• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I loved that painting of the burial, a grand find I must say.

In case you are interested, it is the work of Bertalan Székely and depicts the death of Louis II, who was the King of Hungary during the Ottoman invasion of Europe in the early XVI. Century, who died in the battle of Mohacs. The painting itself is pretty well known around here, from history books :)

Milites said:
I loved that painting of the burial, a grand find I must say.

Also: *high-fives Hunyadi Magyar style*

I really love that painting too. It's one of my favorite discoveries as I looked for pictures for the AAR. Also, I see you're happy about Hunyadi winning. ;)

In case you are interested, it is the work of Bertalan Székely and depicts the death of Louis II, who was the King of Hungary during the Ottoman invasion of Europe in the early XVI. Century, who died in the battle of Mohacs. The painting itself is pretty well known around here, from history books :)

Thank you, Slan! I knew it was depicting the death of Louis II, but I didn't know it was still pretty well known around Hungary. You learn something new everyday. Cheers.

`Just read the full 9 pages and I have to say I really, really love this AAR!! Fascionating writing and nice and easy to follow! I hope you will finish this and I can't wait for the big clashes with the Ottomans/Austria/Russia.

Thank you, Slan! I knew it was depicting the death of Louis II, but I didn't know it was still pretty well known around Hungary. You learn something new everyday. Cheers.

Well, by "pretty well known", I meant it is included in every history book for schools, but I'm starting to lose my faith in our education, or rather its efficiency. But I blame the youth, not the system in this case. Anyway, back to your version of history! :)

`Just read the full 9 pages and I have to say I really, really love this AAR!! Fascionating writing and nice and easy to follow! I hope you will finish this and I can't wait for the big clashes with the Ottomans/Austria/Russia.

I'm glad you're liking it. And you'll see those clashes in a bit, though it's not the typical clashes in many AARs or historically. You'll see what I mean later. :)

Slan said:
Well, by "pretty well known", I meant it is included in every history book for schools, but I'm starting to lose my faith in our education, or rather its efficiency. But I blame the youth, not the system in this case. Anyway, back to your version of history! :)

I feel the same way when it comes to education as well except that I blame the youth and the system. :p

And the next update will be up hopefully tomorrow! This week is incredibly busy for me, I have a huge book design due on Tuesday and a 25 page paper on Rome's Soldiers in the Late Republic due on Thursday. So, if I can, I'll get an update tomorrow, but then you probably won't see one again until the weekend. Cheers.

Okay, you got me; I didn't see that coming. Just as I was starting to warm up to the idea of rooting for Matyas, Hunyadi throws a Hail Mary pass in the closing minutes of the 4th quarter and manages a win.

Great update; can't wait to see how Hunyadi governs.

Hi All!

Nice AAR so far. I just want to write some things about the Hunyadis and the "Magyars".

The "Magyar" is equal to the "Hungarian". It is the same, just another language. Magyarország = "MagyarCountry" = Hungary. Current government is Republic, so its full name today is "Hungarian Republic" = "Magyar Köztársaság". In the middle age it was a kingdom, so its full name was "Hungarian Kingdom" = "Magyar Királyság".

Mathias Rex (Corvin Mathias, Mátyás király, Mátyás Hunyadi, Mátyás az Igazságos = Mathias the Just, etc.) was Hungarian. His father and mother are also Hungarians. His mother is Erzsébet Szilágyi, Hungarian; his father, János Hunyadi (a törökverő=the Turkish-beater) has Hungarian mother (Erzsébet Morsinai) and a father of unknown origin (named Vajk, a nobleman from Wallachia, probably Kun or Turkish origin). At these times Wallachian nobles was mostly not Romanians, but Kuns, Turkish, and so on. The name "Vajk" also isn't Romanian and because of János's crow-black hair and his father's name, probably his father was a Kun. There is some stories from these times indicate that the father of János was King Zsigmond himself, but this is probably false.

Mátyás was the best king of Hungary, in his time of reign the golden age of Hungary happened. János and Mátyás always had Hungarian identity and culture (although Mátyás liked the Italian culture also, one of his wife, Beatrix/Beatrice was Italian), and in these times Hungary was one of the richest and strongest country all over the world. At this time Wallachia and Moldova were principalities, and vassals of either Hungary or the Ottomans (overlords changed pretty often).

So in the perspective of strict ethnicity János was 1/2 Hungarian, Mátyás (and his brother, László) were 3/4 Hungarians. But from the view of identity they were 100% Hungarians.

pecaboy, Not that I want to take the wind out of your sails(although some of your claims are tenuous at best), but let's not get into the whole ethnic debate in such a fine AAR, allright? It's been done to death in other forums.

Eber, a great update as always! Looking forward to the long reign of the Corvinus dynasty.

pecaboy, thank you for your interest in this AAR, but please let's keep things on-topic. Speaking about the Magyars a little is okay, but let's not get into a huge discussion about Hungarian heritage or history for it will take away from the AAR and the story. But again, thank you for your interest, I hope you post again! :)

Eber, a great update as always! Looking forward to the long reign of the Corvinus dynasty.

Thank you! Let's hope it is a long reign. ;)

Solten said:
Good AAR keep it up!

Thank you and welcome to the thread!

As some of you probably can tell, there will not be an update yet. I sincerely apologize for this, but unfortunately my work does come first. My book design as well as my Roman paper is taking much longer than I wanted or expected. I hope to have an update by Friday but the very latest will be Sunday.

All right! KUTGW! ;)

One last thing: an interesting "10 centuries in 5 minutes" map-video, from 1000 A.D. to nowadays.
http://vimeo.com/16914018
You can see Mathias's Hungary at 1:48, including Silesia, Moravia and Wien. :rolleyes: That was Hungary's greatest extent in her history. Then the Mohacs catastrophe in 1526 and the "split/broken-to-3-pieces" in 1541 happened. BTW, such state as "Transylvania" (Erdély) hadn't existed until 1541, but that's another story :)

(and this is the end of the history lesson :) keep playin'!)

Last edited by a moderator:
(and this is the end of the history lesson :) keep playin'!)

That's actually a very interesting video, thanks for posting it! Back to the game and AAR now. ;)

This is the first AAR I have read and really enjoyed it. Very well put together and entertaining. I look forward to reading more.

This cannot be dead, Eber... it is not, right?
(forgive my archaic spelling, I am in my granddads house and it would just happen that is in the Netherlands, and thus has an English keyboard, where I have a Swiss one and am just lost in this thing.)

This is the first AAR I have read and really enjoyed it. Very well put together and entertaining. I look forward to reading more.

Thank you very much! What an honor for it to be the first AAR that you have read. I hope you continue to read and enjoy my AAR. :)

CivandEUIII said:
This cannot be dead, Eber... it is not, right?
(forgive my archaic spelling, I am in my granddads house and it would just happen that is in the Netherlands, and thus has an English keyboard, where I have a Swiss one and am just lost in this thing.)

Don't fret, the AAR is not dead. I apologize for the brief hiatus but, at the moment, my work has completely swamped me with projects and papers. There is too much to do with so little time. Fortunately, the dreaded amount of work is being completed at a decent pace. I hope to have the next update up soon, but I must finish my other work before I can continue with this. I do apologize in the delay.