• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Kind of OT, but where do you get the images for this AAR? I recognized a couple of actors (Stephen Lang and Mena Suvari) and I was curious.

... And poor Lucy...no love for the French blonde. :p

I liked her. Wouldn't have trusted her at all, though.

blsteen said:
ugh you'd have to have quite the presence of mind to be a successful time operative.

I would make a lousy time operative. I'd have to write everything down constantly otherwise I'd forget what I (or my colleagues) had done in various eras and places, and get them all mixed up. Also it would be hard to resist the opportunity to be petty and go kick Isabella's butt at some time and place when she's not expecting it.

Loving the "new" storyline so far Ashantai, can't wait to see what France is like. Is it Protestant/Huguenot now?

"Yes, Lord,&#8221" Talena said meekly.

I had to re-read this line, Talena acting meekly is just too strange, even if it is understandable. I just hope she doesn't have to keep up the charade for too long as I cannot see her putting up with such stuff for too long!

Mr Sometimes: Hey...she's only been in one royal bedroom...and that was when Charles VI died! Though there were a couple she might have WANTED to with though. :p
Sather: Yes, the Frogs! Le Blob Bleu!
Aliasing: As the guys say, that's technically impossible, but I like the idea about messing with her head!
Boris: Yup!
blsteen: You would! I agree, it'd be a nightmare.
Chris Taylor: Welcome back man! Missed you. :) France won't start Protestant...but I've not played ahead too far so I'm not sure what will happen!
morningSIDEr: Very true - but you have to understand that she just escaped a burning...a fate which would be even worse for her since she can't die through normal means! Or of course she might die which is the worst outcome for her. So yeah...just keeping it up until she gets ashore and safe.

Past 600 posts too! You guys are awesome. :)

Chapter 14 – Return to France

22/6/1533

Talena had been given work to do, copying orders and documents. Though she was rather irritated that she would be asked to do menial work she did it. After all, the Count could probably have her thrown overboard if he wanted, and she was in no mind to end up in Spain again!
It had been hard. Speaking the language, especially with the translator, was easy. Writing it was hard, and the spelling was the issue.
So when Maria came around to her one day Talena stopped her. “Can’t you just tell him I can translate English? It’s been a century since I’ve written French!” she complained.
“My heart bleeds for you, Talena,” Maria said unsympathetically. “Thought you might like to know what it’s like to be a maid for a while rather than gallivanting over the world like Joan of Arc.”
Talena glared. “Hey, you chose to do that. And I do not gallivant!” she retorted crossly.
“Fine, I’ll do your work for you,” Maria said and snatched the papers up.
“So…you and the Count. Are you married or…” Talena asked.
“Of course not! I’m his Mistress! Well, his wife’s dead, but neither of us want to take it further for different reasons.”
“So you…” Talena asked, then stopped.
Maria rolled her eyes. “It is possible for a woman to have a heterosexual relationship, you know,” she said pointedly.
“Hey!” Talena said, a bit upset by the needling comments.
“I’m sorry, but I’ve got a job to do, and that job takes priority. And no, I’m not going to tell you what it is!”
Talena sighed. “I guess I wish I had a purpose.”
“When we get to Paris you’ll probably get one,” Maria said cryptically.
She said no more about it, and got down to work on Talena’s chores, occasionally muttering something under her breath.
Though Talena felt a bit bad she didn’t intercede and try to reclaim her work. Instead she headed outside into the fresh air.

Z35QuillInk.jpg

9/7/1533

The voyage through the Straits of Gibraltar was comfortable, and despite a minor storm off the coast of Catalonia they were soon enough sailing into the port of Toulon in the south of France.
The port surrounded by its cliffs was a lovely place. As they sailed in they raised the royal ensign, and were acknowledged by the warships and forts defending the naval base. A new and powerful fortress had recently been built to guard the military harbour, and the many cannons it possessed bristled menacingly over the calm waters.

Z34Toulon.jpg

As the ship came into port Talena saw it for the first time in many, many years. She had last been here in 1403…in the old timeline anyway…when King Louis de Foix had accepted the surrender of the town from the Duke of Provence.
As they docked the Count stepped ashore, and Talena followed slowly. She wasn’t even paying attention. It was as though that long dead king from another time and place was before her again. She looked the same, but inside she wasn’t. It took her a moment to realise just how much she had changed.
Back then it was all new to her, the regeneration, the times, the situation. She had been expecting that she’d be long gone from the 15th century within ten years, not a century and a quarter. It all came back to this place.
Surprisingly Maria was beside her and talking to her in a low voice. They’d not talked much after their last confrontation, but now she was soothing.
“It’s alright, Talena…you can do it.”
Without acknowledging her, but internally grateful, Talena walked from the jetty and followed the Count into the streets. There was a carriage waiting, and while Maria was invited inside, Talena sat on the roof. Still, this didn’t irritate her too much. It was a nice day, and the omens were good that her second time in France would be even better than her first.

