• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
When do you expect the Europeans to show up? After all they have also started in 1356...

I don't have enough experience of this mod in this region for a very good guess, but a bit later than vanilla in my limited experience. Sure, they started in 1356 but that doesn't automatically mean earlier exploration as the rules aren't the same.

Update in a sec!

Chapter Nine
1384-1388

Our new mission is to let manpower reserves recover.

11_01.jpg

Somehow, I expect this one to fail. With no manpower and damaged stacks, it's highly unlikely that I'll reach 90 % manpower before I'm ready for war again BB-wise.

Speaking of infamy reduction, construction of a great temple of Inti, decorated with a statue of Manco Capac, the son of Inti and ruler of Cuzco until 1368, is started in February 1385. Reminded that the son of their god was from Cuzco, other tribes should start to think more highly of Cuzco.

11_02.jpg

Along with a high DIP monarch and YHC, this brings my burn to 0.91 per year.

Later in the month, Chibchaya is annexed by Quito.

11_03.jpg

However, Quito seems to be struggling in their remaining war against Chimu.

In April, general Huyapalcon dies. A replacement, Atahualpa Colla-Topa, is immediately hired. He is a solid general but lacks the shock rating of his predecessor or peers (4/3/3/3).

In late July, I notice that Quito and Chimu have pretty much annihilated each other's armies (Quito has about 3000 men and Chimu around 6500). Curse the truce with Chimu! And the fact that any interesting provinces Quito has are occupied by Chimu.

I can, however, benefit indirectly: I'm quite confident that Chimu won't join in the war if I DoW one of their allies.

11_04.jpg

The main objective of this war is to make Cuzco prettier by eliminating the Huanca corridor that doesn't make for aesthetically pleasing cartography.

Secondary concerns include making our capital safer by not having it border a rival anymore, and getting Ayamarca's maize province that I need as I work towards self-sufficiency. As it is, I've been a minor grain importer for a while so my armies cost 10 % extra.

Infamy is at 3.4, low enough to take land after it's gone further down during the war.

11_05.jpg

As expected. I only have to fight 8000 men from Ayamarca and a 5000 man Aymara - this should be easy enough.

In the south, I send a siege army towards Aymara's undefended capital while the rest of my local forces head for former Mapuche.

11_06.jpg

In the north, Ayamarca's forces manage to slip into Hatun Colla. My new mission is to save it - as I assumed, the manpower mission failed when I declared war.

Quizo leads men there while Parinango organizes a backdoor entrance for siege armies. Vassal troops from Chancay are doing their part by sieging Pisac, the province closest to their homeland.

11_07.jpg

In late September, general Colla-Topa does a decent job in his first battle against Aymara's superior leader.

11_08.jpg

I leave a siege army there and fall back to my own territory with the rest of the men.

In October, the resourceful Ayamarca general Coyllas Phaksi ambushes Quizo's army in a mountainous part of Hatun Colla and the Cuzco general wisely orders a retreat. After all, a new attack in conditions that aren't so disadvantageous should lead to a better result.

11_09.jpg

February 1387 sees an inconclusive battle in Bio Bio.

11_10.jpg

Days later, on the 13th, the northern conflict gets unpleasant.

11_11.jpg

I just didn't have the troops for a new attack in time as I had to deal with a couple of rebellions as well. Though I have to say that this siege was a bit quick...

Unsurprisingly, my new mission is to retake the province.

The next day Aymara has had enough.

11_12.jpg

I can't ask them to renounce claims for some reason, so I might as well accept as they have nothing to give.

The Ayamarca general Phaksi makes a questionable decision in attempting to save their capital in March, but avoids a disaster in the battle. Quizo, our best general, does a good enough job but just can't do what you'd expect in such circumstances, thanks to Phaksi.

11_13.jpg

Quizo follows to Sharanawa, but has to flee after notable casualties. Their legendary general is giving Ayamarca more of a shot here than you'd expect.

In May, the war between Quito and Chimu finally ends.

11_14.jpg

In addition to taking another province and forcing the release of Chibchaya, Chimu grabs the rich Huancauilcas. This means that Quito has nothing of particular interest anymore, while Chimu keeps getting stronger.

Phaksi gets cocky and attacks Vilcabamba again in July.

11_15.jpg

While he obviously has the tactical skills for such daring attempts, he seems to have forgotten the big picture here. A part of our Hatun Colla siege force is able to slip into Sharanawa before Phaksi can get back, so we have the defensive side when troops arrive in July. The result seems decisive.

11_16.jpg

Days earlier, Manubo was the first Ayamarca province to fall, probably thanks to Parinango's siege abilities.

Phaksi is able to resist for the next couple of months, losing some tight battles. However, with nowhere to go and his men slaughtered, he finally has to surrender in Cuzco-held Manubo in November.

11_17.jpg

A chamber in the army headquarters in Cuzco. General Quizo is talking to Tupac Yupanqui.

Tupac Yupanqui: "You're suggesting we let him live? Are you out of your mind?!? The man is dangerous and certainly isn't fond of Cuzco."

General Surandaman Quizo: "I hear he was quite cooperative when general Parinango's men caught him. And he's an extremely talented individual with superior contacts and resources. If we could somehow convince him to join our cause in any capacity he'd be a huge asset."

Tupac Yupanqui: "I see. No harm in trying then I suppose. But I don't want a potential traitor on the battlefield or in the high command."

General Surandaman Quizo: "He's a man of his word - if his accepts a role I trust him to perform it to the best of his immense capabilities. Besides, if you're not comfortable with that, we can find something else for him to do."

Tupac Yupanqui: "Fine then. Guards! Bring him in!"

A closely guarded Phaksi is brought to the chamber.

Tupac Yupanqui: "So, if you want to keep your head, let's see if we can come to an agreement..."

Coyllas Phaksi: "No way. I hate your collective guts after all these wars, and my allegiances lie in Ayamarca."

Tupac Yupanqui: "But Ayamarca is no more. And you supposedly cooperated with your original captors, how come if you hate us?"

Coyllas Phaksi: "Cooperated? Six of those miscreants were needed just to hold me. I'll never work for you."

Tupac Yupanqui: "See, Quizo? I told you, he's a danger to society as we know it."

General Surandaman Quizo: "I suppose you're right. Seems that I got wrong information about his capture. It's a shame given his talents, but he must die. Guards, take him away."

Suddenly, Yahuar Hacuac Chilche walks in.

Yahuar Hacuac Chilche: "Yo!"

Tupac Yupanqui: "Yahuar my man! Barging into a state meeting again, are you? I love it when you do that, you're SO epic!"

Yahuar Hacuac Chilche: "Fo sho homie!"

General Surandaman Quizo: "I never saw what the whole fuss is about with this guy."

Yahuar Hacuac Chilche: "Whoa, chill bro!"

Coyllas Phaksi: "Who is this man? He's just so... wow. I'm speechless."

Tupac Yupanqui: "Yeah I know. He's an incredibly cool dude. He's our main import. Gold would be, but he purchases most of it so it never leaves the country."

Coyllas Phaksi: "He's a local?"

Tupac Yupanqui: "Indeed."

Coyllas Phaksi: "I suppose Cuzco isn't all bad after all. Alright, I'll join your court and help in any way I can."

General Surandaman Quizo: "Wh-WHAAAT?!?"

Tupac Yupanqui: "Great. I'm sure you can streamline our military training and your contacts should prove useful in diplomacy."

General Surandaman Quizo: "Okay... What just happened?"

Coyllas Phaksi: "Sounds good. But I'm wondering... I have loads of cash, can I actually purchase the stuff that this exquisite man is wearing?"

Tupac Yupanqui: "Sure, you'll conveniently help our bling-bling industry when you do! Everyone in his posse wears it. You can even attempt to join that!"

Coyllas Phaksi: "Cuzco is awesome!"

General Surandaman Quizo: "..."

Chancay took control of Pisac in September, while an assault succeeded in Vilcabamba in October. Therefore, the only Ayamarca province to still stand after Phaksi's defeat is Sharanawa. Additionally, Hatun Colla has to be retaken.

With no intention of waiting much longer, I order assaults. Sharanawa is occupied in January 1388, with Hatun Colla following suit in October after some failed attempts.

11_18.jpg

My province held for over three times longer against me than against Ayamarca? And they didn't even have to assault? Sheesh.

Peace is made immediately.

11_19.jpg

Looks nicer, doesn't it?

11_20.jpg

Nice work. It's always a good thing to see cleaner borders. :D

Nice work. It's always a good thing to see cleaner borders. :D

Yup. So if you have nothing else in particular to do, why not actively go for them. :D

You have the pour that gold somewhere, and therefore you need neighbouring states.
Otherwise you would have no exporting industry. :p

Yeah, I always wondered how a society with a whole bunch of gold is rich when there's no other societies to trade with...

Hey, I've done my best explaining this in the "theatrical" segments! :mad:

1. Our citizens get cash somewhere for whatever products and services (who cares about the details).
2. They use that money to purchase government produced bling-bling. Especially YHC, as he has ridiculous amounts of cash for some reason, because he's awesome like that. It should be obvious that this shouldn't be questioned.
3. Profit! The money has gone from other nations and whatevs to Cuzco's coffers.

:D

(Yes, it's pretty ridiculous that this region's gold is so valuable before Europeans come.)

Very good updates with some impressive gains. Tupac Amaru had me worried for quite some time though. However I suppose every nation has to suffer through the rule of the odd eijit (or in Scotland's case, suffer through the rule of nobody but eijits)! Its good to see Cuzco's main industry is booming and attracting skilled immigrants. Cuzco; Keeping you bling since the fourteenth century.

Looks nice indeed. Well writen update, but kind of 'meh' for me as i'm waiting for the first forays into mesoamerica.

I just played a game as the Romans in MEIOU, fighting the Ottomans which have the same bonus as Tenochitlan has, i'd say that was....interesting. I think i killed round about 100 000 of their men and they we're still coming at me! I had to restart 3 times before i got it right.

Very good updates with some impressive gains. Tupac Amaru had me worried for quite some time though. However I suppose every nation has to suffer through the rule of the odd eijit (or in Scotland's case, suffer through the rule of nobody but eijits)!

Hehe :D Tupac Amaru's reign certainly was the ugly part...

Its good to see Cuzco's main industry is booming and attracting skilled immigrants.

Very nicely put! :)

Looks nice indeed. Well writen update, but kind of 'meh' for me as i'm waiting for the first forays into mesoamerica.

Don't blame me, blame the random numbers. ;) Unfortunately, I haven't gotten closer to a PU than the close call I mentioned earlier.

I just played a game as the Romans in MEIOU, fighting the Ottomans which have the same bonus as Tenochitlan has, i'd say that was....interesting. I think i killed round about 100 000 of their men and they we're still coming at me! I had to restart 3 times before i got it right.

That's certainly an interesting part of the world in MEIOU. A game as Serbia is what really got me into this mod: having to first overcome Wrath of God (like Basileia ton Romaion) and then face the Ottoman juggernaut that had inevitably formed during that time was great fun indeed. With the good number of interesting minors/medium powers in the region to boot.

Some whimsicalities are too good to be allowed to vanish with time.

This. :D Besides, when said whimsicalities depend on game situations, there's less of a danger that they have the time to go too much over the top or get too old.

Nice gains and good update! You're certainly preparing yourself well for the Europeans.

Im just waiting for next awsome update :)

Thanks and welcome, glad to have another Finn in the thread! :D

You're going from strength to strength! I can't wait to see Europeans come and kick your... ehm ehm... hmm... and things become more challenging.

Yeah me neither. Or actually, I CAN wait until I've consolidated South America. After that I really can't. ;)

Now that you only have little Aymara in your backyard, you can push north all the way! :)

That's the plan. I say it's time to put an end to serious resistance by other South American tribes.

Nice gains and good update! You're certainly preparing yourself well for the Europeans.

Thanks, yeah I'm doing everything I can with that goal in mind, sadly there are things I can't control...

Oh, now that I'm doing feedback, I'd like to ask some feedback regarding feedback
(yeah I know, I sometimes can barely bear (ugh, here I go again...) myself either), seeing that I'm new to this making an AAR thing and all.

So, do you guys prefer feedback at the rate I'm doing it, or once for each update?

So far, I've done feedback when I come to the forum and notice that there are more than a few comments here, plus I've answered specific questions pretty much when I see them.

The way I've done it is what feels natural to me, but I know some people expect an update when they see the author has posted.

Honestly, it doesn't matter to me. I don't expect anything from authors since AARs are suppose to be a pleasant hobby and not a grueling job. I think what is natural to you, as you say, should be what you do. I actually like when authors respond back to comments when they can instead of just commenting once per update. It shows that you are committed to your readers just as much as you are to your AAR.

Just my two cents. :)

My opinion is that it shouldn't be left up to us. ;)

Reply to comments when you think you should. If we come here expecting an update, then we have spent only 2 seconds and built up more hype for when the update does come.

Eber and Chamboozer: Okay good to hear, that's how I view it too from a reader's standpoint. And I feel it kind of opens up the discussion, which I certainly try to do here.

On the other hand, while an authAAR should often do as he/she pleases, this is the type of thing that's extremely easy to change if the readers see it otherwise. That's why I wanted to throw that out here. ;)

Welcome to the thread Chamboozer! :)

I thought AARs were self inflicted punishment?

Only for the first two or three updates (in the HT Succession Game in my case, not here). :D I felt kind of lost there for a while. Once I got the hang of it, it's all good fun obviously.

Unless you meant reading them of course? :D