• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yes, on YMCmas, YMC shows up and leaves "presents".

The presents are natural disasters.
So in Inca lands on the eve of Christmas, instead of a Merry bearded grandpa, four Horsemen of Apocalypse ride. Delivering Doom and Devastation?

Thanks everyone for your Christmas wishes! :)

So how far does this US thing go...Guam???The Philippines? Samoa!!!

Yes, ADM3 is almost as annoying as DIP3...but just not quite IMHO

Well, Hawaii is a state unlike the other ones... But I guess the answer is "as far as I feel like going". :D I like to think that if you take the Bering Strait and the eastern tip of Brazil and draw vertical lines on a map, everything that's between them belongs to me. ;) Anything else depends on circumstances.

I'd prefer DIP 3 at this point, infamy is rarely an issue (I have Cabinet and a good bunch of glorious monuments) but ADM 3 creates problems in WE as well as colonist and missionary chances.

Yes, I meant Hawaii.
Can you use that as a jumpoff point for southeast asia?

Yeah sounds like a possibility.

Happy YMC-mas to you, and then a joyous "Taxday feast" that some claim is the turning day for the calendar year ;)

YMC? Sounds a bit too Christian for the Inca people. :D New Year really is a great time in EU III, isn't it?

Yes, on YMCmas, YMC shows up and leaves "presents".

Assuming you mean YHC, the thought is hilarious.

The presents are natural disasters.

Or are they? That was the immediate thought for me too, but remember that in the Inca Empire, every day is natural disaster day! So such a present maybe wouldn't feel so special. Though naturally, it would be a really good present. :p

So in Inca lands on the eve of Christmas, instead of a Merry bearded grandpa, four Horsemen of Apocalypse ride. Delivering Doom and Devastation?

That's what the Iberians seem to believe. Not sure where they got that idea. ;)

Assuming you mean YHC, the thought is hilarious.

I know I meant YHC at least, but typo pixies swapped out my fingers (or keys. Whatever.) :p

I suppose I'll have to come out of lurking for a quick post before I go back in my corner.

Somehow it took me over a month to realise the AAR is back from hiatus, but hey, at least I could enjoy several updates in one go. Keep up the great work, looking forward to reading more come 2012.

Erinomaista uutta vuotta! :ninja:

WE reaches zero. As soon as the smallpox provinces become cities again, we're ready for war. (...) We've added some land by colonizing in the last couple of years, but now it's time to get more aggressive.
Less colonising and converting? An action-packed update ahead of us? Yes please!

Happy new year everybody! I actually managed to survive without opening my whiskey bottle - very strange indeed :D.

That world map could certainly do with some tidying up. Nice to see that some things never change though. Even though you're now a technological powerhouse and a continent-spanning empire you're still afflicted by terrible natural disasters. It's enough to drive anyone to human sacrifices.

Alright, update coming up! Turns out that my late 2011 Helsinki stay was so short that I spent most of it running around taking care of stuff so no time to update then, but I'm back now.

Oh and remember to vote in the AARland Choice AwAARds everyone!

I know I meant YHC at least, but typo pixies swapped out my fingers (or keys. Whatever.) :p

Heh, that happens.

I suppose I'll have to come out of lurking for a quick post before I go back in my corner.

Somehow it took me over a month to realise the AAR is back from hiatus, but hey, at least I could enjoy several updates in one go. Keep up the great work, looking forward to reading more come 2012.

Erinomaista uutta vuotta! :ninja:

Kiitos. ;) Good to have another Finn show up, welcome!

Less colonising and converting? An action-packed update ahead of us? Yes please!

The same amount of those things naturally, and the rest is just gravy. :D

Looking forward to you next clash with the Iberians.

Happy New Year! May the ground under your feet be firm and steady! :)

Haha, thanks! Have a nice 2012, clashes with the Iberians coming right up!

Happy new year everybody! I actually managed to survive without opening my whiskey bottle - very strange indeed :D.

Happy 2012 to you as well, and indeed to everybody! I was positively wasted. :laugh:

That world map could certainly do with some tidying up. Nice to see that some things never change though. Even though you're now a technological powerhouse and a continent-spanning empire you're still afflicted by terrible natural disasters. It's enough to drive anyone to human sacrifices.

That's how it is with man and nature. (how deep :p) I've been thinking about this and I believe that the best way to make the world map look better is to beat up some Europeans.

I'm hoping to see a new war with the Iberians soon... :p

You will now! :)

Chapter Sixty-four
1683-1686

Turns out that Spain is guaranteeing Portugal's independence. That means that Spain is the initial target. While I'm fighting these wars, colonization efforts are concentrated on the Pacific coast region and the north.

Troops are in place in November and war is declared. Everyone joins in.

67_01.jpg

I'm looking for another "layer" of Spanish land in the US here. I don't expect it to be difficult, especially since one of the new generals I hire is pretty good. Therefore if the Spanish actually come up with a decent army - not likely - I should still be able to handle it.

While my men are still approaching Spanish territory, the enemy makes some strong starting moves, sending small but suicidal fleets straight into my blockade fleet. Smart.

Still in November, my army eliminates a Spanish regiment and occupies the first province of this conflict. In December we get another one, while also taking care of two more tiny armies. Meanwhile, my project of creating small armies to guard the Caribbean islands is finally finished.

Two more provinces fall in January 1684 and another one in February. Small armies and navies are regularly exterminated.

Yet another assault is successful in May, and white peace is signed with Catalunya and Norway. Catalunya dodged a bullet here:

67_02.jpg

That's four transport ships full of men in the Antilles. I find that a little bit suspicious, but there were no landings or battles so they are safe from the Incas' wrath for now. Chances are that wouldn't be the case without the WP.

UmoNhoN starts producing maize and Wahpekute (a northern province) gets tobacco as its resource in June, while Yavapai grows into a city. More importantly, the last target provinces fall. As soon as I'm ready to declare war on Portugal, we can peace out with Spain. I bide my time while troops move into position in the Portuguese border area by slaughtering stray regiments.

Tanasi gets smallpox in late July, going from 1400 inhabitants to 400. It's on the current Spanish border, but that border is about to be moved and Portugal is far enough that the disaster won't harm the war effort.

War is declared on August 1st, pulling in England, Catalunya and Geneve in addition to Portugal.

67_03.jpg

With that out of the way, peace is signed with Spain. We take the next layer of provinces and remove their cores from the islands.

67_04.jpg

67_05.jpg

Every single one of those provinces produces tobacco so this is a pretty good haul as far as economy goes.

The early Portuguese war sees some naval action. A bunch of Portuguese ships are sunk, and we capture a sloop and a race built galleon. In the first land battle, Portuguese military presence on Hispaniola is removed.

67_06.jpg

In September we catch a Portuguese transport fleet trying to pick up troops in Cuba. It is sunk. On the continent the enemy tries to be sneaky, coming in through Spanish territory. Fortunately, my Infiltrate Administration on Spain is still in effect, so it's simple enough to move troops to intercept.

Manidou Minising is the first province to fall in late September. Others follow starting in November - the target provinces on Hispaniola are occupied by year-end.

67_07.jpg

Meanwhile, Tolipan converts to Inti, followed by Kamemtxa.

1685 features ridiculously bad luck when it comes to assaults, many failing and most causing huge casualties under conditions where you'd expect better. The highlight is the total annihilation of ten-thousand infantry led by a great general when trying to take on a level one fort. This obviously delays things.

My explorer dies in late January. Bad timing as his ships have to sail back quite a long way in order to pick up a replacement.

The next month white peace is signed with England and Catalunya.

Dilzhe'e and Wahpatowan start producing maize, while the heir, Huascar, dies in a hunting accident in June. He was bad so I'm not exactly devastated by the loss, but it's a bit worrying considering that Huayna Capac II has already ruled for just over two decades.

Our explorer makes a major discovery in July: Hawaii!

67_08.jpg

One of our larger fleets starts the long journey around America to the Pacific, as they suddenly have some business to take care of there...

UmoNhoN and Wahpatowan start producing tobacco, while Orinoco converts. We also discover the next province up the Pacific coast, O'odhame, and a colonist is immediately sent.

Kuruya in South America cores in October. Portugal's northern troops are starting to arrive at the front, and one surprisingly big army catches me not paying attention. I'm lucky to win the resulting battle.

67_09.jpg

Now that I've noticed what's going on, that area is reinforced somewhat. Then in November, Onigamiinsing falls, leaving only one more province that has to be occupied.

We learn level 39 in trade and production techs and 40 in government in the beginning of 1686. All research is around a decade ahead of time.

Then in late February, the last siege finishes. And note that it actually is the siege that succeeds as my assault troops kept killing themselves.

67_10.jpg

Peace is signed immediately. I can just barely get all the provinces I want - all I can get in addition is the removal of one core.

67_11.jpg

We add another "layer" of land in OTL US-Canada border area...

67_12.jpg

...and enough of Hispaniola to give us all of the Dominican Republic side.

67_13.jpg

Driving the infidels from your lands is such tough work. At least now you can rest with a good smoke. At least until the earthquake-volcano-smallpox epidemic strikes.

Clearly the problem is that your troops have become so used to high casaulties caused by natural disaster that they are trying to replicate said high casaulties when assaulting! Good stuff on the whole, just irksome that it is proving so difficult to take control of the colonies. Do you have another heir yet by the way? Surely this is not the end of Inca's august royal family!

This game is turning into a bit of a grind though. How many wars until you control the America's? Two? Three?