• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Boris ze Spider

The Smiling Knight
58 Badges
Oct 10, 2009
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Rome Gold
  • Divine Wind
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Semper Fi
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Achtung Panzer
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
Boris ze Spider's Alternative History I: Granada

Today I am starting a series of AARs in which i choose an event in history that could have gone the other way. When I say this I mean prominent events in history, not like the annexation of Ahnalt. This series will mainly be in EU3, but I may change to other games for other scenarios. This time i will attempt to reverse the fortunes of Granada, a Muslim country that was conquered by Spain in 1492. For this game I will be using the 4.1 April 29th Beta. However in my next games, i may play on Rising Nations. expect the first update to be this week, but the next update probably won't be until next week.

Settings:

Colonist Size- Normal

Lucky Nations- Random (With my Luck it will most likely be Castille and Portugal)

Difficulty- Very Hard (I don't play SP on anything else.

Granada! Excellent! Restore the fortunes of Al-Andalus and reverse the reconquista all the way to the Pyrenees!

Hey, how do you guys like the idea, that its from the view of a spider?

That's definitely different. Kind of reminds me of Charlotte's Web, loved that book when I was young. :D It's an interesting and unique idea. I think it can play out well.

I like it. You know I love AARs with voyuers. :p

Great idea!

Chapter 1: A Journey through the Inkwell

Boris, a teenager aged 17 steps out of his house in the suburbs of Baltimore, Maryland to greet his friend, Steven.

“Hey dude, I want you come check out this cool well I found out in the woods behind my house.”

He had been telling me about this since first bell, originally, I had been reluctant to go, because last time I almost got attacked by a badger, but his nagging was getting annoying and I was partly intrigued by the well.

“Let me just put on my shoes and I’ll be ready to go.”

The ride to his house was relatively short on our bikes (neither of us had enough money to afford a car). After we arrived we headed out into the woods, we approached the well. The well itself looked like what you think or know well looks like. It’s base was round and made out of bricks and it had a strong wood arch to lift and lower the water. As I was scouting out the area out of curiosity I stumble upon a stone tablet the size of a gravestone. After pulling the branches away from the tablet, I took a close look. Originally, the language on the tablet seemed to be of some foreign language, but as I study it further, it appeared to be be Arabic. From my experience in Arabic, due to three years of taking classes and then subsequently summer school, I was able to translate most of it. It read as follows:

“Travel deep into the inkwell to watch the unfolding of an alternative history. As you travel through time, you will watch events occur that people could not have imagined.”

“Hey, could you lower me down into this well?” I asked Steven who was growing impatient.

“Why?” he replied.

“Just wanna see what’s down there” I replied.

As I got onto the platform that would take me into the unknown I thought about what might be in store for me, or if I would ever get out.

At first, the well was pretty well lit; however, the further I got, the darker it became. At one point, almost all of my senses were numb, and the only thing I could feel was a tingling in my fingers. As it got even lower, I began to see a light, and I began to regain my senses. The first thing I smelled was a strong stench, was it horse poo. Than, I started to hear noises, mainly an incomprehensible chatter, that if I studied carefully enough, I could make out a few Arabic words. As I was finally pulled out from the well, I noticed something; the world had grown considerably bigger.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Awesome start! I love it! :D

Maroqw- Thank you, I don't think he'll follwo me this time around.

dsb3232- Yes he does, i dont know if i'll be able to bite them at first.

Ashantai- Thank you.

Thank you to all those that commented, comments are highly aprreciated, good or bad, i love to hear your guys opinion.

Chapter 2: Look, I'm a Spider

As I walk off what is now a bucket, the horse gets spooked and rears up and kicks over the bucket, forcing me to dive (it felt more like a jump) to get out of the way. As the man (presumably the horse’s owner) takes the time to yell at his horse, I decide to go take a look at myself, to try and figure out why I am so darn tiny. As I approach the puddle, thoughts ran through my head inquiring about why I was so small. When I see my reflection in the puddle, I get my answer. I had been turned into a spider! That’s right, you heard me, a spider. And the worst part of it was that I wasn’t even a cool spider. I was about the size of a quarter at best with a sand-yellow abdomen, head and legs. To top it all off , I wasn’t even furry. I sighed to myself and decided my best option was to hop onto the man’s cart and to see where he was going.

Fortunately for myself, the man did not see me as I got right under his seat. As the journey to Granada wore on, the man and what I presumably thought was his young son started a conversation about the country of Granada.

“Dad, how powerful, was Granada before the fake Spaniards started conquering our land” His son asked.

“Well son, his majesty’s kingdom used to stretch from the rock of Gibraltar all the way up to the city of Madrid. But now, Iberia is divided by three powerful Christian Kingdoms.”

“What are they daddy?” His son asked into response to his father.

“To the immediate North, we have the most powerful and largest of the kingdoms, Castille, who can field a large and powerful army. To the west is Portugal, a sea-faring nation that has a tendency to aid Castille in its so called “Reconquista.” And finally, to the east, we have Aragon, who’s king is a bitter rival of the King of Castille, who often opposes every single expansion that Castille makes.”

“Daddy, will Granada ever become powerful again.”

“I hope so son, I hope so son.”

Uploaded with ImageShack.us