• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Just caught up once more, some very good updates. Your recent warring has proven amaizing! Uhm...sorry, that really was bad. I thought this line especially good from the updates;

...and days later Tollan-Chohollan in the central part applies for status as a full Inca province with just over 500 earthquake deaths. Sorry, that's a pathetic number by our standards.

Glad to see such stringent and understandable requirements are being demanded of provinces wishing to become core possessions!

You need QftNW for colonists in this mod don't you? I guess it'll depend on your colonist gain rate - if that's low then you could stockpile colonists while you westernise and only deploy the minimum number to avoid waste.

You pretty much need either QFTNW or a considerably higher trade tech level than I have. I'll get colonists soon, but not fast enough to get even a single province done before I'll have QFTNW no matter what.

The question is whether or not I want a head start on colonization for the price of more hassle for westernization as well as six stab hits for changing out two national ideas that I'll want back soon. The more I think about it, the more constantly I'm changing my mind! :D I'm going to make a decision the next time I play, so we'll see soon enough.

Thanks, that should give everyone the approximate framework for MEIOU colonization. Like I mentioned, you do get some colonists even without the ideas when your Trade tech is high enough, but you won't get a significant amount before it's too late. And of course the Ideas are required for exploration.

I was being tongue in cheek: the Inca would of course assume that everyone else has volcanoes too .:)

Yeah, but there has definitely been enough wacky stuff going on that Incas are starting to question their assumptions. I mean, just a few short decades ago the Incas even assumed that horses couldn't swim from Mexico to Peru! :D Not to mention the communication lines... :rofl:

Fortunately that's easy to check. Just count the amount of bling he wears.

Good point. No need for ID to check nationality as we've pretty much monopolized that stuff in these parts. :D Thanks for bringing that up, I'd almost forgotten about the whole bling-bling angle from the early going. ;)

The rap industry is an Incan front! 50 Cent is the True Inca!

Hehe, welcome! :)

ooohhh corn. How fascinating! :p

Isn't it. I've sure milked that subject enough for these updates. :p Not for much longer however... :eek:

I'd say something...:D
But my corn pops are popping.
And my pommes frites are frying...
All hail the mighty Inca

Hear hear!

Just caught up once more, some very good updates. Your recent warring has proven amaizing! Uhm...sorry, that really was bad.

Thanks! Or amaizeing, even? And hey, that's high quality! If you don't believe me, compare that to the puns in the Baar AAR thread. :D (Though I have to admit that I might have been guilty of some of the worst crap in there... :rofl:) But it might have been a bit corny, I'll give you that. :cool:

Glad to see such stringent and understandable requirements are being demanded of provinces wishing to become core possessions!

Sure. Imagine how the good ol' South American Incas would feel if the newcomers were allowed to have an easier time?

Colonising those losing population provinces seems a decent plan and colonizing the whole of south america is something to do whilst waiting for the game to give you a ruler who can westernize.

It is a good point in favor of colonizing ASAP that there's plenty to colonize. We'll see soon enough what I end up doing. :)

Chapter Thirty-three
1561-1565

Now that I have the national focus in the Maya lands, I decide to send a missionary to Uxmal. The chance is not great, but it's better now with the focus bonus and it would be great to get such a rich province converted.

I check my maize provinces in the ledger. None left in South America, so all that I have now should continue producing the resource. Chances are we won't have to worry about maize anymore after this update. :D

April sees some success on the conversion front.

35_01.jpg

That's another of the not-so-prosperous provinces chosen because of the high probability of success. I send another missionary to a similar province, Laman'an Ai.

With Land Reforms done in June in the provinces where I can take them now, I start building some roads in the rich Maya lands as well as in some mid-level provinces. These are areas where I'll want them eventually and while they aren't really necessary now, my magistrates would otherwise only go to waste at this time.

Laman'an Ai is a quick learner.

35_02.jpg

That's in July - only three months after I sent the missionary.

I've been cursing Pachacutecs in advance lately as heirs with that name are beginning to have quite a track record of dying before reaching the throne. I've probably had as many guys named Pachacutec as Tupac Yupanqui, but for some reason I've only had one Pachacutec on the throne while there have been five Tupac Yupanquis. So now that I have an heir named Pachacutec, guess what happens to him?

35_03.jpg

Wow, didn't see that coming.

After a quiet half a year, April 1562 sees a cultural conversion.

35_04.jpg

It's a bit of a scare, but I don't lose Chimu as accepted. So it's good stuff after all.

May sees a bit of suspense: I'm building another army to further solidify the Portuguese border, and one of the newly built regiments is moving through Tikal towards the new army when the province rebels. Reinforcements won't arrive early enough, so can the green troops survive the onslaught of 10000 Maya Nationalists until they can retreat? :eek:

35_05.jpg

Wohoo! Go new recruits! :D Couldn't help showing this as that's a rarity, most of these low-morale single regiments get wiped out after all.

Trade tech 13 is reached in October, taking me one pretty short level away from some goodies.

35_06.jpg

A new heir is born in May 1563 (is it just me or do all of my heirs come into this world on the first of May?). Nice name, not so nice ADM... :(

35_07.jpg

A slider move becomes available in August. My agenda has been Free Subjects lately, so I don't think and move to +1.

35_08.jpg

I immediately realize that with colonists coming soon, I should have started moving towards Expansionism. Drat. As I made some moves earlier I'm Expansionist enough to get colonists, but my growth rates absolutely suck.

I've previously built some workshops in the rich Maya lands, but in October I decide that it's time to build them everywhere that's not distant overseas - I'll build them eventually anyway so might as well start getting the bonuses now. I even entertain the idea of building them in distant overseas for the PE bonus, but decide not to for now.

The summer of 1564 is a veritable storm of rebellion. Nothing I can't handle, but it seems that these guys really don't want me to be in position to DoW Tlacopan when the truce ends. So in order to do just that, I have to go to the extreme measures of moving additional troops from the eastern part to the western part.

35_09.jpg

Tlacopan has one army of 13000 men. General Quilaco moves in to dislodge it from the capital and succeeds on September 21st. He chases to Xilotepec, so this happens on the 10th.

35_10.jpg

Hmm, that was pretty simple. All five of Tlacopan's provinces are under siege by the 13th, an Adamsian 42 days after the start of the war.

While waiting for the sieges to finish, I get Trade tech 14 in February 1565.

35_11.jpg

And with it, the first modest colonization possibility opens.

35_12.jpg

I'm of course glad to finally get colonists, but with numbers like that, it's going to take about a century to colonize one province in case every colonist succeeds. I might have to do better than that.

In the same month, Meztitlan - the Tlacopan province dying a slow death - is the first to fall, while Xilotepec surrenders later in the month.

Azcaptzalco follows in September and Wixaritari and Tlacopan days apart in October. I make peace for maize province Wixaritari and remaining Teotl province Azcaptzalco, as well as their treasury of 65 ducats.

35_13.jpg

So, why take a province that I have no use for (funny to say that about a gold province...)? I mentioned a screwup earlier, and that was force converting Tlacopan. I figured that getting provinces converted for free would be great, but I failed to take into account that while Inti is sorta pagan, Teotl is REALLY pagan. So, as I've already done with a couple of provinces, I can actually culture convert these provinces to Quechua by converting them to Inti myself. Fortunately, I only caused this problem for two provinces now that I've removed the others from Tlacopan.

When the next month starts, we get this:

35_14.jpg

For good, I hope.

[...]
Thanks, that should give everyone the approximate framework for MEIOU colonization. Like I mentioned, you do get some colonists even without the ideas when your Trade tech is high enough, but you won't get a significant amount before it's too late. And of course the Ideas are required for exploration.
[...]
Hope, I didn't bore either the audience or you (or even both).

BTW, would you mind posting a screenie of your sliders? I'm curious about them.

Yours,
AdL

You do get to have wars because you force converted Tlacopan. Had you taken the dying province, you could send a colonist there to convert it and make it Inti culture. Then it would have started gaining population, hopefuly.

Looks like this heir ought to have a hunting accident lined up or made ageneral to go fight rebels.

At that colonists expansion rate, you'll not have the problem of wasting them. You could start a northwards trail, maybe an advisor or a rush of colonists to help push Incan lands to the Portuguese holdings.

You'll probably culturaly assimilate all of south america and have rebel fun as you lose accepted cultures along the way.

I'd have expected other european nations to have established colonies near Incan lands. Perhaps, as you only need one western province as a negihbour, taking Portuguese territory would encourage Portugal to create more colonies?

Colonists make for a nice landmark in this AAR. Have you still got some colonial provinces after all the earthquakes?

If the heir's still young you could luck out and get a Admin 6+ regency.

Ok.... for the hunting accident, MEIOU is by no way responsible !

:D

For colonists, you'll have to continue increasing your trade tech. For reminder,
here is a reference sheet about the availlability of colonists depending on trade tech level and national ideas. Two aspects not shown in the sheet is the dependancy on the population (ok, i might have given you a setback there :eek:o) and on your expansionism slider.

A new heir is born in May 1563 (is it just me or do all of my heirs come into this world on the first of May?). Nice name, not so nice ADM... :(

Good stuff, a shame regarding the heir though. Although the solution seems clear; 'Upon learning that their son and heir to the throne was no administrative genius, his parents began calling the young boy Pachacutecs at all times.'

Good stuff, a shame regarding the heir though. Although the solution seems clear; 'Upon learning that their son and heir to the throne was no administrative genius, his parents began calling the young boy Pachacutecs at all times.'
Funny guy...don't you have an update to do???

Nice to see the Inca continue to maize even if they are confronted by the Portuguese and smashing Tlacopan.
Looking forward to the destruction of the Tlacopani and I'm surprised that the Portuguese haven't done anything
overly aggressive...yet.

Hope, I didn't bore either the audience or you (or even both).

Certainly not, you saved me the effort of explaining. ;)

BTW, would you mind posting a screenie of your sliders? I'm curious about them.

No problem, I'll grab one the next time I play.

You do get to have wars because you force converted Tlacopan.

That's a good point - nothing like screwing up to make sure you don't run out of stuff to do! :D

Had you taken the dying province, you could send a colonist there to convert it and make it Inti culture. Then it would have started gaining population, hopefuly.

Not even close to enough, that will have to wait until I'm colonizing full steam. I'll show my current growth rates in the update.

Looks like this heir ought to have a hunting accident lined up or made ageneral to go fight rebels.

So true! Too bad that I have to wait for him to grow up before he can lead an army...

At that colonists expansion rate, you'll not have the problem of wasting them. You could start a northwards trail, maybe an advisor or a rush of colonists to help push Incan lands to the Portuguese holdings.

Yeah the northwards trail is the initial plan. Again, an advisor doesn't have enough of an effect on growth rates to make colonization feasible just yet.

You'll probably culturaly assimilate all of south america and have rebel fun as you lose accepted cultures along the way.

Could very well be. Lots of provinces assimilated already after all...

I'd have expected other european nations to have established colonies near Incan lands. Perhaps, as you only need one western province as a negihbour, taking Portuguese territory would encourage Portugal to create more colonies?

AFAIK they're colonizing all the time - they started next to my Central American holdings and their border has now disappeared to the TI.

There should also be colonies in Brazil by now, but it's a long way to my South American lands from there.

Colonists make for a nice landmark in this AAR. Have you still got some colonial provinces after all the earthquakes?

No, either back to city status or dead. :D And if I did this wouldn't make them any easier to "correct" because of the growth rate penalty.

If the heir's still young you could luck out and get a Admin 6+ regency.

That's what I was hoping for too - no such luck. :(

Colonists? That many? 30 brave warriors sent yearly to the jungles? :D

Something like that. And a handful of them would even be alive still when the next 30 go in. :p

It won't take long until theres European rush for colonies

Edit: Did you miss me ;)

There is already, but of course there will be more. I think England being in trouble for most of the game (or that's what I gather from the rather obscure intelligence that my diplomats give me) may slow it down some.

Certainly, who wouldn't? ;)

Ok.... for the hunting accident, MEIOU is by no way responsible !

:D

At least there's some such thing! :D

For colonists, you'll have to continue increasing your trade tech. For reminder, here is a reference sheet about the availlability of colonists depending on trade tech level and national ideas. Two aspects not shown in the sheet is the dependancy on the population (ok, i might have given you a setback there :eek:o) and on your expansionism slider.

Yeah, I know the system pretty well, and that file has had a permanent spot on my hard disk for a while. ;) With my current trade tech I can already do enough if I get QFTNW - I should get close to four colonists a year and the death rate will decrease as well.

I was cursing my absentmindedness when I last had a slider move for exactly that reason... :eek:o At least in my version, it's dependent on simply land force limits, not population, and it's definitely not a setback. I should get the maximum or very close to it when it comes to the force limit, thanks to a good number of provinces, a feudal government type, and a nice amount of maize. :D

Thanks for the link anyway, and any readers interested in the mechanics should certainly check it out!

Ah, the waiting game. But with even slow colonisation you might try to cut off Europeans from the eastern coast of North America.

I can't really worry about that yet - connecting my two lands HAS to be the priority for a multitude of reasons, most importantly getting rid of the distant overseas modifiers. And despite the benefits of cutting off the Europeans, throwing them out when I'm a strong westernized nation will be way easier than trying to keep them out now...

Wow. So, all you need is a king with a good ADM?

Yeah, so once again we have a waiting game that I can't do anything about. :( But everything else is in place. :)

Cheers! Hehe, would it be cheating if I edited the save file but the only change was the heir name? :D

Nice to see the Inca continue to maize even if they are confronted by the Portuguese and smashing Tlacopan.
Looking forward to the destruction of the Tlacopani and I'm surprised that the Portuguese haven't done anything
overly aggressive...yet.

While it's fitting that there was this whole big maize episode, seeing that maize had some kind of a divine status for the Inca (it's believed that the insanely long lived Manco Capac introduced the cultivation of maize), I'm pleased with it being over. :D

Tlacopan will be destroyed some time after 1590 (when most of Mesoamerica cores). Portugal has indeed been quiet. I don't know why they didn't do anything early on when they had the chance.

