+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 41 FirstFirst ... 7 22 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast

Thread: The Eternal Exile: A Nation Hopping AAR

2009 Stanley Cup Champs Chicken's Avatar
    200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

I love the commentary that Talena and Maria share. It's so sarcastic that I can't help but laugh every time.
    “I celebrated Thanksgiving in an old-fashioned way. I invited everyone in my neighborhood to my house, we had an enormous feast, and then I killed them and took their land.” - Jon Stewart
    ---
    #21: You can silence me but there will be others. Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus!
    Dr. Killinger: It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
    #21: I did? Cool.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Mount & Blade: WarbandPride of Nations500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

A few bandits aren't really much of a challenge for Talena. Working out exactly what Maria's agenda is, on the other hand...
    AAR in progress
    Yet this will go onward the same: the Yamato Destiny - Continuation of the last AAR in Victoria 2. Last updated 17th October 2012

Completed AAR
    The Yamato Destiny: A Japan HTTT AAR

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHeir to the Throne
    Rome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

morningSIDEr: I know! Tut tut!
    Mr Sometimes: A good point! Have to make things interesting, I feel! And yeah...those girls...they need to try harder!
    Sather: But of course!
    blsteen: They sure did! It's a mistake they won't make again.
    Boris: I'll start playing France game-wise in 2 updates, so it's at default 1534 mode at the moment. The Count is a little bemused.
    Chicken: Thanks!
    Dewirix: Yes, she is an odd one, isn't she....

Chapter 16 – The Court of King François

23/8/1533

Fontainebleau Palace, to the south of Paris, was a beautiful structure. Enlarged by King François it was now the royal residence and administrative centre of France. As the carriage finally rolled into the gardens around the Count had been joined by his retainers and other servants who had travelled behind or awaited his arrival.
    Many guards and soldiers protected the King’s palace, and the Captain of the King’s Bodyguard personally sent them through.

While the Count and Maria went into the chateaux to see the King Talena was left to herself. She wandered through the gardens aimlessly, annoyed and bored at being ignored. If there was one thing that the experience of living so long had taught her it was that she believed she was important. Was she not a warrior and fighter who had travelled the world? Granted no one knew about it, but still! She didn’t consider being self centred was a bad thing though, but realistic.

She was interrupted from her daze as she walked along the path by a tall, rather handsome man in rich clothes. She realised that she had been wandering for hours perhaps. The man was mounted and wore a sword at his side. Behind him were retainers and servants dressed for the hunt.
    Talena stepped aside to let the horse pass, but the rider reined in. “Lady Talena?”
    “Yes, Lord?” she asked. It was only now that she noticed the Fleur de Lys on his outfit. She blinked.
    “You will address his Majesty appropriately!” a courtier ordered.
    “Apologies, Your Majesty,” she said.
    The King did not seem overly unhappy by her mistake. “I was wondering where you had gone. The Count of Blois, a member of my court and a friend, mentioned you were a woman of interest. I wish to talk with you.”
    Talena bowed. “Of course, Your Majesty.”
    “Bring a horse!” the King ordered. “Ride with me,” he commanded.

Talena mounted and immediately cursed the stupid skirts which made horse riding so annoying.
    François was not worried by the delay, instead he seemed most appreciative of looking at her, and when she finally pulled the hated skirt up he looked at the revealed legs.
    “Let us ride. I see you have no problem doing that?” he said smugly.
    “None, Your Majesty,” Talena said. Urging the horse forward she followed the King, and they in turn were trailed by his retinue.
    “The Count mentioned that you were on the run from the Spanish, that you had potential information about them.”
    “I do, Your Majesty,” Talena replied. “You know of course of the expedition to Mexico and the Indies ten years ago?”
    “I do.”
    “Another was launched into the southern land named Peru. There is a land greater in size than all of Muscovy, and great in wealth. These heathens possess enough wealth to fill a room ten feet cubed with gold and silver. But the Spanish failed to conquer them.” Talena decided to overdo it a little. After all, she still had a grudge against the Spanish. “In no small part to my interference. The Lady Maria, companion of the Count will testify to this.”
    The King seemed interested. “And so?”
    “Imagine, great King…they failed to conquer that vast realm. Now they do not have access to that wealth, nor to the other resources of that land. They are weakened. The Hapsburgs will have to divide their forces even more, considering the heretics in the Empire as well.”
    François considered Talena as they trotted. “You know of matters of war?” he asked.
    “It is unusual I know, Majesty, but I do. For a long time though I was in the far east, in the Indies and Cathay. Their ways are strange there, and manners exotic.”
    This seemed to satisfy the King. He could not easily fit a European woman into the mould of a warrior, but an exotic eastern tradition was more understandable.
    “And they train women in the arts of war? Have they no men?”
    “They do, but circumstances often cause changes. I learned because of necessity.”
    “How old are you?” the King asked.
    “How old do I look, Majesty?” she asked.
    François laughed. “That is a question I know not to answer,” he replied.

