+ Reply to Thread
Page 116 of 233 FirstFirst ... 16 41 66 91 106 114 115 116 117 118 126 141 166 191 216 ... LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,320 of 4655

Thread: Suggestions

Can Slovenia merely be a irrendentist claim for the Yugoslavians? It seems like a stretch, since it was only acquired in the late 1940's after the Second Great War.
    Nationality: British, living in the provinces-in-revolt of British North America, New York.
    Ideology: Reactionary.
    Issues: British Pan-nationalism
    Current work: PROVINCE_NAME
    Cash reserves: 50
    Revolt risk: 99%
    Militancy: 10
    Consciousness: 10
    "The biggest argument against democracy is a five minute discussion with the average voter." -Winston Churchill
    "The absolute ruler may be a Nero, but he is sometimes a Titus or Marc Aurelius; the people is often Nero, but never Marc Aurelius." -Rivarol

Actually according to what I've read your incorrect Slovenia was a member of the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats, and Slovenes(AKA Yugoslavia) from its formation after WW1 however it did not hold all of present Slovenia due to Istria being granted to Italy as part of the WW1 terms.

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneVictoria 2

Quote Originally Posted by KanyeWest View Post
    Can Slovenia merely be a irrendentist claim for the Yugoslavians? It seems like a stretch, since it was only acquired in the late 1940's after the Second Great War.
    Unnecessary. Yugoslavia can be formed without Slovenia, and if it does will get cores on Slovenia anyhow.

Erm, then I've got a problem; I was trying to form Yugoslavia, and it stated that the Croatian cores I needed were not complete (the last one being Fiume in Istria), and when I managed to pull out yet another victory against the Austro-Hungarians, the decision box went green for a split second and then the decision to form Yugoslavia disappeared entirely. I think this may be a problem.
    Nationality: British, living in the provinces-in-revolt of British North America, New York.
    Ideology: Reactionary.
    Issues: British Pan-nationalism
    Current work: PROVINCE_NAME
    Cash reserves: 50
    Revolt risk: 99%
    Militancy: 10
    Consciousness: 10
    "The biggest argument against democracy is a five minute discussion with the average voter." -Winston Churchill
    "The absolute ruler may be a Nero, but he is sometimes a Titus or Marc Aurelius; the people is often Nero, but never Marc Aurelius." -Rivarol

Arsenal of DemocracyDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III Collection
    Heir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2Victoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

Quote Originally Posted by KanyeWest View Post
    Erm, then I've got a problem; I was trying to form Yugoslavia, and it stated that the Croatian cores I needed were not complete (the last one being Fiume in Istria), and when I managed to pull out yet another victory against the Austro-Hungarians, the decision box went green for a split second and then the decision to form Yugoslavia disappeared entirely. I think this may be a problem.
    That's weird... You definitely shouldn't need any of Istria to form Yugoslavia to begin with.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneKing Arthur IIMajesty 2Victoria: Revolutions
    Rome GoldSengokuSword of the StarsSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020 Gold
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordHearts of Iron: The Card Game
    Pride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Now I know there have been a lot of discussion with russia. I mean I would even go as far as to say to make them an uncivillised nation due to there serfdom but I wonder if this is a possibility instead,

Could you make a new reform and call it Land or something along those lines. The two choices being

Serfdom
    Freedom ( not sure about this name)

Now if serfdom is the selected reform could you make it so that both the player and capitalists cants build any factories?

this way Russia having serfdom can actually mean something instead of being modifiers.

Anyways sorry IF this post is confusing
    "In the Soviet Union, capitalism triumphed over communism. In this country, capitalism triumphed over democracy." - Fran Lebowitz

Quote Originally Posted by dskod1 View Post
    Now I know there have been a lot of discussion with russia. I mean I would even go as far as to say to make them an uncivillised nation due to there serfdom but I wonder if this is a possibility instead,

Could you make a new reform and call it Land or something along those lines. The two choices being

Serfdom
    Freedom ( not sure about this name)

Now if serfdom is the selected reform could you make it so that both the player and capitalists cants build any factories?

this way Russia having serfdom can actually mean something instead of being modifiers.

