• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Razgriz: Indeed they do! Sadly my sliders weren't good enough to get even close to westernising, and tech took a LOOOONG time to research. I had considered cheating my tech level up...but decided against it.
blsteen: Very true! I kinda wished that I had got cannons, but against level 1 forts they aren't really necessary.
Dewirix: 15% inflation! It took the entire 40 years to work it off, pretty much. It was kind of cool though, to see it drop down to 0 by the end.
Beowulf: They go bankrupt a lot though. Small AI states accumulate money. Some of them end up with 4-5,000 gold and nothing to spend it on.
Range: Yes, I have to give the AI credit for that. It was a pretty cool border they formed.
morningSIDEr: Explosions are good! :D
Boris: Yes, it's apparently a bunker used by the old regime which got demolished so it couldn't be used as a base by rebels. I couldn't find any good pictures of a wall blowing up, so it had to do.

Thanks for all your comments guys! I'll post later today.

RAMA I PART 3

XXX

9/4/1465

Peace reigned in India. Aside from the occasional incidence of banditry or protest, there was peace. India was growing more and more wealthy, and the King was determined upon a path of greater peace and stability.

In the capital Kondavidu Talena and Amar sat beside each other. They were alone in her room, as the feast below had finished just before.
For the last two years they had been somewhat informally in a relationship, going to different places of the Kingdom together, and attending parties and the like together.
“Talena, I’ve been thinking about things...and I want you to marry me.”
Talena was caught slightly off guard by the sudden request. “Well, I mean, you’re a nice guy and all, but....” She was about to say that she wasn’t the marriage type. She knew it’d end badly; if things continued then he’d inevitably die while she stayed exactly the same! And yet...maybe it would be nice to actually settle down for a while, to actually live with someone for a while.
“Well...alright. I know it’s been a little unconventional, but I want this, yes.” She said it slowly, as if uncertain of what she actually did want. However, she smiled and took his hand. Romance had never really been a big part of her life before that point. She’d had a few relations back when she was young, but she’d dropped those after she’d become an officer in the Marines.
Amar leaned over and kissed her awkwardly. “I’ll ask father to get it all planned.”
“Later,” Talena said, moving in to kiss him as well.

XXX

Journal Entry of Talena Mazari, 12th May 1465.

Since my recorder is gone, I have turned to this method of keeping a record of my life. I am writing this in my original language, mainly so I don’t forget it, but also so that others cannot read it. That is not to say that I’m going to put anything too secret in here, but I’d prefer for my journal to be secret.
Anyway, I’m not likely to forget, but the wedding was last week. It went well enough...I still have trouble understanding the local language, and the customs were a bit weird, but I had fun. At least, I suppose I had fun. I mean, he’s a nice boy, but it feels strange. I’m still not really over being so old...and yet not affected by it.
On another note, I don’t think I can have children. I sort have known that all along, but it’s still not nice to find out. I guess I’ll have to tell him.

Peace and prosperity ruled over Vijayanagar. A general lightening of the restrictions caused some concern from the aristocracy, but over time these concerns eased. Also of note was the diplomatic way the King managed to make former enemies and rivals into friends, thus making the Kingdom secure both within and without.

104SerfsCapital.jpg

105HarvestFailure.jpg

106ImproveRelations.jpg

107CapitalCultureChange.jpg

108CultureChanges.jpg

109SliderChange.jpg

Kind of saw this one coming :)
You do seem to be getting a lot of inconvenient events there....

Marriage where one of the parties is effectively immortal seems like a recipe for disaster and having children moreso. Still, probably better than developing a god complex and losing touch with humanity completely.

Having looked back at the size of Vijayanagar's territory I'm surprised that it all falls apart so quickly when you leave. Surely a 40 year reign would be enough to core most of it, plus you said you managed inflation down to zero too. Sometimes the AI can be frustratingly bad at keeping things together.

eu3game2010-11-0221-22-16-01.jpg

That's what Vijay looks like about one century after the present spot in the RP. It's better then I remember, but still a pretty big reverse. Bear in mind that I had cored, cultured and converted all these provinces just 70 years before.

Anyway...not telling who I'm playing at this point though. My Byzantine game in progress is on the side there, note the lovely new flag I made for it?

Tell me that's not France on the mouth of the Ganges.

Did Vijayanagar lose a war and have to release? I find it hard to believe that at +3 stability and all cored/converted even the AI could lose this badly.

OK, this is my shortest ever update because literally nothing much happened in this time. It does however have the first mention about things to come....

Dewirix: Yes, marriage with an immortal is always going to be tricky. As you say, the alternative is to develop a God complex, which indeed might well happen. We shall see. As for Vijay, they went bankrupt due to massive WE caused rebellions. They had too many ships and troops, broke, and released a lot of those nations.
Beowulf: Yeah, though I actually trigger a lot of my own negative events when I get bored. :p
Boris: Yes, I tried to convey that it's actually really awkward. Talena is getting married because she thinks she should...rather then because she deeply loves him. Anyway, I don't think I did it very well, and I apologise for that. I like my later Vijay updates better.
Razgriz: Yes, it's certainly possible, even if it is interesting in contrast. And the problem is that, as shown later, it can only ever end in grief.

----------

RAMA I PART 4

Journal Entry of Talena Mazari 14/2/1469.

Well, I think he’s accepted the fact that I’m not going to ever get pregnant. Not through want of trying either! So, to pass on the family line, we’ve decided to adopt. A friend of Jagdish died at sea and left his three year old son Devarsi alone, so we’ve taken him in. Imani is filling in well. She still doesn’t want to leave, only wants to stay on with us. It’s quite gratifying really.
The other thing is that today’s my birthday. I’m one hundred years old. One hundred. I don’t know what to do. How long will I be alive? How long will it be before I start thinking its worthless going on with life? Not yet. Not just yet.

Vijayanagar prospered in the 1470s and 80s. Aside from improving foreign relations and reducing the debt and inflation in the nation, little of great importance occurred. The occasional regional war drew some attention, and Orissa revolted no less than four times, but was each time suppressed.
New infrastructure meant that the capital became a hub of trading, and while not feared throughout the world, Vijayanagar was by far the most stable power.

110RevoltOrissa.jpg

111COTCapital.jpg

112AristocratGift.jpg

113Vijay1476.jpg

114HeirandCourt.jpg

116FavourDefensive.jpg

XXX

Journal Entry of Talena Mazari 3/3/1469

Traders to the palace today bring word of China. It seems as though the old Emperor died in mysterious circumstances, and a new Emperor has ascended the throne! It seems as though court politics brought the old ruler down.
I’m not too bothered about news from that far away, but it might be useful one day. The weather as always remains hot. I’m not going to bother writing endless repetitions of the same theme. Besides, I’d run out of paper.

This AAR has actually made me think my next game might be in India, I wasn't that interested before but now I see it might be kinda fun.

Any advice you can give someone that's still only played a couple games of EU3 and wants to try India? What Indian nation should I start as, what's the fastest way to westernize, is attempting to colonize Africa or Australia plausible? etc.

Great AAR so far, I usually get bored with most AARs, but I'm hooked on this one, if it was a novel, I would buy it.

eu3game2010-11-0221-22-16-01.jpg

That's what Vijay looks like about one century after the present spot in the RP. It's better then I remember, but still a pretty big reverse. Bear in mind that I had cored, cultured and converted all these provinces just 70 years before.

Anyway...not telling who I'm playing at this point though. My Byzantine game in progress is on the side there, note the lovely new flag I made for it?

Why so many Byzantiums?

Hmm... an inabilty to get pregnant would certainly be a major disadvantage for a royal wife. Not content with killing of monarchs, Talena's now intent on bringing whole dynasties to an end. Plus I claim a prize for successfully predicting Empress of India! :D

paradigmx: Thanks for posting! :) India is actually quite fun. It's a challenge, sure, but there's great possibilities! Personally I'd go with Dehli or Vijayanagar. The former is Muslim - so you get Holy War CB, and have a better chance of westernising to Muslim quickly. On the other hand Vijay has a big navy, strong power in the south of India, but worse sliders. It really comes down to how you want to play. Vijay is less open to attacks from Central Asia, but doesn't have the same great power and flexibility of Dehli. Colonising and conquering the pagans of Africa is a good move, as is eventually pushing into SE Asia and Vietnam.
Thanks for posting! Playing the game as well as AARs can get boring once you've reached a point where the AI can't touch you. With this at least I'm always changing and never getting into an unassailable position.
Zitanier Because I make saves before major events and/or every 50 years. The copies are because I make frequent save game edits as I go, and I don't want to screw it up (as almost happened).
Dewirix: Well, technically she's not a royal wife. She's not married to anyone related to the King, but rather his Prime Minister and his son. So I guess we could class her a Princess of India.... :p

Now, because the last update was so bad, and because I'm 12 ahead, here's a better update...2 in one day! Don't get used to it. :p

-------

RAMA I PART 5

XXX

8/6/1491

The body was laid on the table. The doctors and morticians had done a good job to make him appear peaceful, but there was no disguising the metal brace holding the dead boy’s neck still. Without it, the head of Prince Achyuta had lolled disturbingly to the side now the neck was broken.
Talena watched from an upstairs gallery as the King, now middle aged, approached the pyre. The man was distraught, and he made no effort to conceal it.
“They blame it on a bird that flew up in front of his mount,” Amar said from behind her. “The horse threw him and the Prince died.”
Talena turned to her husband and nodded her understanding. “Terrible. The King is very unhappy.”
“His only son is gone,” Amar pointed out. “Now there is no clear heir unless his brother has a son.”
“Yes, of course.”
Amar’s hair was grey now, and he limped slightly, the result of a fall some years before. He was now the King’s foremost councillor and advisor. Talena of course looked the same, always the same.
“You look as beautiful as ever,” Amar said with a wry smile.
“Of course.” Talena stopped, looking at her husband. Did she love him? If she was entirely honest, she had to admit she didn’t, but she liked him a lot, and now they treated each other like friends or siblings. The age difference, and growing physical changes hadn’t helped.
“Father!” It was Devarsi, their adopted son. He looked at Talena and nodded warily before hugging Amar. He was dressed in armour and sword, as if for war.
“My son! This is a big day for you. The King has ordered you north to contain the Orissi rebels. This will be your first chance in battle! Do us proud, son.”
“I will, father.” He still ignored Talena. She was getting used to it.
Amar looked between them, and sighed, but made no comment. “Well go now. Do us proud,” he said again.
“Yes, father.” Devarsi embraced his father, and then left, not looking at Talena.
“He doesn’t mean to be rude...” Amar said once their adopted son was out of earshot.
Talena wasn’t so sure, but decided to answer differently. “I’m used to it. I’m used to the way people look at me. When the oldest person in this palace has grandparents who aren’t older then me, it makes people uncomfortable. I don’t blame them.”
Amar looked at her and nodded. “What do you want to do?”
Talena shrugged in a practical way. “Nothing, I suppose. What’s to be done? I’m not about to die any time soon. But...I do want to stay here...with you.”
“That’s good. I want you to stay too. But now, I better go see to the King. Forgive me.”

Talena walked outside. It was hot and humid as always, but this didn’t bother her much. In fact, over time she’d been less and less worried about temperature or the like. The days were blurring together too, in a way which was becoming a little worrying. Her own time was now distant, taking effort to recall, but she found that she could do so if she tried. After all, she was now older than most normal people ever got. She was ancient in years, but the aging process had never happened, so her mind and body was still as sharp as it had ever been.

Out of the corner of her eye, Talena saw something. There was a woman watching her. She stood out because she looked a lot like her; light skin, but blonde rather than dark hair. Since Talena had not seen a blonde woman in decades, she headed over towards her. Perhaps she was some foreign servant or visitor.
However, the stranger vanished quickly, and when Talena reached where the apparition had been, it was gone.
Talena shrugged and went back inside.

XXX

The death of Achyuta, the heir was a grave blow for the King. Already in his fourth decade of rule, he started to look further and further afield, becoming distant for several months. Fortunately, he had a policy of appointing wise ministers, and they kept the state running in the next years.
In this time more and more of the country was brought under proper control, and integrated fully into the Kingdom. The vassal state of Malwa was similarly absorbed into the Kingdom in the first half of the final decade of the 15th century.

In November of 1491 a new Emperor ascended to the throne of China. His name was Tianshun II, and he was considered a great ruler. His predecessor and brother had died in an accident, and he was acclaimed as ruler and lord of the Middle Kingdom. This was little appreciated in Vijayanagar at the time, but one day it would become very significant.

117HeirDies.jpg

118GainMoreCores.jpg

119AcceptingTelegu.jpg

120MalwaDiploannex.jpg

Good read...especially the mental stress that Talena is feeling due to not aging. Besides "Yemen, the Happy Arabia" I've avoided the issue. But, I'll have to make a point of the conflict and distrust it can cause (in my future AARs),

Good post...

Some very nice updates. I had to chuckle at the screenshot showing both the 'Introduce Heir!' and 'Scandal at the Court' events on the same screen. I wonder what exactly the heir did once introduced... My interest is piqued by this other blonde haired woman, I'm looking forward to seeing how she will figure into things.

I'm actually playing a Vijayanagar game now in MEIOU. Loads of fun! Delhi is absolutely monstrous in that mod's earlier start date though.
Aren't we due for a 'state of the world' update soon?

Looks like China will be looming large in future updates.

I've taken an instant dislike to Devarsi. Blanking your adoptive mother is bad enough, but considering Talena's a cannon-inventing immortal future warrior you'd think he'd show her some respect. He could learn a lot from her.

Still, she can just hang around until he gets old and then make grandad comments.