Chapter Thirty-four
1565-1568

I've made up my mind regarding the colonization strategy. I'll start when I reach Government tech 15, as that way I don't have to lose Military Drill, and I only lose the three stab for changing an Idea once (important as it takes some time to recover with the Overextension modifier). At some point before getting that Idea slot, I will switch Bureaucracy to Merchant Adventures and regain the lost stability.

Sweet - with the Major Grain Producer modifier we're actually just under the land force limit. No more paying extra!

After a year without major events, Tupac Yupanqui V kicks the bucket in December 1566. Heir Yahuar Hacuac is only three years old, so...

36_01.jpg

So, after eight years of an ADM 3 regency for an ADM 5 ruler who was on the throne for 18 years, we get a 13-year ADM 5 regency for an ADM 5 heir. Looking promising as far as westernization goes.

Tupac Yupanqui V managed to do stuff besides converting Bio Bio and taking cultural decisions - he oversaw the creation of the Imperial Administration, as well as two wars against Tlacopan.

36_02.jpg

In May 1567 we get what we've been looking for in the technology department.

36_03.jpg

QFTNW is now available. As an immediate action we start building marketplaces in the richer half of our provinces.

Also, new triggered modifiers for producing resources fire at Trade 15. We get some minor bonuses for our sugar provinces...

36_04.jpg

...and some significant ones for our plethora of cacao provinces!

36_05.jpg

After a few months of biding my time I decide to waste some cash to get a screenshot for demonstrative purposes. A colonist is dispatched to Tumaco, the first vacant province north of our South American holdings, to show a colony at my tech level and without supporting Ideas or sliders...

36_06.jpg

That's at maximum colony maintenance. It doesn't take heavy math to understand what this leads to: as I get a colonist every three or four years (the amount varies somewhat), most people will die before I can send more in. It would take dozens of colonists to get this puppy up and running.

I minimize colonial maintenance - the Demonstrative Colony of Tumaco should die out soon enough. The people claim that this isn't what they signed up for.

We get lucky in mid-August:

36_07.jpg

Very nice! At something like 7 % chance it's fortunate to get this in six years. It's very good to convert such a rich province to Inti and Quechua.

November has Tlacopan struggling with some Nationalist rebels. I ask for, and on the second try get, military access despite bad relations and go help them out. I don't want a new nation in their second province.

However, as Tlacopan doesn't seem to be willing to move troops through the dead (recently uncolonized) province to their dying third province, I decide to let it stay occupied by the rebels just out of curiosity. I want to see if those 63 people actually start their own tribe. :D

We finish our mission in March 1568.

36_08.jpg

With this, I send a new missionary to Chichen Itza. Another very rich province, I also want it converted while the national focus is in the area, just like Uxmal was. Aside from the obvious benefits I can also build Glorious Monuments in these provinces as they end up being high tax Quechua provinces.

I also get a new mission:

36_09.jpg

The Imperial Palace of Cuzco. One of the regency council members, natural scientist Tupac Hualpa Chalcuchima, is having a discussion with an important Inca priest.

Tupac Hualpa Chalcuchima: "So let me get this straight, you asked the deities for advice and they not only said that we need to build ships, which we have no idea how to do, but actually placed restrictions on ship type to boot? Where's the need for that, are they just making fun of the fact that we don't know how to build ships?"

Priest: "I don't like your tone. Their advice has always been great, and besides, it's not for humans to question."

Tupac Hualpa Chalcuchima: "Sure, I'm not doubting that, after all it's the foundation of our society. But I'm sure you know perfectly well that this particular piece of advice cannot be acted upon, not in our nation as it stands now."

Priest: "I'm not going to do any mundane interpretation of this. Look, when I got this advice I did everything by the book: I prayed at the sacred site, I sacrificed the child..."

Tupac Hualpa Chalcuchima: "Hmm, child sacrifice... Try sacrificing the heir next time if you want us to have a chance to learn shipbuilding."

Priest: "I'm just going to ignore that. But like I was saying, everything was done like it should be, and this is definitely what our deities want us to do."

Tupac Hualpa Chalcuchima: "Umm... I don't suppose there's a chance that we could, like, just cancel this task and ask them for a new one?"

Priest: "In the history of Cuzco and the Inca Empire, no mission from the deities has ever been ignored like that. Our Sapa Incas and councils have always strived to do what they were told to do, some succeeding and others failing."

Tupac Hualpa Chalcuchima: "I didn't ask for a history lesson. I asked if it's possible."

Priest: "Yeah sure, I don't see why not. I'll have a little chat with the ol' deities and ask for some other task. Guards! See that fat kid in the alley? Bring him in!"

Moments later...

Tupac Hualpa Chalcuchima: "Yuck, what a mess."

Priest: "Yeah I suppose it is. I'm so used to it that I wouldn't know. I guess you should get some servant to clean up. Oh and while you're at it, send a missionary to Oztoman, will ya?"