Anyways sorry IF this post is confusing
    That sounds like way to hard of a nerf for Russia. But what if it was a state-by-state modifier? As in no factory can be built in a state with a province that has a "Serfdom" modifier, though it would probably make more sense if poor pop craftsmen demotion was nerfed by a nationwide modifier instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Dichromate View Post
    That's weird... You definitely shouldn't need any of Istria to form Yugoslavia to begin with.
    You don't. Assuming that their countries don't exist, you need all the cores for Croatia, Serbia and Bosnia either owned or the owner in your sphere. In order for the decision to be visible, meanwhile, only requires that the country be South Slavic and Yugoslavia doesn't already exist.

Arsenal of DemocracyDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III Collection
    Heir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2Victoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband

Quote Originally Posted by Rylock View Post
    You don't. Assuming that their countries don't exist, you need all the cores for Croatia, Serbia and Bosnia either owned or the owner in your sphere. In order for the decision to be visible, meanwhile, only requires that the country be South Slavic and Yugoslavia doesn't already exist.
    Yeah but there are Croatian cores in Istria (basically where the modern borders are)- I don't have an install on this computer so I can't look at the decision, but unless those are specifically ignored, they would be required to form Yugoslavia then.

Quote Originally Posted by Dichromate View Post
    Yeah but there are Croatian cores in Istria (basically where the modern borders are)- I don't have an install on this computer so I can't look at the decision, but unless those are specifically ignored, they would be required to form Yugoslavia then.
    Are there Croatian cores in Istria? If so, then yes, Istria would be required even if Slovenia itself is not.

Probably what I will do at some point is switch the decision over to the newer one I use in NNM, which requires control over the three capital cities and not all the cores.

Crusader Kings IIVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2

I`m thinking about the mod and one of the things that bother me the most is the fact that factories are too easy to build for the capitlists.
    For instance they are so cheap to build that when a capi doesnt build the type of factory i want, i simply exclude the factory and wait a week or two until they start biulding another and do this until the factory i want is being built.
    I bilieve that the cost to build should be increased as in VRRP. Why it isnt?
    This would also increasy heavilly the demands for cement, steel and other factory building goods as Capitalists would have to buy much more of those to be able to build a new facoty.

Firstly, factories aren't exactly cheap - most use 200-300 resources minimum.

Secondly, making them more expensive simply makes the market for the materials used spiky and unreliable, leading to silly boom-bust cycles in raw materials. Just take a look at some of the more ridiculous shortages VRRP suffers - like the '99 machine parts for 1500 demand' thing. It also unfairly advantages the UK and makes it much harder for anyone else to industrialize at all.
    For every subtle and complicated question, there is a simple and straightforward answer, which is wrong.

Creator of PDM:PoD for Heart of Darkness: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...ownload-thread
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand Creator of '1792' for March of the Eagles: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...69074-1792-mod

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Right now, unciv reforming is balanced such that the most efficient way to reform is, after passing certain key reforms, to store up all your RPs and do it all at once, because of the fact that usually you end out with large numbers of reactionaries, reforming converts them to conservatives. I don't think this is good gameplay wise. This would be fixed if Uncivs could get more liberals to outweigh the expense increase caused by reactionaries, so overall, as you reform it may get more expensive, because you're losing liberals.

Obviously, having more liberals might make reforming too cheap, but it wouldn't be too hard to rebalance the costs to take this into account.

For instance, it should really be somehow possible as an unciv to try and push your pops towards liberalism, but I haven't figured it out. Instead I inevitably slide towards reactionaryism, necessitating such gamey tactics in order to civilize as quickly as possible.

Also certain reforms are too much of a no-brainer, for instance madrassahs/universities. Besides the occasional unciv with overly pressing military issues, almost everyone will always beeline those. Also, the naval reforms are a little pointless. Perhaps there should be naval reforms that grant you a clipper/steamer shipyard, and access to basic steam ships. Not much point in passing those naval reforms when your navy will never stand up to a western navy, and you mightn't even be able to build one due to a lack of clippers/steamers.
    Last edited by Don_Quigleone; 08-05-2012 at 02:39.

Quote Originally Posted by Don_Quigleone View Post
    Right now, unciv reforming is balanced such that the most efficient way to reform is, after passing certain key reforms, to store up all your RPs and do it all at once, because of the fact that usually you end out with large numbers of reactionaries, reforming converts them to conservatives. I don't think this is good gameplay wise. This would be fixed if Uncivs could get more liberals to outweigh the expense increase caused by reactionaries, so overall, as you reform it may get more expensive, because you're losing liberals.

