• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Took longer than intended, but I expect to update either tonight or tomorrow morning.

Earthquakes and volcanoes - it's like I've never been away!

Is that your first foothold in mainland Europe?

Hmm, come to think of it, it was much quieter on the natural disaster front while you weren't here... :glare: :D

Yes it is.

I think when planning your invasion of Europe you should have gone for Nice really, it was the the nice choice to make (awful I know but it had to be typed!).

Ha ha. ;) Nice hasn't really been an option yet, I border them in Africa too so I'd have to recruit a lot more troops and haul them over.

No real surprise that you met with success against Mallorca. Considering that most of Inca's troops will have likely suffered through countless outbreaks of disease and numerous earthquakes and volcanic eruptions, a bit of noise, death and carnage on the battlefield is unlikely to faze them regardless of the opponent!

These European campaigns are basically a vacation for the troops. Even on the battlefield they just find it safer and more peaceful than usual.

A table of every natural disaster and the death toll would be amusing.

A very good idea! Would have to go through the whole AAR for it though... But yes, I think this should be included eventually, too bad that I haven't been recording these separately. I probably should have when I realized what a major part of the AAR they've become. :D

Ah, the heat is on. The first of the Iberian homelands feel the hard hand of the Inca (at least until they convert).

Until they don't exist, to be more precise. ;)

I'm working on it!

That would be awesome if you are!

And suddenly volcanoes, earthquakes, tornadoes, space invaders and meteors started appearing in Western Europe.
The arrival of the Inca Empire was equaled to Armageddon, finally coming to punish Christendom in its sinful pride for their ungodly ambitions to claim lands outside of the Old Continent.

Hmm, maybe that's why the Europeans are losing the battles? The forces of nature themselves have turned against them!

And so the European Campaign begins in earnest. You would think a volcano would have erupted somewhere in West Europe to mark the occasion. Look forward to seeing the toe hold become a full foot stomping revenge on all who made your list.

The toe hold will expand... I wish there was a way to set the message log so that you only see specific events, it would be nice to see what natural disasters other countries get. :D

How far the Inca's have come. Seems only a few centuries ago where the thought of Incan fishermen was laughed at. Now they are in the vanguard of navy supremacy :eek:hmy:

And it was only about a century ago that we got our first ships. :) So yes, the rise has been quick in that as well.

Perfectly good beachhead to start with, you can now deal with Nice and Catalunya straight away (weather and natural disasters permitting).

I'll smite a more familiar foe first...

Congratz on that foothold in the mainland Europe.

Cheers!

Interesting choice for the foothold/beachhead.
That's quite the impressive military the Inca have deployed.

It gets the job done. ;) Yeah, Mallorca fit the bill: powerful enough to be a sufficiently manly choice, yet not awfully inconvenient.

I've only been playing EUIII (DW) for about a month now, only found these fora about 2 weeks ago, found this thread last week and finally managed to catch up to 'current' today! I just wanted to pop in and say great work - it's been a fascinating read! And an example of what seems, at least to this complete noob, to be quite skillful gameplay. I look forward to the further exploits of the Sons of Inti! :D

Thank you for the praise and welcome to the forums! :) I'm happy that you've enjoyed it so far, further exploits will be available in this space soon enough. ;)

It took me a few days to read all 68 pages, but I entirely enjoy this AAR :D . Your factual narrative helps me in understanding the details of your expansion, and I learned a thing or two. I wish you good luck in further conquest, all the way to European domination!

Thank you and good to hear, I'm glad to have you here! Reading more or less "pure" gameplay accounts like this one is indeed a great way to learn more about the game.

That beachhead is nice, given that it is right nextdoor to the spanish heartland. Looks like iberia will be incan in the future :)

That's the plan. ;) Yes, Barcelona is in an absolutely perfect location for launching a Spanish campaign, plus it's major enough (i.e. high supply limit) that I can station a lot of men there.

Chapter Seventy
1708-1712

Our entry to the mainland doesn't go unnoticed: only two months after the Mallorcan peace, Netherlands strikes at Fez, taking three provinces and forcing the release of Al Djazair.

73_01.jpg

Seems that the Europeans are taking it out on my friends, first the League of Lezhe annexation and now this. I'll have to help Fez reclaim those Dutch provinces at some point.

13400 people die in June when a volcano erupts in Teotitlan. Nambiquana starts producing maize.

Spain and Mallorca sign peace in August, with Spain grabbing Labourd. Mallorca still has to fight Portugal and Catalunya though.

73_02.jpg

Sissatowan converts in October, while Pachacutec Quilaco dies the next month. A replacement Theologian has to be hired in order to keep the missionary chances up.

73_03.jpg

In December I finally realize that the Isle of Man produces iron. My factory building has been limited in the past by the fact that I didn't have any iron provinces, but now I can construct a steel factory in Mitla.

73_04.jpg

Having a steel province, in turn, enables me to build factories for hardware, armaments and ammunitions. Apart from the ammunitions which aren't quite as profitable, these new resources turn the provinces into some of my richest.

73_05.jpg

I haven't moved my national focus in some time, so in January 1709 Attawadaron (just south of Lake Ontario) gets the focus. This catches a total of eight Catholic provinces for the missionary chance boost.

South American Nambiquana reaches city status in February, while the Samoa colonist succeeds in March. One more Pacific island group colonized.

Then in April I reach a milestone of sorts: explorer Guaritopa Curiatao has finished his job as I now know all sea and coastal provinces in the world.

Siuslaw starts producing lumber in May, and shortly afterwards our colonist arrives in Athna. We're slowly advancing on the northern coast with some way left to go.

73_06.jpg

During the summer Tionontati converts and we reach level 42 in Trade and Production techs. Another 20000 man army of new recruits boards one of our fleets and heads for Europe.

A spare colonist is sent to Skidi - a North American inland province - in November. As 1710 rolls around we get level 46 in Land tech and 42 in Naval. I'm not entirely sure but I believe I'm only a couple of levels away from some unit type upgrades.

Wintoon grows into a city in March and Attawadaron converts in April. A colonist is sent to Waura; it will "finish" one of the Amazon corridors.

3900 people die of the plague in Copiapo in May. The next month we receive excellent news: the succession is safe as an heir is born! He's excellent to boot.

73_07.jpg

A colonist is sent to Tonga, seeking to expand our Pacific influence. Waura starts producing maize and Erieehronon embraces Inti.

Late in the summer I start a grand project as small armies are sent to the uncolonized inland provinces all over the Americas. The troops are ordered to kill anyone they come across, preparing these provinces for future Inca colonists. Doing this in every province now means that I won't have to worry about slaughtering the natives anymore in the future.

Ovambo and Tuamotu grow into cities in September and October, respectively. Africa is secure and my first Pacific island colony is complete. Also, Samoa gets lumber as its resource and Chitimacha converts.

This is also when the truce with Spain and friends runs out. I chose to wait for this instead of attacking Portugal because the truce was nearly over by the time I had finished shuffling troops around. Anyway, war is declared on Spain, this time with the Imperialism CB.

73_08.jpg

Geneve dishonors the alliance, the others join in.

Early on we sink a lone Norwegian transport, while our high maneuver admiral allows the fleet to catch a good number of Catalunyan galleys.

73_09.jpg

Alarmed, Catalunya signs peace with Mallorca. The latter has to release Albret and Armagnac, further weakening Mallorca.

73_10.jpg

The first significant land battle is successful as the 9000 man Spanish stack on Long Island is wiped out in mid-November.

We enter Spanish territory, successfully assaulting Urgell late in the month. We sent 20000 men there, with two stacks of the same size standing by on my side of the border.

73_11.jpg

Tuscany sends a small fleet for Spain, we sink it and capture three galleys in December. They should at least be good for pirate patrol.

Late in the month the 15000 strong Catalunyan army is eliminated as they make the mistake of starting a siege in Montpelhier. They have no men left.

Peewaareewa converts soon after, while Siuslaw reaches city status in January 1711.

Metoac (Long Island) is assaulted in February and the army boards some ships heading for Bermuda.

73_12.jpg

Athna starts producing maize and Nambiquana gets sugar.

We advance in Spain as Alto Arago is occupied after a major battle in March.

73_13.jpg

White peace offers start coming in in April. I obviously decline the Spanish offer, but peace is signed with Norway and, after some thought, Catalunya. Catalunya's fortifications are formidable, so I only want to occupy their provinces when I'm actually taking them.

We win a bunch of inconclusive battles and Mingo converts. Late in May Bajo Arago is taken.

Apalachicola converts and we land on Bermuda. Unfortunately the assault fails - the army won't recover properly there so I'll have to transport troops around.

Switzerland takes four provinces from Nice and forces the release of Saluzzo in June. It's notable that Paris is among the provinces changing hands.

73_14.jpg

We occupy Nafarroa late in the month and wipe out the remains of a fifteen regiment Spanish army. Rioja falls in August, and the last significant Spanish army is decimated shortly after.

73_15.jpg

By October we've taken Castilla la Vieja, Viscaya and La Alcarria. Nuu-chah-nulth (Vancouver Island) reaches city status and we accept a white peace offer from Tuscany.

Castilla la Nueva falls in November and Waura grows into a city. We occupy Bermuda and Labourd in December. Fourteen Spanish warships flee port in Labourd. We sink them.

Tonga's colonist succeeds in February and Koasati and Tuscarora become Inti. We take Toledo. With that, we control a good chunk of Iberia.

73_16.jpg

Granada has DoWed Spain and is sieging one province while the rest have high level forts. I'm able to sign an 84 point peace now and decide to do so instead of pressing for any more. The fact that my infamy would reach zero in about three months is one reason.

73_17.jpg

Toledo, a steel province, is a very good prize and Bajo Arago is prosperous enough as well. Other than that, the land isn't very good but everything is needed to link Toledo to the coast. And of course I have to take it all eventually.

73_18.jpg

Bermuda isn't too shabby either, and taking Long Island restricts Spanish presence in the New World to their northern Canadian holdings.

73_19.jpg

NIcely established european territory. Next up -Portgual. No doubt the Incan spanish land will soon be having natural disasters to make them feel more american. Looks as if the Dutch will be your major end game baddies.

It's puzzling just how many times there's been a natural disaster before the arrival of an heir. The worse the disaster, the better the heir's stats.

Nice. You take three provinces, then Western Europe and North Africa start to fragment. I can't wait to see what drama the Incan dagger you just placed into the heart of Iberia will cause. :) Although, I will say there are quite a few ugly green smudges in North Incania and the Caribbean...:happy:

Unfortunately I'm unable to view the screenshots at present, your AAR unsurprisingly proving too popular for Photobucket to cope, but reading through things it seems all is well. More gains made, a skilled heir finally produced and, most importantly, more natural disasters suffered!

Well done. The Iberians are feeling the Incan heat now.

Thanks! :)

NIcely established european territory. Next up -Portgual. No doubt the Incan spanish land will soon be having natural disasters to make them feel more american. Looks as if the Dutch will be your major end game baddies.

It's puzzling just how many times there's been a natural disaster before the arrival of an heir. The worse the disaster, the better the heir's stats.

Heh, I never noticed a connection... As for the end game baddies, the Dutch probably aren't strong enough for that. I'm guessing maybe Austria. They're huge, strong and out of the way - operating in Austria with the kind of army numbers that are needed to defeat them should be a bit of a pain. :D

Probably not Portugal next - I'd still be using the Colonialism CB on them and I sort of "need" more infamy than such a war would provide. I haven't played much ahead though so I'm not sure what's going to happen.

Nice. You take three provinces, then Western Europe and North Africa start to fragment. I can't wait to see what drama the Incan dagger you just placed into the heart of Iberia will cause. :) Although, I will say there are quite a few ugly green smudges in North Incania and the Caribbean...:happy:

Indeed, it's interesting how the AI nations have gone all crazy since my arrival! Another reason to delay going for the (admittedly ugly :p) Portuguese is that getting a land border in Europe first will make it easier to force my terms on them. They've been quite stubborn in the past.

Unfortunately I'm unable to view the screenshots at present, your AAR unsurprisingly proving too popular for Photobucket to cope, but reading through things it seems all is well. More gains made, a skilled heir finally produced and, most importantly, more natural disasters suffered!

Darn, sorry for that... I trust that the screenshots are working for everyone now?

Oh and of course a healthy dose of natural disasters is key as far as all being well goes. :D

Some nice gains this time. Looks like European Spain might be wiped out before the Canadian holdings.

I agree that those Dutch should be taught not to jump on Incan buddies, but my guess is Korea will be a significant end game opponent.

The high point was this, though:

Switzerland takes four provinces from Nice and forces the release of Saluzzo in June. It's notable that Paris is among the provinces changing hands.

Time to divide Europe between Inca, Fez, Switzerland and League of Lezhe ^^;

The birth of Jesus was announced by an angel and a star over Bethlehem. The heir to the Inca Empire's birth is announced by a pack of plague-hounds and the tormented heaving of the very Earth itself.

Excellent headway into Europe itself. I wonder whether anything could actually pose a bit of a challenge against the Incan might.
Only a coalition of some very powerful countries might make you think twice before you act I spose.

Great AAR. Loved the read only, took one week as I work 70+hrs a week. If I have a chance will get MEIOU. Subscribed.

The Incans have conqured Spanish Iberian territory... truly representative of a complete reversal of fortune :D .

Some nice gains this time. Looks like European Spain might be wiped out before the Canadian holdings.

I'd like to avoid that since keeping their capital in Europe would make it easy to grab the Canadian holdings. I'm not sure if I'm able to resist grabbing the Iberian lands though. ;)

I agree that those Dutch should be taught not to jump on Incan buddies, but my guess is Korea will be a significant end game opponent.

Maybe, maybe not. I'm not at all sure that I'll go to their part of the world at all, even if they are sort of pushing it with Australia et al. We'll see.

One unsung enemy is Nice. Now that the Iberians have suffered so much in the Americas, they are the biggest colonial success story. Could be a tricky war when I go for them.

The high point was this, though:

Time to divide Europe between Inca, Fez, Switzerland and League of Lezhe ^^;

Heh, could be. :D Of course, we aren't particularly close with the Swiss, but they aren't on the list either. Funny how every nation of interest has a Z in its name. Much like Cuzco. ;)

Switzerland looks like cancer :D!

The 'Z' floating in Africa is quite funny ;).

Both are a bit creepy... :p

The birth of Jesus was announced by an angel and a star over Bethlehem. The heir to the Inca Empire's birth is announced by a pack of plague-hounds and the tormented heaving of the very Earth itself.

I shudder to think what this tells about the guy.

Excellent headway into Europe itself. I wonder whether anything could actually pose a bit of a challenge against the Incan might.
Only a coalition of some very powerful countries might make you think twice before you act I spose.

I'm not sure anyone would be a real threat, at least to continental America, but some of the more powerful countries (or combinations of countries) would still be a logistical nightmare. I'm not at all close to getting a European core and before that happens I have to be a bit careful there.

Great AAR. Loved the read only, took one week as I work 70+hrs a week. If I have a chance will get MEIOU. Subscribed.

Thank you, welcome to the thread and to the forums as well! You should definitely give the mod a go, it's a great one.

Is your schedule always like that? I get that kind of weeks sometimes and don't find them entirely enjoyable. :D

Read this over the course of a day. Love your attention to detail. Are you going to be kicking the Portuguese out of Canada soon?

Cheers, good to have you here! I suppose you have an easier schedule than dragonizer? ;) I plan to declare war on them pretty soon, however fighting it might take a while. There's a lot of territory to cover, many forts of some strength compared to what I'm used to in the region, and I don't have the numbers I used to have in theater (I have recruited a lot of men lately, but I've shipped more to Europe).

The Incans have conqured Spanish Iberian territory... truly representative of a complete reversal of fortune :D .

True, the tables have turned! :)

Normal! Last year was 85/100per week.

Now have more free time. Have to rebuy my games lost key-codes for EUIII,EUIII Complete.
Can't reg. EUI. Have been playing them since release but didn't have internet till two weeks ago.