So off to Renaissance France? According to the wiki article on Francis I we're arriving just after he starts persecuting the Protestants. It will be interesting to see how - if at all - Talena fits in to this.

C'est la vie!

Talena sighed."I guess I wish I had a purpose."

Poor Talena, she has been rolling around in waves for far too long, be that on a ship or not. Still, Maria has alluded to having something for Talena to do now she is in France, I look forward to finding out what that shall be.

(I am getting to the game parts soon, this is just building up to it all. It's also slightly worrying that it's taken me 15 updates to get 2 years...at this rate I'll need over 2000 chapters to reach 1820...!)

Mr Sometimes: Hey, she hasn't killed that many of them...intentionally! I mean yes, she did kill one, and yes she was present when three others died but...she hasn't made a habit of it! :p
Dewirix: Indeed, it'll be interesting to see how this history, and how Talena deals with it.
Chicken: Indeed! :D
morningSIDEr: Yes, Talena definitely wants purpose and something to do.

Chapter 15 – Brigands of the Road

3/8/1533

France was a pleasant place in late summer. The warm wind blew down upon them and even made travelling like a commoner on the roof of the coach bearable. Once during a rainstorm though she had not been impressed and had been minded to just leave and find her own way. But she stayed, and now as they passed through Limousin though things started to happen.
On a Sunday, a fine day as they passed through a forest Talena was dozing off when suddenly there was a crack. Jerking up she saw a tree fall and crash right into the road, blocking the carriage’s path.

It was no accident, for soon a half dozen men were spilling out to surround the carriage.
“Out of there, all of you! Sword on the ground, monsieur” their leader ordered. He leered at Talena and Maria. “Well, well, what have we here?”
Talena was still on the roof and scowled. “Great, not just bandits, but clichéd ones too!” she muttered.
“Get down here, you,” the leader ordered. He had a crossbow which looked as though it had probably used at Agincourt it was so old. Unfortunately it still looked effective.
Maria gave Talena a look filled with amused knowing. “My darling…duck,” she said to the Count.

Talena was tempted to do nothing. Maria expected her to spring into action and see off the bandits. She could simply leave them to it, but that wasn’t fair. She owed Maria enough to do this. Besides, it would help her standing…or make her accused of witchcraft. Either way, things would be interesting. She had her pistol…but that wasn’t something to waste. No, she had a better idea.

She jumped, clear over the heads of Maria and Reynard, hit the ground, scooped up the Count’s sword, and attacked. It hurt like hell and she fumbled the grab, but it looked impressive. And then she attacked the astonished bandits. The Count’s sword was magnificent. No cleaver of a weapon this, but a finely tuned rapier. The crude knives and weapons of the bandits were turned aside, and she set about them with her blade.
In less than a minute two were down and the rest had fled. When one had tried to return she had dramatically tossed a knife at him. It had missed, but it made him scamper.

Talena turned back to see the Count looking at her with the usual puzzled smile people wore when a mere woman had done something. It annoyed her on one level, but gave her smug satisfaction on another.
“I told you she is a woman of many talents,” Maria said, cuddling up to the Count shamelessly.
“Well…thank you,” Reynard said. “Thank you…I am in your debt. I shall not forget this!”
“Thank you, my Lord,” Talena said, preening a bit.
“Now…the tree?” he asked.
Talena sighed. “Lord, I can use a sword, but I can’t lift a tree by myself. We’ll have to go back to Clauseé and take the road from there.”

Z43Outlaw.jpg

When they were alone Maria smirked. “You enjoyed that rather too much.”
“I didn’t see you help out.”
“Talena…if you couldn’t handle a few brigands you wouldn’t be the woman I knew.”
“How reassuring. But you get the next lot, OK?”
“As you wish.”

Very nicely done. Good to see Talena showing her great combat skill once again. Quite shocking she is unable to lift a tree out of the way single-handedly though!

Now really Talena, can't even lift away a tree? Pfft, girls can't do anything!

Good update as always, I hope for Talena's that this was a little taste of her purpose, I can't imagine her staying in spot for a longer time if she can't have a sword fight or two before breakfast (unless she's in a Buddhist temple of course)