• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Now you should take a state capi government and rapidly industrialise. :D

Don't be afraid to take on massive debts during this process, so long as you pick the right factories you'll soon be unable to spend your massive surpluses.

Some heavy colonizing now, and the Empire of Ethiopia will be the Empire of Africa. Either take that route, or reclaim the Middle East for Christianity.:p

It is just too bad to assyrians and lebanese are not really representated properly. I could imagine they would enjoy a new coptic overlord. From a game point-of-view though, you should release Syria, possibly with Aleppo if you can. Adding a buffer between you and the Ottomans is nice, and should help infamy

It wouldn't help infamy, as this is still 1.1.

Excellent stuff, now that you are westernised the world awaits you! Or, uhm...those parts of the world not already annexed/guaranteed by a larger power!

oh my, I'm defiitely much more shocked by your annexation of Egypt than by quick westernisation. I'd think not only such a large country would have put up more fight and there'd've been other powers averse to Ethiopian ambitions which would've intervened, but the game itself imo should allow such an exploit (or should mae it really hard to pull through).

Anyway congrats. 20th place! What are the goals fron now on?

awesome job! From annexing Egypt to westernizing in 1872 - both very impressive!

I've heard a Westernized China is a pretty awesome sight, maybe for once someone will take the UK down a peg, which should open more room for you in Africa.

good luck!

Aldriq, it is my duty to inform you that this AAR has been awarded The AAR Weekly Showcase Congratulations and keep up the good work!

Confederate States of America

I suppose infamy is a big barrier, but adding Hedjaz & Aden would make the Red Sea a nicely Eithiopan lake. It would also stop Europeans from appearing on your flank.

Woooo! Congratulations on the Showcase! Can't wait to read more about Ethiopia's excellent exploits! :D

Tanzhang/譚張 - I'll try to colonise as soon as technology allows me. China is unstoppable :eek: Thanks for the Showcase!

Dewirix - Luckily China is busy enough in the far east for now. They go for Panjab and Johor until they are ready to take on the UK...

Communitarian! - I feel sort of comfortable in the US sphere at the moment. It's definitely better than being on my own. Thanks!

Enewald - Ideally both, but only Arabia in the short term.

Tommy4ever - As you will see I wasn't fast enough building my own factories... lots of money wasted :rolleyes: I guess that's how it happened then in many nations...

Boris ze Spider - That was just railroad building expenditure... nothing compared to what you are gonna see now.

Nikolai - Definitely, as soon as I can.

Carewolf2 - I checked that but I can only release Egypt. Well, 1.2 has Babylon :rofl:

morningSIDEr - Rest assured that I'll continue going for easy targets until I'm confident enough - and that might not be until 1936 :D

gabor - I agree, Egypt was a cakewalk. But then again historically the sultanate also ended up in a mess and easily taken over by Britain.

badger_ken - Thanks! I'm sure China and the UK will fight some wars over Burma/Tibet/India.

Sweboy said:
We are still above you! :p

At first I thought you were having Victoria delusions... then I realised that Victoria would never stick her tongue out in public and that you meant 'We Swedes are still above you' :rofl: Not for long though...

Alfredian - Absolutely right on that. My top targets, next in the list.

Pajari - Welcome! I think I would have kept taking states from Egypt, maybe attacked Yemen too after westernising... it would have been slower but similar.

