• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Pleasing that war with a European nation is now merely a small event in which you expect victory, how far things have come.

Pleasing that war with a European nation is now merely a small event in which you expect victory, how far things have come.

Indeed...with the interior now isolated and a couple more colonies taken, the Inca are well on their way to being a superpower

Finally got some time to catch up on this entertaining AAR. Looks like the Children of the Sun is now shining brightly over all of the Americas. Well done in dealing with the Europeans and seizing control of the seas.

As blsteen stated, well on your way to a superpower, if you are not there already. Look forward to seeing where the next action will take place at.

Why hasn't GB been a bigger colonial factor?

This was answered by ViperhawkZ, but I'll note that it's actually England here. ;) They were never successful enough to form GB.

If you look close at GB, you'll notice the actual Brits only control like two provinces.

This. Though I think the exact number is four, not sure. To make matters worse, they're mostly discontinuous.

Completely off-topic but hmm, Sault Ste. Marie, that's some legendary hockey territory you live in. :D

Galapagos might be small, however your first colony away from the American continent is surely a sign of great ambition :)

You securing South america against further enemy colonies is a fine accomplishment. It might be wise to first focus on the colony-race now taking place in North America before claiming the inland provinces in the south.

Thanks! Yes indeed, I don't expect to colonize in South America before the North American race is taken care of unless I'm in a situation where I get more colonists than I can properly use in North America. That happens sometimes as colonist times to the far north are getting longer. But even in that situation, growing the coast to cities is a higher priority than creating inland colonies.

I liked colonizing Galapagos, it looks better that way. :cool:

Heh true. :) But that's still the exception - it's not like the Dutch had much of a presence at that point.

Generally speaking, the navy really changed the situation.

Indeed...with the interior now isolated and a couple more colonies taken, the Inca are well on their way to being a superpower

Yup. :D

Finally got some time to catch up on this entertaining AAR. Looks like the Children of the Sun is now shining brightly over all of the Americas. Well done in dealing with the Europeans and seizing control of the seas.

As blsteen stated, well on your way to a superpower, if you are not there already. Look forward to seeing where the next action will take place at.

Cheers! Taking control of the naval game has indeed really made a difference.

The home turf is starting to look real safe and I'm surely the most powerful single nation now, but I think being a superpower is debatable. I believe I have to project my power elsewhere before I can truly accept that title. ;)

Chapter Fifty-four
1653-1656

Some minor notes from the late part of the Dutch war... Diduhet, the southernmost former Dutch colony, started producing maize. Savoy was re-elected as HRE despite their struggles.

And more importantly, Jicarilla grew into a city. By October, we have colonists heading to both Kiikaapa and Quivira. If Kiikaapa succeeds, Portugal will be fully blocked in this part.

57_01.jpg

December sees government tech 36 (now ahead of time in a second category!) - the next National Idea is available.

There's no obvious choice this time. I look at some help for colonies, missionaries or the army, but nothing makes enough of a difference to be more important than rectifying the spy situation.

57_02.jpg

Yearly gain goes from 0.15 to 1.15, so the difference is huge. I don't expect to be running out of them anymore. No more blind wars! And of course, I don't exactly have anything against half price either.

Nawat converts later in the month, while the Colonial Portuguese population in Quirigua is doing well thanks to our Bill of Rights.

57_03.jpg

Of course, said minority is still being too rowdy to produce any taxes at all, but isn't it just lovely that they're having fun doing it?

Early in 1654, Aydin declares independence in the lands that Spain took from Karaman earlier. Following in Greece's footsteps, Anatolia is now free of Spanish presence.

At the same time, I make the drastic step of overhauling the government.

57_04.jpg

Now that the Dutch war is over and South America sealed, there shouldn't be any pressing matters that would interfere with the stab recovery period.

In addition to the Imperialism CB, there's a nice enough +5 % discipline bonus here. We also end up pretty much right at our force limit instead of going over upon losing the bonus that the Feudal empire had in that category.

I don't know what this is about...

57_05.jpg

So, somehow the game decides that I should only get the Colonialism CB on Spain AFTER I've secured a different kind of CB? Well, Colonialism should be the better one to use for now, but why does it become available now instead of earlier?

Also, Nice diploannexes OPM Orleans, adding Paris to their wannabe-France.

Both of my northern colonists succeed, giving me a good position in the area - Portugal is completely stuck here and I can make Spain's life difficult as well. I move heavy troops in, seeing that it's a bit contested. Of the colonies, Kiikaapa starts producing cotton, while Quivira's resource is lumber. Another nearby colony in Sepinpicam gets maize.

57_06.jpg

I somehow get a slider move in May. It was coming somewhere in the 1660s and then I changed my government type... Well, if it's available then I'll take it, moving towards expansionism. I get a useless advisor from that.

Some quite interesting news from Iberia in August. Cadiz has defected to Norway.

57_07.jpg

Norway's other provinces are capital Orkney, Shetland and the Faroe Islands. I get the feeling that those rebels had a sense of humor.

The National Focus becomes available and I move it to Quirigua.

57_08.jpg

This catches several provinces awaiting missionaries, and also finally allows improvements in the prosperous Tikal. Not to mention that some of the other provinces will be quite good as well when they're cored and converted, especially Copan.

We reach full stability in April 1655. Troops are pretty much in position, I'll wait a couple of months for morale to rise after increasing military maintenance. The timing seems good as Wapislina (the colony on the Spanish border on South American coast) grows into a city.

I spot a Spanish fleet of twelve transports full of men. We Incas have little respect for the Europeans, so I make the dastardly move of getting my warships in position to intercept before declaring war.

57_09.jpg

Spain seems to have mostly taken care of their rebels, but many of their armies are still in such a bad shape that it should give me a clear advantage.

The Spanish scramble to send some warships to defend their transport fleet, but they are simply too few. More than one third of the enemy transport capacity is removed from the equation five days into the war.

57_10.jpg

Three more warships are sunk further down the coast as well as another transport in the north, while our land troops maneuver into position in South and Central America.

However, the fastest land progress is in the north.

57_11.jpg

We destroy one small enemy army and damage another when we cross the border. The colony in Harahey is seized. I don't expect to keep it right now as that army will push into the TI and be unable to defend the province, but at least it's on friendly territory now.

We sink five more transports in Chesapeake Bay in August, while our Southern and Central troops start going over the border.

In the south, we start some sieges and win some minor battles, eliminating a few enemy armies of little significance. Notably, by leaving our artillery behind we reach Waimiri, the province in the southeastern corner of the Spanish holdings and the one in which they were attempting to make a stand, before most of the enemy armies arrive, preventing Spain from combining their small local armies into a powerful one. Even more importantly, a major battle against the Spanish King is won in Central America, allowing us to siege both enemy provinces in that area.

57_12.jpg

Over the next months, we keep spreading out and eliminating small enemy armies. Then in October, we reach Naval tech 31.

57_13.jpg

After the war, I plan to build a new transport fleet consisting of this ship type, demoting the old cogs to pirate patrol duty. This will not only make my transports more suitable for use in heavy invasions, but also free a good number of relatively modern small ships from patrol, enabling me to add them to my war fleet. But that's something for another time.

In the end of the month, we suffer an unfortunate defeat in North America.

57_14.jpg

At least the casualties look good, as they should considering that the ~9500 enemy troops that started the battle came from 24 badly damaged regiments. It's too bad that I can't really use artillery for staying power in these parts - pushing into the TI would take forever.

We win a small battle in Kanza and seize that colony, however.

The damned enemy survivors from the battle of Bodewadmi head through Anishnaabe into Kiikaapa, seizing an original Inca colony. :mad: In better news, our second push into Bodewadmi is more successful than the first.

57_15.jpg

This is enough for Spain to start asking for white peace. As if, they're even holding MY colony! But it's good to see that they aren't nearly as stubborn as last time.

The Spanish also retake Harahey and Kanza in December, but my reinforcements from the south are able to eliminate the small enemy force in Kiikaapa and take our colony back.

57_16.jpg

A moderate Spanish force is destroyed in Harahey, and that colony changes hands again.

We win a pretty important battle on the 16th.

57_17.jpg

Important in the sense that that was the remains of ten regiments that we managed to reach separated from their largest army. It should make a difference in this region.

We sink eight Spanish warships on Christmas Eve. I lured them out of their island port on Curacao by sending my fleet away and having a small detachment sail around the South American coast. When my bait sailed to port, the chasing Spanish fleet was too far from home to reach safety before my main fleet returned to intercept. Abusing the AI? Perhaps, but the end result is actually better for them than me landing troops on the island to force the navy out, which, given the island's proximity to the continent, would have been very simple to do had I bothered.

The 18 regiment Spanish Central American army is finally eliminated in January 1656 after seemingly never-ending ping-ponging.

It's worth noting that we're now 300 years into the game.

Later in the month, Aydin signs white peace with Spain. They've won their independence, possibly helped by the Incas keeping Spain occupied.

In February, a small Inca army is surprised in Kanza as enemy forces come from TI to reinforce a weak local army.

57_18.jpg

The next day, we lose another battle, this time in the nasty province of Bodewadmi that seems to cause most of my defeats.

57_19.jpg

There are some good news during the month - the construction of Province Parliaments finishes in my four CoTs, giving an additional 15-20 ducats of tax income in each, we sink six Spanish warships attempting to come across the Atlantic, the enemy sends a few empty regiments to my lands and therefore their destruction, and Wapislina gets coffee as its resource - but those are all overshadowed by the fact that my troops in the north are in no shape to fight.

The Spanish scramble to send some warships to defend their transport fleet, but they are simply too few. More than one third of the enemy transport capacity is removed from the equation five days into the war.

A great way to start the war by catching the Spanish with their naval pants down. The old Incan seamen of the past would be proud.:D

With no hope of getting any reenforcements from their homeland, its going to be tough for the Spaniards to win a battle of attrition against the Incas on their home turf.

Completely off-topic but hmm, Sault Ste. Marie, that's some legendary hockey territory you live in. :D

Mr. Gretzky played for our team first - take that, other hockey teams. :D

Heck, we have his name on the "Welcome to Sault Ste. Marie" sign.

Ah, maybe in the north the Spanish decided not to be impressed by the light of your Sun-God, but finally made their own ligths, as in you meeting their matches (or something like that ;) ).

Armies of the golden sun shall push the evil white men back behind Mississippi!
Why did their King decide to roam in Mesoamerica? Homefront boring? :D

Indeed, very good update... with its share of good and less good news.

I second Omen's request. :p

Excellent as always, Malurous! I agree, the occasional defeat makes the war more realistic...though it is a bit worrying.

Iberia looks like a royal mess. I'd also like to see a look around the world when you find a good point to do so.

Very nice update. I hope your war against those heathens from over the sea will end well. How is your badboy status, anyway? Any chance of taking big chunks from Spain?

Just a word of warning: my Photobucket account is pretty close to going over bandwidth limit. However, the reset date is close enough as well, so no worries. If the images indeed disappear at some point, they shouldn't be down long at all. :)

Those Iberians are using black magic >:[

That should save the Inquisition some travel expenses. :D

I am sure we will hear about Norway and her cunning plans in the future...

True - can't really ignore them after that defection, can I? ;)

A great way to start the war by catching the Spanish with their naval pants down. The old Incan seamen of the past would be proud.:D

With no hope of getting any reenforcements from their homeland, its going to be tough for the Spaniards to win a battle of attrition against the Incas on their home turf.

True. The Spanish do have cores in the Americas so there's no reason why they couldn't expand their army there, but they seem to be reluctant to do so. They simply build more troops in Europe and struggle to transport them during wartime. Since that's the case, I can just wait them out and look for a weakness even if the battles go as badly as they have.

Hehe, all those Hardy Seamen of the old landlocked Inca... :D

Mr. Gretzky played for our team first - take that, other hockey teams. :D

Heck, we have his name on the "Welcome to Sault Ste. Marie" sign.

No wonder. Wayne's definitely the first name that comes into mind, and well, it doesn't get much better than that. :cool: But he's only a part of it: the city's hockey history is an embarrassment of riches whether you look at people hailing from there or the Greyhounds alumni. Just too many to name, but of the former I have to mention Phil Esposito - I'm a huge Bruins fan so I can obviously appreciate what he did. ;)

The defeats make the war a bit more realistic, which is nice.

True. I'm very happy that I still have to be careful here. :) That's rare when you're 300 years in, but I suppose starting in the New World helped. :D

Looks like the Spanish are still a competent force on land.

That they are. Of course, I'm playing against both the Spanish and the TI here, so that helps them in avoiding unfavorable battles.

You could do with more troops up north. Spanish troops may be present in even greater numbers. I suspect they are.

Yeah I could, but there's not much more I could spare. With everything more or less done in the south, I now have some reinforcements on the way.

Ah, maybe in the north the Spanish decided not to be impressed by the light of your Sun-God, but finally made their own ligths, as in you meeting their matches (or something like that ;) ).

Hmm, very punny. :D

I Agree...The Great Inca are not so great as to never suffer defear

Apparently not. :eek: But that indeed makes it more realistic and interesting.

Armies of the golden sun shall push the evil white men back behind Mississippi!
Why did their King decide to roam in Mesoamerica? Homefront boring? :D

Maybe, or maybe he just likes the climate or something. :D I'll do my best with the pushing back part.

Excellent updates with some good battles and defeats. I'm curious to see how 300 years have affected the world, perhaps a world wide retrospective?

Thanks! Hmm, I could of course go through the world a bit, but I'm not sure what you mean by retrospective here - I've seen the rest of the world for like 60 years so there's not much material there. ;) Suggestions are welcome.

Indeed, very good update... with its share of good and less good news.

I second Omen's request. :p

Thanks. :) Again, feel free to suggest what it could include, I'll post some maps if nothing else...

Excellent as always, Malurous! I agree, the occasional defeat makes the war more realistic...though it is a bit worrying.

Iberia looks like a royal mess. I'd also like to see a look around the world when you find a good point to do so.

Cheers! :) Worrying maybe, but their reluctance to build troops in the Americas makes it a whole lot safer.

Not that much has changed around the world lately, but I'll go through the map and show any points of interest.

Very nice update. I hope your war against those heathens from over the sea will end well. How is your badboy status, anyway? Any chance of taking big chunks from Spain?

Thanks! There's next to no badboy, so as long as I stick to Colonialism CB enabled provinces, that doesn't really limit me. The goal when I started this war was to take the Central American provinces and at least close to half Spanish South America. We'll see what the final peace deal ends up being.