• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This little fellow was robbing banks?
I thought that that would be what the government does. :p
Oops, I forgot, your people do not need banks since everything belongs to the King.

Oops, I forgot, your people do not need banks since everything belongs to the King.

He's an African Minor martyr, so he was probably upset he can't buy booze and go to that drumming concert on Friday. "Fellow citizens, I stand before you and proudly say: Eff you, Dad! You never let me do anything! :mad:" Probably thought starting a revolution would, like, totally get him laid, too. Kids these days... :rolleyes:

I must say that the King's language seems to veer away from the Queen's Own English when he is particularly stressed. The level of obscenity is, shall we say, not cricket.

It is funny, though. And this:
Oh we’ll reform him: into a toothless, bent-backed corpse. Now that’s REAL reform.
:D I don't know that it's good reform, but it certainly is lasting change.

Really? You guys get the vote and immediately put the Tea Party in charge? Maybe I should be funding education a bit more.
That line made my day.

Just one question though, Ive seen "wind of westernisation" before, but are all those other RP-boosting events normal for an Uncivilised nation so early in the game? or are you just lucky?

Don't bother your mind with those starving aritisans. They really aren't very important and are really very difficult to please. If you do care then you'll probably need to reduce your tariffs - you see they are importing goods at too high a price and are thus unable to make much profit, meaning that they can't afford to buy important things like food and fancy clothes.

I won't worry anymore...reducing the tariffs reduces my profits, which is of course, much more impportant than them eating.

Not very British? Nonsense.

guy-fawkes-mask.jpg

:D

Excellent update. King Radama's strategy of "progressively kill off all the unruly natives until only the Westerners remain" is a particularly innovative method of Westernization. And good work on ditching the debts. Now that the Nationalists are in power, it's time to avenge the historical defeat by the Zulus and incorporate them into Greater Madagascar!

That is the plan (you just don't see the fruits of it in this next update :)

What? No crushing debt? How unseemingly confusing! :mad:

That's okay...just more money for grandeose and ill-considered schemes!

40% of your aristocrats voted Liberal? I suspect they spend their evenings chatting to Westerners and drinking Tananarivo slings :rolleyes:

:D You're probably right

The benevolent king is protecting them from the vicious cancer-causing nickel in the coins by keeping them in his own pockets. He is the model of self-sacrifice

He's an African Minor martyr, so he was probably upset he can't buy booze and go to that drumming concert on Friday. "Fellow citizens, I stand before you and proudly say: Eff you, Dad! You never let me do anything! :mad:" Probably thought starting a revolution would, like, totally get him laid, too. Kids these days... :rolleyes:

Ah! I wish I'd thought of that...that's hilarious

I must say that the King's language seems to veer away from the Queen's Own English when he is particularly stressed. The level of obscenity is, shall we say, not cricket.

It is funny, though. And this::D I don't know that it's good reform, but it certainly is lasting change.

Sometimes the stresses cause him to revert...he is still his mother's son.

That line made my day.

Just one question though, Ive seen "wind of westernisation" before, but are all those other RP-boosting events normal for an Uncivilised nation so early in the game? or are you just lucky?

Honestly, I don't know. This is my first game of Vicky2. THere are actually more RP boosting events (and angry pop-killing ones) but I quickly got board/ran out of jokes for them, so I've left a good number out. The Harassing of Westerners one pops up at least once a year and there are probably more Western enclaves than I can count.

1849 - 1853

1849-02-10forsomereason-doingsomethingaboutitpissedpeopleoff-1.jpg

So there was a big...I forget what it was called...some poor people disease outbreak, which of course, meant that 100% of the population was at risk. I rose to the occasion with British Pluck.

We organized quarrantines of infected towns, burned the belongings of everyone who came into contact with an infected person (a move, incidentily, that annoyed the Doctor's Guild), imposed a Public Menace tax on anyone who caught the disease, in order to warn off shirkers who might get sick just to have a few days off.

Finally, all the sick people were loaded into canoes and sent off to sea. Then those who loaded them into canoes were themselves loaded into canoes and sent off to sea.

Just to be safe, those who loaded those people into canoes were summarily shot, from a great distance. The port was then sealed off. I think the Lemurs ate the bodies.

This energetic action meant that a mere 5% of the population died in the outbreak. We had expected some 7 or 8% to die.

For some reason, this has made the people angry at me.

1850-01-09howdidthathappenOhyeah-Iletthestatesappointthem.jpg

Liberals and Tea Partiers continue to infect the Upper House. Apparantly, I'm not good at picking Loyalists, so I've decided to let the states appoint Nobles to the Upper House going forward.

1852-09-07Ohpleasewhatcouldpossiblygowrong.jpg

I also issued new History textbooks which, in great detail, explain how I stopped the Poor People's Disease outbreak of 1849. Maybe their kids will respect my vigor. Also, I'm going to let the African Minor kids go to school. Since they can't read about their heroic King without being able to read.

Sorry for the short update...apparantly I need to play farther ahead!

Don't worry about the length, I'm just happy to see an update!

It seems that the little folk (as is their wont) lack the vision that true great men possess, such as King Radama. I mean, who else would complain about the minuscule and entirely justifiable compulsion in those quarantine measures? Think of all the lives that were saved through King Radama's decisive actions! And the only drawback was that some of the sick and medical responders were separated from their loved ones for a while (well, until the loved ones died as well. Assuming there's such a thing as the afterlife for Madagascarian typhoid sufferers - which, given the cruel joke that existence on that blighted island is, would be rather poor form of the Creator if it didn't).

By the way, it's not often that you are outclassed by the event text from the game itself, but the text for choice 'A' in that typhoid event is classy. Certainly something the Crovans could have uttered. :)

Next time one could use those ill & poor people as pre-invasion force for the Conquest of Zulu-Land... :nods:

We organized quarrantines of infected towns, burned the belongings of everyone who came into contact with an infected person (a move, incidentily, that annoyed the Doctor's Guild), imposed a Public Menace tax on anyone who caught the disease, in order to warn off shirkers who might get sick just to have a few days off.

Finally, all the sick people were loaded into canoes and sent off to sea. Then those who loaded them into canoes were themselves loaded into canoes and sent off to sea.

Just to be safe, those who loaded those people into canoes were summarily shot, from a great distance. The port was then sealed off. I think the Lemurs ate the bodies.

King Radama is truly a visionary pioneer of modern, compassionate health care policies. Florence Nightingale, eat yer heart out. :)

Now that such a minor crisis has been resolved, surely it's time for greater things. Onward, Malagasy soldiers, 'gainst the Zulu fiend! You have nothing to lose but your lives and/or limbs!

The textbooks seem very useful, but should they really be purchased when the country still has a shortage of really huge statues of the King?

The huge statues are really useful for all of the pops who can't read (probably because noone bought them any textbooks).

Don't worry about the length, I'm just happy to see an update!

Thanks...here's a longer one though!

Poor people can die, other poor people will just replace them.
Meaning that you also decrease your poverty.

:eek: So Tyhus...its really just God's War on Poverty!

The idea of taxing the ill is awfully progressive, how could these ungrateful citizens complain? King Radama is clearly years ahead of his time... :rolleyes:

He is, indeed, a visionary.

It seems that the little folk (as is their wont) lack the vision that true great men possess, such as King Radama. I mean, who else would complain about the minuscule and entirely justifiable compulsion in those quarantine measures? Think of all the lives that were saved through King Radama's decisive actions! And the only drawback was that some of the sick and medical responders were separated from their loved ones for a while (well, until the loved ones died as well. Assuming there's such a thing as the afterlife for Madagascarian typhoid sufferers - which, given the cruel joke that existence on that blighted island is, would be rather poor form of the Creator if it didn't).

By the way, it's not often that you are outclassed by the event text from the game itself, but the text for choice 'A' in that typhoid event is classy. Certainly something the Crovans could have uttered. :)

Sometimes, to save the farm a few eggs must be sold. Do the chickens lament? Of course! But is the farmer to blame? If he did not, the horse would be sold to a glue factory.

And that event text was great. I almost chose it just for that reason! I hope it somehow appears again for my Crovan 3 game.

Next time one could use those ill & poor people as pre-invasion force for the Conquest of Zulu-Land... :nods:

That's right! We have a reckoning coming up!

King Radama is truly a visionary pioneer of modern, compassionate health care policies. Florence Nightingale, eat yer heart out. :)

Now that such a minor crisis has been resolved, surely it's time for greater things. Onward, Malagasy soldiers, 'gainst the Zulu fiend! You have nothing to lose but your lives and/or limbs!

It is about time Kind Radama turned his eye once more towards that most Western of hobbies: Acquiring colonies from natives.

The textbooks seem very useful, but should they really be purchased when the country still has a shortage of really huge statues of the King?

The huge statues are really useful for all of the pops who can't read (probably because noone bought them any textbooks).

The huge statues just need a war victory to justify their expense...

1853 - 1858: Lemurs of War

1853 - 1858

1855-01-01reallyprivilgednobles-isAnarchyreallyinyourbestinterests.jpg

So today, I presided over the seating of the new Upper House when I noticed the new Anarcho-Liberal bench. There were only three guys sitting there, but seriously? You, the privilaged scions of hereditary power and possessors of the only wealth this island has, have decided to be Anarchists?

Their parents must be so proud.

1855-03-09theRighttoVotedoesntmeanimmunityfromconsequences.jpg

Ugh. Speaking of politics. The election board of Lemurville had a real problem today with some yahoo farmer protesting about being forced to vote for the Royal Party candidate. They had to kill him eventually. It was all very messy and embarassing but the poor fellows didn't have a choice. I still feel guilty that the guy had to die though, except that...

1855-03-16Imean-itsaysrightherewewillharassyou-itsnotlikethisisasurprisepolicy.jpg

I mean, it says right here in the Constitution of Madagascar that the ruling party has the right to bully and harass the electorate into voting how they want them to vote. Its not like this should have been a surprise or something!

Of course...since poor farmers aren't allowed to vote anyway he probably hadn't encountered this situation before...Oh! Voter Fraud! He was a Felon! Okay. Conscience clear!

1856-11-17theNewRoyalNavy.jpg

The New Royal Navy has started to roll out off the shipyards. The shipwrights, a bunch of emigrant dockworkers are building the new Royal Navy with glass bottomed hulls. I don't know why.

They seem to think its very funny though.

1857-01-08canthelpbutnoticethatRoyalistsupportisdownto25pct-Iknowhowtoraiseitby6pct.jpg

On the other hand, Royal Party support has been dwindling over the years and I just thought of a way to raise that support by 5.6%. Anyone have any idea how? Anyone? Anyone?

1857-07-19Ithoughtfreeingtheslaveswouldwork.jpg

That's right. I Freed the Slaves. Freed the Slaves. And then the Royal Party finally claimed control of the government. I should have done that years ago!

1858-01-10uhoh-whathavewehere.jpg

Speaking of years ago...the New Royal Navy assembled off the coast...

1858-01-10bandhere.jpg

Where they loaded up the 2nd Division...

1858-02-18wellshoot-nowwhat.jpg

And sailed for the coast of Zululand. Hey look, on a clear day you can see all the way to the bottom of the ocean. These glass hulls are cool. Wait? Is that the Old Royal Navy?

And worse. That is a British protectorate over the Zulus. Oh my idols and now Imperial Rivals have beat us here!

1858-04-14boyEthiopiaissuregoingtobesurprised.jpg

Still. We need some wartime successes and Ethiopia looks rather undefended. Boy will they be surprised!

Ethiopia, Zulu, nobody cares as long as they're conquered! Oh, and maybe glass hulls are demoralising, let's see after next update! ;)

Damn... I was hoping you'd get even with the Zulus.

Of course...since poor farmers aren't allowed to vote anyway he probably hadn't encountered this situation before...Oh! Voter Fraud! He was a Felon! Okay. Conscience clear!
I checked and saw that, indeed, the game refers to the poor soul as a farmer. Sometimes the game really does hand the gems over on a silver platter (if you are looking out for them). :)

Here's hoping that your adventures in Ethiopia go better than those in Zulu. Perhaps there are some Italians who can give you some advice...