• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Sather: It is rather creepy! I hadn't noticed it until you mentioned it.
Boris: Oh, she'll be around....
Mr Sometimes: Very observant indeed!
morningSIDEr: Very astute as well!
Aliasing: Not for a few more centuries! :p
Dewirix: Very true! It's lucky that Brittany is taken over in 1532 - before I start so I have that cored and under my control as well. The two Hapsburg realms (which fortunately are only allied in the game) are very strong, so are difficult to beat.

A brief time-out from the narrative is in order for me to explain the rules and mods I've made. These are different to the HTTT version.

- Forts have 1100 men per level, as before, to make conquest less easy.
- Prices reworked significantly. All resources (except gold) have MAJOR demand increases for certain tier 5 and 6 buildings. For exotic products like spices and ivory this is based on the trade buildings. For wheat, iron, fish and copper these are the land buildings. For salt and naval supplies these are the naval buildings. Since there will not be a huge amount of these it will make the valuable. Also, all trade buildings add moderate demand to African, Asian and American resources.
- Only forts are destroyed when a province is conquered, and level 1 is not destroyed ever.
- All rebels are resiliant, have leaders and are 'smart'.
- Leaders with 3 in any stat and who rule more than 3 provinces are bad and have severe penalties.
- Historical lucky nations is on.
- Have added the 'Gendarmes Cavalry' unit from 1495 on for western Europe. They are 0/0 2/2 2/2 cavalry.

UPDATE:
- Decentralisation reduces stability costs by 5% each step of the way. Revolt risk decreased by 0.5 each step also. Centralised does not do the opposite of this.
- Persia is an absolute monarchy (replacing the rather bizarre Theocracy choice), Ethiopia is a despotic monarchy now with Russian tech tree.
- Played around with the names of monarchs for France and England/Great Britain, mainly to add in more names and also add some more female names in too. I do love Queens even if EU3 doesn't! If you want to see my updated lists let me know. :)
- First tier of all buildings except forts do NOT cost magistrates. This seems only fair to me.

We start at tech level 18.

Last edited:
Thanks, I might do so.

I've updated a few new things I remembered too.

Intriguing changes. I certainly understand the reasoning behind most of the changes, they look very good but the severe penalties for a leader with any stat below 3 seems a bit iffy. Even if the leader is a 9/9/3 for example would he still suffer? That seems a bit strange. Still, it should make things more interesting!

Intriguing changes. I certainly understand the reasoning behind most of the changes, they look very good but the severe penalties for a leader with any stat below 3 seems a bit iffy. Even if the leader is a 9/9/3 for example would he still suffer? That seems a bit strange. Still, it should make things more interesting!

If I correctly recall the discussion on this a while back the penalties are modelled on (but not exactly the same as) the ones for unfit tribal leaders, so a 3 in military will give military penalties, but leave admin- and diplo-related areas relatively untouched. A 3/3/3 leader on the other hand would have severe penalties to just about everything.

If I correctly recall the discussion on this a while back the penalties are modelled on (but not exactly the same as) the ones for unfit tribal leaders, so a 3 in military will give military penalties, but leave admin- and diplo-related areas relatively untouched. A 3/3/3 leader on the other hand would have severe penalties to just about everything.

ah I see, then it seems reasonable, thank you for clearing that up. Unfortunately I can barely remember what I have done yesterday nevermind discussions regarding these changes from a while back!

OK, so these are the penalties.

ADM 3 = -20% tax and 10% more expensive stability.
DIP 3 = -10 infamy limit and +2 global revolt risk.
MIL 3 = -0.5 morale, -1% prestige and -10% global manpower.

Oh, and one more big thing; Steppe Horde removed from almost all of the Asian ones except the Golden Horde and a couple of their successors. Instead the North American tribes (Shawnee, Creek, Huron etc) are steppe hordes to represent how much harder it was to take territory from them. This doesn't effect the central and south American nations.

OK, so these are the penalties.

ADM 3 = -20% tax and 10% more expensive stability.
DIP 3 = -10 infamy limit and +2 global revolt risk.
MIL 3 = -0.5 morale, -1% prestige and -10% global manpower.

Oh, and one more big thing; Steppe Horde removed from almost all of the Asian ones except the Golden Horde and a couple of their successors. Instead the North American tribes (Shawnee, Creek, Huron etc) are steppe hordes to represent how much harder it was to take territory from them. This doesn't effect the central and south American nations.

Thank you, that all makes perfect sense. The changes as a whole seem very reasonable and I can see that they have the potential to spice things up slightly, which is always a good thing!

Sounds reasonable. Did you remove the colonist bonus for horde neighbours? It might be a little unbalanced to give the early arrivals in North America a boost by handing out extra colonists when they first make landfall.

Dewirix: No, because it is offset by the way hordes seize colonies. So the only real way to defeat hordes is to colonise and have troops there to protect against native incursions. It actually works quite well.
morningSIDEr: Thanks!

Chapter 18 – The Boy Who Would Be King

8/4/1534

Rarely had Talena seen such a rapid military build up. All across France the King’s agents had been dispatched with orders to acquire provisions, to raise forces, to organise them. This was to be an army the like of which France had never seen. The pain of François’ defeat at Pavia almost ten years before still stung, and he would have revenge. Naturally the local lords were unhappy with this and it meant that their control was being lost to the crown.

Z39GoldCoin.jpg

Z46FrenchSoldiers.jpg

However, it was in April that bad news came to the court of the King. Talena had been in the gardens when she saw the procession. Priests and nobles, all solemn, were carrying a body on a bier towards the King’s chapel.
She headed over towards it to find out what happened. Unfortunately there was someone already there; the King’s mistress Anne de Pisseleu d'Heilly, a woman of considerable intelligence and even more jealousy. The King’s marriage to an Austrian princess was loveless, so his mistress was his romantic outlet. She naturally viewed Talena as a rival, and mainly ignored her except when she could scorn her.
“Oh it’s you,” Anne said dismissively.
“It’s me,” Talena said.
“I am a Duchess, you know!” Anne stated.
“I don’t care if you are Empress of the Turks,” Talena growled. “Now, what’s happening?”
Anne was a sensible woman, and knew that Talena would not play games with her. “His Majesty’s son has died. A terrible tragedy. His Majesty is quite upset.”
Talena looked sideways at her. “And I’m sure that you’ll help recover,” she said sourly.
Anne looked offended and stormed off.

Talena was alone for a while longer until she heard footsteps. A young man was approaching. He looked upset, yet was trying to compose himself. Instantly Talena knew this was the heir to the throne, the now eldest son of the King, Henri.
“Lord,” Talena said, bowing slightly.
The boy hadn’t even really seen her there, and took a step back.
“Oh, apologies,” he said. He looked absurdly young, fifteen or sixteen at most. “My father mentioned you. You are Lady Mazari, yes?”
“Yes, Lord. And my condolences on the news of your brother.”
He looked grave and serious. “Thank you, Lady. I hope that I can live up to his legacy,” Henri said piously.
“I’m sure you will. And remember, if you have anything you need, ask me.” It was a genuine offer, though she wasn’t sure why she made it.
“Thank you, Lady.”

Z45YoungHenri.jpg

“Henri!” A tall, red robed man was approaching. He was a cardinal, an older man of considerable authority. “Come, Henri, it is time for your lessons,” he said, not unkindly.
“Thank you…I’ll see you again some time,” Henri told Talena as he hurried off.
The Cardinal stayed behind to talk, and Talena expected a lecture of some sort. Instead the churchman nodded to her. “The Prince was understandably upset.” He paused. “I hope I can confide in you a matter of some secrecy.”
“I am discrete, your Eminence,” Talena assured him.
“Good. I believe I am not wrong in saying that these legions His Majesty is raising will soon be used. I would like you to watch over the Prince, ensure no harm comes to him. His Majesty the King clearly trusts you enough to be around himself and his family, so I ask this of you. Protect his Majesty and the Princess Catherine.”
Somewhat surprised, Talena nodded her head. “Of course, I’ll do what I can.”
“Thank you. I am Cardinal Moreau, and I will be in contact with you soon.”

Talena was left alone. At least she now had something to do!

Z47Cardinal.jpg

Never trust a cardinal, Talena better find two other female warriors so that she'll have better odds if he turns side and she has to fight his red-clad private army.

It will be interesting to see how many times Talena can save the Prince's ass before she leaves France.

An interesting development. It is good to see that the King has taken Talena into his confidence, even if this has created some rivalries, Henri will certainly benefit from having Talena as his seeming aide-de-camp.

Boris: Let me count the possibilities!
poloport: Maybe...but oddly probably not. It's weird. You get a sense for characters, and though it might seem a good point I found it hard to write the character doing it.
Mr Sometimes: The three sexy musketeers? I think there's a movie in that somewhere! ;)
Sather: That's one minor problem. :p Besides, Henri is only 16 or so at this point!
Aliasing: I didn't think so either, but the truth may surprise you.
morningSIDEr: He shall!

Thanks for your comments as always. :)

Chapter 19 – Best Laid Plans

31/7/1534

The sound of clashing steel filled the gardens of Fontainebleau. Prince Henri’s blade wove a frantic, desperate dance as he strove against his opponent. Finally, he extended too much and his blade was knocked aside. His opponent bowed and removed their fencing helmet.
“Well done, my Prince!” Talena said with a grin.
“Thank you, Lady…though you beat me in the end!”
“I’ve had a few more years to do this than you, Lord,” Talena said tactfully.
Henri sheathed his sword, panting a bit. Talena had informally taken over training the young dauphin in sword fighting and languages after his previous tutor had died. For his part François was pleased, and seemed to have no objections. However, there were plenty to object on his behalf.

As the Prince went to the midday meal Talena returned to the storeroom attached to the palace. Sure enough she was being watched by both Anne and Henri’s young wife Catherine de Medici. The pair had married at only fourteen, and were absurdly young.
If looks could kill, Talena would be dead as a stone by now. She gave them a cheery wave just to annoy them.

As she headed inside, still wearing her trousers and shirt, both men’s clothing, when she suddenly came face to face with someone most unexpected; Count Rodrigo!
“Talena?” he asked, amazed.
“Rodrigo? What are you doing here?”
“I am with the ambassador. He was summoned here by your King, but I don’t know why.” He appreciated her for a moment. “You seem to be doing well.”
“It’s a long way from Peru,” Talena said pointedly.
“Yes…look I would like to apologise for what happened.”
Talena shook her head. “It’s a nice thought, but I’d have hoped you would have stopped people you know, trying to burn me for witchcraft!”
Rodrigo bowed his head. “I am sorry, Talena. I hope that we meet again, and that I can repay you for what you did for me.”
“I hope so as well,” Talena said dourly.
The Count left, and Talena watched him go for a moment before retiring to her room.

XXX

Through the year 1534 the King continued to gather a great army. He did not rush into the conflict, but instead made sure he was prepared. To this end he took time to consult records so that when war came he would have a legitimate reason for war, also communicating with the English King to ensure that a joint campaign could begin in 1535.
Finally, all was prepared. Two large armies would be used; the King would himself lead the army into the Netherlands and link up with the English. Once this area was pacified he would return south. Meanwhile the Duke of Guise would stay in the south and defend against incursions from Spain.
However, best laid plans often went astray, and the hopes for a quick war would soon be brutally dashed.

Z53Battle.jpg

13WarWithHapsburgs.jpg

I wonder if Catherine and Anne would be less hostile towards Talena if they knew she was a few hundred years older than them. Probably not.

This war is going to become exciting, is Austria the HRE? Because then I could understand that the upcoming war is gonna be annoying. Of course the most obvious reason has got to be an Aztec marine operation.