+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: No Iron, One Lion, Maybe Zion

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: Chronicles
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House Divided500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

No Iron, One Lion, Maybe Zion

No Iron, One Lion, Maybe Zion
    An empire well under the sun

This is the account of my first ever Victoria game, played with the nation of Ethiopia. It might not be riveting enough stuff for an AAR, but I thought it would be nice to share the experience and dispel the myth that this is a difficult game to play. It really isn't, there is no situation that can't be overcome by following PrawnStar's rule #1: if in doubt, hit pause. Pause as often as you need to, review the situation, have a think, have a cup of tea, then resume the game when you are clear and ready.

And before I start, some recommended reading: Rensslaer's I Am Siam - A V2 Minor Strategy AAR for the detail, Singleton Mosby's Under the Rising Sun - A V2 Review AAR for the ambition, and Deaghaidh's The Heart of Africa: A Visitor's Guide to Modern Ethiopia for the flavour.
    On-hold: Mamma Mia! The AAR
    Completed: Europe is our dancefloor | The Shortest Road to Damascus | No Iron, One Lion, Maybe Zion
    Tintero

The April AARlander is out now, no excuse not to read it: Thread | PDF | iBooks

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: Chronicles
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldVictoria 2

It's the economy, stupid

The main reason I chose Ethiopia for my first game, after doing the tutorial, is the limited amount of things to do for an unciv with just one neighbour. Victoria is not a difficult game, but the sheer quantity of options available to the player can be overwhelming to start with. Ethiopia, I thought, would offer a nice, gentle learning curve since as you can see, Africa in 1836 is a lonely place for uncivs...

Ethiopia doesn't start very high in the world ranking, but we have peace and plenty of coffee to get on and build up. The Egyptians don't concern me too much as northern neighbours, they should have enough to worry about down the Nile anyway. And if they do attack, I have plenty of lovely mountains to show them

The very first thing to do is hit the technology section and select the first tech to put the bright minds to work. No rocket science here, for an unciv the one and only tech to pursue first is Freedom of Trade, the economic foundation of any modern nation. It's also unsurprisingly needed (along another four techs) to be able to westernise.

Politically Ethiopia is not very complex yet. We have a king/emperor, no elections, and a comfortably conservative upper house. Everybody loves the emperor, and those who don't... well those who don't are clearly not proper Ethiopians

The population is overwhelmingly farmers, across the three Ethiopian regions. Slaves also make up a significant portion, something that will have to be addressed later in the game as the upper house becomes more liberal. The second thing to do after tech is setting your national focus to encourage a particular type of profession. I think the first one I chose was to promote bureaucrats in Ethiopian Negele (always choose the most populated region first, in order to get the most effective impact in the nation), they seem to be even scarcer than clergymen.

And finally the economy screen, the scary one, have a look a it. And then ignore it. It's what Rensslaer would call the first month economic mirage. Supply and demand have yet to work through the system so that prices reach balance. Which means the money you allegedly earn on 1 Jan 1836 is an illusion.

Now look at the same screen in May 1836. That's when I finally manage some budget balance, after learning the harsh truth: coffee and all I only make around £12 a day. The cost of a balanced budget is high: hike up taxes to 90-85-90%, tariffs to 27%, lower military upkeep to 30%. Leaving just a small margin to increase education and administration upkeeps to 55-60%.

The good news is that you don't really need to massively increase these upkeeps, you can see that a small nudge (and the national focus in the capital state) have already increased administrative efficiency from 5.2 to 7% in the space of 5 months.

The bad news is, well, the population is not very happy to have such extortionate taxes upon them. I don't blame them They'll have to put up with it for a while, though, if they want to have a modern, efficient, powerful nation.

And I'll need every penny of tax, and even those 9 brigades of irregulars, as Egypt comes knocking as early as May 1837...

Last edited by aldriq; 17-09-2010 at 20:50.
    Completed: Europe is our dancefloor | The Shortest Road to Damascus | No Iron, One Lion, Maybe Zion
    Tintero

Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDiplomacyEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneRome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Nice and detailed AAR. After seeing the other Ethiopia AAR I was considering giving the Empire a spin, hopefully I can find some tips here.

However I'd like to say that one thing I always do is lower the admin slider to 10% or 20%. The admin efficiency goes up really fast anyway and that money can be better spent elsewhere, it also helps you avoid a massively bloated administration.

Good luck against Egypt, they always seem to be eager to bully Ethiopia and annex all their lands.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Victoria 2EU3 Collectors EditionEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by aldriq View Post
    There is no situation that can't be overcome by following PrawnStar's rule #1: if in doubt, hit pause. Pause as often as you need to, review the situation, have a think, have a cup of tea, then resume the game when you are clear and ready.
    Well after that I'm going to have to follow this AAR aren't I.

Looks like that Egyptian DOW was definitely a cup of tea moment

Apparently I need to buy some more gravel.

My AARs: EU3 England, Golden Horde, France, Iroquois, Castile / EU2 Finland / My Inkwell

"Sunset Invasion isn't ASB - it's just Prawnstar playing CK2" Athalcor
    "If EU3 had exiled prawn-like aliens he'd be the first one to do a WC with them..." aldriq
    "You were prawn under a conquering stAAR!" Arakhor

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneSemper FiVictoria 2Mount & Blade: Warband

Oh dear. Let's hope that those mountains of yours will keep the Egyptian stacks safely at bay.
    Recipient of the 6th ever Irish Shamrock Cookie and a birthday cookie! Thank you King_Richard_XI!

Sir dinofs of Gowin-Fártherr, Duke of Insanity, Lord of Tomfoolery, Spirit of Change, Upsetter of the Status Quo, Reverser of Historical Trends, Defeater of Ming, and All-Around Meddler.

Fan of the week, 1-08-2010!
    WRITAAR OF THE WEEK 23-05-2010!

Simplified and Stylish Realism Bob Ilyani's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

That doesn't sound good. Good luck against Egypt and in your AAR, I'll be following.

Crusader Kings IIHearts of Iron IIIEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Victoria 2Rome: Vae Victis

Most excellent, Aldriq! And thank you for that fine plug.

I had never really thought of it before, but Ethiopia is sort of a "where the sidewalk ends" kind of place in 1836. Kind of like "you can't get there from here" -- not by sea, and not really by land, except through the territory of your mortal enemy.

I do love Prawnstar's advice. Very well said, and true! I do that often.

Looking forward to your "showing the Egyptians a few mountains!"

Rensslaer
    Serenity - (V2 v1.3) - An isolationist Japan tries to stay out of everybody's way (Updated July '13)
    Kriegsgefahr (Impending War) - (HOI3/SF/HPP) - Germany attempts to remain at peace! (Updated Apr '13)
    Locarno - Italy vs. Germany (HOI3/SF/HPP) - What if Mussolini stood with France against Hitler?
    The Die is Cast (Roman Civil War) - Caesar will make a name for himself! (Updated June '12)
    Império Novo - An Axis Portugal AAR for HOI 3 (Updated May '13)
    Fire Warms the Northern Lands - A Prussian Victoria 1 AAR (Awarded the VictAARian Cross for Jan-Jun 2006)
    Castles In the Sky (Vicky 1) * Sforza!!! - A Milan AAR (EU III) (Updated May '13) * I Am Siam (V2 Minor) (tied for Silver VictAARian Cross for Best AAR completed in 2011) * A Long Time Ago... (HOI 1 Argentina)* Check Rensslaer's Inkwell! (list of online writings)

200k clubEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2

I'll follow!

You can thank Prawnstar cause I probably wouldn't find it otherwise. ;p
    Brittania: A Saga of Albion - Hiatus
    AwAARds
    WritAAR of the Week 11/23/09
    Character WritAAR of the Week 03/08/10
    Showcased 24/04/2010
    Favourite CK History Book AAR 07/06/2010 and 01/02/2011

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Mount & Blade: WarbandPride of Nations500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Excellent - another gameplay Vicky 2 AAR that I can try to glean tips from. I'm still baffled by the demo.

Good choice of nation. Historically you'll be able to remain independent right up to 1936.
    AAR in progress
    Yet this will go onward the same: the Yamato Destiny - Continuation of the last AAR in Victoria 2. Last updated 17th October 2012

Completed AAR
    The Yamato Destiny: A Japan HTTT AAR

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEast India CompanyEU3 Complete
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the Eagles
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSupreme Ruler 2020
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness

I pity the fools in Egypt who have declared war on you!

Getting in early because this may the quickest Vicky 2 AAR yet unless there is a plan B to relying on 9,000 tribesmen to stop Egypt.
    Fan of the Week 22 February 2010 - Role PlayAAR of the Month March 2014

Indies -The AAR which refuses to sell out. Featured on Weekly AAR Showcase 21 July 2010 (Still writing Episode 4 "A New Hope" - the Flux will be with you)

Marshal Nikolai Fedorovich Vatutin, Chief of Stavka, in Tukhachevsky's Army and the Politburo Admin thread and Update thread.
    Frederic Burke, son of Edmund Burke, Commerce Minister 1866-1886 and son of Patrice "Bulwark" Burke, Former Chief of Staff of Belgium, Edge of Europe - an interactive AAR of ThunderHawk3
    Adolf von Arnim-Boitzenburg, Proud Imperialist in Sonderweg oder Anderweg - An interactive AAR in the Hohenzollerns megacampaign

200k clubEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2

Quote Originally Posted by Davout View Post
    Getting in early because this may the quickest Vicky 2 AAR yet unless there is a plan B to relying on 9,000 tribesmen to stop Egypt.
    Nah. Egypt only takes the westernmost state, it never annexes Ethiopia.
    Brittania: A Saga of Albion - Hiatus
    AwAARds
    WritAAR of the Week 11/23/09
    Character WritAAR of the Week 03/08/10
    Showcased 24/04/2010
    Favourite CK History Book AAR 07/06/2010 and 01/02/2011

Art - Games - History Alexspeed's Avatar
    79 games registered

200k clubAchtung PanzerHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: Armageddon
    Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    DiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossKing Arthur IIThe Kings Crusade
    MagickaMajesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionPenumbra - Black Plague
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesHearts of Iron: The Card GameCK2: Holy Knight
    EU3 Collectors EditionKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Blog Entries
    I shall follow this

Have you changed the map colours somehow yourself or using a country colour mod? I dont recall to see a blueish Austria before just to name a example.
    Platypus rutilus, in hoc signo vinces - In honorem Paradox!
    Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign for a diseased mind! – Terry Pratchett
    ----------- -----------
    Alexspeed´s MIP - Map Improvment Package and Untransparent Map Mod for Victoria 2.
    Alexspeed´s Canvas Worldmap, SexiiColours Intense and Clear Map Overlay for Victoria 2.

Mount & Blade Custom Flag Tutorial - Alexspeed´s Victoria 2 Wallpapers and Loadscreens & Wallpapers for EU3

Member of The Iconians Club 50 and the 200k Club - - Proud Owner of the SAS Award for Forum Dedication.
    My finished Victoria 2 AAR Contest - My AwAARds: Fan of the Week: 7-Nov-2010

Looking forward to the war with anticipation and hope to learn something about this game along the way.

Crusader Kings IIVictoria 2Warlock: Master of the Arcane

Great AAR, looking forwards to more!

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultDungeonlandEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossLeviathan: WarshipsThe Kings CrusadeMagicka
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the Roses
    EU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Death, it comes!
    Run to the hills!

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae Victis

Very glad I caught this early on and its excellent to see you beginning a V2 AAR, I'll certainly be following. Hopefully Ethiopia's mountains will indeed turn back Egypt's attack. If nothing else, drop some sacks of coffee beans on them from the mountain tops.
    This AAR Soks
    WritAAR of the Week: 8 January 2012 and Weekly AAR Showcase: 15 April 2012

Are you Deshtined to suffer another kiss?
    Favourite EU Comedy AAR AARland Choice AwAARds 2010 (Q3) and 2011 (Q3)
    Character Writer of the Week: 5 December 2010

My Inkwell - Warning! This content is rated EP: Extremely Poor
    Fan of the Week: 7 September 2010, 27 February 2011 and 26 April 2012

The Guardian of Divergences Athalcor's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDungeonlandEU3 Complete
    Divine WindHeir to the ThroneLeviathan: WarshipsMarch of the EaglesSengoku
    Sword of the StarsThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the RosesCK2: Holy Knight500k clubTeleglitch: Die More Edition
    Europa Universalis IV

Count me in! Btw. how much I have to check Mamma Mia? Will the updates come in longer time periods?
    Immersion Enhancement mod for the Byzantine Empire - With an Imperial Decadence system!

Gravel kind: The best succession law since the introduction of cement kind.

Modders: The guys who know the games the best without actually being able to play them...

My two shamefully abandoned AARs...

Well, its been a week and no update. I'd guess that egypt raped him and then reach out the computer screen and just kept raping. Shame really, I wanted to see this country played in this AAR style.

Welcome everybody and thanks for all your comments! It's nice to start with a full page of them!

Tommy4ever - Thanks! I see your point about admin maintenance, although, doesn't it make sense to get admin efficiency growing as fast as possible first to increase the tax take?

PrawnStar - No obligation Not sure if Egypt declared war late at night, in which case it might have been a dram-of-whisky moment

dinofs - Mountains are a great defence, as you'll see.

Bob Ilyani - Thanks!

Rensslaer - Where the sidewalk ends... I do like that for a title.

Vesimir - Thanks! I pay PrawnStar well... in high quality, luxury pebbles.

Dewirix - Indeed, it was one of the very few African nations to preserve their independence through the scramble.

Davout - Hey, some respect, it's 9 brigades x 3,000 = 27,000 proud imperial tribesmen Just like a guinea had 21 shillings and 1 shilling had 12 pence

Alexspeed - I think that weird colour of Austria is a JPEG quirk, in the original map it's off-white.

Strategic Fail - I hope so too.

badger_ken - Thanks!

Enewald - You've suggested that in another AAR... can't remember which one. Always wise advice.

morningSIDEr - The coffee is mine, all mine! If the Egyptians want some they'll have to pay for it!

Athalcor - Thanks! Mamma Mia! updates will have to wait for a bit, I'm afraid.

Blxz - No rape, only weekly updates being my fastest setting I've played to mid 70s so far, so I've got a few updates left to write without even playing.

gabor - I know, I was hoping for at least 5 years.
    Tintero

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast