• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Inquisition chasing her? Why do I think she may end up in England.

lol, why do I run into that joke all the time for the last three months? I never ran into it before that and the sketch is how old, 30 years? 50?

Anyway, it still fits here. :D So at least the Countess is asking the questions I would have asked in first place. The priest however is quiet nice, he solves the loyality problem he seems to have had by warning her about what he will do. I'd say that if he really wants her imprisoned he wouldn't have done that.

And yes, I never liked Lucy. :p

Sad about the priest, i sorta liked him.

Just doing his job...nothing to see here, no lady with crazy skills from the future, nope.
Time to jump ship...close to land of course, but time to jump ship. After subjecting
Maria to...what I would euphemistically call a "rigourous interrogation".

GreatAAR! Can't stop reading it.
However, when I saw the chapter 10 title I kind of expected the apparition of someone from Paradox staff :D
...maybe it's the mysterious organisation true face?

Good stuff. Things should be interesting when the ship docks anyway. As for Alava;

"And you are what they would deem abnormal, heretical and worse. I will not accuse you, but I must seek guidance from my superiors."

To be fair to him, Talena clearly is abnormal and quite possibly a heretic, but in a good way (if such words can be used in a good way...).

Aliasing/Fire and Ash: LOL! Glad you got that. I loved those sketches.
4th Dimension: Well, it was either England or France. It'll be one of them, for sure. But England in this timeline remains Catholic...which will be interesting.
poloport: Very true!
Sather: She is indeed. It's just that her husband is more prudent and sensible. The last thing you want to do is annoy someone who you have no easy way to get rid of! :p And poor Lucy...no love for the French blonde. :p
Boris: Yay! Glad you liked him.
blsteen: Smart moves all around. Though as we know Talena doesn't always do the smart thing!
Raistxl: Glad to have you reading! :) And maybe it's a secret coded message trying to get past the Paradox world police! ...Damn, now they're onto me!
morningSIDEr: An excellent point. He's only doing what is sensible.

Chapter 12 – Accusations

20/6/1533

Cadiz was an experience to enter by sea. The long sandbar dotted with the city, cathedral and forts were impressive. As the ship came around the bar and into the port itself Talena could see the warships and merchant vessels hidden from the elements in the sheltered bay.
As the ship came in alongside the quay a small detachment of soldiers led by an official approached. Talena was naturally suspicious that somehow word had reached ahead and they were waiting for her!

Z28MapCadiz.jpg

Isabella was clearly impatient to disembark, more so than the others. She avoided Talena of course, and practically dragged Rodrigo off the ship and over to where the guards were standing.
“I guess I should have dived overboard,” Talena muttered.
“It might have helped,” Maria said with a small smile. “But you’ll see that it’s important you didn’t. Go to the ship over yonder.”
“Wait…what?” Talena asked. Maria though was gone! She didn’t have much time to think about this though as Isabella was pointing at her and talking animatedly with the guards. She approached to hear the conversation better.
“She is a temptress! She is a heretic and a witch!”
“Isabella, please, she is not-“ Rodrigo tried to interject with his hysterical fiancée.
“You see! She has cast a glamour over the Count! She must be taken and questioned to see what evil it is she has in her!”
“Calm please, Lord, Lady,” the guard captain said. “Her ladyship is correct. These accusations are serious, and must be dealt with properly. Until she can be questioned she is to be taken to the prison.” The Captain pointed. “Take her.”
Talena glared and drew her sword. She was not going to be taken prisoner again…she wasn’t! Even she remembered the reputation of the Spanish Inquisition and the thought of being burned at the stake didn’t really appeal to her much!
The soldiers boarded the ship, their long halberds lowered. “Drop the sword, woman, or else.”
Talena laughed bitterly. “Or else what?”
“Talena, please!” Rodrigo called to her.
“No, Count. I am not going to be anyone’s pawn again!” She looked at Isabella. “And you…you and I are going to have words one day.”

Z27Cadiz.jpg

While she’d been talking one of the guards had tried to get around and flank her, but Talena knew how to fight now. When she’d first arrived in France so long ago she’d known just enough to fend off an attacker, but experience had made her deadly. Far more deadly than anyone there had guessed.
The halberdier thrust at her, trying to drive her back. Instead Talena charged forward, using her sword to knock the pole arm aside, and then punch the soldier in the face. Once you got past the point it was all too easy, but she didn’t kill him.
Instead Talena ran to the side of the ship and jumped.

Hitting the water knocked her breath out of her, and she lost the sword in the chop, but she kept swimming, passed under an anchor line and was in clear water heading for the shore.
Crossbow bolts hissed around her, but she paid them no heed. It’d be the guards alerting their comrades that was the real threat. Still, she set out towards the ship that Maria had indicated. She couldn’t see the flag, but it appeared to be a merchant. Thinking that at the least she could sneak aboard when it left port, Talena dived under the water and came up under the pier.
There were shouts nearby, but nothing too close, so Talena pulled herself out of the water and strode up the gangplank. The ship indeed appeared to be deserted, so she headed to the rear cabins to find some clothes that might fit to replace her sodden outfit.

Z29ShipAtPort.jpg

It was as she was rifling through a chest that the door behind her opened and Talena turned to see Maria enter. Yet not only was this Maria dressed completely differently, it was patently impossible that she could have gotten from the Joanna to this ship so quickly. Something very, very odd was going on!

Attacking someone on foot with a halberd is always a losing proposition. Attacking Talena only shortens the fight. The "getting past the point" comment reminds me of Sharpe again, but as I recall the person who said that (about lancers) didn't last long.

Attacking someone on foot with a halberd is always a losing proposition. Attacking Talena only shortens the fight. The "getting past the point" comment reminds me of Sharpe again, but as I recall the person who said that (about lancers) didn't last long.
All weapons have good and bad "points"

A very good action sequance. As for Maria, Talena has her immortality, I assume Maria has some powers of her own.

Aliasing: Haha, it would indeed be even worse! :p
Fire and Ash: That would be terrible indeed.
Chicken: Oh dear...I hope not!
Dewirix: I am an avid Sharpe reader as you can tell. Poor Rossendale didn't deserve what happened. But yes, individual halberds against someone on foot is a bad idea. They're more of an intimidation weapon.
Sather: Thanks!
blsteen: Oh ha ha. :p
4th Dimension: You're close...in a broad sense.
morningSIDEr: Yes, Maria has her own abilities, as you shall one day see!

Chapter 13 – A Paradoxical Rescue

20/6/1533

“Who are you?” Maria demanded, drawing a knife from her sleeve.
“Maria? How the hell did you get here? And why did you want me to come here and then threaten me because I don’t take threats kindly!”
Maria just blinked for a moment, and then she seemed animated. “Just…for the moment assume I don’t know you. Who are you?” she asked.
“I’m Talena! We’ve spent the last year together! God, I’d have thought that you giving me the whole time travel spiel would have stuck in your mind.”
Now Maria seemed to understand. “Talena Mazari? Of course, of course! Apologies if this is confusing, but I haven’t met you yet.”
“What?”
Maria seemed frustrated. “Time travel, Talena. It’s obvious that I went back after now to meet you, from your perspective the first time. Look, whatever. We don’t have much time. Give me that dress there.”
Bemused, Talena handed it over. It looked very similar to the one Maria had worn. Very, very similar indeed.
Maria quickly changed. “So when and where did you arrive?”
In a sort of obscure way Talena was almost tempted to lie and see what would happen. However, she decided to tell the truth. “California, early 1532. Count Sanchez of Albura finds me.”
“Fine. See you soon.”

With that Maria turned and left, walking outside and down onto the quay. In moments she was lost in the crowds.
Talena returned to her task of getting new clothes and soon had found something in green and blue that was comfortable. Now all she had to do was wait until the crew came back. She could pay for passage. Looking around she saw that the flag was that of France. Back to the beginning, she thought.

The door to the cabin opened and Maria entered, a bit breathless. It was then that Talena realised she was wearing the dress she’d just given her, but it was also the one she’d been wearing on and off for a year.
“I hate time travel,” Talena said aloud.
“Just you be glad about it or else you’d have been wandering the deserts of California for 20 years! Now, there was one last thing…oh yes. Here.”
To Talena’s amazement she produced a pistol…her pistol. The impossible weapon gleamed as Maria held it out handle first, barrel aiming at herself. Talena took the weapon and stowed it.
“How-“ Talena begun.
“Don’t ask but I didn’t steal it from her,” Maria said, referring to Lucille.
“Okay…so what now?”
Maria arranged the dress her younger self had just worn, and looked over at Talena. “This ship belongs to the Count of Blois, and he will be back soon. I’ll have him put you under his protection, and we just sail out of the port to France.”
“Won’t the Spanish want to look aboard here for me?”
“They wouldn’t dare insult a member of the King’s family,” Maria said smugly. “King François is not on good terms with the Hapsburgs, and Carlos has too many other distractions.”

Z30Maria.jpg

There was the sound of feet, and a half dozen men stepped aboard the ship. These were not Spanish, but Frenchmen dressed in the uniform of the Count. At their head was a tall man in flamboyant clothes and dress. He approached Maria and kissed her. Then he saw Talena.
“Maria, you did not say we would be having company!” he said, not unhappy.
She flashed Talena a look. “Apologies, my Lord. This is Talena Mazari, a woman who I met before. Now though she is rather out of favour with the Spanish crown, and she came to me for help. Talena, this is my Lord Count Reynard of Blois.”
Talena could only be awed by Maria’s ease from which she switched from maid to lady literally in moments.
She curtseyed. “A pleasure, Lord,” she said. She’d put up with flattering if it got her out of Cadiz unburnt.
“Has she indeed?” Reynard eyed her appreciatively. “Well I think I can make room for one more. You can read, yes?”
“Yes, Lord,” Talena said meekly.
“Excellent. My dear, your friend is welcome to stay. The crew is returning and we sail today! Take her down and hide her until we’ve left port. We don’t want her causing an incident…yet!”
And so the orders were given, and Talena watched from a gunport as the Joanna and the city of Cadiz dropped away behind them. There was unresolved business there, but for now she was just glad to be leaving!

Z32Duellist.jpg