+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: No Iron, One Lion, Maybe Zion

52 games registered

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Deus VultDungeonlandEast India Company CollectionEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneImpireEuropa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossLeviathan: Warships
    The Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty II CollectionMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    War of the RosesEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
    Crusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India

You accidentally London?

El Presidente of Tropico & etc Ivir Baggins's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteHeir to the ThroneMagicka
    Victoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k club
    Crusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old Gods
    Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham

Ethiopiaball can into Upper Sudan?
    "Moab is my washpot, and over Edom shall I cast out my shoe." - Psalm 108:9

I have a YouTube channel!

200k clubEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy4ever View Post
    Wash you mouth out with soap!
    Keyboard, you mean.

Also, I like how even though you've taken half of Sudan, you still look like Ethiopia, and not like so weird artificial state.
    Brittania: A Saga of Albion - Hiatus
    AwAARds
    WritAAR of the Week 11/23/09
    Character WritAAR of the Week 03/08/10
    Showcased 24/04/2010
    Favourite CK History Book AAR 07/06/2010 and 01/02/2011

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneMarch of the Eagles
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Ethiopia will can into space ?

Good going, hopefully you can put some real hurt on Egypt and take a much larger slice of their cake than what you have in the first to conflicts.

Hope Rhodes is nice!

The Guardian of Divergences Athalcor's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDungeonlandEU3 Complete
    Divine WindHeir to the ThroneLeviathan: WarshipsMarch of the EaglesSengoku
    Sword of the StarsThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the RosesCK2: Holy Knight500k clubTeleglitch: Die More Edition
    Europa Universalis IVCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The Republic

Bob Marley arrived?
    All Hail Britannia - a V2 AAR - awarded the Weekly AAR Showcase on 6/15/14, came 2nd in the 2014 Q2 ACAs.

I want you to vote in the Q3 2014 ACAs! Make your favourite AARers bathe in your votes!

My two other shamefully abandoned AARs...(there is also a third one hiding in the corners of the V2 AARland, not even worth linking)

Art - Games - History Alexspeed's Avatar
    83 games registered

200k clubAchtung PanzerHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: Armageddon
    Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    DiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossKing Arthur IIThe Kings Crusade
    MagickaMajesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionPenumbra - Black Plague
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesHearts of Iron: The Card GameCK2: Holy Knight
    EU3 Collectors EditionKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Blog Entries
    I foresee more sand colored in Ethiopian blue soon
    Platypus rutilus, in hoc signo vinces - In honorem Paradox!
    Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign for a diseased mind! – Terry Pratchett
    ----------- -----------
    Alexspeed´s MIP - Map Improvment Package and Untransparent Map Mod for Victoria 2.
    Alexspeed´s Canvas Worldmap, SexiiColours Intense and Clear Map Overlay for Victoria 2.

Mount & Blade Custom Flag Tutorial - Alexspeed´s Victoria 2 Wallpapers and Loadscreens & Wallpapers for EU3

Member of The Iconians Club 50 and the 200k Club - - Proud Owner of the SAS Award for Forum Dedication.
    My finished Victoria 2 AAR Contest - My AwAARds: Fan of the Week: 7-Nov-2010

Quote Originally Posted by Alexspeed View Post
    I foresee more sand
    mmmmm sand, wasnt it like one of the largest traded commodities of the 19th century?

haha in your face Eqypt, we shall be rulers of all your vast wealth of sand!

First Lieutenant Communitarian!'s Avatar
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2

Hey, sand is valuable in the glass-making business. Let's build huge glass factories all over Ethiopia!

Also, my guess is that you cross the Aden strait and establish a protectorate over Yemen. Ya know, just to spice things up.
    Chatting with the friendly ghosts of Voltairine, Haywood, Goldman, Makhno, and Berkman.

Nationality: Cajun
    Religion: Erisian
    Ideology: Syndicalist
    Issues: Community Ownership/Full-Citizenship
    Current Work: Researching: Full-Time Employment
    Cash Reserves: £5
    Revolt Risk: i = 1
    Militancy: 8.15
    Consciousness: 9.68 (+0.50 daily)

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Mount & Blade: WarbandPride of Nations500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by aldriq View Post
    No prices to those who guess what comes next...
    You have an unprecedent wave of industrialisation and all your soldiers leave the army to become craftsmen?

I don't think I've seen such a happy middle class. You're obviously paying your clergy and teachers too much!
    AAR in progress
    Yet this will go onward the same: the Yamato Destiny - Continuation of the last AAR in Victoria 2. Last updated 17th October 2012

Completed AAR
    The Yamato Destiny: A Japan HTTT AAR

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Rome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

Blog Entries
    I'm sure its another clash with Egypt, but I want it to be the invasion of Yemen or Zanzibar.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition

I'd've expected Egipt to be a harder nut to crack. (The Mameluks in EU definitely are. )
    Hasn't the rebel problem been righted in a patch?

The Guardian of Divergences Athalcor's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDungeonlandEU3 Complete
    Divine WindHeir to the ThroneLeviathan: WarshipsMarch of the EaglesSengoku
    Sword of the StarsThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the RosesCK2: Holy Knight500k clubTeleglitch: Die More Edition
    Europa Universalis IVCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The Republic

Quote Originally Posted by gabor View Post
    I'd've expected Egipt to be a harder nut to crack. (The Mameluks in EU definitely are. )
    Hasn't the rebel problem been righted in a patch?
    The patch is not out yet. Soon it will. but it is not savegame compatible...
    All Hail Britannia - a V2 AAR - awarded the Weekly AAR Showcase on 6/15/14, came 2nd in the 2014 Q2 ACAs.

I want you to vote in the Q3 2014 ACAs! Make your favourite AARers bathe in your votes!

My two other shamefully abandoned AARs...(there is also a third one hiding in the corners of the V2 AARland, not even worth linking)

Argentina Delenda Est Tanzhang (譚張)'s Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEast India CompanyEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneIron CrossMarch of the EaglesVictoria: Revolutions
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica
    Crusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old Gods
    Crusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India

Refusing to Play Between Dream and Reality...
    Great work so far! The snappy title intrigued me, but I hope you don't take the "No Iron" part as seriously as the "Maybe Zion" part...
    Loyal we Began, Loyal we Remain: A History of the British Empire After the Great War
    A New Canadian Kaiserreich AAR for Darkest Hour [KR 1.5]
    Winner of: AARland Choice Awards Q1 2014

From Eagle to Phoenix: The Rebirth of the Roman Republic
    A New Roman Republic AAR for Europa Universalis IV
    Winner of: WritAAR of the Week: 08/09/2013, Weekly AAR Showcase: 13/10/2013, Best Character Writer of the Week 01/12/2013, AARland Choice Awards: Q3/4 2013

- I was Fan of the Week: 01/01/2012 and 26/05/2013 and WritAAR of the Year: 2013 ~ Proud recipient of two Kenshin Cookies ~
    - ~ More AARs avaliable at my Inkwell! (硯臺) ~ -

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: Chronicles
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House Divided500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Tommy4ever - No Polish space invaders yet, but who knows, later in the game...

Enewald - No way, London is my friend (or at least I want it to be).

Ivir Baggins, garudamon11 -

can and will into space! And maybe lionz

Vesimir - That is about to change...

Strategic Fail - Thanks! Rhodes is great... amazing people, beaches and history. And wine!

Athalcor - This AAR is strictly no time-traveling

Boris ze Spider - Of course!

Communitarian! - Yemen is on the agenda, for later.

Dewirix - If they are happy simply with money, I'm happy to oblige.