They talked some more, and when they returned to the palace the King ordered that Talena be given a room and new clothes. He would not permit her to carry a sword, but she would be around.

A Blessing and a Curse: EUIV Narrative AAR! In Progress
    Downfall: A Byzantine Narrative AAR. See the fall of the mightiest empire the world has ever seen. On Hold 3rd Place OVERALL EU3 (Highest Narrative) AARland Choice Awards Q3 2012!
    The Grey Eminence: A British Narrative/History AAR. Witness the rise of Great Britain to world power! COMPLETE! WINNER EU - Narrative for AARland Choice AwAARds 2012 Q1!
    The Eternal Exile: Nation Hopping AAR with a mix of narrative and game-play. On Hold. | WINNER EU - Narrative for AARland Choice AwAARds 2011 Q1!

Winner: AAR Showcase 29/11/2011 | Winner: Character Writer of the Week 19/1/2012 | Winner: Fan of the Week 20/9/2010 and 20/8/2012 | I was Character Writer of the Week 13/12/2010

People's Commissar of the Navy Demi Moderator Avindian's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLeviathan: Warships
    March of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Sword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    V2 BetaCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of Paradise

I noticed the one change you made was to make land provinces a little slower to discover -- may I ask why?
    AARland Awards TsAAR -- Q2 ACAs here! Be sure to check out the winners! Crusader Kings II|Europa Universalis IV|Victoria II|Hearts of Iron 3|Darkest Hour

Consecrated blood waters my fields: a Hvitserk megacampaign -- Brand new!
    Sonderweg oder Anderweg? -- Part 3 of the Hohenzollerns Megacampaign -- Interactive and looking for players
    Tukhachevsky's Army and the Politburo -- an Interactive Soviet TFH AAR -- Updates|Administration -- Nearing its thrilling conclusion!
    Like what you see? Check out my Inkwell for awards and completed AARs!

If I use this color, I am speaking as a Demi-Mod. If you have any questions, please PM me directly. Forum Rules|Interactive AARs|AARland Rules #1|AARland Rules #2

Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMagicka
    Majesty II CollectionSemper FiSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

A bit streched again. Maybe it's just Talena exaggerating to impress that king, but why would Spain be weakened by such a minor setback?

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2

Quote Originally Posted by Sather View Post
    A bit streched again. Maybe it's just Talena exaggerating to impress that king, but why would Spain be weakened by such a minor setback?
    Not gaining the bottomless gold and silver mines of Peru would be damaging to Spain no doubt.

Darkest HourDivine WindVictoria 2

Vancouver BC, Former British Dominion called Canada
    She does not need a SWORD!

Talena knows Kung Fu from China!

Majesty II CollectionSemper FiSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sometimes View Post
    Not gaining the bottomless gold and silver mines of Peru would be damaging to Spain no doubt.
    Only in relation to the real timeline, but it won't weaken the strength Spain already has at that point.
    And actually those mines didn't helped them that much to avoid the decline of the Empire in the late 16th Century.

The Avatar of Time 4th Dimension's Avatar
    Crusader Kings II

The inflation from all that gold and silver probably even sped up the downfall.
    In my cookie jar
    Krofta Kookie! | PanzAARcookie! | Uniting Russia's Russian double-chip Peter Wrangel's chocolate cookie• | Got 10 in Timelines

To place foot upon tyrany's neck,
    to lead tyrants to knowledge of the right,
    this is the most sacred of man's duties!
    Bishop Danilo - The Mountain Wreath

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

The Free and Independent State of Alabama
    Now that I think about it...

Do you think the Legends of Talena have spread across France since she was there last?
    Political Test
    Ideology: Social Democrat

Quote Originally Posted by Razgriz 2K9 View Post
    Now that I think about it...

Do you think the Legends of Talena have spread across France since she was there last?
    Would have been, but the timeline was reseted after the China-chapter, so for every french person this is her first visit there.

Unless during the reset a proverbial transloop brought about the transference of another person's soul through the gate of life and taught the secrets of eternal youth and placed alongside Talena and Maria in France secretly watching them both throughout the thousands of years they have been living.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHeir to the Throne
    Rome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Avindian: Like they said, one thing I hate is that America becomes a patchwork of OPM colonies. So by making them wait longer for discovery it rewards the nations with QFTNW.
    Sather/Mr Sometimes/4th Dimension: Come now...our Talena LIKES to feel important! And yeah, it might not make a big difference at all, but the key thing is that she convinces the King that there IS. So yeah....
    Aliasing: She does! And martial arts...of the future!
    Razgriz/Sather: Spot on. BUT...I do plan to start having weird things happen, like flashbacks/forwards. Bit of temporal instability.

Chapter 17 – A New Dawn For France

2/1/1533

Snow fell and a cold winter wind rattled the panes of the windows. The King of France held court inside, a roaring fire being a concession to weather. Petitioners and nobles came to pay homage to the King and either receive or beg for favours.
    Most of them came and were soon dismissed. However, one man received more attention than any other. It was a nobleman that the King rose to greet.
    “Your Majesty, I bring you great news,” he said, bowing.
    “My dear Duke, I trust you are well?” the King asked rather stiffly.

In the circle of people around the King, Talena watched with interest. In the months she had arrived she had lived in the palace. The King occasionally asked to see her, but more often than not he was more interested in his mistresses and other pursuits. So Talena had been left to herself, and had used the incredible libraries of the palace almost at will. Maria and Reynard had not been around much, so little had happened.
    Now though she detected more than a little tension between the King and his greatest subject. Claude, Duke of Guise was a man in the prime of life, an influential noble, and thus someone who was a potential threat to the monarch.

“I returned from England where your Majesty commanded me to go with diplomatic instructions. A change has occurred, and the Holy Father and King Henry have reached a reconciliation on terms. Furthermore King Henry has agreed to our wise request for an alliance.”
    François nodded and sat. “This is good news, Guise. I will see you and the other peers in one hour to discuss matters of great importance. You are dismissed,” he said.
    The Duke bowed and left.

Talena was walking through the halls when she saw Maria approaching. Talena had managed to acquire a rather nice dress which was utterly impractical for her normal pursuits, but was otherwise quite comfortable.
    “Talena…I’m here to say goodbye for now.” Maria said.
    “Oh? Where are you going?”
    “Jacques Cartier has organised an expedition to America. I’m going with them. I have…reasons for doing so. The Count will be providing the military support here. I assumed you didn’t want to come with us?”
    “No, I’ve had enough of ships for a lifetime.”
    “Or two in your case,” Maria replied wryly. “Enjoy yourself.”
    “So wait, you helped rescue me, brought me here…why?” Talena asked.
    Maria just smiled. “We’ll be in touch….”

XXX

France at the start of 1534 was a nation undergoing a period of consolidation. Despite being defeated in Italy a decade before, France had recovered, and was now preparing for a second attempt to prevent Hapsburg hegemony over Europe.
    The greatest obstacle to the construction of a powerful army was the nobility of France. Although many of the nominally independent duchies had given up their independence the local nobles retained the ability to raise and outfit their own units, grouped during wartime under control of the King.
    This organisation was both cumbersome and inefficient, so François took steps to reorganise the army so it would be created and paid by him alone. The effect was more than a little discontent, but the King’s presence was enough to dissuade any open reaction.
    A Blessing and a Curse: EUIV Narrative AAR! In Progress
    Downfall: A Byzantine Narrative AAR. See the fall of the mightiest empire the world has ever seen. On Hold 3rd Place OVERALL EU3 (Highest Narrative) AARland Choice Awards Q3 2012!
    The Grey Eminence: A British Narrative/History AAR. Witness the rise of Great Britain to world power! COMPLETE! WINNER EU - Narrative for AARland Choice AwAARds 2012 Q1!
    The Eternal Exile: Nation Hopping AAR with a mix of narrative and game-play. On Hold. | WINNER EU - Narrative for AARland Choice AwAARds 2011 Q1!

Winner: AAR Showcase 29/11/2011 | Winner: Character Writer of the Week 19/1/2012 | Winner: Fan of the Week 20/9/2010 and 20/8/2012 | I was Character Writer of the Week 13/12/2010

That womens (picture) smile is frightening me.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2

What with being able to travel in time at will I expect she'll be back just when she's needed :P

Or whenever it would annoy Talena ^^

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae Victis

Interesting updates. Good to see Talena has settled in reasonably well, even if things do seem rather boring for her at present. I daresay she will have something to do soon, probably due to Maria's mysterious actions.
    This AAR Soks
    WritAAR of the Week: 8 January 2012 and Weekly AAR Showcase: 15 April 2012

Are you Deshtined to suffer another kiss?
    Favourite EU Comedy AAR AARland Choice AwAARds 2010 (Q3) and 2011 (Q3)
    Character Writer of the Week: 5 December 2010

My Inkwell - Warning! This content is rated EP: Extremely Poor
    Fan of the Week: 7 September 2010, 27 February 2011 and 26 April 2012

Can Talena into Space now?

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Mount & Blade: WarbandPride of Nations500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Poor Francis doesn't know about Talena's ability to cause spontaneous death in monarchs.

With the Dutch rebellion still a generation away France is going to have to tread carefully what with being surrounded by the Habsburgs. The persistence of independent duchies hardly helps matters.
    AAR in progress
    Yet this will go onward the same: the Yamato Destiny - Continuation of the last AAR in Victoria 2. Last updated 17th October 2012

Completed AAR
    The Yamato Destiny: A Japan HTTT AAR

+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 41 FirstFirst ... 7 22 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast