• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
loving the AAR, thanks for posting!
If it helps, I just westernized in 1864 as Persia and wrote up a post with 'lessons learned' (towards the end) - might be helpful. For example, I also entered in a 'why not?' alliance, and got bit by it (because you might have to not honor the alliance, which will lose you prestige)

I wonder how you manage to stay under the BB limit?
I think you would have been over it easily with the conquests you did.

You are in a great position for when you do finally westernise. Perfectly positioned to colonise or gain land against smaller powers in Africa and Asia. I'm looking forward to seeing which option you choose.

A Coptic Empire, rivaling that of Prester John! Forward, ye mighty warriors of God!

Go smash those Egyptians! Their puny Artillery won't save them from the Knights of St. George (Ethiopia)!

Excellent! With more Egyptian land, factories churning out snazzy uniforms, and lots and lots of guns, modernization is but a few years away! Be careful playing between great powers, though... Ethiopia is strong now, but not strong enough to risk angering a sleeping giant.

Enewald - well, they get paid... the bureaucrats at least :rolleyes:

Tommy4ever - Publishing Industry was the last one actually required for westernisation.

badger_ken - Thanks! I saw your Persian alliance troubles, but don't worry, my alliance with Sokoto is relatively safe as no one can really reach them yet.

Sweboy - I'm not going to bother calling mighty Sokoto... in Victoria you have the option of calling your allies or not on each war.

Alexspeed - I've been under the infamy limit all along, 30 points accrued in nearly 30 years. I'm quite careful with that.

morningSIDEr - we'll see what options do I have left by the great powers...

Dewirix - Both count, I think. I'm pushing all the way to the Med :D

Nikolai - Onwards! :)

Tanzhang/譚張 - artillery won't save them this time.

Athalcor - Certainly not, Alexandria and Jerusalem must be ours!

ok2useLane - Thanks and welcome!

Boris ze Spider - Thank you, I was also looking forward to the great moment.

MannheimCouncil - Thanks! Welcome!

Communitarian! - I don't want to anger any of the great powers, that's for sure, but as you'll see in the next update, I've got an unlikely protector.

Strategic Fail - It'll be the last this time, hopefully.

And since the forum seems to be working again, I might be able to post the next update shortly... stay tuned, but for goodness' sake, don't overload the site! :rolleyes: :p

ETH.png

The Last Crusade

Before going for Egypt I was toying with the idea of attacking Oman to snatch Mogadishu (Portugal had already taken the Zanzibar area), but 10 infamy for a single province is just not worth it. Russia, on the other hand, thought it worthwhile and got it without much trouble... so there you have it, my second AAR in a row with Russians in Africa :rolleyes:

So back to Egypt... only this time, I want it all! The War of conquest CB costs 20 infamy points but the whole of Egypt is a prize well worth getting close to the infamy limit of 25. (As I write this the patch 1.2 is out and it seems you can no longer use the conquest CB with a nation of more than 5 states, a very reasonable restriction, to be fair.) The timing for Egypt couldn't be worse, sunk as it is in internal strife I face very little resistance - in fact I fight more rebels than Egyptian brigades. I reach the delta in less than a year; Cairo falls in November 1865.

eth1865a.jpg

In the meantime I keep the focus on military research (Command Principle in 1865, Bronze muzzle-loaded Artillery in 1867). By mid 1867 I've reached and taken most of Syria and only the area around Antioch is left to conquer for a total victory.

eth1867a.jpg

All along I fear the Ottomans or someone else might jump on Egypt to steal some easy gains, but luckily no-one does (although it is rather disappointing to see such a passive Ottoman AI).

Finally in January 1868 I get the jackpot - the whole of Egypt is annexed into Greater Ethiopia. I expect the extra cost I've paid in infamy for annexing before westernising will be offset by the fact that all the new land is acquired as full fledged states rather than colonies.

eth1868a.jpg

The victory also takes me to the level of prestige needed for westernisation (40), which leaves me with only the military score requirement to fulfill... Annoyingly another of my leaders dies (I think they give 4 military points each), and with hardly any battles fought in the war my leadership points are pitiful, so I have no option but to ramp up military budget and build more man-o-wars in order to increase my military potential in any significant way.

Annexing Egypt doubles my population to over 15 million people, which helps getting soldiers. However, the screenshot shows the reality of the new, mostly Sunni, Ethiopian citizens: poor and unhappy; the old Egyptian regime can't have been treating them very well... (it was my intention to take the screenshot of the entire population, but it seems I only took it of one of the new states, Giza; still, it's a pretty descriptive sample of the new population).

eth1868b.jpg

The new population is bound to take some time to settle. The new experimental railroad (discovered in 1869) should help a bit bringing people closer. My first line is Gonder-Aswa, followed by a link to the Red Sea.

eth1869a.jpg

And some precious metal and good cotton should help as well (I got the Diamond Fever in Massawa at the end of the war, the cotton event in 1871).

eth1871a.jpg

A few interesting developments I forgot to mention (or passed me by while I was conquering Egypt). Firstly, the USA defeated and annexed the CSA (the war had started much earlier than in history but it ended close to the historical date). Secondly, I find myself in the USA sphere of influence (I didn't get any notification or if I did I must have dismissed it without realising); I would have expected the UK or France to be more interested in this part of Africa, not the US... Finally the most shocking news was the fact that China managed to westernise in 1868, which will certainly change the geopolitics of Asia quite a lot :eek:

Never mind, even if it's a bit late and in someone else's sphere, in July 1872 I reach the required military score of 50 and finally westernise!! :)

eth1872a.jpg

As you can see, things have changed quite a bit at the top table since the 50s... The USA is solidly 3rd while China has taken her rightful place in the G8 (obviously they didn't have the same trouble as me with the military score). Russia, Spain, Austria and Prussia are lagging behind.

eth1872b.jpg

Westernising takes Ethiopia to a very respectable 20th position in the world ranking, tied with Sweden. Getting to secondary power shouldn't be too difficult from here.

eth1872c.jpg

With two newly westernised powers the scramble for Africa and Asia ought to be a bit more difficult for European colonisers, although to be honest there has hardly been any real scramble for Africa yet...

eth1872d.jpg

Nice to see the Egyptian menace is gone for good from Africa. Will you be planning on kick-starting the "scramble" any time soon?
As for SoI's, any influence by the US in Africa outside Liberia is ahistorical but common, especially in Sokoto which often ends up in their sphere.

Also, Go China! I've never seen the AI westernise China before Japan.

My goodness, a westernised China. You might want to watch out for them as they're only two countries away (well, three really as it's unlikely they'll come at you via Russia).
I for one want to see China vs Ethiopia in the struggle for Persia.

Good move crushing Egypt. Do you plan to go heavily into colonisation if you make secondary power. I think you'll need a few more techs before you can, but a pan-African state beckons.

Woah, China! That's so cool - joining the chorus here, but I've never seen that happen. And it's really kind of awesome. :) Speaking of awesome, congrats on rocket jumping to 20th place! If you can just keep pressing forward... No, no, replace that with *as* you keep pressing forward, success should multiply rapidly. The US is only a temporary concern, but a great one to take advantage of while you're at it. Here's to hoping you can help bridge the gap between Coptic, Sunni, and local faiths and give your citizens a continued and wonderous future.