• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Aaah he is trying to turn Talena into a religious nutjob, run girl run.

Like the chapter again, after a second thought it feels very realistic for her to talk with a random person about what happened. This isn't something you keep quiet about. For the priest to stay that calm he obviously knows something already....or he thinks she is insane. :D

Good updates, although I feel Talena had best tread very carefully, as many of her new companions seem to be acting very suspiciously indeed, especially the Countess. Now that the ship has docked, perhaps it would be best to get herself away from them all.

This seems like Cat and Mouse somehow combined with Back to the Future. It's almost like someone arrived at this second timeline before Talena did (or was there in the first place) and has been waiting for her for some time. That could be a good thing, or it could be a trap. Only time will tell.

Aliasing: Not yet, but yes...nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
blsteen: Smart idea...but we never said Talena was perceptive. :p
Sather: Personally I think it's the latter, but yeah. When you have no one to talk to you will talk to anyone...no matter the consequences.
Boris: Thanks! :D
morningSIDEr: Agreed. They're all a little strange for different reasons. I wonder what each of their motives are?
Chicken: No comment! ;)

Thanks for the reviews. Now, to the future. Valois France or Tudor England? It's turned out so that I could either have a potentially victorious France or a remaining Catholic England.
Views on which option I should take? :)

Chapter 5 – The Call to Arms

21/5/1532

Acapulco was in its first years of existence in 1532. The famous wharves and buildings were not completed yet, so there was basically only a small amount of structures under the gaze of a stone fort. As the ship sailed into the bay it was greeted with cheers from a few people on the shore.
As they disembarked Talena became aware that something else was going on. The unpaved main street was rutted, and the close, humid heat was everywhere. In the main square near the fort was a man in armour with a Spanish flag. He had several servants carrying bags with him.
“What’s going on?” Talena asked Rodrigo.
“I am not sure. Wait here.” He sounded suspicious as he headed up the road with several of the sailors and soldiers with him.
Talena took shelter under a wooden awning with Isabella, Maria and Alava the priest.
“Hardly the grandest place around,” Isabella commented.
“It has grown since we left,” Alava commented.
Talena leaned against a wall and moodily looked out at the haze at the distant jungle. She’d spent the last few days mainly avoiding the others and sticking close to her room. Now she was off the ship she didn’t intend that to change. The problem was of course that she was stuck in Mexico with no money, knowing no-one outside of the crew, and unsure what to do.
Isabella walked over to her. “Have you considered what you’re going to do now that we’ve landed here?”
“I’m not sure. I guess I should try and find a way to get a ship back to Europe.”
“You don’t have any family here? You didn’t mention them as being on your ship that sunk. In fact, you never even told us about which ship it was.” She looked suspicious, but more than that she looked amused.
Talena looked at her, sizing her up. “It was not a ship you would know,” she said with perfect honesty.
“I’m sure it wasn’t. I am tempted to ask…” Isabella begun.
Maria again chose the perfect time to interrupt. “My Lady, the Count is calling for you.”
Isabella gave Talena a dirty look and marched off down the street, the others following her.

Z21RenDress.jpg

When they reached the armoured horseman they could see a dozen other armed men clustered in the shade around the square.
“My dear, this is Captain Hernando De Soto, and he brings orders from the Captain-General of New Spain. The lands to the south are to be conquered and brought under the rule of his Majesty. An expedition has been commissioned, and our ship is to be involved. Is that right, Captain?”
De Soto nodded his head. “It is, Count. We leave as soon as your supplies are refitted for the lands of Peru.” De Soto stood in his stirrups and called out to those civilians who had clustered around. “I have here a commission to enlist any man who can fight. The rewards will be great, but this expedition is sanctioned by the King himself!”

Z14Conquistador.jpg

While several of the men were signed up Talena was left on her own for a moment. She was confronted with what to do with herself. One hundred and thirty years of alternate history was a big barrier to remembering what the ‘real’ past had been. Yet she had no reason to assume that history would not now change if she became involved. But would she become involved…could she?
And of course the ‘real history’ ended with Spain conquering Central and South America. She knew this, and the mention of Peru and the date brought back the vaguest memories. But what would happen she simply could not remember. For her, the history of what had happened 1200 years before her birth was simply not a common occurrence.
Into this confusion and gloom Rodrigo appeared. “Talena, you heard what the Captain was saying?”
“I heard. So you’re off to fight in Peru?”
“Yes. It will be a great honour for me. Naturally my fiancée will have to remain at Tumbes once we reach Peru. I hope that you will stay with her, at least until I can return.”
Talena looked at him, then shook her head. “No, I want to come with you.”
“War is no place for a lady,” Rodrigo said sternly.
“Merely because you’ve never seen a lady who can fight,” Talena retorted.
That got an amused, condescending smile. “And you figure yourself an Amazon warrior?”
“I figure that I could beat anyone who tried,” she declared rather rashly. She was not in a good mood, and being condescended to did not improve her temper.
“I’m sure you think you could,” Rodrigo said. “But come, Talena…go with me to the port of Tumbes. From there you will be close to the action, yes?”
Talena knew that he didn’t believe her, but at least he was kind enough not to try and push the point. It also postponed any decision until she was far in the south. Of course, once she was there it’d be harder to extricate herself even further from home.
“Very well,” she said.

Z13Terico.jpg

Convienient yes, but understandable. After all, it doesn't really matter who she is to them, just what she represents.

I'm not sure what that picture is of, but I guess you could be right!

I think I'll go with Valois France. Since I'm here I'll explain my rules. Historical lucky nations, discovery of sea and land zones moved up one notch to delay settlement by minor states, and everything else default.

My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father. Prepare to die.

Great Update!

So I have to ask now: She is already representing something for them? Allthough they know literally nothing about her?
A women they found nearly naked on a beach? I am sorry, but did I miss an update?

I am being a pest I know, but I just had to ask. ;)

So I have to ask now: She is already representing something for them? Allthough they know literally nothing about her?
A women they found nearly naked on a beach? I am sorry, but did I miss an update?

I am being a pest I know, but I just had to ask. ;)

Heh, no probs.

Look at it this way; what were they to do? At least one of them is a plane shifter themselves, while the others are more or less normal. Their options would be to leave her there or take her with them. Thus, she represents something of an emotional conundrum for them.
Also, the ingrained sexism of the time works to her advantage - women are by definition harmless to most people at this time. Had she been male this is one time when it would have been worse since they might have been suspected of desertion or piracy, but women at this time were viewed in very definite ways.

Of course, it will later become a problem...but we'll get there in time!

For now, a reply will be up later today. :)

Thanks for the comments all, especially Sather. I like constructive criticism, even if it makes me look dumb. :p

Dragsterz: Thanks, and welcome aboard! Talena hates the sea too, she'd fit right into your AAR. :p

Chapter 6 – The Ruined City

20/6/1532

Talena had seen many things in her prolonged life. Though it was a distant, fading memory she could remember outer space, the majesty of Earth from above. In her travels through the past she had seen the great natural and man-made sights of the world. However there was something about this place that got to her.
As soon as she gratefully stepped off the boat she was confronted by the hills in the distance. The land sloped up sharply, and the ruins of settlements could be seen all around. A small European camp had been established near the water’s edge, and the Spanish flag flew over it.
At first she assumed that most of the supposed Spanish invasion force must be away, but soon she realised that this was not the case. It seemed that the Spanish were prepared to try and invade all Peru with less then two hundred soldiers. It was madness…surely.

4MexicotoTumbes1532.jpg

“Hernando! Praise God you are here!” A man was approaching, dressed in armour and possessed of a full beard.
“Francisco! I am here, but what of the city?”
“Destroyed. The heathen savages wrecked the place. Still, it is not all bad. Come, see this!” He produced from his valise a triad of sparkling green gems.
“By the saints, are they…?” De Soto asked.
“Emeralds, yes. And this is just the start. Did you bring the provisions, the men?”
“As you requested. Count Sanchez providentially arrived to add his ship to mine. Count, this is Captain-General Francisco Pizarro. He is, by the wisdom of his Majesty, Viceroy of all Peru, and leader of our expedition.”
“An honour, Captain-General. My fiancée Lady Isabella.”
“Charmed. Though I am sorry to say that the quarters I had promised are destroyed. You must either return north or come with us.”
Rodrigo naturally looked concerned at this. “I will need to think of this, Lord.”
“There is no rush. We are not departing yet.”

Z16IncaCity.jpg

With that the leaders departed, discussing tactics and the like.
“Well it seems we might be going north again,” Isabella said, coming to stand beside her.
“You might be, but I’m not,” Talena stated.
“A warrior as well as a mystery?” Isabella asked in pretended awe.
Talena had had enough. “Yes, damn it! It’s not my fault that every other woman is happily content to remain as slaves to men!”
Her outburst had drawn some amused looked. Maria looked away quickly. Isabella looked affronted though.
“It is not slavery. You have no conception of what you are saying. Who do you think you are, the Maid of Orleans? Women are not fit to be soldiers. The Bible and the laws of nature tell us that we provide the moral strength.”
“That’s only because they have told you that. Don’t you see? You only believe that because that’s what you’ve been told.”
“It’s the truth,” Isabella said icily. She strode past Talena and vanished into the throng. Maria followed, giving Talena an amused look as she followed her Mistress.

A few hours later after Talena had taken up residence in a shattered house Rodrigo strolled in. “We leave tomorrow with all our forces. As I said back in Mexico, I want you to go with my fiancée and stay with her.”
“I’m coming with you,” Talena stated baldly.
Rodrigo seemed to lose his patience. “You will do as you are told!”
“No I won’t!” Talena said grimly, stepping forward. Such was the look in her eyes that he stepped back.
“I cannot allow a woman to come with the expedition. That is final.”
“Then I won’t go as a woman. Give me a sword and some proper clothes. If you don’t I will find them myself and follow you.”
“You are in no position to make demands. I could have you arrested!” Rodrigo said.
“Then do it, Count,” Talena retorted. “If you’re so secure in your masculine superiority then do what you must.”
Rodrigo instead sighed. “Why must you make this so difficult? You truly are an unusual woman.”
“Then do as I ask and I won’t get in your way again,” Talena said quickly.
“Fine…just fine. But you better keep up, and I expect you to keep this secret.”
Talena gave him an innocent smile. “Of course!”

Z17FemaleKnight.jpg

I loved this chapter, I also like the little bit of extra attitude at the ending.

Hmmm, if thing's go sour with Clark and Poland, maybe Talena can come save the day! :rofl:

Well, I hate to say it sometimes, but I am a born critic. Not very creative myself, but able to see mistakes others make.
At least I am also able to make it a constructive criticism most of the time. :D This time, thanks for the explanation, I'd say you have a point here. Modern fiction to often puts women on the same stage regardless of the time to get female readers/viewers, so I tend to forget this.

Nothing to coment on the new chapter though, nice read and now on to slaughter some Incas. :D

Next you'll be telling us she's hearing thigs that call themselves god and force her to create a continent spanning nation based on worshiping her.