• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
From your icons, I see you own HoI3. I assume the new EU3 map will be similar. There will be a high-zoom-out level where provinces are still discernible. Then, if you zoom out some more, the map-style kicks in, and individual province boundaries disappear. It's actually very usable, I think.

If you need individual provinces, you zoom to the middle-high level, and if you want the "big picture" you zoom fully out.

I wish the max zoom level for EU3:DW will be increased, that is fairly low right now.

The map looks alright, but the graphic overlay needs to go. Sure, folded graph paper fits the style of HoI3, partially Victoria 2, but certainly not EU3. Maybe you should consider canvas, clearly showing equator and the latitudes?

The map looks alright, but the graphic overlay needs to go. Sure, folded graph paper fits the style of HoI3, partially Victoria 2, but certainly not EU3. Maybe you should consider canvas, clearly showing equator and the latitudes?

Along with a 'Ere Be Dragons in the middle of the African Wasteland! :D

Ditto this, a more appropriate texture for the timeline would do loads.

A look more like this:

http://www.andreas.blicher.info/images/reikland_paper.jpg

Would suit what I had in mind, personally.

From your icons, I see you own HoI3. I assume the new EU3 map will be similar.

Yes, I do, but I haven't played any Paradox game other than EU3, so I am not familiar with the maps from any other games.

I purchased (and registered) several other games when they went on sale, but I haven't gotten around to playing them yet. I am... pleasantly stuck on EU3 :)

I guess I'll have to try it, but after seeing that political mode screenshot, my thoughts about this have changed from "I don't care about the map at all, and I don't understand why so many people seem to think the way the map looks is important in the grand scheme of things" to "My god, that totally sucks, what the hell are they thinking".

My default usage of the game is in political map mode, fully zoomed out. So now I don't get to see provinces anymore? Significant and fundamentally important functionality is lost just so things can look pretty if I want to consider it to be a picture?

Again, I'll have to try it, and maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but that seems like an astoundingly awful design choice. Please consider making it an option. Thank you.

Zoom in. :rolleyes:

Have to agree with Metz. I spend time fully zoomed out, only if i got nothing to do and pass time, normally I'm much closer studying the map, looking for ways to expand my own influence, and this i can hardly do if I'm fully zoomed out...

EDIT: oh post number 3000 :D

Yes, thank you, I understand that I can see the provinces if I zoom in.

My point is that I can now see less of the map in a usable way at any given time. The functionality of the game has decreased, and why? Just because people want to look at a picture instead of an actual interface to a game?

Just make a function key that outputs a PNG of the prettiest map ever so that you can stare at it in awe all day or whatever it is that suits your fancy. Don't actually remove functionality.

Yes, thank you, I understand that I can see the provinces if I zoom in.

My point is that I can now see less of the map in a usable way at any given time. The functionality of the game has decreased, and why? Just because people want to look at a picture instead of an actual interface to a game?

Just make a function key that outputs a PNG of the prettiest map ever so that you can stare at it in awe all day or whatever it is that suits your fancy. Don't actually remove functionality.

It's not like you can see a hell alot usefull information, if you're fully zoomed out...

Have to agree with Metz. I spend time fully zoomed out, only if i got nothing to do and pass time, normally I'm much closer studying the map, looking for ways to expand my own influence, and this i can hardly do if I'm fully zoomed out...

EDIT: oh post number 3000 :D

Well, again, I play the game fully zoomed out as a matter of course, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. And I'm not really sure what sorts of ways to expand your own influence that you need to zoom in to figure out, could you please give some examples?

I want to see as large an area as I can, in a usable way, and that means seeing provinces.

Pretty much the only two things I ever zoom in for are (1) finding a province name that I don't recognize, and (2) clicking on a unit that the interface makes it difficult to click on while zoomed out. Both of these things are rare, and when they happen, I immediately go back to fully zoomed out.

But now, I'll be able to see less of the map in a usable manner than I currently can, apparently because people want something they can hang on their walls instead of an interface to a game.

So the new provinces as far as we know...

In Europe (7 so far):
1. Turin, in northern Piedmont
2. Charolais, in southern Burgundy
3. Cremona, in eastern Lombardia
4. Freiburg, split from Bern
5. Wallis, split from Bern (Valais)
6. St. Gallen, split from Schwyz
7. Chur, split from Schwyz

In Japan (29 so far):
8. Higo, from Satsuma
9. Hyuga, from Satsuma
10. Ozumi, from Satsuma
11. Chikuzen, from Hizen
12. Iwami, from Nagato
13. Suo, from Nagato
14. Aki, from Nagato
15. Tosa, from Shikoku
16. Sanuki, from Shikoku
17. Bingo, from Harima
18. Bitchu, from Harima
19. Hoki, from Izumo
20. Mimasaka, from Izumo
21. Tajima, from Yamashiro
22. Tanba, from Yamashiro (often spelled as Tamba, could also be Tango)
23. Awaji, added island.
24. Yamato, split from Kii
25. Ise, from Kii
26. Omi, from Echizen
27. Etchu, from Echizen
28. Hida, from Echizen
29. Mino, from Echizen and Shinano
30. Kozuke, from Echigo
31. Shimotsuke, from Hitachi
32. Kazusa, from Hitachi
33. Izu, from Musashi
34. Kai, from Musashi
35. Totomi, from Owari
36. Mikawa, from Owari

Again, what is this useful information that you can only determine while zoomed in?

But regardless, even if there is some such information (and I've apparently been playing the game for years without having had need of it), that totally misses the point:

You can still play zoomed in. Nothing in this map makes it more difficult for you to play zoomed in. Nothing that I am suggesting instead of this map makes it more difficult for you to play zoomed in.

You can make out the enemy's movement much easier, individual army sizes and so on. You can easier determine where you're building/converting stuff, and where you might need to place soldiers.

Besides getting a better overview of the the current borders, i see no advantages whatsoever, to being fully zoomed out. Please name one thing?

It's not like it's vital to know where every province starts and stops, every second of the game.

But regardless, even if there is some such information (and I've apparently been playing the game for years without having had need of it), that totally misses the point:

You can still play zoomed in. Nothing in this map makes it more difficult for you to play zoomed in. Nothing that I am suggesting instead of this map makes it more difficult for you to play zoomed in.

I understand you might want to play fully zoomed out, but you make it sound like it's an absolute vital part of the game, which just isn't the case.

This is gonna be great, like a new game!

You can make out the enemy's movement much easier

I find the direction that the flags are facing to be virtually as easy as the direction that the men icons are facing. In the rare case that they are not, I zoom in. And then immediately back out.

individual army sizes and so on.

You can? How do you tell the army size without hovering over or clicking on it? Both of which you can do no matter whether you're zoomed in or out.

You can easier determine where you're building/converting stuff, and where you might need to place soldiers.
In my experience I find it exceedingly rare that I need to know, for example, where my missionaries are, or where I'm building a workshop. I find it rarer that I need to know that and simultaneously do not know it. And the panel on the top right of the screen makes these sorts of things far easier to know in any case, no matter whether you're zoomed in or out.

But again, in those rare situations, I just zoom in. And then immediately back out.

Besides getting a better overview of the the current borders, i see no advantages whatsoever, to being fully zoomed out. Please name one thing?

Besides that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?

I find it much more important to be able to see at a glance where the world's armies are, and what they are doing, than to see a little icon of a missionary doing his thing.

But again, regardless of all of this:

You like to play zoomed in. I get it. I believe you. I'm not saying you shouldn't.

But nothing about what I'm suggesting would make it more difficult for you to play zoomed in.

This map will make it more difficult for me to play zoomed out. For the sake of eye candy.

Status
Not open for further replies.