Obviously, having more liberals might make reforming too cheap, but it wouldn't be too hard to rebalance the costs to take this into account.

For instance, it should really be somehow possible as an unciv to try and push your pops towards liberalism, but I haven't figured it out. Instead I inevitably slide towards reactionaryism, necessitating such gamey tactics in order to civilize as quickly as possible.

Also certain reforms are too much of a no-brainer, for instance madrassahs/universities. Besides the occasional unciv with overly pressing military issues, almost everyone will always beeline those. Also, the naval reforms are a little pointless. Perhaps there should be naval reforms that grant you a clipper/steamer shipyard, and access to basic steam ships. Not much point in passing those naval reforms when your navy will never stand up to a western navy, and you mightn't even be able to build one due to a lack of clippers/steamers.
    Yeah, I'm not done with unciv reforms yet tbh. There's problems, tho - I can't give you steamers, for example, since second-or-higher techs disappear once you civ, and it can lock out inventions. And as for how to get uncivs to become more liberal.... aside from simply the literacy effect, it's hard to see a sensible mechanism for doing so.
    For every subtle and complicated question, there is a simple and straightforward answer, which is wrong.

Creator of PDM:PoD for Heart of Darkness: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...ownload-thread
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand Creator of '1792' for March of the Eagles: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...69074-1792-mod

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Naselus View Post
    Yeah, I'm not done with unciv reforms yet tbh. There's problems, tho - I can't give you steamers, for example, since second-or-higher techs disappear once you civ, and it can lock out inventions. And as for how to get uncivs to become more liberal.... aside from simply the literacy effect, it's hard to see a sensible mechanism for doing so.
    Well, right now, for aristocrats, there is a scaling factor of 3.0 towards reactionary, and another 0.3 scaling factor towards liberal, in their ideology table. If you tweaked or removed those, you might get a better balance. Also, perhaps the "Civilization vs. Gunboats" events need to be tweaked, as there also a big reason there's a lot of reactionaries, along with reforms always producing a large militancy increase. That said, it's okay for the population at large to become reactionary(hence rebellious), so long as it doesn't extend into aristocrats (who, of course, produce the upper house).

Anyway, liberal/reactionary should be treated relatively. Liberals in an unciv might not be liberals in a civ, for instance many of Meiji's supporters would be "liberal", while not really fitting the definition otherwise. In this case, liberal should mean "pro-western" and reactionary "anti-western" with conservative in the middle.

Perhaps to compensate, after westernizing uncivs should get a large bump towards reactionary/conservative (in order to prevent them suddenly passing loads of reforms).

As for steamboats, what if the Commerce Raiders was a tier 1 invention, but requiring more pre-reqs. Or would it be possible to grant Commerce Raiders by event somehow? Also, could a steamer shipyard be granted without it's technology/invention.

On the flipside, you could make commerce raiders a tier 1 ship, but have a lot of it's strength come from Tier 2 inventions, that can be mimicked in the unciv reforms?

Either way, an unciv with full land reforms can hold it's own against a western power, on land, but it's pointless at sea.
    Last edited by Don_Quigleone; 08-05-2012 at 19:23.

Lt. General
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneMarch of the EaglesSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