ETH.png

Greed is good... when someone else is paying

One good thing about the trusty old Royal Faction is that they stand for State Capitalism, which means I can start building factories directly without having to wait for capitalists' entrepreneurial whims. Following what seems the forum consensus I start with a cement factory in one of my heartland states, followed by a fabric factory and a liquor distillery.

eth1872e.jpg

Capitalists don't take long to show up, though, as early as just 6 months after westernising I get a few of them building liquor distilleries and railroads, we'll see how they fare in the long term. In 1873 I finish Clipper Design, get quite a few discovery events that allow new factory types and another Royal Faction victory in the lower house elections. The rest of the decade I research Post-Nelsonian Thought (last of level 1 naval techs, for naval bases) and then switch focus to some prestige-earning techs (Romanticism, Introspectionism).

eth1873a.jpg

In 1875, as my first factories start getting populated by eager workers and I join the Secondary Powers club, I notice that Spain is at war with Yemen. I wasn't in a rush to DoW Hedjaz but having a European power in my backyard changes things... at least now that I'm civilised I have access to the much cheaper CB 'Establish Protectorate' (8 infamy) to annex uncivs.

eth1875a.jpg

As expected Hedjaz doesn't present much resistance. In fact, a large-ish anarcho-liberal rebellion in 1876 is more demanding with my troops than the war....

eth1876a.jpg

The rebellion is put down and Hedjaz duly annexed in 1877. Surprisingly, Spain gives up on Yemen with a white peace, despite having landed a significant force in Arabia... :confused: I won't be so forgiving when I get the chance.

eth1877a.jpg

After the war I decide to have a closer look at my economy because I've been hemorrhaging money lately. At first I thought all stuff built by capitalists might be drawing upon the national stockpile somehow, but then I realise that State Capitalism by default subsidises every factory in the land. So I was subsidising my money-losing capitalists to the tune of £250 a day... :eek::mad: (You can see that little green button controls subsidies on each factory, and you can see that artillery factory losing £35 a day.)

eth1877b.jpg

Feeling a bit outraged and cheated by the system I remove all the subsidies immediately (maybe a bit of an overreaction) which of course closes half of my factories and takes the industrial score from 80 back to 40... Over the next 5 years a find a compromise balance where I carefully subsidise only those factories that are borderline between profit and loss, and build/expand cement factories to soak up the unemployed workforce left by bankrupt factories.

gekko.jpg

It's all about bucks, kid. The rest is conversation.

In 1879 I get a Border incident event giving me CB on Nejd if I want to take it. I decide that it's not worth it, the northern state of Nejd is very poor and only produces wool, I'd rather go for Yemen next to secure the strait of Aden before the Spaniards come back (and Yemen produces opium, far more useful than wool right now.) I also get a few rubber events and three very useful trade fairs over the course of the decade (£250 for 10 prestige, definitely worthwhile).

eth1879a.jpg

With the economy back on track and the railroad building program fairly advanced I set my eyes on colonisation. Unfortunately, all my neighbouring provinces have too low a liferating for me to colonise; I need Profilaxis against Malaria (one of the discoveries unlocked by Medicine), so I hope it triggers fairly soon before other powers start colonising.

In 1881 the USA offers alliance, which I'm happy to accept for now, it could be useful if I end up in a war with Spain or someone else...

eth1881a.jpg

A review of the industry in 1882 - back to where I was in 1877 but with low subsidies. Khartoum has become the great powerhouse of the empire. Cement is king.

eth1882a.jpg

The overall population is still struggling a bit. I've put taxes for the poor up to encourage migration to the middle... Then there is that £30K loan I got into in the 5 years of crazy subsidies, but given it's all owed to my own citizens there's no rush to pay it back :rolleyes:

eth1882b.jpg

I've overtaken most secondary powers in the world ranking, except Mexico and Venezuela, to become 11th. Those two shouldn't be too difficult to beat if things go smoothly, but the next level (dislodging Prussia to become a great power) will take a bit longer. China has passed France and the US to become 2nd power, and at that insane pace of industralisation it won't take long for them to push the UK down :eek:

eth1882c.jpg

Once again, Goooooo China!

For culture techs, I'd go along the national-focus, plurality building techs first: A. you get Nationalism & Imperialism, which lowers life rating and B. you'll activate the Egypt excavation event chain.

wow, a westernized and Industrialized China will be quite the beast!

Re factories - I found the 3 most profitable factories were cement, cement, and cement :).