+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Alexspeed´s Untransparent Map Mod for Victoria 2

Art - Games - History Alexspeed's Avatar
    92 games registered

200k clubAchtung PanzerHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: Armageddon
    Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    DiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossKing Arthur IIThe Kings Crusade
    MagickaMajesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionPenumbra - Black Plague
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesHearts of Iron: The Card GameCK2: Holy Knight
    EU3 Collectors EditionKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Blog Entries

Alexspeed´s Untransparent Map Mod for Victoria 2

Alexspeed´s Untransparent Map Mod for Victoria 2

Also try out:
    Alexspeed´s MIP - Map Improvment Package for Victoria 2.
    Alexspeed´s Canvas Worldmap for Victoria 2.
    Alexspeed´s SexiiColours Intense for Victoria 2.
    Alexspeed´s Clear Map Overlay for Victoria 2.

More Pictures in the following posts.

Ladies & Gentlemen,
    alot of pepole mentioned they would prefer a non see through map,
    after alot of work and tweaking, i am now able to present you this!

It is basically a new customised "terrain_2_0.fx" file,
    that adjusts the Fog of War to be less dark in all mapmodes and,
    i was able to tweak all map modes, besides the terrain map, to be intransparent.

Big thanks to Modestus for his advice with the fog of war adjustment,
    and everyone else who contributed in some way.

The release of this means in no way that the work is over, there is still alot to improve,
    and everyone is invited to take this mod i present you here and build on it, improve it,
    integrate it in his work, or work on it further and/or release better versions,
    this is just the begining of what can, or could be done with modifying .fx files and shaders,
    and its limited by my knowledge of modding these files.

I documented the changed settings in this mod to the best of my abilitys in the file itself,
    and also in the thread Map modding - Discussion, Questions & Updates, look there for more info on modding .fx files.
    I hope it helps anyone that wants to tweak them, but if you have further questions just ask and i will help as good as i can.

I hope you will enjoy the Untransparent Map Mod

The Mod:

This Mod changes all map modes besides the terrain map to be intransparent.
    Also it includes a new lessened fog of war on the terrain map that is adjustable.
    (thanks to Modestus for some code)
    The Fog of War on the other map modes is less intense too.

You dont have to rebuild your cache for this mod,
    but please make backups of all your files before you replace them,
    just in case you want to revert the changes.

This mod is compatible to my MIP - Map Improvment Package (just overwrite the "terrain_2_0.fx" file from MIP with the one from this mod),
    my Sexiicolors Intense, my Canvas Worldmap and my Clear Map Overlay.
    Its also compatible to Danevangs V2 Map Fertilizer 1.01,
    and i reccomend using it with CaptRobau's Map Font Mini-Mod 1.0 because it looks better on the untransparent map.
    Modestus Re-textured map for Victoria II should be compatible too, but i didnt test it jet with this.

If you want to give feedback or encounter any problems with this modification, please let me know

About the integration of this Mod in other Projects:

If you want to integrate this Mod into your Mod, or improve it, you can do so without asking.
    If you credit me or set a link to this thread it would be nice but its not mandatory.
    You can let me know if you did something with this mod, i would be happy to see it
    If you do have further questions just ask me here or via Private Message.

This mod is included in the SiR mod by Nashetovich, Thank you!

The Work:

The first Version of this Mod was created on Sept. 16, 2010
    It is intended for use with Victoria 2 1.2
    (Version for Victoria 2 1.1 in older versions section)

This mod is tested and works fine with Victoria 2 - Version 1.2!

You are free to use this mod with your original of Victoria 2
    You may redistribute freely, but dont claim it as your own work nor charge money for it.

The latest release is Untransparent Map Mod 1.1

Included in this Release:
    - 1 folder with subfolder, including a .fx-file
    - 1 readme.txt file

Please note that this mod is NOT working correctly with the Victoria 2 Expansion - A House Divided.

As Paradox changed alot on the UI and some of the map modes, its likely that it wont work as its intended to if you use it with the Expansion.
    So if you choose to try it out, do it on your own risk and be prepared to reinstall the game/uninstall the mod in case it dosent work.
    If you do try it out, please report back if you had any issues.

I plan to get back on the mod eventually to make it work with the expansion if its needed, but i have no timefrane yet for this in mind.
    Thank you in any case for your interrest and support =)

The Download:

click here: Untransparent Map Mod 1.1
    Download Mirror: here

-----

There is a new working version for AHD here: Untransparent Map Mod (AHD)
    Apparently some pepole have trouble downloading it from gamefront, so here is a mirror i made: Mirror download
    This is not done by me, Indrister posted it in the thread so i am linking it here as well.

To Use:

- Go to your "..\Victoria 2\gfx\FX" Folder,
    make a backup of the "terrain_2_0.fx"-file in there,
    save it at a secure place, in case you want to revert to the original file.

- Then copy the "terrain_2_0.fx"-file from this archive over your original.

Launch Victoria 2 and enjoy!

Changelist:

1.0: initial release
    1.1: adapted the changes in the file to the new game version 1.2

Old Versions:

Version for Victoria 1.1:
    Untransparent Map Mod 1.0, adfree Mirror

------------ Pictures in the following Postings --------------
    Last edited by Alexspeed; 06-07-2013 at 04:29.
    Platypus rutilus, in hoc signo vinces - In honorem Paradox!
    Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign for a diseased mind! – Terry Pratchett
    ----------- -----------
    Alexspeed´s MIP - Map Improvment Package and Untransparent Map Mod for Victoria 2.
    Alexspeed´s Canvas Worldmap, SexiiColours Intense and Clear Map Overlay for Victoria 2.

Mount & Blade Custom Flag Tutorial - Alexspeed´s Victoria 2 Wallpapers and Loadscreens & Wallpapers for EU3

Member of The Iconians Club 50 and the 200k Club - - Proud Owner of the SAS Award for Forum Dedication.
    My finished Victoria 2 AAR Contest - My AwAARds: Fan of the Week: 7-Nov-2010

92 games registered

200k clubAchtung PanzerHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: Armageddon
    DiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossKing Arthur IIThe Kings Crusade
    MagickaMajesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionPenumbra - Black Plague
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesHearts of Iron: The Card GameCK2: Holy Knight
    EU3 Collectors EditionKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Blog Entries
    Pictures for the Untransparent Map Mod:

Version 1.0

New adjustable Fog of War on the Terrain Map:

Middle-Far Zoom:

Middle-Near Zoom:

Diplomatic Mapmode:

Regions Mapmode:

Revoltrisk Mapmode:

Administrative Mapmode:

Last edited by Alexspeed; 16-09-2010 at 12:48.
    Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign for a diseased mind! – Terry Pratchett
    ----------- -----------
    Alexspeed´s MIP - Map Improvment Package and Untransparent Map Mod for Victoria 2.
    Alexspeed´s Canvas Worldmap, SexiiColours Intense and Clear Map Overlay for Victoria 2.

Mount & Blade Custom Flag Tutorial - Alexspeed´s Victoria 2 Wallpapers and Loadscreens & Wallpapers for EU3

Member of The Iconians Club 50 and the 200k Club - - Proud Owner of the SAS Award for Forum Dedication.

92 games registered

Blog Entries
    Changed lines in the terrain_2_0.fx:

Version 1.0 & 1.1

Start of file:

Code:
    const float3 GREYIFY = float3( 0.623529, 0.619607, 0.623529 );         //changed FoW color, terrain map

//const float3 GREYIFY = float3( 0.212671, 0.715160, 0.072169 );     ////////original line

//float3 ApplyFOWColor( float3 c, float FOW )                          //// this section is outcommented for the new terrain fow adjustment
    //{
    //    float Grey = dot( c.rgb, GREYIFY );
    //    return lerp( Grey.rrr * 0.4, c.rgb, FOW > 0.8 ? 1.0 : 0.3 );
    //}
    Map fragment shaders:

Code:
    float4 PixelShader_Map2_0_General( VS_MAP_OUTPUT v ) : COLOR
    {

TILE_STRUCT s;
        s.vTexCoord1 = v.vTexCoord1;
        s.vColorTexCoord = v.vColorTexCoord;
        s.vTerrainIndexColor = v.vTerrainIndexColor;
        s.vTexCoord0 = v.vTexCoord0.xy;

float4 TerrainColor = GenerateTiles( s );

//float Grey = dot( TerrainColor.rgb, GREYIFY ); 				////////original line
     	//TerrainColor.rgb = Grey;						////////original line
    	//TerrainColor *= White;						////////original line

float2 vProvinceUV = v.vProvinceId + 0.5f;
        vProvinceUV /= PROVINCE_LOOKUP_SIZE;

float4 Color1 = tex2D( GeneralTexture, vProvinceUV ) - 0.7;
    	float4 Color2 = tex2D( GeneralTexture2, vProvinceUV ) - 0.7;

float vColor = tex2D( StripesTexture, v.vTerrainTexCoord ).a;
    	//float4 Color = lerp(Color1, Color2, vColor);				////////original line
    	float4 Color = Color2 * vColor + Color1 * ( 0.775 - vColor );		////////0.775 value changes greyness

Color.rgb = lerp(White, Color.rgb, 0.575);				////////intransparent political map, color intensity= 0.575
    	Color.rgb *= COLOR_LIGHTNESS - 0.225;					////////intransparent political map, brightness= 0.225

//Color.rgb = lerp(TerrainColor.rgb, Color.rgb, 0.3);		////////original line
    	//Color.rgb *= COLOR_LIGHTNESS;					////////original line
    									////////no alpha value changing necessary here
    	return Color;
    }
    Code:
    float4 PixelShader_Map2_0( VS_MAP_OUTPUT v ) : COLOR
    {

TILE_STRUCT s;
        s.vTexCoord1 = v.vTexCoord1;
        s.vColorTexCoord = v.vColorTexCoord;
        s.vTexCoord0 = v.vTexCoord0.xy;

float4 OutColor = GenerateTiles( s );
    	OutColor.rgb *= LIGHTNESS;

float2 vProvinceUV = v.vProvinceId + 0.5f;
        vProvinceUV /= PROVINCE_LOOKUP_SIZE;

float4 FogColor = tex2D( GeneralTexture, vProvinceUV );

//Winter
    	float Grey = dot( OutColor.rgb, GREYIFY );
    	OutColor.rgb = lerp( OutColor.rgb, Grey.rrr, FogColor.b );
    	OutColor.rgb += float3(FogColor.b,FogColor.b,FogColor.b)*0.3;

// FOW /////////////////
    	OutColor.rgb *= lerp(0.65, 1.0, FogColor.r);                  ////////NEW FOW Adjustment for terrain map 0.65 value changes fow
    	//OutColor.rgb = ApplyFOWColor( OutColor.rgb, FogColor.r);    ////////outcommented original line
    	OutColor.rgb += FogColor.g;
    	///////////////////

return OutColor;
    }
    Beach shader:

Code:
    float4 PixelShader_Beach_General( VS_OUTPUT_BEACH v ) : COLOR
    {

TILE_STRUCT s;
    	s.vTexCoord1 = v.vColorTexCoord;
    	s.vColorTexCoord = v.vBorderTexCoord0;
    	s.vTexCoord0 = v.vTexCoordBase;

float4 y1 = GenerateTiles( s );

/////////////////

//float Grey = dot( y1.rgb, GREYIFY );				////////original line
     	//y1.rgb = Grey * White;					////////original line

float2 borderoffset = v.vBorderOffsetColor.rg + float2(-0.001/256,0);
    	float4 Color1 = tex2D( GeneralTexture, borderoffset );
    	float4 Color2 = tex2D( GeneralTexture2, borderoffset );

float vColor = tex2D( StripesTexture, v.vTerrainIndexColor ).a;
    	//float4 Color = lerp( Color1, Color2, vColor ) - 0.7;			////////original line
    	float4 Color = Color2 * vColor + Color1 * ( 0.755 - vColor );		////////0.755 value changes greyness

Color.rgb = lerp(White, Color.rgb, 0.825);			////////intransparent political map, color intensity= 0.825
    	Color.rgb *= COLOR_LIGHTNESS - 0.325; 				////////intransparent political map, brightness= 0.325

//Color.rgb = lerp(y1.rgb, Color.rgb, 0.3);		////////original line
    	//Color.rgb *= COLOR_LIGHTNESS;				////////original line
    	Color.a = 0.755;				/////Adjust sea border alpha by adjusting value 0.755
    	//Color.a = 1;						////////original line
    	return Color;
    }
    Beach shader 2:

Code:
    float4 PixelShader_Beach( VS_OUTPUT_BEACH v ) : COLOR
    {
        TILE_STRUCT s;
        s.vTexCoord1 = v.vColorTexCoord;
        s.vColorTexCoord = v.vBorderTexCoord0;
        s.vTexCoord0 = v.vTexCoordBase;

float4 OutColor = GenerateTiles( s );

//return OutColor;

// FOW /////////////////

float3 FogColor = tex2D( GeneralTexture, v.vBorderOffsetColor.rg + float2(-0.001/256,0)).rgb;

OutColor.rgb *= lerp(0.65, 1.0, FogColor.r);            ////////NEW FOW Adjustment for terrain map 0.65 value changes fow
        //OutColor.rgb = ApplyFOWColor( OutColor.rgb, FogColor.r);    ////////original line
        OutColor.rgb += FogColor.g*1.1;

//Winter
        float Grey = dot( OutColor.rgb, GREYIFY );
        OutColor.rgb = lerp( OutColor.rgb, Grey.rrr, FogColor.b );
        OutColor.rgb += float3(FogColor.b,FogColor.b,FogColor.b)*0.3;

return OutColor;
    }
    Last edited by Alexspeed; 07-10-2010 at 02:15.
    ----------- -----------

92 games registered

Blog Entries
    reserved =)
    Last edited by Alexspeed; 16-09-2010 at 11:37.
    ----------- -----------

Field Marshal
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultHearts of Iron IIIVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Victoria 2Mount & Blade: WarbandEU3 Collectors Edition500k club

Excellent. I can't wait until 1.2 to try this out. Congrats on figuring out how to make what is obviously a very complex alteration

I've got a very limited understanding of how these files work, is there any way of juggling the opacity of the map? So for example, what values would I change to make the political map 85% transparent?
    Freedom in capitalist society always remains about the same as it was in the ancient Greek republics: freedom for the slave-owners
    VI Lenin

92 games registered

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ComradeOm View Post
    Excellent. I can't wait until 1.2 to try this out. Congrats on figuring out how to make what is obviously a very complex alteration

I've got a very limited understanding of how these files work, is there any way of juggling the opacity of the map? So for example, what values would I change to make the political map 85% transparent?
    Thank you

I am pretty sure it is possible to alter the map to a lesser opacity, but it would involve changing the most
    of the green marked lines in the code again (and maybe then some to adjust it right).

When i have time for it i might play around with it and if i find a good way to do it,
    i will post it in the thread Map modding - Discussion, Questions & Updates
    ----------- -----------

92 games registered

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PlayerHOI View Post
    Nice, love it!
    Thank you, glad you do
    ----------- -----------

F-CEO of EUIV:MEIOU and Taxes gigau's Avatar
    95 games registered

200k clubHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings II
    Deus VultDiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Hearts of Iron: The Card GameCK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The Republic
    Crusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: CharlemagneEUIV: Art of War

Roaming zombishly... looking for icooooonsssss !
    Blog Entries
    Hmmm... i really love it. And already drooling when thinking about this with MEIOU for Divine Wind
    Europa Universalis III : MEIOU --- MEIOU Subforum in english | MEIOU on Twitter | MEIOU on Facebook | MEIOU Online Manual
    If you have zero infamy, then you're wasting everybody's forgiveness. - Zzzzz...

Europa Universalis IV
    MEIOU and Taxes - It falls on to me to rule the entire world,... and don't forget to bring me my taxes ! - Download >>> HERE <<<

M&T Subforum | M&T en Français | M&T on Facebook | M&T Wiki | M&T Report Tickets
    Yes, I should have realised by now that when asking EOOQE, you don't ask if something is possible. You have to ask how - jrgen3
    Ainsi Je Frappe - the level 1 unit sprite revamp.
    Discussion thread | Vanilla version on Workshop | DLC version on Workshop | M&T version on Workshop | M&T and DLC version on Workshop
    Awarded the SAS Award for Forum Dedication
    Vice-Zombiemaster of the Icon Zombie Club !

92 games registered

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gigau View Post
    Hmmm... i really love it. And already drooling when thinking about this with MEIOU for Divine Wind
    I am glad you do, but there is still a lot that could be improved, like the blurry state borders (not sure if i can fix that) and eventually a new ocean texture that fits with this (but thats maybe better for a seperate mod i guess).

I am sure there are a dozen other ways how to make this better that i havent even realized jet

And its not that i dont like the transparent Map, i quite like it, but i guess this will have pepole liking it too, and more choices is most times a good thing

Well see what i can come up with next, lots of time till the Divine Wind starts to blow, lots of time to make things perfect
    ----------- -----------

92 games registered

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Halk View Post
    Thats very nice of you, thank you for providing it!
    I linked it in my first posting
    ----------- -----------

The Guardian of Divergences Athalcor's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDungeonlandEU3 Complete
    Divine WindHeir to the ThroneLeviathan: WarshipsMarch of the EaglesSengoku
    Sword of the StarsThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the RosesCK2: Holy Knight500k clubTeleglitch: Die More Edition
    Europa Universalis IVCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The Republic

It is... beautiful...
    All Hail Britannia - a V2 AAR - Weekly AAR Showcase on 6/15/14, 2nd in the 2014 Q2 ACAs, 3rd in the 2014 Q3 ACAs.

My two other shamefully abandoned AARs...(there is also a third one hiding in the corners of the V2 AARland, not even worth linking)

I love this mod. Best map so far IMO.
    "It is only for the sake of those without hope that hope is given to us."
    Walter Benjamin

92 games registered

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Athalcor View Post
    It is... beautiful...
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdlife View Post
    I love this mod. Best map so far IMO.
    Thank you both, glad you like it
    ----------- -----------

92 games registered

Blog Entries

I am working at the moment on my map mods to make sure everything is compatible,
    till i am done, please dont use my map mods on Victoria 2 - Version 1.2!

UPDATE: New Version released!
    Last edited by Alexspeed; 06-10-2010 at 21:19.
    ----------- -----------

92 games registered

Blog Entries
    Untransparent Map Mod 1.1 has been released:

Version 1.0 should only be used with Victoria 2 - Version 1.1.
    therefore i updated the mod to:

Version 1.1 which is intended to be used with Victoria 2 - Version 1.2.

There have been no changes in the code, there is no visual difference to version 1.0.
    I only took the new "terrain_2_0.fx" file from the V2 version 1.2 and implemented the changes into it again,
    to make sure that eventual changes in the file dont get overwritten by my file from the older version.

changes in 1.1:

1.1: adapted the changes in the file to the new game version.

The Download:

click here: Untransparent Map Mod 1.1
    Last edited by Alexspeed; 06-10-2010 at 23:50.
    ----------- -----------

You are quick - thanks.

92 games registered

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sentinal 6 View Post
    You are quick - thanks.
    I do what i can, thank you
    ----------- -----------

Started using this mod yesterday, haven't looked back once. it's absolutely wonderful.

One thing that bothers me are the borders between provinces and ocean in the political map. Is there a way to create black borders between land and sea like in EU3? It's not as apparent in the vanilla map but it's pretty jarring in this one, especially compared with the ocean map with depth.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast