• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The suspense builds...nice touch on how cade was reintroduced. The flashback paid off...good timing.

Just what every good tale needs; a despicable villain. Cade seems a worthy foe for Talena and I'd imagine Channing will prove to be a real threat as well. Who the main boss is though, I'm intrigued to find out.

Boris: Thanks! Yes, moving into the first big story arc.
Beowulf: I hope it'll be interesting! :)
Range: Thanks! It was originally going to happen after this post, but it didn't fit. I think it was a good idea to put the flashback where it was.
morningSIDEr: Yes, a worthy foe is always the best sort! This way she'll have three of them!
AdamClason: Very perceptive...and very close! ;)

INTERMISSION

XXX

13/9/1507

The vessel was massive. Even Talena was impressed, and she was not in much of a mood to feel kindly towards anything. After leaving the monastery Cade had commandeered a wagon and she had been securely tied to it in the week since. Cade clearly took her seriously as a threat, but otherwise didn’t seem to feel any animosity towards her. As the huge Ming ship sat in port she noticed her was nearby and called to him.
“Yes, Captain?” he asked with a slight smile.
“I don’t get what you’re trying to do. I don’t even know who you are. I don’t understand why you even captured me. It’s not like I sent you back here.”
Cade nodded. “Quite right, you didn’t. But you’re dangerous. We’ve known all about you ever since you left Persia. In my job it doesn’t do to leave potential dangers roaming around. You’d have found out something eventually, and we couldn’t allow that.”
“Were these really necessary though?” Talena asked, nodding to the chains connecting her ankles. “You could have just asked me.”
“I’m not a fool, Talena. You’re a very skilled soldier, and the last century has only enhanced that, I’m sure. I’m taking no chances.”
Talena couldn’t fault that reasoning. “But you didn’t answer my other question; who are you?”
“Cyrus Cade, I was a businessman of some renown, with my main base being in orbit over Triton. But I had business concerns on all the planets and settlements.”
“You’re a mob boss in other words,” Talena said bluntly. “Yes, I vaguely remember hearing about you now. What were you doing on that station with Channing?”
“Business interests. He couldn’t find an investor, so I was willing to put a stake in. I was there to check my investment.”
“What would you want a time machine for?”
“Running a betting scam?” Cade asked with a smirk. “But nah, I didn’t realise it was a time machine. I don’t think Channing realised either until he’d hit the button. I thought it was a teleporter, a proper one, but instead....”
Talena lay back and nodded. “I guess that explains it. So we’re going on the ship?”
“We are. Now, because I don’t want you to get too smart about things.” He leaned forward and grabbed her by the hair. Tied as she was, Talena still fought as well as she could, even catching him a hard kick across the face. But Cade was strong and pulled her translator out of her ear. It was disconcerting to go from understanding the chatter around to not comprehending a word.
But even stranger was Cade. Her feet had been chained together, so she’d kicked him with both, splitting his lip. Before her eyes it healed.
Cade seemed endlessly amused by her expression. “Not so unique any more, are you Talena?”
He gestured to a half dozen guards, and Talena was so surprised she didn’t even resist as she was carried bodily on board the ship.

Z152ChineseGreatShip.jpg

Good stuff. Cade may be able to heal quickly from a boot to the face, but I think a few bullets in the face would still put him down! Now if only Talena can get her handgun back. That or a large sword!

“Running a betting scam?” Cade asked with a smirk. “But nah, I didn’t realise it was a time machine. I don’t think Channing realised either until he’d hit the button. I thought it was a teleporter, a proper one, but instead....”

You see, that is why he didn't get those research council grants in the first place. :D

I'm finding it hard to keep from smiling every time I picture Talena with Tony Soprano - I'm surprised he hasn't hit on her yet.

You see, that is why he didn't get those research council grants in the first place. :D

I'm finding it hard to keep from smiling every time I picture Talena with Tony Soprano - I'm surprised he hasn't hit on her yet.

Same here, it's just something that happens. A law of physics if you will. :D

Beowulf: Yeah, this intermission was just a fill in.
The Executer: Very perceptive...as you shall see.
morningSIDEr: Yes indeed. A nice climactic battle might indeed rely on both those things!
Dewirix/Beowulf/AdamClason: Heh, I never saw the Sopranos, so I don't entirely get it. :p However, yes, it was probably just as well that Channing was a rogue. You don't want that sort of nutter in an official position!

I'm also interested at this point in getting feedback for future on the following things, which will hopefully make things more enjoyable for you and me:
- Rapidity of updates; my sig says once every two days, but it's usually once a day. Is that too often or OK?
- Plotline; Is it better to have Talena directly influencing rulers or just being caught up in events happening around her?

And once again, a big thank you to all readers, those who post and others who read. If you ever have comments, questions, complaints etc let me know publically or privately.

--------

TIANSHUN II PART 1

China found itself in dire straights in the aftermath of the war with Pegu. Despite facing an enemy far smaller than them, the Chinese armies had suffered terribly in the jungles of South-East Asia, losing men in equal part to desertion, guerrilla warfare and endemic diseases. It is said that over half those who invaded did not come back, or were so crippled they were lost to the Emperor. Considering that over one hundred thousand soldiers had been involved this was a massive blow.
Rebellions sprung up, being a mix of both angry peasants and nationalists eager to have their demands heard. However, for now at least, through vigorous levying and application of gold the Emperor’s armies were able to put down rebellions. However, for every one that was crushed another two would appear!
Tianshun himself was a studious, amicable though not especially brilliant leader. The main reason for his success was that he had the employment of several powerful ministers, who guided him from behind the scenes.

147Rebels.jpg

145RevoltRiskStart.jpg

XXX

11/11/1507

A cold wind blew down from the north, and the boat clipped between the choppy waves in a jerky fashion. The wind and spray soaked those on deck and dribbled water down between the decks and into the hold.
It was not weather and conditions that inspired enthusiasm or joy, and especially not for Talena. With chilly water dripping onto her no matter what she did she was angry, made even more so by her helplessness. For more than two months they had journeyed by ship from the Bay of Bengal, around Malaya, past Indo-China and up the coast of the Ming Empire itself. It had been a long voyage, and especially for her, chained up below decks, never allowed freedom for even a moment. Truly Cade and his mysterious boss thought she was dangerous.
And yet, he hadn’t been unkind to her, talking to her when she felt like company, giving her food and opening the hatch above to let in light and air. However, he wasn’t stupid enough to release her, and nothing Talena had done had helped her escape.

As the ship tacked into port in the cold, windy, yet sunny sky, he came down again to see her. He smiled pleasantly at her.
“We’ve almost arrived. You will be taken to see my boss, who will judge you in the name of the Emperor. Now Talena, I hope you’re not going to make this difficult.”
Talena glared at him. “You’re the one who’s kept me chained up for two months! I could have come on board as a guest.”
Cade shrugged. “I’m not a fool. You value your independence, don’t trust me, and are practically immortal. All those things make you very difficult to contain. Do I really have to get a dozen men down her to hold you down while you’re untied?”
She sighed. “I’m sick of being tied up! I’ll co-operate, I want to know who this boss of yours is anyway.”
Cade reached into a sack and pulled out a set of handcuffs. They were of strange design, looking proto-modern, and yet made with contemporary techniques.
“Did you make these in this time?” she asked.
“Not personally. Thankfully Professor Channing knows a thing or two about practical creation of objects. And after all we’ve had a century, all the resources of the east and all the manpower we’ve needed.” He held them up. “Now turn around.”
Talena sighed again and offered her right wrist so it could be unlocked from the iron ring riveted to the wooden deck. Then, without resistance she turned and let him secure her wrists behind her back.
“Thank you. Now come on, we’ve docked.”
As they disembarked, with Talena at the head and Cade behind her, they passed between a row of Chinese soldiers in perfect ranks. Each one of them carried a long musket like firearm, as well as swords by their side.
“Isn’t that a little unfair?” Talena asked.
“For the enemy, perhaps. But why fight fair?”
As a professional soldier, she acknowledged the fact with a shrug.

At last they came to a large temple set near the dock. More guards lined the path up, and at the top were a set of bronze doors which were opened.
Inside was a short corridor to a simple wooden chair under a canopy sat a man. As Talena approached the man sitting at the chair rose and stepped forward. Dressed in plain robes of grey he might have been, but there was no hiding his identity to a stunned Talena.

It was Colonel Henry Hauritz. “Well, Captain, it’s been a while. Do join me....”

Z154Hauritz.jpg

Henry Hauritz

The Colonel does not much care for the well-being of the natives.

I like the freq. of the updates, i'd rather have a lot of short updates than 1 or 2 big ones with weeks in between.
As for how Talena influences things, both I'd say. Why one or the other? Mix things up occasionally.

A good update. I wonder what Colonel has in mind, seemingly working in cahoots with Cade and Channing. If he is indeed working with them, at least Talena's enemies have obligingly gathered together, it saves her having to track them down! As for the updates themselves, the frequency of the updates and actions of Talena are very much your own prerogative. The updates have been great thus far and I'm quite sure they will continue to be regardless of your choice, I certainly have no complaints!

Razgriz: This is going to be a big part of oncoming parts of the story.
BootOnFace: Very true. He's got everything that he wants at his feet. Who's going to stop him? Oh yeah...I know someone. :p
blsteen: Yes indeed, but unfortunately they don't underestimate her!
Beowulf: That's my thoughts too. I'm trying to cover each country differently, with different focuses. We'll see how that goes!
MorningSIDEr: Thanks! :) Good point about them all being together. Yes indeed!

TIANSHUN II PART 2

XXX

11/11/1507

Talena just stared. That was the man who had briefly been her commanding officer, and he was sitting on the plain chair in the plain robes, but there was far more to it than that. Although his clothes were simple and he had no ornamentation he was a man of clear influence and power. A dozen armed guards stood nearby, as well as scribes and messengers. In short Hauritz was making a point by dressing simply when he really was the most powerful man present.
“A bit of a surprise, I can see. Thank you, Lord Cade, I do appreciate the trouble you went to.”
Cade grinned, not in tune with the formal words of his superior. “She’s been very co-operative.”
Talena couldn’t contain herself any further. “But you’re a soldier, why are you siding with him?!” she exclaimed.
Hauritz simply made a somewhat vague gesture. “There are factors you don’t realise.” Changing to what sounded like fluent Mandarin he clicked his fingers and a servant brought a chair for Talena. With her translator stolen she couldn’t understand him.
“So tell me,” Talena said, sitting on the chair, with her hands still bound behind her.
“Cyrus is my half brother, a fact I did not realise until late in my life. I was the elder, but my father died early, my mother remarried, but I was gone by that time. I wasn’t a soldier in your army for long at all; I was given an honorary commission for my services to the state. Anyway, long story short, I found he was my brother, we did some work together, and we found out about Channing. The plan was for you Captain, and your squad, to die in combat, I would officially vanish. We’d use that time to refine the machine and then sell the secrets to the highest bidder. Also useful for undetectable movements.”
“And the whole thing about betraying your nation wasn’t important?” Talena asked bitterly.
“Not really.” Hauritz shrugged. “Being a soldier was a means to an end for me. And though I was initially very displeased with being sent back in time, it had its advantages. Power and knowledge go hand in hand. I landed in the court of the Manchu Emperor, and gave him a few petty technologies to use. But then I came in contact with Cyrus in the Yamoto Emperor’s military service, and we found Channing, and came here to China. We advise the Emperors, and their success has been great.”
“And no one else?”
“You are the only other one we have encountered, Talena. What happened in the future I cannot say, but it is clear to me that we may as well make the best of the situation.”
“And now you have me, what are you going to do with me?” Talena asked.
“Do?” Hauritz asked, puzzled. “I’m not going to do anything to you. I bear no personal hatred towards you. No, I wanted you brought here because you could well be dangerous to us, and I am nothing if not cautious. Therefore you will be kept here with all the food, drink and comfort you desire. But you will not be allowed to go free.”
“For how long?” Talena asked, standing up quickly. Immortality made terms like ‘Life Imprisonment’ all the more dangerous, and literal too.
Hauritz shrugged. “Until I say otherwise.”

Talena was not going to sit by idly and surrender to such a fate. Instead, when the guards came to get her, she kicked one hard, shoved another aside, and made a run for it. However, the soldiers had obviously been prepared for her arrival, and one of them tripped her. A net fell onto her, and hands grabbed and pinned her in place.
“I figured you wouldn’t enjoy the idea much,” Hauritz commented dryly. “So I took the liberty of being ready.” He clicked his fingers and gave orders in Chinese, and Talena was literally carried away. “Perhaps in a few decades you’ll be more co-operative,” was the last thing she heard.

XXX

For some years Emperor Tianshun’s son Wanli had been somewhat estranged from his father even as a child. Now, after a lavish introduction to the court this became even more pronounced, with him moving out of the palace and into a place just outside of the capital.

148IntroduceHeir.jpg

China’s woes did not end with high taxation and a bad reputation with neighbours. Word begun to reach the palace that an unknown woman was inspiring rebellions, preaching against the Emperor’s advisors. Discontent grew so that in all parts of the land there were protests and rebellions.
However, the Emperor’s armies, numerous and well equipped, retook areas conquered and instituted brutal reprisals which did nothing to quell the outcry.

Z151ChineseSoldiers.jpg

Finally, in June of 1508 a man known as Zhou Dai, a peasant from Fujian, rose and declared war on the servants of the Emperor. Thus began the Peasants’ War, which was to ravage all of China and bring it to the brink of extermination.

150MassiveRebellions.jpg

149RevoltRisk1509.jpg

146PeasantsWar.jpg

MULTI-POST!!!!!!! (in unreal tournament style).
Well besides that little glitch, good update as usual. Can't say I'd want to be you though, a vast country like China in a peasants war right after you had half your army destroyed? Ouch.

To be fair I spawned the Peasant's War because it only naturally happens to Feudal Monarchies. Remember, I'm aiming to have fun and get a good story from this, not win and carry all before me.

And yeah, the forums were being bitchy this afternoon. It refused to tell me whether it posted or not, so I gave up. Came on an hour later and found three posts! I've delete two of them though, so no harm done.

Also of note! At this time I changed the Rebel rules so that rebels do not disband on defeat, except peasants. Just because I'm masochistic like that. :p

Things get worse and worse for poor Talena. I like the triggering of a peasants war, it seems fitting considering the hardships China suffered when fighting the mighty Pegu. Plus these rebellions will likely give Talena her chance to escape!