+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Why are Darkest Hour, AoD and Iron Cross not part of the same development?

Arsenal of DemocracyCities in MotionDarkest HourFor The GloryHearts of Iron III
    Rome GoldVictoria 2Rome: Vae Victis

Why are Darkest Hour, AoD and Iron Cross not part of the same development?

I'm just curious as I find it bizarre that three (IMO) very similar games/ developments are working separately rather then making one awesome game! I also don't understand why they don't just improve AoD. Are there so many developers just wanting to compete with each other? Please shed some light.
    The man who has no sense of history, is like a man who has no ears or eyes - that guy, you know THAT GUY
    There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know - Harry Truman
    And well, everything can be obvious... but only after you've found it out or someone told you. - Titan79

My first AAR playing as Germany using the AoD Third Reich Mod - currently reached August 1945 - more updates to come

200k clubHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDeus Vult
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by mr_b0narpte View Post
    i'm just curious as i find it bizarre that three (imo) very similar games/ developments are working separately rather then making one awesome game! I also don't understand why they don't just improve aod. Are there so many developers just wanting to compete with each other? Please shed some light.
    +1
    A question by a forum user during the 200k event: "With 200,000 accounts, you must have a fair amount of data to mine. What was the most surprising thing you learned about us, the forumites?" - Johan's answer: "That if someone has not registered a game, he's extremely likely to not have bought it."

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDarkest HourHearts of Iron IIIIron Cross
    Victoria: RevolutionsSemper FiVictoria 2

The 3 teams were unaware of each other, I'm sure. The realities of business prevent some opportunities. That having been said, all 3 are well thought out. I own AoD now and will buy both IC and DH. I would even pay for a 4th product that integrates all three.
    Paradox games - the most fun you can have editing text files

Quote Originally Posted by kodiak491 View Post
    The 3 teams were unaware of each other, I'm sure. The realities of business prevent some opportunities. That having been said, all 3 are well thought out. I own AoD now and will buy both IC and DH. I would even pay for a 4th product that integrates all three.
    I would only pay for the 4th product
    The man who has no sense of history, is like a man who has no ears or eyes - that guy, you know THAT GUY
    There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know - Harry Truman
    And well, everything can be obvious... but only after you've found it out or someone told you. - Titan79

My first AAR playing as Germany using the AoD Third Reich Mod - currently reached August 1945 - more updates to come

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonIron Cross

Blog Entries
    Please, don't talk more about this

All products are differents, with special caracteristics, and differents compatibilities

More variety for the player (will have more options to choice)

But, please, don't continue with this thread

Thanks

A New HOI2 Expansion

El perfeccionamiento traza caminos rectos; pero los torcidos y sin perfeccionar son los caminos del genio.

Improvement makes straight roads; but the crooked roads without improvement are roads of genius

Quote Originally Posted by quintelosky View Post
    All products are differents, with special caracteristics, and differents compatibilities

More variety for the player (will have more options to choice)

Thanks
    One game with loads of mods and scenarios would be much better then 3 games with only slight differences. All those "different compatibilities" should be utilised in one game. And with more developers on one game, updates should come quickly and the game would be *perfect* in no time. Many people working on one game is better then 3 groups of people constantly competing against each other.

Arsenal of DemocracyEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneSengoku
    Sword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Mount & Blade: Warband500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Mr_B0narpte, you just can't give it up can you? I feel kind'a sorry for those por devs

+1 from me to obviously.

Let's just wait for diaries and continue our ramble then.
    Lose your honour on these forums and I'll make you commit seppuku

Go check out my AoD CORE 0.60 AAR!

200k clubAchtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in Motion
    Darkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMagicka
    Majesty 2Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSupreme Ruler 2020 Gold
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: Warband

What if the devs. don't want to make one game? Or have different visions?

Arsenal of DemocracyEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneSengoku
    Sword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Mount & Blade: Warband500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Then a forth group will be tormenting them until they give permission for their work and then unite the best features of all 3 products into one final product, LOL
    Lose your honour on these forums and I'll make you commit seppuku

Go check out my AoD CORE 0.60 AAR!

Quote Originally Posted by Hister View Post
    Then a forth group will be tormenting them until they give permission for their work and then unite the best features of all 3 products into one final product, LOL
    I will be part of that group!

Darkest HourVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided500k club

Blog Entries
    Me too, especially if the map they used combined the 4000 new provinces in Iron Cross, and intergrated them into the E3-based map of Darkest Hour.
    HoI2Geek/IEPH, The Greatest Man in the Universe

My Mods and AARs (currently active): IG(Mod), PNW II(Mod), RotE - tRB(AAR)

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" -George Santayana

"Ang hindi marunong lumingon sa pinanggalingan ay hindi makararating sa paroroonan."(One who does not learn to look back to where he came from, will never get to where he is going.) -Filipino proverb

Yes, those provinces are kinda pointless without a good base map.

4chan is so mature today Storm501's Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDarkest HourHearts of Iron III

Blog Entries
    Just out of curiosity, since you talk about integrating the games, what do you think would happen with the collision of...

Darkest Hour: Pretty much the same amount of provs, and a bit more events as in AoD.

Iron Cross: +4000 new provs and +6000 new events.

Not that I've made statistics or anything, but I would say the ratio of users would go 50-50, either preferring 'AoD - amount of provs and events in DH' compared to the new '4k+6k vision of Iron Cross'.

Who thinks 4000 provs are a bit too complicated? Who thinks 6000 events might be a bit too many popups during the game. But who wouldn't want to try out the sweet map they have made. And sure we're eager to see what the new events are about.

So that's one big reason why the projects are seperate; Their approaches to modelling the game are totally different. So how would that 4th Uber Combo Game work? You could pick in the game menu, hey I wanna play with 4k provinces this time. And let's set the events between 3k-4k, since 6k is a bit too much. Not gonna work. Kinda ironic, if you combine the two games, the player community would split to those who favour mega events and mega provs, and those who want less. So they'll always be something separated.

The devs are perfectly aware how most users have reacted to 3 seperate HoI branches. So let's just be nice and silent, and give them a chance to tell what they're all about, in the dev diaries, k?
    DCT THRED Q41 NEDUL/N0150A030 SAM/N0150F045 DCT SAM283035/N0150F035 DCT BIA
    DCT THRED Q41 ORTAC/N0150A020 DCT ALD/N0150A030 DCT BIA
    DCT SAM283035 DCT EXMOR/N0150F070 N864 MULIT/N0150A035 DCT EX/N0150F050 DCT BIA
    DCT SAM283035 DCT EXMOR/N0150A060 DCT CDF/N0150F055 DCT BIA
    DCT SAM283035 DCT EXMOR/N0150A060 DCT BRI/N0150F055 DCT BIA
    DCT SAM283035/N0150F040 DCT YVL/N0150F055 DCT BIA

RMK/ TRNG REQ 2H PF EGFF 1100 H RI EGHH 1230

Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron III Collection
    Iron CrossSword of the Stars500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

also remember with darkest hour the game is starting in 1914 so you have 22 years of event to go thru if you playing a grand campaign type of game
    It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets. -Voltaire

If you can't get them to salute when they should salute and wear the clothes you tell them to wear, how are you going to get them to die for their country?
    - General George Patton Jr

I feel that this licensing scheme is going to be a disappointment if these two games aren't the final WWII HOI2 spinoff. I had hoped that making the engine available to teams would open up to WWI-centered games, Cold War-centered games, even alternate history scenarios similar to Kaiserreich. All this makes me glad that I never bought AoD. Whether Paradox is willing to admit it or not, they are giving their fans the choice between either buying all of these games, or choosing between AoD, IC, and DH. Or two out of three.

Because honestly, how many times can you wage the same damn war with the same engine?

Darkest Hour Game Designer Fernando Torres's Avatar
    Achtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings II
    Commander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest HourDeus VultEast India CompanyEast India Company Collection
    Elven Legacy CollectionEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteFor The GloryFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneIron CrossLegioThe Kings Crusade
    Lost Empire - ImmortalsMagickaMajesty 2Penumbra - Black PlagueVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper FiSengokuShip Simulator Extremes
    Supreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler: Cold WarSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

Blog Entries
    Darkest Hour: Pretty much the same amount of provs, and a bit more events as in AoD.
    Sorry, wrong.

Please stop speculating about DH and IC.
    It makes absolutely no sense as one will be able to make them work together.
    DH and AOD are two separate games. IC is an expansion. Period. You will make your opinion when they are released. In the meantime there are development diaries. Move on, people.

ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΣΩΤΗΡΟΣ ΜΕΝΑΝΔΡΟΥ eleinvisible's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDivine WindFor The GloryMarch of the EaglesVictoria: Revolutions
    Rome GoldSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by Strategos' Risk View Post
    Because honestly, how many times can you wage the same damn war with the same engine?
    I don't know about you but upwards of 50% of my gaming time is spent with HOI2 and AOD, so I would say a lot. The fact that the games run on the same engine is irrelevant, what is important is the magnitude of the changes. I wish people would stop belittling the differences, it is offensive to the work these developers and modders are doing. Honestly, if you have a problem with these games -- don't buy them. That will tell Paradox more than incessant complaining... Sorry if I come off harsh, it just seems weird that people complain about more content especially since it wasn't originally planned (unlike what other publishers seem to think DLC is all about).
    It would be consistent with the German character for a criminal condemned to death to be simply given a piece of rope, and told to go and hang himself.

Quote Originally Posted by kiahoga View Post
    also remember with darkest hour the game is starting in 1914 so you have 22 years of event to go thru if you playing a grand campaign type of game
    They have already stated in the first Development Diary that there won't be a single Grand Campaign from 1914 to 1964, but several different campaign. So I guess that if you start in 1914 you will be able to play only for some years and stop before 1936.

Quote Originally Posted by eleinvisible View Post
    I don't know about you but upwards of 50% of my gaming time is spent with HOI2 and AOD, so I would say a lot.
    Ah, but you don't have to pay the price of a new game every time you fire off a new campaign in either game, now, do you?

AoD was supposed to be HOI: perfect edition. Now we have more games built off the same engine, about the same time period, competing with it. It's really watering down the brand. If I want to get a definitive, complete, WWII game based on the HOI2 engine, which one am I supposed to buy?

I wish people would stop belittling the differences, it is offensive to the work these developers and modders are doing.
    Well I'm sorry, but if I want to get a better experience out of an engine, I can download mods and keep them or delete them. I don't want to have to buy a whole new game every single time I want a new experience with the engine. And please forgive me if I don't think you can exactly create RUSE or Commandos out of the HOI engine. I doubt you'll get a fundamentally different gameplay experience out of DH vs. IC vs. AoD. Instead, consumers will be left deciding between different kinds of improved AI, different kinds of more events, more provinces vs. more nations.

What is this, Madden?

Honestly, if you have a problem with these games -- don't buy them. That will tell Paradox more than incessant complaining... Sorry if I come off harsh, it just seems weird that people complain about more content especially since it wasn't originally planned (unlike what other publishers seem to think DLC is all about).
    Don't worry, I won't be buying these games.

Quote Originally Posted by Strategos' Risk View Post
    I had hoped that making the engine available to teams would open up to WWI-centered games, Cold War-centered games, even alternate history scenarios similar to Kaiserreich.
    Agreed. It's quite disappointing that we have three HoI2 source code projects that only seem to be improvements to the base game. Meanwhile, Vicky and CK never had any such projects, and For the Glory seems to be dead. I really wish people would stop making and buying games about the WWII era.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast