• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I have to say that events in Mesomarica are quite confusing - all the seizing of provinces, alliances creating and shattering....hopefully in next update you will end the mess - or Hernan Cortez finally shows up and brings peace to that place:D.

A war in meso-america that doesn't involve your PU'd national is interesting. Equally, the requests for the Inca to visit is a hopeful sign. I'm looking forward to your inheriting the Aztecs. And the coming of the Europeans.

Shame your current Inca didn't inherit. The next one ... Keep the scissors handy.

Well 1471 seems awfully early for the Europeans to show up. My money is on inheritance. Should be fun seeing what a rich, stable Inca empire can do intervening in Central America.

It does seem unfair that your northern subjects are unhappy that you're not visiting enough, given the impossible logistics involved.

Yes! An update! Though the foreshadowing is ominous. Hopefully it means you inherit, though it could mean strange ships on the horizon.

Glad to see the enthusiasm! :D I thought that I shouldn't keep you people waiting too long for this one as the previous updates were longer apart than usually.

We'll see what that foreshadowing was about...

I have to say that events in Mesomarica are quite confusing - all the seizing of provinces, alliances creating and shattering....hopefully in next update you will end the mess - or Hernan Cortez finally shows up and brings peace to that place:D.

Yeah, gotta hope that something changes or my GIMP's palette might run out of pink! :D

In these wars that don't have Tenochtitlan fighting, I've decided to just tell the results here even though I'm following them closely, as the seizing sure is relentless.

As far as alliances go, there aren't that many. There's just a very comprehensive web of warnings and guarantees - that's why the defensive side always has such an advantage in these wars.

A war in meso-america that doesn't involve your PU'd national is interesting. Equally, the requests for the Inca to visit is a hopeful sign. I'm looking forward to your inheriting the Aztecs. And the coming of the Europeans.

Shame your current Inca didn't inherit. The next one ... Keep the scissors handy.

Will do! And I'm looking forward to the same things as well.

Well 1471 seems awfully early for the Europeans to show up. My money is on inheritance. Should be fun seeing what a rich, stable Inca empire can do intervening in Central America.

It does seem unfair that your northern subjects are unhappy that you're not visiting enough, given the impossible logistics involved.

True - I think they might just be milking me for cash. :p

You better inherit soon and clean up that mess up North; before somebody else comes with their broom (and before I lose track who is who completely). :)

:rofl: I might have to do a Central American map with names. The majors should be obvious as the names are on the maps but the ever-changing OPM's can be confusing. In fact, the latest war was a rarity as it DIDN'T end with the original attacker becoming an OPM...

Enjoying the AAR. Subscribed!

Silly question: how many more levels of Naval tech would it take to build transports? Alternatively, couldn't you just march troops (slowly) through uncolonized territory to to a central minor that gives you military access? With a few years of troop build-up, would war be that impractical?

I just spent the last couple of hours reading this most excellent AAR. I look forward to seeing you take the Incans to a new continent. I have to admit that I'm surprised to see Mesoamerica so fragmented. In all my MEIOU games it always unites rather quickly and becomes number wise one of the most powerful countries on the planet. In a Roman Empire game, I shared a border with the Aztecs (from taking the three cocoa provinces on the tip of the Yucatan peninsula). I dominated the Mediterranean, ruled most of India and East Africa, and had half a million men under arms. No power in Europe or any of the great Chinese states were considered a menace, only the Aztecs. The South American tribes were also annoying, since all of them seemed to have alliances with random states in Africa.

Curse your lesser partner for not yet giving you the throne! I love that you have had the 'Subject Country Ignored' event fire twice despite having no means to actually visit the nation. I suppose Titu Cusi Yupanqui I will simply have to learn how to swim!

morningSIDEr said:
Curse your lesser partner for not yet giving you the throne! I love that you have had the 'Subject Country Ignored' event fire twice despite having no means to actually visit the nation. I suppose Titu Cusi Yupanqui I will simply have to learn how to swim!

Swim? What is swim? Surely you mean some elaborate sacrifice to Inti, by which means you pray for the people of your lesser brother in Tenochtitlan? That could count as involvement in their country, I suppose...

I bet Achea conquers you.

I'll take that bet. :D

And now everything will fit your plans ???

Future will show... Can't really say much yet.

Hmm, if you cannot reach Mesoamerica, how could you marry?

What are these diplomats?
Time- and space-travellers?

VERY good questions. Like noted earlier in the thread, they seem to be interested in politics, trade and celebrity gossip. I don't know who'd fit that but I hope to find out. ;)

Regarding marrying, I wonder if the spouses meet each other at some point.

Ah milking for cash

and diplomats that can penetrate...the forbidden zones. Wow, that'd be handy...it would also explain
how such knowledge of the places beyond the great water can be had by some, for a price

Indeed. The way knowledge moves here isn't very logical. There will be more instances of that...

And maybe the Central Americans have actually realized that getting rejected doesn't mean that I'll stop trying a diplomatic action. So they keep refusing to make money. :D

Enjoying the AAR. Subscribed!

I'm glad that you do! :)

Silly question: how many more levels of Naval tech would it take to build transports?

It's not a matter of tech level. Ships aren't available before I get to a more advanced tech group (i.e. westernize at least one step). That's a vanilla mechanic that's made a lot more obvious now that you can actually tech up with these countries.

Alternatively, couldn't you just march troops (slowly) through uncolonized territory to to a central minor that gives you military access? With a few years of troop build-up, would war be that impractical?

War would be practical and fine if it was actually possible to reach the area. ;) There's TI in between and I have no way of exploring that (or colonizing to push it back for that matter). And probably won't have for another 150 years or so unless I can westernize.

I just spent the last couple of hours reading this most excellent AAR. I look forward to seeing you take the Incans to a new continent. I have to admit that I'm surprised to see Mesoamerica so fragmented. In all my MEIOU games it always unites rather quickly and becomes number wise one of the most powerful countries on the planet. In a Roman Empire game, I shared a border with the Aztecs (from taking the three cocoa provinces on the tip of the Yucatan peninsula). I dominated the Mediterranean, ruled most of India and East Africa, and had half a million men under arms. No power in Europe or any of the great Chinese states were considered a menace, only the Aztecs. The South American tribes were also annoying, since all of them seemed to have alliances with random states in Africa.

Thanks for the kind words! And from another MEIOU player, no less. :)

I think Tenochtitlan's ill-timed regency early in the game is what led to the chaos in that area. That caused them to stay small long enough for the web of warnings and guarantees to form. So now, it's mostly a situation where whoever DoWs gets slaughtered as no one nation is powerful enough to topple a coalition of the other tribes.

The first few years of contact will be the danger zone-after westernization, it will be very hard for them to take the Inca down.

Agreed - if I can westernize and even modernize the military, there's no way the Europeans can haul over enough troops to handle me.

I can totally picture the Sapa Inca begging the diplomats to take him with them the next time they make the trip by their unknown means. :D

Come to think of it, it's pretty fun that my merchants know how to get there but they don't want to. So the merchants are like the opposite of the other Incas.

Swim? What is swim? Surely you mean some elaborate sacrifice to Inti, by which means you pray for the people of your lesser brother in Tenochtitlan? That could count as involvement in their country, I suppose...

I'm not entirely sure sacrificing to a (from Tenochtitlan's point of view) heretic god would make them feel any better. :D

Oh, I'm looking to update tomorrow. Last week was quiet so might as well do an extra update to make up for it.

You're waiting for spring already? That seems like a long time to wait. Fortunately, the wait for the update is considerably shorter. :p I was going to post now but noticed an error in a screenshot. I'll rework that and post the chapter (probably in minutes).

Chapter Twenty
1471-1482

We get the Grain Depot event in June 1472, forcing me to pay 50 ducats to keep the improvement.

22_01.jpg

A month later, an Excellent Minister gives us 10 army tradition and 10 navy tradition. Coupled with a Hardy Seamen event a bit later, we have pretty solid navy tradition (almost 20) for a country that doesn't know what a boat is.

Then on May 20th 1473, we have a quite funny series of events.

22_02.jpg

Of course, the death of a Sapa Inca is fun these days. Not inheriting Tenochtitlan isn't, however. To compensate, the other event we get on the same day is:

22_03.jpg

Are these guys a bit slow or something? :p Then again, I guess you could say that dying shows weakness.

Pachacutec is a four-shock but otherwise unremarkable general, but has the Brilliant Strategist trait (+5 % land force limits, +1 % prestige).

Our heir is another Pachacutec (A/D/M 6/3/7).

Titu Cusi Yupanqui's twelve year reign was very silent, though that's not really his fault as he had little to do anyway.

22_04.jpg

At least he, too, had converting Bio Bio to keep him busy.

September sees the start of the next Mesoamerican war. This time Tenochtitlan is involved: Tlaxcala is joined by Mixtecalt and Copan against Teotitlan, which is protected by Tlacopan, Uxmal and Tenochtitlan. Tenochtitlan and Uxmal are the two strongest tribes in the area, so Tlaxcala might be in trouble.

Here's a map for clarity's sake (not that it's going to stay like this for much longer...):

22_05.jpg

So, that's a large continuous Tenochtitlan (green), Tlacopan (brown) in two separate parts in the north, OPM Acolhua (burgundy-ish) in between Tlacopan's parts, Uxmal (purple) in three parts along the northern coast, Tlaxcala (teal) in two parts in the middle, split by OPM Teotitlan (light orange). OPM Mixtecalt (light green) is on the southern coast and Copan (grey) in the southeast. All of this is subject to change. :D

Pachacutec finds himself locked up in the palace for a change - as Tenochtitlan is in a separate war, we can't inherit anyway.

Tlaxcala annexes the OPM Teotitlan in March 1474. Mixtecalt is the second country to leave the war in December as it pays Uxmal 44 ducats for peace.

In January 1475 it turns out that one successful Pachacutec is enough for now.

22_06.jpg

New heir Tupac Hualpa is A/D/M 4/9/3 and has a weak claim.

Just over 6000 people die of plague in Nazca in August 1476. It's been 17 years since the previous natural disaster, one of the longer stretches in this game.

Tenochtitlan, having seized a bunch of Tlaxcala provinces, signs peace in January 1477, forcing the release of a couple of OPM's. The war is over for them.

22_07.jpg

We get workshops in July.

22_08.jpg

Next up, Government technology.

In June 1478, we notice a worrying development in formerly Copan Quirigua.

22_09.jpg

Okay, that's a bit early. I wish I'd inherited before they showed up...

A month later, workshops are finished. Monthly income rises from 100.5 ducats to 107, yearly net gain from 203 to 247 and land force limit from 81 to 97.

Here's a quick look at the MEIOU workshop:

22_12.jpg

Copan, having become an OPM and fighting against Portugal, signs white peace with Uxmal in October 1479. That doesn't help as the tribe is annexed by Portugal in February 1480.

We get Government tech level 9 in June.

Tlaxcala and Tlacopan finally sign white peace in January 1481. Tlaxcala was actually allowed to keep two provinces! They're still at war with Uxmal but they shouldn't be able to reach each other.

22_10.jpg

The new green in the east is a bit unpleasant...

That war is still technically going on in March when Acolhua attacks Tlacopan, which is protected by Uxmal. Apparently, Acolhua is hoping that they can take care of the northern parts of Uxmal and Tlacopan as they then wouldn't have a border.

Tlaxcala white peaces with Uxmal in January 1482, ending that war.

Looking at Tenochtitlan the next month, I'm not amused.

22_11.jpg

That's just good news now Teno will lose some provinces to them then you inherite Teno and Bingo!!! U have Western nation as your neightbour.
Then it's just time to Westernise ^^