Alfredian - Zanzibar was quickly snatched by the Portuguese I'm afraid...

gabor - I know, I'm starting to see 1.1 as a V2 vaccine, a weaker version of the real, mean thing that will come eventually in 1.2 or 1.3

Tanzhang (譚張) - Thanks and welcome! I don't have any iron province yet, but I'm sure that'll change.
    On-hold: Mamma Mia! The AAR
    Completed: Europe is our dancefloor | The Shortest Road to Damascus | No Iron, One Lion, Maybe Zion
    Tintero

The July AARlander is out now, no excuse not to read it: Thread | PDF | iBooks

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: Chronicles
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House Divided500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Any colour as long as it's blue

What comes next is of course war with Egypt. With the Ottoman sphere of influence gone I can DoW safely. My goal is the state of Halaib, the land next to my northern border and the Red Sea, again at the cost of 10 infamy points (sadly I've lost the temporary CB I got earlier in a border dispute).

This time you can see I was a bit overconfident - I only left 18,000 men to defend Massawa against the main Egyptian army, sending the rest of my brigades to start sieges in Sudanese provinces. The error could have been costly, as you can see I won narrowly and with more casualties. I imagine that any defensive bonus gained by tech and the help of the fort was pretty much neutralised by the Egyptians bringing some artillery...

But the important thing is that I won, those 17,000 men was the only resistance Egypt showed. By mid 1855 I've taken all of Sudan from Egyptian hands. If you notice Egypt has a new flag, I presume they must have changed government type (forced by rebels?) Not that the new government is much more effective than the previous one… well, apart from building artillery…

In August Egypt gives up and hands me another nice set of provinces. Some of them produce cotton, which makes a change from the sandalwood and cattle.

In 1857 research of Private Banks is completed. A little boost to tax efficiency but nothing else since I can't build factories until I westernise. Next tech in line (and last one required for westernisation) is Publishing Industry. Also in the picture a quick look to the 8 great powers in 1857… this will change quite a bit in the next decade.

In January 1858 the upper house finally reaches a liberal majority, which gives me the first opportunity to enact reforms. I go for Outlaw Slavery, given that I have some scope for unhappy pops, and it fits with the mood of modernisation of the country. I'd like think of this emperor as someone who fashions himself as an enlightened despot. Although the proportion of people in favour of slavery is initially higher than that of those against, it drops steadily in the coming years. More people free to become soldiers...

The following year I get another liberal majority and I decide to give the vote to land owners. In a different game I might have tried to keep the absolute monarchy for longer, but since I'm learning I guess I'll get more stuff going on with elections. And again, this emperor is so self-confident that probably he thinks no-one would ever vote for any party other than the royal faction…

And for now he is right, the royal faction wins comfortably the first Ethiopian elections in August 1859. In all the pre-election debate events I went with the cautious option of 5% for the time being, to minimise any radical population swing without fully knowing the consequences. I don't enact any further reforms in the following years either.

In 1860 the last tech needed for westernisation is completed (Publishing Industry), so I switch to a military technology: Military Staff System, which allows to form cavalry units. Any self-respecting emperor of this age needs a cavalry, even if it's to keep artisans busy crafting luxury regalia uniforms and saddles… This one is ready in 1863, the following research goes to The Command Principle.

And as a sign of my fledgeling power, in 1862 I receive my first alliance offer, from Sokoto… yes, our mighty, landlocked African brothers… Oh well, why not? I keep improving relations with the Ottomans and the UK, and they keep pretty much ignoring me as usual.

With all the techs required for westernisation accomplished, I only need two more things to take the big step: prestige and military power. The way to acquire them: war! Prestige is easy enough to get in small wars, but my military score is low and I've had a bad series of quick leader deaths, so I'm going to need a lot of soldier population and man-o-wars to reach 50 points; I need a much bigger piece of Egypt this time. With the election of 1864 out of the way…

On-hold: Mamma Mia! The AAR
    Completed: Europe is our dancefloor | The Shortest Road to Damascus | No Iron, One Lion, Maybe Zion
    Tintero

The July AARlander is out now, no excuse not to read it: Thread | PDF | iBooks

52 games registered

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Deus VultDungeonlandEast India Company CollectionEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Heir to the ThroneImpireEuropa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossLeviathan: Warships
    The Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty II CollectionMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    War of the RosesEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
    Crusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India

Let no man enslave an other man, everyone is a slave of the government.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast