+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: No Iron, One Lion, Maybe Zion

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: Chronicles
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House Divided500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Where the sidewalk ends...

The Egyptians don't show up immediately after the DoW. Without knowing their forces I don't want to risk leaving my home territory. I just send a single brigade to besiege Assab, where I'd have enough notice to defend or retreat. I still find awkward the 3k groupings (instead of the 1K EU3 units), was post-Napoleonic military organisation really able to treble the number of soldiers under the same officers' command?

It's in late July that a 24K force finally appears, heading directly for Gonder. I wait and defemd with all my forces (except the brigade in Assab), and the mountain bonus seems to work: the Egyptian losses are quite bad.

I chase them to Akordat and finally Massawa, where they are completely eliminated. I quickly retreat back to Ethiopia when I notice the horrible attrition levels anything above 1 brigade gets in these provinces...

Egypt sends another force of 9,000 men in November (defeated in Assab) and two or three lone brigades in early 1838. Assab falls this point and I feel confident enough to set a war goal and demand the state of Asmara (today's Eritrea) for my efforts (at the cost of 10 Infamy points).

That's not the end of the Egyptians, though, they send a 15K force in March which manages to capture Aksum in May. But again, I defeat them at my capital.

The rest of 1838 and early 1839 I'm left to occupy the rest of Asmara undisturbed, until I have enough warscore to get the state in a peace offer in April 1839 (I choose not to extend slavery to Asmara, since I plant to abolish it when I get enough support in the upper house.)

And with enough prestige from victory I can enact the Negusa Nagast! decision, which confirms the monarch as the one and only, absolute emperor of Ethiopia.

Now I can sit back and bask on my newly acquired position and prestige for a while, and keep researching and saving some money for when I have something to spend it on. In fact, I do have something to start spending... the state of Asmara is not very rich or populous, but it gives Ethiopia a new strategic factor to consider: access to the sea. I commission the construction of a transport and a frigate as a fledgeling Imperial Navy. I also use my diplomatic points to improve relations with the United Kingdom and the Ottomans whenever possible.

Finally in September 1843 the research of Freedom of Trade is complete! I select Post-Napoleonic Thought as second technology, in order to build forts and as another step to westernisation.

I can't emphasise enough what a massive difference Freedom of Trade makes in an uncivilised economy. But I can show the figures. Income a month before and a month after FoT:

Income from my two main wealth sources, coffee and cattle, has doubled, and with it the tax take across the board Outgoings, tariffs and daily balance, a month before and a month after:

So basically, I'm filthy rich! After the war with Egypt I had already been able to loosen taxes down to 40-35-40% and tariffs to 15%. Now with FoT I can lower tax further to the minimum allowed by my current government and reduce tariffs to 5%, while still keeping a decent surplus for the future.

And of course the future always comes sooner than expected, in this case May 1844...

On-hold: Mamma Mia! The AAR
    Completed: Europe is our dancefloor | The Shortest Road to Damascus | No Iron, One Lion, Maybe Zion
    Tintero

The July AARlander is out now, no excuse not to read it: Thread | PDF | iBooks

Art - Games - History Alexspeed's Avatar
    83 games registered

200k clubAchtung PanzerHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: Armageddon
    Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    DiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossKing Arthur IIThe Kings Crusade
    MagickaMajesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionPenumbra - Black Plague
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesHearts of Iron: The Card GameCK2: Holy Knight
    EU3 Collectors EditionKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Blog Entries
    Oh my, they are back for the next beating allready, dont they ever learn?

Excellent update, thanks
    Platypus rutilus, in hoc signo vinces - In honorem Paradox!
    Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign for a diseased mind! – Terry Pratchett
    ----------- -----------
    Alexspeed´s MIP - Map Improvment Package and Untransparent Map Mod for Victoria 2.
    Alexspeed´s Canvas Worldmap, SexiiColours Intense and Clear Map Overlay for Victoria 2.

Mount & Blade Custom Flag Tutorial - Alexspeed´s Victoria 2 Wallpapers and Loadscreens & Wallpapers for EU3

Member of The Iconians Club 50 and the 200k Club - - Proud Owner of the SAS Award for Forum Dedication.
    My finished Victoria 2 AAR Contest - My AwAARds: Fan of the Week: 7-Nov-2010

That war seemed all rather easy

So the area of Asmara incorporates Akordat, Massawa and Assab?

Time to give those Egyptian scum another bloody nose eh!?

200k clubEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2

Yay!

Create a coptic empire to stretch from Alexandria to Gonder!
    Brittania: A Saga of Albion - Hiatus
    AwAARds
    WritAAR of the Week 11/23/09
    Character WritAAR of the Week 03/08/10
    Showcased 24/04/2010
    Favourite CK History Book AAR 07/06/2010 and 01/02/2011

It was rather nice of them to walk right into the province you wanted them to attack and now you have a coastline theres a lot more options for you.

Egypt is really being quite obliging the way they decide to just give their provinces away to you

Crusader Kings IIVictoria 2Warlock: Master of the Arcane

Congrats on the victory, and the update!

The AI tends to keep making the same mistakes over and over - I would expect Egypt to be DOWing you every 5 years for quite some time. May I suggest investing in an army technology or two? It may delay the technological progress towards Westernization, but beating up on Egypt will help with the prestige and military scores needed for it.
    Author of the CK2 Matchmaker - a tool that analyzes your save-games to help you find that perfect noble.

Author of the Victoria2 advisor - a tool that analyzes your save-games and gives you useful info.

Author of Vic2 AARs for China, Switzerland, Denmark, Persia and Mexico.
    EU3 AARs for Venice and Hungary.

Crusader Kings IIHearts of Iron IIIEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Victoria 2Rome: Vae Victis

Nice job against Egypt, the first time! I completely concur in your tactics.

Interested to see what this new war will bring. You can blockade now... unless the Egyptians have warships, maybe?

Rensslaer
    Serenity - (V2 v1.3) - An isolationist Japan tries to stay out of everybody's way (Updated July '13)
    Kriegsgefahr (Impending War) - (HOI3/SF/HPP) - Germany attempts to remain at peace! (Updated Apr '13)
    Locarno - Italy vs. Germany (HOI3/SF/HPP) - What if Mussolini stood with France against Hitler?
    The Die is Cast (Roman Civil War) - Caesar will make a name for himself! (Updated June '12)
    Império Novo - An Axis Portugal AAR for HOI 3 (Updated May '13)
    Fire Warms the Northern Lands - A Prussian Victoria 1 AAR (Awarded the VictAARian Cross for Jan-Jun 2006)
    Castles In the Sky (Vicky 1) * Sforza!!! - A Milan AAR (EU III) (Updated May '13) * I Am Siam (V2 Minor) (tied for Silver VictAARian Cross for Best AAR completed in 2011) * A Long Time Ago... (HOI 1 Argentina)* Check Rensslaer's Inkwell! (list of online writings)

First Lieutenant Communitarian!'s Avatar
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2

Hey, great AAR so far! It's the first one I've decided to unlurk for... Ethiopia's an awesome country, and I look forward to see where you take her. I'm a relative newbie to both Vic2 and Paradox, so this is really exciting for me. Are you thinking of gaining turf mostly by colonizing or showing the rest of the world what Prestor John thinks about their imperialism? Either way, keep it up!
    Chatting with the friendly ghosts of Voltairine, Haywood, Goldman, Makhno, and Berkman.

Nationality: Cajun
    Religion: Erisian
    Ideology: Syndicalist
    Issues: Community Ownership/Full-Citizenship
    Current Work: Researching: Full-Time Employment
    Cash Reserves: £5
    Revolt Risk: i = 1
    Militancy: 8.15
    Consciousness: 9.68 (+0.50 daily)

52 games registered

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Deus VultDungeonlandEast India Company CollectionEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneImpireEuropa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossLeviathan: Warships
    The Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty II CollectionMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    War of the RosesEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
    Crusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India

This time, further into Aegypt!
    They have no hills, that means they must run and hide in the Nile delta.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Mount & Blade: WarbandPride of Nations500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

The historically hard-to-beat Ethiopians triumph again. I'd have thought Egypt would have better things to do like trying to westernise, but it seems it just likes donating provinces to you.

Maybe their plan is to tempt you over the BB-limit.
    AAR in progress
    Yet this will go onward the same: the Yamato Destiny - Continuation of the last AAR in Victoria 2. Last updated 17th October 2012

Completed AAR
    The Yamato Destiny: A Japan HTTT AAR

Right now it doesnt seem you have many options, you stuck with egypt wars for while (at least without boats).

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae Victis

Good of Egypt to provide you with easy prestige via the drubbing you are sure to deal them once again! Clearly they are simply aiding their fellow African neighbours towards westernisation, they do not actually wish to harm Ethiopia.
    This AAR Soks
    WritAAR of the Week: 8 January 2012 and Weekly AAR Showcase: 15 April 2012

Are you Deshtined to suffer another kiss?
    Favourite EU Comedy AAR AARland Choice AwAARds 2010 (Q3) and 2011 (Q3)
    Character Writer of the Week: 5 December 2010

My Inkwell - Warning! This content is rated EP: Extremely Poor
    Fan of the Week: 7 September 2010, 27 February 2011 and 26 April 2012

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Rome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

Blog Entries
    What is your army like at the start of "the second war of Egyptian agression"? Any larger or more moder than the first time round?

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineKing Arthur IIMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the ArcaneCK2: Holy KnightEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    Warlock 2: The Exiled

Blog Entries
    Title is made of win.
    "Man is free; but his freedom does not look like the glorious liberty of the Enlightenment; it is no longer the gift of God. Once again, man stands alone in the universe, responsible for his condition, likely to remain in a lowly state, but free to reach above the stars.."
    -Jean-Paul Sartré

A Smooth Operator Brandenburg III's Avatar
    A Game of DwarvesHoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEast India Company Collection
    Europa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIThe Kings Crusade
    Majesty II CollectionRome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordRise of Prussia500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

On the corner of Breaking Hearts & Forgetting Names
    Blog Entries
    I didn’t want to say anything at first because I’ve seen AI Ethiopia win the initial war a few times in my games. Didn’t want to sour you in case you lost. But there’s always next war.
    My Ink Well updated 30 June 2013 Contains AARs, Mods and Projects

HOI II Library Updated through 13 March 2009

Isn't Massawa supposed to have gold?

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: Chronicles
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldVictoria 2

Alexspeed - I don't mind AI stubbornness, when it plays in my favour

Strategic Fail - I was quite surprised as well, I thought the Egyptians would have a bigger army. Then again the war wasn't cost-free, I lost a lot of able soldiers. The state of Asmara is divided in 4 provinces: Asmara, Akordat, Massawa and Assab.

Vesimir - I'll definitely try, the last part of the AAR title is the religious agenda, I'd like to take Alexandria for the Coptic patriarchate, Mecca and Medina for the Muslims and Jerusalem for all Abrahamic religions.

Quacky - It seems the AI went straight for the capital, which is generally a good tactic decision. Only this time it was well defended

Rabid - What do you mean give to me? They are rightfully mine

badger_ken - Thanks! Now I can't remember exactly when I started research in military techs, but it was further down the line.

Rensslaer - Thanks! I can't remember if I used my fleet in the next war, but I do remember the only Egyptian fleet is in the Med, and obviously with no canal...

Communitarian! - Thanks and welcome! My first objective is to learn and survive, then hopefully become a Middle Eastern power.

Enewald - The Nile delta is a bad place to hide, it's full of anarcho-liberals

Dewirix - if that's is their plan I'm afraid it won't work

Tmac - I don't mind being stuck with Egypt as long as I can defend myself and get some land in the process

morningSIDEr - Maybe Paradox are just trying to simulate the bad state in which the Egyptian sultanate was a the time.

Alfredian - same number of brigades, but I think I'd replaced 1 or 2 with regular infantry.

Arilou - I hope so. Thanks and welcome!

Brandenburg III - Thanks for your support I'm following Rennslaer's advice, what can possibly go wrong?

Searry - I wish! But as far as I can remember Asmara only had sandalwood and cattle.

Update coming. I'm on holiday in sunny Rhodes at the moment, but I brought enough screen shots with me for a couple of updates, if the patchy hotel wifi lets me...
    Completed: Europe is our dancefloor | The Shortest Road to Damascus | No Iron, One Lion, Maybe Zion
    Tintero

Denial ain't just a river

Egypt once again comes south with its main army and once again I wait for it in my own territory. And yes, once again the Egyptians get routed, although I'm quite surprised about the casualty differential, given that Akordat doesn't have mountain terrain. At this point I can't remember if my leader was particularly good or if I had already replaced some brigades of irregulars with regular infantry.

Either way (maybe thanks to both) I completely destroy what seems to be the only serious Egyptian force. The next 18 months I can go for the state of Khartoum undisturbed (the war goal costs another 10 infamy points), apart from a few single brigades showing up occasionally.

In December 1845 Egypt eventually concedes my war goal. Will they learn the lesson this time?

Unlike Asmara, Khartoum is a very populous state (my second largest now), so once I've finished promoting enough bureaucrats and clergymen in my capital I switch my national focus to promote clergymen in the new state in order to have the biggest national impact.

Things stay quiet for a few years, in which I recruit 2 more brigades and build 3 more vessels. In 1849 I get a border dispute with Egypt, and with it a handy casus belli. Unfortunately the Ottomans add Egypt to their sphere of influence in 1850, before the truce runs out. I start seeing the famous rebel problems in v1.1 in the UK: Scotland becomes independent in 1849, and Ireland follows the following year, although the UK will eventually manage to re-annex them five years later…

Also in 1849 the research of Post-Napoleonic thought is completed, giving me something substantial to spend money on. I start building forts along the coast and the northern border. I move research to Rights of Man, again on the path to westernisation.

In 1850 I get my first taste of rebels, some anarcho-liberals rise in two provinces of Khartoum. Luckily they are no great threat. They are dealt with quickly and I don't see any more after that.

The economy continues doing well, thanks to Freedom of Trade I can afford relatively low taxes (30-25-30%), low tariffs (5%), some investment in administration (55%) and even a bit more in education (60%). The three population strata seem happy enough (even the artisans!). Maybe these were the days when coffee was really profitable… or maybe the effects of Freedom of Trade should be softened a bit in future patches.

Rights of Man is completed in 1854 (it would have given me an extra national focus if I'd had enough population of my main culture) and I continue research on Private Banks. This year I notice three things: 1. Egypt is having serious trouble with rebels; 2. the Ottomans are pushed out of the Great Power list by Mexico; 3 My infamy is below 10. No prices to those who guess what comes next...

Tintero

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast