• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It's annoying that you can trade with the Europeans, but can't get a border with them. Divine Wind will limit this by introducing trade range, but for now you've just got to put up with these high-tech interlopers.

True, it's a smart change.

What would you do if you inherited Tenochtitlan tomorrow? Are the Portuguese still happy to sit in their new colonies and wait for you?

Feel joy? :D Okay seriously, recruiting as many men as I can as fast as I can would be the first step, followed by going after Tlacopan I guess to build more of a power base in the area. Upgrading the forts would be a priority too. Then seek to convert some provinces while working towards overpowering Uxmal to get to the Portuguese. This would have to be quick in order to still have high ADM people handy. Then hope that we have peace long enough to westernize properly. But of course we'll see what the circumstances are if/when inheritance happens.

Yeah, the Portuguese are mostly silent. I suppose European wars play a part in that.

Nooo why did your heir do a barrel roll ;_;

That's what happens to heirs in EU III, especially potentially excellent rulers with high legitimacy. :p At least the new one has a proper ADM score too.

Roll out the barrel?
The waiting game continues0

It does. However, there's some excitement to come in a decade or so...

Is legitimacy not about how foreign courts view your rulers claim to the throne?

That and how your own nobility views it I guess. That's why you get a pretender when a low legitimacy ruler takes the throne.

Also, it does affect the foreign relations as it means I'm not able to claim thrones. :( I have no neighbors but I still do have foreign relations in that sense.

Nice AAR. I want to see the final showdown with the heathen europeans. :D

Thanks! Yeah, me too! :D

I see you have plans to build roads. Why? You don't know the wheel. Building forsts and troops sounds like you 'll need even more in your treasury than you have now.
Looking forward to the excitement. Hope whoever you inherit is not an anti-climax.

How did you get an ADM 9 heir?! I've never ever gotten a monarch with a 9 in anything in IN or HTTT. The weak legitimacy is a small price to pay. However, I bet he'll last about two minutes more than a sane Mesoamerican border.

This is my personal opinion, but I wouldn't burn 4200 ducats on roads. MEIOU roads don't provide any more bonus than vanilla roads so they aren't worth 100 ducats per province. I'd save the money for troops.

Out of curiosity, how many monarchs have died since you got the PU with Tenochtitlan?

I sense an update :D

Either your sense is faulty or it's so good that it can feel an update a day or two in advance. :D

Kind of random, but generals (at least in vanilla) tend to be ridiculously short lived. Any good general I buy dies within 3 years.

Yeah, I get that sense a lot too. I had some general for decades in this AAR (one of the early ones, Parinango or someone), but lately they've been dropping like flies whenever I've actually recruited them. Kills the tradition...

>;D <--- Smile of evil Finnish

Righto! :D

I see you have plans to build roads. Why? You don't know the wheel. Building forsts and troops sounds like you 'll need even more in your treasury than you have now.
Looking forward to the excitement. Hope whoever you inherit is not an anti-climax.

Who said anything about inheriting? :p Of course, hopefully at some point.

Hehe, good point about no wheel - I suppose that we have so many European merchants etc. traipsing around that they need the roads.

How did you get an ADM 9 heir?! I've never ever gotten a monarch with a 9 in anything in IN or HTTT. The weak legitimacy is a small price to pay. However, I bet he'll last about two minutes more than a sane Mesoamerican border.

:rofl: Love the joke!

It's rare but it happens. You see it in AARs every now and then...

This is my personal opinion, but I wouldn't burn 4200 ducats on roads. MEIOU roads don't provide any more bonus than vanilla roads so they aren't worth 100 ducats per province. I'd save the money for troops.

They pay for themselves surprisingly fast in rich provinces. Though you probably have a point that I shouldn't build them in poor ones (except for the ones needed for connections between rich ones, of course). I'll have to do some calculations but the rich provinces are no-brainers. Overall, it's possible that I have too much of a "build everything" mindset for MEIOU - a vanilla habit.

Out of curiosity, how many monarchs have died since you got the PU with Tenochtitlan?

The latest chapter had the fourth death I believe. There will be more...

As soon as you started making plans over that heir's stats I knew he would die - it's a secret algorithm of Paradox: the MTTH of an heir's death is reduced everytime you look at him, if his stats are good... :rofl:

You don't need the wheel to make good use of mountain roads, pedestrians and llamas made good use of them, as did the famous Incan relay runners, who could deliver messages across large distances very efficiently. But I agree that forts and troops seem more of a priority.

Huzzah for Mesoamerican consolidation! Also, your luck with inheriting has been awful. Have you signed an alliance with them, guaranteed them, given them military access? That could improve the odds.

I think you should chance to Noble Republic no regencys :D

Heh, I'd sure welcome becoming something like that - I need the Euros to get out of tribal after all...

As soon as you started making plans over that heir's stats I knew he would die - it's a secret algorithm of Paradox: the MTTH of an heir's death is reduced everytime you look at him, if his stats are good... :rofl:

Haha, that's so true! :D I don't buy all those conspiracy theories about bad rulers living longer, but when it comes to heirs ALL of them die so often that you certainly can't plan on the guy taking the throne at some point.

You don't need the wheel to make good use of mountain roads, pedestrians and llamas made good use of them, as did the famous Incan relay runners, who could deliver messages across large distances very efficiently. But I agree that forts and troops seem more of a priority.

True. Thanks for the link. ;)

Huzzah for Mesoamerican consolidation! Also, your luck with inheriting has been awful. Have you signed an alliance with them, guaranteed them, given them military access? That could improve the odds.

Pretty much everything. All of those are essentially free bribes, so I've done them.

Awwwwww. :( I always got this impression that AuthAARs makes updates after they reply to the comments :p

I guess most do, but certainly not everyone. Most give feedback before the update, some reply to comments when they see them, I guess I do something in between. ;) Depends on the schedule really.

Chapter Twenty-five
1508-1520

In June I need to promote another general as the Sapa Inca isn't fighting now as there's a danger of regency. General Auqui-Huaman in 4/3/3/2.

This doesn't help as Tupac Yupanqui III kicks the bucket in August, giving us an A/D/M 6/7/4 regency for an heir that just turned one. This will take a while.

27_01.jpg

The low MIL score and legitimacy combine to give us a negative infamy limit. "Fortunately", I have no use for infamy anyway. As for legitimacy, I can't increase it unless I hire another Grand Marshal, which I won't do. Also, there aren't enough countries around to get enough royal marriages for a legitimacy gain.

The deceased Sapa Inca's history is unsurprising:

27_02.jpg

I very soon notice how silent it is: after the Pretender from a low legitimacy heir, I get no rebels as the regency stops the tribal events.

By June 1509, I've fully covered the Empire with Land Enclosures. The southern part is so poor that I got none there, but still they have a nice enough effect especially in the CoT provinces.

In the same month I get a slider move and decide to go for Theocracy vs. Secularism, maxing the slider.

27_03.jpg

While the PE penalty hurts a bit, this offsets my high Innovativeness and gives me a small Missionary income again.

Our Treasurer dies in September, and I notice something interesting:

27_04.jpg

Seems that our other forms of income have increased enough to diminish the gold inflation a lot. This means that I can get a different type of advisor.

The replacement is surprising.

A meeting chamber in the Incan Grand Marshal's offices. Grand Marshal Taraque Huaypalcon, doubling as a member of Tupac Yupanqui IV's regency council, is meeting with a guard captain from the northern province of Tumbes. Also present is the scientist Usca Curiatao Quintiraura, another council member.

Captain: "So, what are we going to do with the man?"

Huaypalcon: "I see your concerns. Technically, he's done nothing wrong, but this sure seems suspicious. An ordinary fisherman disappearing like that and coming back with all that information?"

Captain: "He is being straightforward though - he readily admitted that he was captured out in the sea during the war and spent two decades with the Portuguese. He never tried to hide that."

Huaypalcon: "Despite being honest about it, he has fraternized with the enemy. He's even converted to their heathen faith. He has no place in the Empire, but we need to find just grounds for imprisoning or exiling him."

Quintiraura: "Not so fast. If you don't mind me saying, I see him more as an opportunity - a resource - than a threat."

Huaypalcon: "What do you mean by that? How could anything good come out of something like this? The man is practically a traitor!"

Quintiraura: "How so? I don't think he has betrayed us in any way. By all accounts, the Portuguese still have no idea where we are, for instance. Had he been at Portugal's disposal for information, wouldn't their troops be here already?"

Captain: "It's true that he hasn't betrayed us. Based on the interrogation - and our intelligence supports this - he hasn't given the enemy anything. However, we have reason to believe that even he has no idea how to move between the two regions. Apparently, he just wandered in the jungle for several years and stumbled back to our lands."

Huaypalcon: "But he's a heathen, he turned his back on Inti!"

Quintiraura: "It's not like we don't have any precedents. We still have some Pantheists in our lands, and some of the gifted ones are in pretty important positions in the Empire to boot."

Huaypalcon: "Still, why take the chance? We have nothing to gain from a fisherman."

Quintiraura: "From your typical fisherman, no. But this man has learned a lot from the Portuguese. I spoke with him and he has knowledge beyond that of our top scientists - other than me, that is - especially in military matters. It's something we can maybe eventually use against the Portuguese. I suggest we not only let him stay but hire him on as an advisor for the government."

Huaypalcon: "What?!?"

Quintiraura: "You have to understand how much we have to gain here. And there's actually good reason to trust him, he's from an old and reputable family."

Huaypalcon: "Very well then. But he's on a short leash. If there's any trouble..."

27_05.jpg

So in game terms, the advisor type has been available all the time but I didn't think it was proper to take it before I had some Christians in these parts. I couldn't afford an ordinary Land Tech advisor as I don't have army tradition, so this is the next best thing and with a low cultural tradition cost as a bonus.

Also, some people believe that Diplomatic Skill helps inheritance. I'm not sure I believe that but it sounds logical considering Austrian inheritances and their Habsburg Dominance modifier. So, having this opportunity I'm not going to leave that stone unturned.

In February 1510, Chibcha Achagua becomes Quechuan.

27_06.jpg

This is excellent - there's no con here as Chibcha wasn't accepted anyway. That's one of the revolt risk provinces gone.

Kaminaljuyu is the next Portuguese province to embrace Catholicism.

The Uxmal-Mixtecalt war ends with Mixtecalt ceding a province and becoming an OPM vassal.

27_07.jpg

We have fortification issues in Cajamarca in November. Handling it is simple as we have little else to spend magistrates on right now.

Uxmal lacks an heir for the first time IIRC. However, 50 legitimacy is required to claim a throne and we won't have that any time soon. :mad:

After some quiet years, plan B in case of no inheritance takes another step forward in February 1513:

27_08.jpg

Still eight levels to go until I can do anything however...

Monthly income from trade (ten merchants placed in total) increases from 0.1 ducats to 0.8. Impressive.

April 1515 brings more fortification issues, this time in Huilliche. We're beginning to know the drill by now...

Four years later, Shipibo has fortification issues. Same old - oh but it isn't. I actually can't establish an engineering bureau in a colony. I have to flat out repair the fortification instead, paying cash.

27_09.jpg

After the small delay of vassalization, Central America becomes a three tribe region in November 1520.

27_10.jpg

27_11.jpg

Pretty!

Oh, and does anyone notice anything else new in that shot? Something major. Just checking if you guys are paying attention. ;)

Something to do with Portugal?

Yes. Care to elaborate? :D

As an aside, it frightens me to think how shocked FinnishFish must be when he sees my posting times. :eek: ;)

Portugal built a colony. They now have 6 provinces instead of 5.

The Portuguese expanded. They look bigger now.

Yes! And what makes it important is the part that I bolded here. That's the first time they've colonized, so far they had only taken provinces from others. Hopefully they'll continue, that would make any plan B in case of no inheritance easier. :)

As an aside, it frightens me to think how shocked FinnishFish must be when he sees my posting times. :eek: ;)

Do you know what good night sleeps mean >8(
I might have to teach you it one way or the other (Insert evil face here)

Ps. Im not gonna insert evil face there because im actually writing this message throught my Ps3 xD