• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Truly Henri was wise to appoint Talena as his bodyguard and also free her from imprisonment. Good stuff, a nice action scene.

Mr Sometimes: She could learn a lot from Maria...but will she? That is the question!
Aliasing: You might well be right!
blsteen: Yup!
morningSIDEr: He was indeed. Henri strikes me as one of the more enlightened rulers she's met. And of course in real history it was his death that lead to so many problems later.
Boris: Why indeed? You shall find out soon.

Chapter 32 – Echoes of a Lost Time

30/5/1537

Z73Interior.jpg

An hour later Talena was sitting in a side gallery in a new dress and polishing her knife. The King himself approached, still looking a bit shaken, for he still was a young man.
“Talena, are you hurt?” he asked.
“Me? No, thank you, Sire.”
“But…you were stabbed! There was blood everywhere.” Henri looked down her back. The dress was in the way, but there was clearly no bandages.
Talena coughed. “Yes, well it’s rather complicated,” she said uncomfortably.
The King sat down beside her, looking at her. “Talena, I want you to tell me the truth. I think we both know that you are no ordinary woman. This however confirms it. Who are you…really?”
“I don’t think you’d believe me, Majesty,” Talena replied wearily.
“Please,” Henri said.
Talena let out a small laugh. “Your Majesty I am Captain Talena Mazari, Commander 1st Company 10th Federation Marines. I was or will be born in twelve hundred years and got sent back in time by accident to 1399 where I broke the timeline, causing a splinter universe to emerge for over a century. However, after almost being killed it reverted back to history, but is now deviating again. Oh, and I don’t age and instantly heal.”
To his credit King Henri just sat there, nodding slowly in utter bewilderment. Talena sighed and took her knife and pricked her finger. The wound healed almost at once.
“That…is astonishing!”
“It still hurts, Majesty,” Talena said pointedly. “Being stabbed through the lung hurts a lot, even if I do survive it.”
“What I do not understand is that if you have this gift…why are you here? Not that I am complaining, but what is your goal? You say you do not age, but what does this mean over time?”
“You know, Majesty, I often wondered what it would be like if I was a man. The conclusion I am forced to is that I would be taken a lot more seriously and even rise up to become a great leader. After all, accumulated experience makes for good leadership. But I’m not a man, I’m a woman, and thus not fit for anything so exciting. But I’ll stay here, with you, because you and your father have been kind to me. While I could sit in a monastery somewhere I want to do something…see things.”
“I understand. Thank you for telling me, Talena. Perhaps it is God’s will that you are here.”
“I am reminded of another French King I met who said the same thing. Unfortunately I can only answer the same way as I did to him; if I do than it is without me knowing.”
As Louis XI de Foix had said so long before in a lost timeline, Henri replied; “God’s will is not always revealed to us. But, you must have come here for a purpose...and that purpose is in part to aid France.”
As she had then, Talena merely nodded acceptance.

Z74HenriII.jpg

XXX

In the aftermath of the failed assassination attempt foreign policy intervened. King Henry of England had declared war on Scotland, and requested French aid to balance out the power of Denmark and the Papal States until Pope Sixtus V.

The war did not involve France overly, but at one stage a small Danish army landed supported by a fleet. Both were defeated, and the war eventually petered out in the status quo. However, as a result of this war England turned from the Pope decisively, and King Henry VIII begun instituting his reforms and control over the church and state in England.

30WarWithDenmark.jpg

31VictoryOverDenmark.jpg

34NavalVictoryDenmark.jpg

Oh what I wouldn't do for an eternally young, immortal, self-regenerating girl in my life right now...

I'm guessing a lot since they are probably really bitter.

Also Ashantai you have inspired me to write my newest AAR: (NAME CENSORED)

Don't want to advertise :D

I had enough troubles with normal girls and that also involved knifes at one point, I don't need the troubles of eternal witches :D.
Nice touch using the picture of a papal guard and next update being at war with the papal state :D.

Again nice action filled updates.

Chicken: Problem is they tend to pile up issues as they go on. Think you have issues now...think of how many you'd have after 180 years. I don't think she'd be very uplifting company! :p
Aliasing: I read the (Nameless) AAR. I liked it, though I have no idea what the game is or what you do in it.
Sather: Yeah. The problem is finding pictures for a lot of things. That happened to be my best source.
Boris: Yes. Only 2-3 provinces go Protestant, and some of the ones I conquer do as well, but I convert them quickly.
blsteen: Indeed we will!

Chapter 33 – The Ducal Conspiracy

2/6/1537

Talena was on edge, pacing relentlessly while the King and his ministers sat and waited.
“I don’t like this!” she suddenly burst out.
Some of the nobles gave her angry looks, but the King merely shrugged. “We need to know who he was working for.”
A distant scream echoed, and Talena shuddered.
“If it distresses you, my lady, then-“ Moreau begun.
“It does not distress me, I am just against torture!” Talena shot back. “But…I concede it is necessary to find out the information. He didn’t offer it up on his own, I guess.”
“And what would you do instead?” Reynard asked bluntly.
Talena said nothing.
“Majesty, is it really necessary that this…woman…be present?” the Duke of Guise asked, making no effort to disguise his hostility towards Talena.
“I happened to save his Majesty’s life a few days ago!” Talena fired back.
“I will not be addressed in such a way by you, woman!” Guise said angrily.
“Enough!” the King said, sighing. “Lady Talena is here because she has some legitimate uses. However, she would do well to remember her manners.”
Talena nodded. “My apologies, Majesty,” she said, but did not apologise to the Duke. Thus the atmosphere became even more tense in the room.

Finally the doors opened to the dungeon below, and a priest appeared, looking rather pale.
“Your Majesty…the attempted snake of an assassin has confessed.”
“Excellent. What is it he said?” Henri asked.
“He has claimed that he was paid only to assassinate her Majesty the Queen.”
That caused a stir. “Only the Queen, and not his Majesty?” Guise asked, surprised. “Is he telling the truth?”
“I believe so, Majesty. He was found in possession of a coded letter which he told us how to decipher. It claims that the Duke of Armagnac paid him to assassinate the Queen.”
“The Duke? But why?” Henri asked.
“Remember her Majesty’s story, sire? Remember the bruises on her? He must have resented her escape,” Talena said.
“If this is true, than the Duke will have much to answer for!”
“Majesty, if I might say, this is an opportunity for you…and for France,” Talena said. She had no idea why she came out with it. She really had to think before opening her mouth.
“Why do you say that?” the King asked, looking up at her.
Talena thought quickly. What HAD she meant? “Well, the territories of Armagnac are scattered throughout France. If the Duke is indeed a traitor then there is no reason you should not merely absorb the lands into the crown. Bring in proper administration and control. Extra revenue and manpower, greater resources.”
“You would propose the invasion of the King’s own lands?” Guise asked mockingly. “In case you did not realise, those lands are held vassal to the King!”
“I do realise. But since a new Duke would need to be chosen anyway…” Talena said.
Henri nodded slowly. “Yes…yes I can see that would be of advantage to us.”
“Majesty, you are seriously contemplating this plan?” Guise asked. “Forgive me for saying, but this woman is bewitching you!”
“If she is bewitching me, Duke, then tell me the alternative. My father absorbed the realm of Brittany into our Patrimony, to the benefit of us all. I think this plan has merit.”
The Duke gave Talena a look of unhidden dislike.
“And what of the guard, Majesty, the man who betrayed your cause? He claims he was paid gold to assist.”
Henri’s eyes narrowed. “You may stop the torture of the attempted assassin. If his claims are true he will be quickly executed. As for the guard…the man who betrayed me and his oath. Make an example of him…treat him as you would a regicide, then display the body in Paris so that all will know the fate of those who betray their solemn oath.”
Talena winced at that. Even the thought of it made her have very bad thoughts. She didn’t argue though, even when the screams started again. She just stood and stared intently at the wall.

Eventually the meeting broke up, and Talena headed outside.
“You are getting good, Talena,” Maria said, appearing beside her. And then she was gone with Reynard.
Talena sighed. She was getting too good at it.

XXX

With his path set, the King found proof that the botched attempt had come from the Duke, and reluctantly ordered the invasion of his own vassal. In short order the Duke’s tiny army was defeated and his lands occupied, and then fully annexed into the French state.

This action was not received well throughout Europe, and many in France were unhappy too. However, the victory was inevitable and swiftly obtained. France’s neighbours took note at this move, and were restive….