The worlds biggest town in the middle of nowhere
    I really think we need to work on the whole German federation/ unification of Germany a bit. Here are my suggested tweaks plus my justifications for them
    -Remove German Empire/NGC Cores that overlap with polish cores. While cores are added progressively if it is controlled or sphered by the country who formed the NGC or Empire, they are not added if controlled by let’s say, Russia. If a mainland European war breaks out and the Prussians lose, they must do it by all of the governments being overthrown by pan nationalists, while it would still be historically possible to do so without Poland being controlled. The cores are added again after the German Empire is formed.
    This is to allow a weaker Prussia to still unite Germany. It would likely allow for Germany to form more often, as a single loss can delay the NGC until the 1900’s
    -If a province is controlled by the NGC or German Empire and it is also a core, an event should fire to remove the old German countries cores after 10-20 years, as at that point it would be well integrated into the empire and not seek independence.
    Enough said, not a major issue, but it’s still worth considering
    -Cores on every province in the world. There are enough minor countries that could have formed that it does not make sense that there are not cores on every province. I know this will require a decent amount of research, but please, consider it
    This is mainly to allow the release of provinces controlled by rebels for a long period of time, and to allow the breakup of larger colonial powers easier in the early game. (*cough* Netherlands *cough*)
    Prussian cores should also have a long of possible to release countries. Look at some of the Holy Roman Empire countries
    This is mainly to allow the breakup of the Prussians by the Austrian. It’s called German Duality for a reason; it could have gone either way.
    -If the Southern German confederation is a satellite of the Austrians, and the year is after 1900, the Austrians should be able to annex it and bring it into the Austro-Hungarian Empire (If that has formed). This should cost a decent amount of infamy, but they will be cores of the Empire.
    If the Austrians did well, I suspect they would eventually annex a South German confederation in an alternate universe.
    -A United Germany under the Hapsburgs is right now is impossibly idiotic and stupid, as it must give up all non-German cores. I am suggesting that the North is divided into several dominions to prevent them from becoming great powers easily, and have them all be satellites of the Austrians.
    Again, why would you ever want to form Germany as the Austrians, you have to give up a ton of territory.

-Hungarian victory over the Austrian should mean more than the end of the empire. There should be a new rebel type called German Unionists that advocate with a Union with Greater Germany. If they take over, all Hungarian and Italian cores are returned (if they don’t exist, release the countries inside of it along modern borders for Hungary, and the individual states instead of Italy.) and release any cores along modern borders. The Austrians then annex themselves into Germany and the Germans gain cores. This should only happen if the Hungarians still exist, and Germany has formed.
    -The breakup of Belgium is being discussed today as quite a possibility, and I don’t see why not. We have a Disunited states chain don’t we, and that was even more unlikely to have happened. While I know there is a rebel system in the game, and the country can change into Flanders and Wallonia, a great possibility would be the ascension into France and the Netherlands. So if the two countries split apart, the Netherlands and France should gain cores on them, and there should be the possibility of them conquering the two. France should also start with Wallonia as an accepted culture.
    It is being discussed as a possibility back then, and I mean there still is tons of tension between the two, so it is a distinct possibility in the time frame
    -Switzerland is also a multi ethnic country that could have broken apart. If the country is torn apart by rebels, the cantons can start to declare independence. There will also be an event that makes the areas South German, Italian, and French. If such a thing happens, the great powers of France, Italy and Germany/ Austria should have the possibility to claim the area and bring them into their empires,
    Switzerland should remain static in most games, but as always there should be a possibility

After having taken two classes on Modern Arab/Middle Eastern history, I find it confusing as to why (at least in PDM) there is a "Muslim" Lebanon and "Christian" Lebanon. If you look into history, the Muslims (including the Druze and the Greek Orthodox) where staunchly against the French establishing a mandate in Lebanon, and boycotted parliament. Instead many of them continued to support Amir Faysal and his fight for "Greater" Syria (modern day Palestine, Syria, Jordan, Lebanon). The only group in the entire Middle East that specifically asked the French to establish a mandate was the Maronites of Lebanon, who sought to increase their political clout throughout the greater Lebanon area (including the Biqa valley, which was mostly Muslim).

So can someone explain why there are two Lebanon's? If this is somehow referring to the Lebanese Civil War, I can assure you that would be too late for this game. Otherwise I do not understand the historical background for this specific decision. What I'm basically saying that the so called "Muslim Lebanon" would have stuck with Syria, and otherwise that leaves "Lebanon" the name given and supported by the Maronites and later on other Lebanese communities.

Also I was wondering, is there a "Mandate"/"League of Nations" type system setup in the mod somewhere or in some fashion? It would be cool if you could demand for a country to be mandated to you, but you would need to pay extra costs as you setup their government and try to modernize them.

PS. In a PDM, shouldn't Austria start off as "Austria-Hungary"? I am quite confused as to why they have to wait until Hungary rebels and then create "Austria-Hungary", seems a bit strange... Is there historical basis for this?
    Last edited by The Turk2; 12-05-2012 at 03:24.

MM Prime Minister in Exile Vishaing's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the Eagles
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

@Connor Mulhern: I have actually added in my version, a unique decision for Austria to perform their own 'Lesser Germany'. Essentially all it does is it gives them North German as an accepted culture and allows them to slowly accumulate cores on lands that they own that are cores of Germany. It does not inherit any nations or make satellites but does increase influence on any non-GP German State, the idea behind it was purely so I could recruit North Germans into my Regular Army. It also sets a country flag that let's Austria take some of the Germany-Exclusive Decisions like the one to construct the Super-Port in Kiel, or to encourage the Rhur Boom or the Krupp Families. It also prevents them from forming Austria-Hungary and increases militancy in their Eastern Territories, in the case of the Hungarians, by quite a lot (5).

It will also prevent Prussia from taking their damnable country specific 'Prussian General Staff' decision and remove the modifier if they have already taken the decision.

This Decision requires that Austria own a province with North German Culture, and fulfill one of two lesser unification criteria; either no other German State is a great power, or Austria has to own Alsace-Lorraine and Sleiswig-Holstein (own, not satellite or sphere). Basically you have to prove that you are a legitimate candidate for uniting and leading Germany. But it also requires that they own some extra-German lands. So if you have released the Eastern Territories your only choice is to go for Greater Germany.

In my last completed game, I broke up Prussia, by adding cores for and them releasing the Rheinland and Westfalen, [which are in the game but given no cores], then sphered/satellited all of Germany and left it like that till the end of the game. In the end I actually had a very small NGF form without Prussia or Hanover, with just a few territories in Central Germany and Saxony. I Didn't form the SGF because its too easy for them to become a GP again, and gave the Polish Corridor to Russia to further weaken Prussia. Germany's Map was... Weird.

This is the same game where Italy formed in the North without the Papal State (by that point the Republic of Rome) or Two Sicilies, and was for some reason a Dominion of Austria.

I'm working on a full redesign of the German Unification System, which I'll eventually post as a mod-submod.

EDIT: I'm not sure if it has been changed, but it used to be that Austria couldn't ever form Yugoslavia as a satellite SGF style. I think an Austria that is suitably Liberal or Decentralized should be able to take the Decision, because there are plenty of times I have sphered all of the Balkans and have wanted to consolidate my Sphere into a single Kingdom.
    Imperium in Imperio -:- EUIV Edition CKII Edition

Vishaing's Idea Corner -:- EUIV Modding Tools, Areas of Interest, Free Relations, Simple Character System, Re-Re-Thinking Ideas, War and Peace, Simplified Population System, Reforming Monarch Points, Fixing Rotten Attitudes

NOTE: Your Definition of 'soon' Might differ from Mine.

Yeah Austria could do with some love.
    There really does need to be a path for German unification for them that doesn't require manual releasing of satellites - partly because the AI will never do it, and partly because it's messy and often results in you losing some of your Austrian cores. (like in Istria if you have to release Croatia - the only other way to lose Dalmatia being to intentionally lose a war, which is absurd).

For example, the inherit SGF and Form Germany decisions ought to have an alternative version that releases Hungary(including Croatia), Galicia, and any other non-cores - if Italy exists perhaps ceding Dalmatia and Venice (but not Istria) to them and granting a big relations boost, otherwise releasing Venice and giving them Dalmatia. Actually thinking about it though, if Austria has lost its non-german lands and taken over south Germany, it might as well then tag-switch to become the SGF itself. Not that it matters that much though.

In general, 'what if Austria doesn't survive 1848?' and 'What if Austria actually wins?' are both paths worth exploring.
    If Austria remains a GP after losing Hungary though, while it should lose or be forced to Vassalize non-cores, it shouldn't necessarily be annexed that easily into Germany - as long as it's a GP, a Habsburg Germany would be very much possible.

Also, the Imperial restoration CB really isn't appropriate for Hungary - if they're attempting to reconquer Hungary, it really needs to be a conquest CB.

After playing several USA games I think immigration to the USA should be increased. I believe there is to little emigration from Europe to begin with and half of the time, POP's emigrate to south America. Perhaps the RGO size of USA provinces in the west could also be increased, since they get filled up by the 1890's, even though there are sometimes less than 50k people in a province. This is most annoying in california, which by 1900 should have almost 1.5m people living there (historically) but usually ends up with only 400k pops at most because RGO's are filled.

+ Reply to Thread