• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I imagine how you must have felt, in my Oman game I kept losing claims to Haasa, which I hoped to inherit; then all of a sudden I landed in PU with Qara. Due to the distance and Ak's appetite this was more trouble than worth.

Hope you won't have to helplessly watch your new realm being torn apart; you being its only one, far-away ally.

Great news with regards to the PU, hopefully you can bring about a diplomatic annexation at some point. The amount of natural disasters you are suffering from seems pretty ridiculous.

I just read all 16 pages of this. Good job. Hope Euros show up before *too* long - it's 1527 in my MEIOU game (being played in Asia) and no one seems to be interested in the New World except Portugal, which is in Atlantic Canada and not Mesoamerica. Probably differs from game to game, though.

Chapter Eighteen
1455-1460

I immediately start gifting, guaranteeing etc. Tenochtitlan to get relations up. I'm not taking any chances here. If I make sure that relations are great and my army is larger than theirs, the only danger I can see is the warnings they have issued to some of their neighbors.

In June, I get a religious event and choose to be tolerant (I'm guessing it should be Gifted Pantheist).

20_01.jpg

The other option would have helped with missionary cost and missionary chance in exchange for RR penalties, so that makes no sense as everything is Inti already.

I start RM'ing other Central American tribes. I'm done with claiming thrones as long as Tenochtitlan doesn't fail, so I might as well marry everyone I can to get legitimacy boosts and a possible freebie PU or inheritance if I'm really lucky.

In January 1456, the easternmost Acolhua province defects to Maya.

More cores are gained in February:

20_02.jpg

These are the Quito conquest.

Another slider move in April gets us to zero on the Innovative-Narrowminded slider.

We get our second gold rush event in November, granting 400 ducats for a small amount of inflation. Gotta love it, especially as I've just reached zero inflation and am not minting.

Our Grand Marshal dies in April 1457, so we get a new one. Even as a two-star, this type is ridiculous.

20_03.jpg

General Inquill dies in September.

A month later, my fears materialize.

20_04.jpg

Fortunately, Maya and Tenochtitlan have the two largest armies and are on the same side. Still, the fact that Tenochtitlan is between Acolhua and Mixtecalt scares me - can the AI handle the fronts? That's a few too many entry points that are a bit too separate for my liking, while Tlacopan and Uxmal are weak and Maya is far away.

Now I do expect Tenochtitlan to win in the long run - what I'm afraid of is that they have a whole bunch of provinces seized and can't recover them before peace.

I send my junior a ridiculous 20 ducats a month as war subsidies, running a deficit to get that done. At least money shouldn't be an issue for them.

In December, Tilcara cores and I'm able to form Inca Empire.

20_05.jpg

This gets our centralization to what's eventually needed for westernization.

Also, we look quite different:

20_06.jpg

As a bonus, Shipibo seems to get a core via the event despite not being a city and therefore not getting it the usual way.

Pachacamac loses 5900 people to plague in December 1458, and Sharanawa has 1300 deaths of the same cause in February 1459.

Early in the Mesoamerican war, what I feared regarding the many fronts comes to pass as Tenochtitlan loses a bunch of their more remote provinces. However, they start doing a quite smart job with reasonably sized siege stacks, and are even in province count by March 1459 as they reclaim another lost province. It did take a year and a half though, so if alliance leader Maya had been a more trigger happy peace negotiator, some territory would have been lost.

Acolhua still does have a big stack running around Tenochtitlan's northern lands, and the Tenochtitlan AI obviously does some frustrating things, like a real imbecile decision to abandon a siege (that's stolen by Tlacopan) to overrun a small rebel army with almost 20000 men. Nevertheless, I'm not worried anymore as they recovered from the early hits well.

The situation in March:

20_07.jpg

So at this point, Acolhua has lost two provinces (1) to Tenochtitlan and one (2) to Tlacopan, while they've seized two Tenochtitlan provinces (3).

I reduce my subsidies to 10 ducats a month as the junior seems to be doing fine.

General Sotaurco dies in May without that much war heroism to brag about. His replacement, general Quilaco, is a decent three-shock but otherwise questionable.

Late in the year, the Mesoamerican war looks like it's over. Tenochtitlan has grabbed a lot of provinces quickly, and Acolhua is now out of troops. After additional sieging, Maya signs peace with Acolhua in July 1460, ending the war.

20_08.jpg

This war saw another budding power in Acolhua utterly crushed, continuing the cycle of rising and falling tribes in the region. They lose three more of their original provinces (1) to Tenochtitlan while Tenochtitlan also reclaims one of the provinces Acolhua seized during the war (2). Tenochtitlan also grabs two provinces from Mixtecalt (3) to gain a net total of six provinces in the war. Tlacopan also gets a Mixtecalt province (4), leaving that tribe a TPM. Acolhua's OPM status is confirmed by Uxmal conquering two provinces (5), the easternmost of which was a Tenochtitlan province before the war.

20_09.jpg

The situation is certainly looking up. With the Inca Empire formed and leading a Tenochtitlan that now appears strong enough to survive, it's now only a matter of getting the inheritance before it's too late.

To this end, Inca generals start getting some suspicious holidays for the first time in over a century as Tupac Yupanqui II finds himself spearheading all of our rebel hunting efforts...

Okay apologies for being behind schedule here, I was going to post on Friday but RL stuff came up and I haven't even been able to visit the forum, let alone update... Good to see that you guys have been keeping the thread alive nonetheless. :)

I decided to post the update immediately, so feedback comes after it for a change:

No hate attached - it was just one of those diseases that could affact large numbers of native americans fatally.

Yeah I didn't mean there was, it's just that the disease led to no more orgies for everyone, I think that would be reason enough for some disliking. :D

YAY! That is fantastic news.

Indeed. :) It took a while so I was definitely thrilled.

Watch out or im gonna sneeze in one of your soldier and then theres plague knowed as ''Finnish sneeze'' killed aprox everyone of it victim's :D

I'm not scared - we have so many plague deaths already that I doubt that there's room for more. :D

Good luck with that PU! After all those earthquakes it was about time you got back the Blessing of God :)

Hehe, I guess that's one way to view the PU.

I imagine how you must have felt, in my Oman game I kept losing claims to Haasa, which I hoped to inherit; then all of a sudden I landed in PU with Qara. Due to the distance and Ak's appetite this was more trouble than worth.

Yeah PU's can be (of course they can also be an unbelievable handy expansion tool), but in my situation even a risky PU like that is still the only way to keep expanding.

Hope you won't have to helplessly watch your new realm being torn apart; you being its only one, far-away ally.

Not with the cash I'm pumping to them! :rofl: And of course they can't go for the number one reason for Mesoamerican failure: a stupid DoW. With the web of guarantees and warnings in that region, they should be in nice comfy alliances whenever they fight now that they can't be the offender.

Great news with regards to the PU, hopefully you can bring about a diplomatic annexation at some point. The amount of natural disasters you are suffering from seems pretty ridiculous.

Yeah, seeing the luck I've had with natural disasters and the close call PU misses, I hope I'm more fortunate with the inheritance phase.

I wonder what happens if you lose all of you people in that colony.

The events tend to kill a certain percentage of the population, so that's very unlikely to happen. Of course, in this AAR you never know... :p

Ragequit.

No way, I can assure you that I would have done that already if I planned to! :rofl:

When can you form Inca? :D

Just did. ;) Good call.

I just read all 16 pages of this. Good job. Hope Euros show up before *too* long - it's 1527 in my MEIOU game (being played in Asia) and no one seems to be interested in the New World except Portugal, which is in Atlantic Canada and not Mesoamerica. Probably differs from game to game, though.

Thanks, glad that you like it! :) And nice to hear that you play the mod as well. I'll add a small spoiler here: it differs indeed, fortunately. ;)

Thanks, I needed that, obviously! :D

You can tell when someone holds an orgy from the resulting plague strike.

I see you've decided to give fate a helping hand as your ruler goes rebel hunting. Your little central american state has gotten a lot bigger after that war.

Congratulations on forming the Incan Empire.

To this end, Inca generals start getting some suspicious holidays for the first time in over a century as Tupac Yupanqui II finds himself spearheading all of our rebel hunting efforts...[/SIZE

Ah, the joys of waiting for a leader to die. You'll sympathise with my trying-to-modernise-as-Japan travails, which eventually saw me marching my emperor across Siberia. To give the old coot his due he made it, but died soon after - I like to think it was from the rigors of the journey.

You can tell when someone holds an orgy from the resulting plague strike.

Good point. Numbers suggest that the Incan orgies are quite major.

I see you've decided to give fate a helping hand as your ruler goes rebel hunting. Your little central american state has gotten a lot bigger after that war.

True, both. Tenochtitlan's wars of course affect the ruler as general policy - I believe I can't inherit when the junior is in a separate war, so the ruler stays home during their wars. I'm happy that Tenochtitlan grew enough to appear safe now.

Congratulations on forming the Incan Empire.

Thanks! I certainly see that as one completed goal. :)

Ah, the joys of waiting for a leader to die. You'll sympathise with my trying-to-modernise-as-Japan travails, which eventually saw me marching my emperor across Siberia. To give the old coot his due he made it, but died soon after - I like to think it was from the rigors of the journey.

I sure do! :) Yeah, it's fun to think of such things that way.

Yeah you go from nursing the guy along to sending him down a dark alley alone with a single candle and a pair of kids sissors
AND HE STILL WON'T DIE!

He only gets the scissors because he's an idiot. I wouldn't give any weapon to a smarter ruler, but this one just might stumble on them.

Excellent work having formed the Inca Empire. It must be hugely infuriating only being able to watch on as the AI squabbles in Central America, knowing all the while that you could easily crush them. Still, at least the union is enduring and hopefully you can take over soon.

Okay, after some frustration with Photobucket's homepage (it was down for some updates it seems, so I couldn't upload the screenshots) it's available again and I can post a chapter now.

Be prepared for Tenochitlan constantly insulting you.

I don't expect that to happen as they won't have a bigger army than I have. They can't even support anywhere near the troops that I have now, and I have the economy and the room under the force limit to expand the army if that's necessary.

Excellent work having formed the Inca Empire. It must be hugely infuriating only being able to watch on as the AI squabbles in Central America, knowing all the while that you could easily crush them. Still, at least the union is enduring and hopefully you can take over soon.

Thanks! :) Yeah, it was very frustrating in the beginning of that war as they were down several provinces. However, after they recovered, the bad decisions didn't piss me off nearly as much. ;)

A quick inheritance would indeed be preferable (I'm channeling Captain Obvious here :D).

I think i have been too much playing Black Ops when it came to stories :eek:o because i almost missed one of my favorite AAR's update :D

Hehe, life has some difficult choices! :D

Chapter Nineteen
1460-1471

Unsurprisingly, Mesoamerica isn't peaceful for long. In September - less than two months after the Maya-Acolhua peace - another war starts as Maya declares on Uxmal. Uxmal is defended by Teotitlan, Tlacopan (which dishonors Maya in the process) and Tlaxcala.

Our policy of Emperor-led rebel hunting pays off in April 1461 when Tupac Yupanqui II kicks the bucket. No inheritance though.

21_01.jpg

Looking at the "biography", it seems that Tupac Yupanqui II continued Huayna Capac's favorite pastime of repeatedly converting Bio Bio:

21_02.jpg

Of course, forming the Inca Empire is what he'll be remembered for. In addition to being stupid, that is. But of course, he was stupid but successful, so that's still head and shoulders above the train wreck that was Tupac Amaru back in the 1370s.

We choose to have a small celebration for Titu Cusi Yupanqui I, paying just over 50 ducats for no other effects. I have full legitimacy and prestige, so no grand celebration is needed.

Like Tupac Yupanqui I, Titu Cusi Yupanqui I has the Elusive Shadow trait (-0.1 diplomats, -2.5 % prestige). The difference is of course larger here as Tupac Yupanqui II had bonuses in those same categories... Titu Cusi Yupanqui is a nice general though (3/4/4/2).

We get another Pachacutec as an heir (A/D/M 5/7/4). Let's see if this Pachacutec lives to see the throne - the track record isn't good for that name.

The next month, an event gives -50 to relations with Tenochtitlan:

21_03.jpg

Huh? The guy's been on the throne for 19 days and you already have a problem with him not visiting some place we don't even know how to access? Sheesh. Of course, you could make the case that lacking that knowledge kind of proves that we're ignoring them.

But oh well, bribes it is.

When 1462 rolls around I decide to start minting a little bit. I estimate that we'll have workshops in 15-20 years and I want to have enough money to construct them right away. While they aren't as good in MEIOU - they're less effective and more expensive than in vanilla - they're still a very useful building for the economy.

In February, Tumbes becomes Quechuan by event. I've had a lot of these.

March sees the first country leave the Maya war: Maya pays Teotitlan 2 ducats for peace. Teotitlan gained a province here. Then in November, Maya pays Tlaxcala 45 ducats to end the war. Unsurprisingly, the result is an OPM Maya.

21_04.jpg

In addition to the one province taken by Teotitlan (1), Tlaxcala grabs two provinces (2) and Uxmal a whopping five (3).

Less than a year later, in September 1463, Maya breaks to rebels and their lone province defects to Uxmal, bringing their Maya gains to six provinces in total. The Maya empire is no more.

In February 1464, Tenochtitlan is again mad that the Sapa Inca doesn't visit their country. Heck, tell us how to get there and I promise he will!

We tech up in June, getting a large PE bonus.

21_05.jpg

Production Tech is of course still the focus - the next level gives workshops.

Our Master of Mint dies in January 1465. I don't have to reduce inflation anymore (I only need to keep it at zero) so I decide that a Treasurer is a sufficient replacement.

21_06.jpg

It's very improbable that I need to do serious minting, so the small tax bonus is better than having spare inflation reduction.

Naval Tech is the last category to finally reach level 4 in June.

Also in June, we get the final South American cores:

21_07.jpg

To celebrate a fully cored, right religion South America, pie!

21_08.jpg

Mmm, two one-color pies!

Central America is peaceful for a surprisingly long time - over four years - until Tlacopan attacks Mixtecalt in February 1467. Teotitlan joins Tlacopan against a coalition that also includes Tlaxcala and Copan in addition to Mixtecalt. Teotitlan looks like the strongest OPM candidate here, sitting between two parts of the bigger Tlaxcala and far away from their ally.

Huancauilcas' fort is damaged in May. We follow the usual procedure of establishing a bureau of engineers.

Teotitlan is indeed OPM'd in August 1468. It's divided between Copan and Tlaxcala, with the latter signing peace for Teotitlan's isolated capital and 50 ducats while the former seized two provinces during the war.

21_09.jpg

You can also see in that shot that the former Maya capital is indeed under Uxmal rule.

Trade Tech 5 is reached in November.

The latest Mesoamerican war is effectively finished in March 1469 as Mixtecalt signs white peace with Tlacopan, having lost their northern province. Now, none of the remaining combatants can reach each other.

21_10.jpg

Tlacopan had the advantage here that their enemies couldn't reach them as the province they took was the only rival province bordering them. That way, they could make gains despite facing a stronger alliance. It was actually a shrewd DoW by them, even if it proved catastrophic for their ally Teotitlan.

A slider move becomes available in July - we move Innovative, naturally. It's at -1 now, or two away from what we need.

In February 1471 we get a useful Great Man event. Turns out that getting that Treasurer instead of a MoM was a good idea as the bonus here is in a very beneficial category.

21_11.jpg

Before I click that event, I buy some cultural tradition with prestige and magistrates and replace the five-star Natural Scientist we've had for the past 17 years with a new, upgraded model.

21_12.jpg

The Great Man event then allows me to instantly replenish the prestige.

April sees the current Central American war lose another participant as Copan white peaces Tlacopan. It's just Tlacopan and Tlaxcala now. And not for much longer: they sign white peace in July.

That war would be the last pure example of the happy, war-mongering Mesoamerican way of life as we know it.