Z58Surrender.jpg

33HenriEmbarrassment.jpg

32EndVassalisationArmagnac.jpg

35WarWithArmagnac.jpg

38ArmagnacDefeated.jpg

39ArmagnacAnnexed.jpg

I can't believe this, an attack on a loyal vassal based on the forced confession from some madman and a forged letter! It's the witch I tell you, she's poising the King's mind!

Duc de Guise told me so!

Last edited:
The Armagnacs were also (historically) an alternate line of succession, so they should be crushed if Henri wishes la Gloire de la France to remain with his offspring.

And they're Protestant. (<cough>Where is the League of Lutheran Whoopass when you need them? And does this tank relations with England?)

Boris: Yes, it was rather smart of her...disturbing trend!
Aliasing: Well...you won't need to worry about him any more.
blsteen: Oh, in time I'm sure.
Mr Sometimes: He would say that. :p But really...does the King care? He gets more land and more power.
Chris Taylor: I hadn't noticed, it didn't effect them much if there was a change.

Chapter 34 – A Question of Faith

16/1/1538

“No, no. First you put it into the vinegar and wipe off the blood, and then move it to the boiling water,” Talena said. She demonstrated.
“But why?” the doctor asked, puzzled.
Talena sighed. “Look, just trust me. If you do that less of your patients will die. And especially this patient,” she added pointedly.
They both looked to the bed where the Queen of France sweated and moaned in pain.
When Talena emerged, the King was pacing restlessly. “So? What’s happening?” he asked quickly.
“She is going into labour, but it is not an easy situation. However, I have told the doctors some new ways of doing things. And if they do as I say the chances for the Queen are better.

They waited, and waited. Occasionally cries and screams came from the next room. Finally, a messenger timidly approached the King.
“What is it?” Henri snapped, his anxiety making him sharp.
“Apologies, Majesty. A message from the Pope and the Cardinal themselves. The Holy Father addressed it to you personally!”
Henri blinked and took the message, broke the seal and read the missive.
“Ah, it’s from Moreau! He says the Council of Lublin has concluded!” He seemed relieved to have his mind taken off the immense stress of his wife’s pregnancy.
“That concluded in less time than I expected,” Talena commented. “Less than three years.”
“Yes, Moreau shook them up and got them moving when he went there in the summer. Look, it outlines some of the tenements we must follow, and encourages us to prevent the spread of heresy.”
“I agree, sire. Anything diverting from the true faith causes dissent. We must push hard to ensure that the heretics do not expand out of their limited areas of influence!”
The King nodded. “I notice you are not a very religious person, Talena. Does not your immortal soul concern you?”
She laughed bitterly. “All the time, but I doubt that there’s any power that can help me.”

36CounterReformation.jpg

37EmbraceCounter-Reformation.jpg

At that moment the door to the bed chamber opened, and the midwife emerged. “Your Majesty…your son is waiting!”
Henri could not contain a smile as he pushed into the room and over to the bedside. There, in the arms of Mireille was a boy, taking his first gasps of air. And, as always with babies, crying. However, neither mother or father minded. The couple seemed genuinely affectionate despite the evident tiredness of the Queen and the anxiety of the King.
Talena smiled and left the pair to it. Politics could take a back seat for once.

Z77RoyalBaby.jpg

XXX

The heir to the throne, Charles, was a healthy baby, and soon begun to grow rapidly. The succession had been established, and the line of Valois strengthened.

40HeirCharles.jpg

Meanwhile, the King’s decision to embrace the Counter-Reformation’s push drove many French Protestants from out, or forced them underground. This decision, combined with repression isolated French Protestants to a majority in a few scattered provinces.

Z75Refugees.jpg

Z76SecretProtestants.jpg

Not long after, the Duke of Guise also died, and afterwards his family dwindled in importance.

42DeGuiseDead.jpg

I bet Talena killed him with her witch powers. Or at least she would've done that if she could.

So what's next for France, now that the succession is secured?

Profit?

Good updates. I was going to agree with those stating a dislike of the Duke of Guise but he's passed away now happily enough. Thus with the succession now secured and Talena providing the current King with good advice, I rather think the young Charles will be left with a mighty nation when he finally gains the crown.