• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
As a Comp Sci person, I have to ask this question:
Did you test whether the key you take screenshots with is working properly at all times?

Please don't hurt me.
Instead, hurt some Old Worlders.

Hmmmm... i leave these parts of the forum for some time, and when i come back, the Incas are in Europe ? :eek: Congrats, my friend :)

And is that my home town in South Africa ? Yay \o/

Finally caught up. I look forward to the Inca conquest of Cuba, which surely must be high on the agenda now. And of course the expedition into Germany to punish the Pope.

Good to hear. :) I'd like to take Cuba but Portuguese Canada has to be the priority, and since they use different CBs I can't take care of both in the same war without a terrible infamy waste. But we'll see, Cuba is terribly tempting.

Heh, Inca warriors slogging through northern Germany to get at the Pope, that's another of those funny scenarios this game creates...

I didn't think Ming would be so bold sailing east. But I agree that they would have made your kill list a bit overcrowded... :eek:

Yeah I was a bit surprised. I'm happy I managed to get the provinces I wanted before they could get their hands on them.

I'm with you on rejecting Program Files, I won't use My Documents either. I know what they are and I'll file them where I want!

Liked the update style :)

Nice to hear it was still enjoyable. :) I've also learned that if something bad happens to your Windows installation or your hard disk, it's infinitely easier to recover any important files when they're in some location that has as little to do with Windows as possible.

As a Comp Sci person, I have to ask this question:
Did you test whether the key you take screenshots with is working properly at all times?

Please don't hurt me.
Instead, hurt some Old Worlders.

Heh no, it's a valid question and it did cross my mind too, especially since I have a brand new keyboard so some manufacturing fault wouldn't have been completely out of the question. But it can't be that since the screen says "SCREENSHOT_TAKEN" or whatever even when it's not saving.

So I set up a dual screen system where I play on one and have the Screenshots folder open on the other, and take a quick glance when I take a screenshot to make sure it saved. Probably the most stupid way to waste electricity in the history of mankind, but it gets the job done! :rofl:

I think this AAR would have been more interesting if you'd explored and conquered Asia instead of Europe buuuuut...the results are still spectacular :D

But we can't let the Europeans just get away with their transgressions! :D Apart from the fact that I can't think of an RP reason why I'd leave the Europeans be but bulldoze the Asians, I'd just be facing low tech enemies. It would be a walk in the park.

Hmmmm... i leave these parts of the forum for some time, and when i come back, the Incas are in Europe ? :eek: Congrats, my friend :)

And is that my home town in South Africa ? Yay \o/

Thanks! :) Just shows you that AARland should not be neglected regardless of any fellow forumite slaughtering activities elsewhere! :D Not sure what you mean with the last part, but I'm sure you'd know. ;)

I'd like to take Cuba but Portuguese Canada has to be the priority, and since they use different CBs I can't take care of both in the same war without a terrible infamy waste. But we'll see, Cuba is terribly tempting.
Understood. I think you can use the same CB for Cuba and for the Portugese homelands. Those last Canadian provinces will take a long time with the Colonialism CB, though, if I understand it correctly. It gives 1 BB on adjacent provinces, right? But northern Canada consists in large part of stretches of coastline that you'll have to conquer pretty much one by one. I hope I'm mistaken but if not, wouldn't Imperialism be less BB costly and quicker - as well as allowing you to take Cuba at the same time?

Understood. I think you can use the same CB for Cuba and for the Portugese homelands. Those last Canadian provinces will take a long time with the Colonialism CB, though, if I understand it correctly. It gives 1 BB on adjacent provinces, right? But northern Canada consists in large part of stretches of coastline that you'll have to conquer pretty much one by one. I hope I'm mistaken but if not, wouldn't Imperialism be less BB costly and quicker - as well as allowing you to take Cuba at the same time?

Well, right now I believe there are ten Colonialism enabled Portuguese provinces... Definitely worth using the CB. Besides, what I'm going to do next will put my BB pretty high so I'd be fine with fighting a limited Colonialism war at some point soon.

One option that I've been considering, and am maybe leaning towards, is fighting one more war with Colonialism, then fighting an Imperialist war where I weaken them in Europe and take one or two Cuban provinces, then use those provinces to take the rest of the island with Colonialism in wars where I also tidy up the rest of Canada. But we'll see.

And by the way, I should clarify my reply to DeadeyeDave because I started to think that I probably left people who haven't tried the mod misinformed:

Apart from the fact that I can't think of an RP reason why I'd leave the Europeans be but bulldoze the Asians, I'd just be facing low tech enemies. It would be a walk in the park.

I'm talking in a relative sense here. MEIOU Asia definitely isn't a walk in the park to the same extent as vanilla - sending a couple of small armies is enough to conquer vast lands in vanilla, while they wouldn't get anywhere here.

The powerhouses like Ming and Bahmani aren't that far behind us in tech, but you can probably compare most of the other countries there to vanilla Eastern Europe tech-wise. I'm more interested in Western Europe where most nations are very close to me in tech. :)

From what I can see in Malurous's map (and comparing it to a blank map), Portuguese Canada has 20 provinces or less. 8-9 can be taken with Colonialism, with 4-5 taken later and 4 after that. Cuba with 4 provinces would take 8 infamy with Imperialism. So I figure Canada would be the better way to go. Besides, Malurous needs some spare infamy to conquer Europe :D .

Well, right now I believe there are ten Colonialism enabled Portuguese provinces... Definitely worth using the CB. Besides, what I'm going to do next will put my BB pretty high so I'd be fine with fighting a limited Colonialism war at some point soon.

One option that I've been considering, and am maybe leaning towards, is fighting one more war with Colonialism, then fighting an Imperialist war where I weaken them in Europe and take one or two Cuban provinces, then use those provinces to take the rest of the island with Colonialism in wars where I also tidy up the rest of Canada. But we'll see.
Exciting prospects. Very curious to see your mysterious BB-gathering plan.

The problem I spotted, if there is one (I don't know how the mechanics work exactly), would come into play when you reach the Spanish provinces along the northern coast. Then you'd only border 1 province on each side, and possibly one entrance to Newfoundland (or maybe none, I don't know if there's a strait you can cross). But you can solve that the same way you plan to take on Cuba, by taking 1 or 2 provinces with the Imperialism CB so that you border more of them for the next Colonial war.

From what I can see in Malurous's map (and comparing it to a blank map), Portuguese Canada has 20 provinces or less. 8-9 can be taken with Colonialism, with 4-5 taken later and 4 after that. Cuba with 4 provinces would take 8 infamy with Imperialism. So I figure Canada would be the better way to go. Besides, Malurous needs some spare infamy to conquer Europe :D .

Your numbers are just slightly low - I believe Portugal has 24-25 provinces in Canada, minus two if you don't count Newfoundland where Colonialism isn't an option. Cuba is five provinces.

But yes, I very much need that spare infamy. :D So I want to save where I can.

Exciting prospects. Very curious to see your mysterious BB-gathering plan.

No cunning plan here, just something that needs to be done and produces BB beyond the usual Iberian whacking. You'll see in the update. :)

The problem I spotted, if there is one (I don't know how the mechanics work exactly), would come into play when you reach the Spanish provinces along the northern coast. Then you'd only border 1 province on each side, and possibly one entrance to Newfoundland (or maybe none, I don't know if there's a strait you can cross). But you can solve that the same way you plan to take on Cuba, by taking 1 or 2 provinces with the Imperialism CB so that you border more of them for the next Colonial war.

True, we'll come to that about three Portuguese wars down the road I believe. We'll see what I do when I reach that point, but currently I'm considering just fighting a series of Colonial wars where I take the 2-3 provinces that are possible each time while mainly concentrating on other nations. The reasoning is that while I'm currently in some hurry to take care of America to free resources elsewhere, in that situation I'd pretty much need just two armies - one for each open "side" - and could just occupy the target provinces only and then do what's needed to force peace in Europe. But, indeed, we'll see.

Chapter Seventy-four
1725-1727

After finally getting a Sapa Inca it takes us just over two months to be ready to declare war again. First target: Mallorca.

77_01.jpg

It should be a simple war due to no decent allies, so might as well start with this. More importantly, I won't end up with a truce with anyone else I'm looking to fight at this time.

Mallorca currently consists of their mainland capital Girona as well as the two provinces of the Baleares. By early October we have occupied Girona and eliminated Mallorca's army.

77_02.jpg

Saponi converts, followed by Neusiok soon after. Menorca falls in November, but Mallorca's initial assault isn't successful. We have to haul another stack in from the mainland so taking the final province is delayed until the very end of the year.

We cannot annex however - turns out that Mallorca is controlling one of Geneve's provinces. We dispatch an army to throw them out.

77_03.jpg

Note also the Mallorcan stack that's happily sieging Guyenne's province in the west.

We get a military reform event: the effect is essentially slider neutral, a quality move is good but an innovative move is bad at this point.

77_04.jpg

Alutiiq grows into a city - the north is getting safer.

Taking care of the Mallorcan garrison in Valentinois isn't exactly easy as it's a level 4 fort. Fortunately I have plenty of men in Iberia at the moment so I'm able to succeed in April 1726 after some shuffling. Mallorca is annexed.

77_05.jpg

Haiki cores in May and Meskwaki embraces Inti. We start a new colony in Goyaz, an Amazonian province. I have a lot of unfinished colonies in remote locations with minimal military support, so I'm not willing to start more just yet. When there are no strategically interesting options available I tend to colonize in regions with valuable natural resources first, and a province like Goyaz should have a good chance of producing the very profitable brazilwood. The tobacco/cotton regions of North America have been a bit of a priority for the same reason.

After a couple of silent months Honniasant converts in August. This is clearly a sign that the Sun God wants us to whack some Europeans. In fact, He usually does. War is therefore declared on Catalunya.

77_06.jpg

I end up fighting a useless war against Spain here, but I can't avoid everyone. Attacking Spain would bring in someone else I don't want a truce with currently, so it wouldn't help at all.

The war starts well, with one of Spain's main stacks out of the picture and Catalunya's army all but destroyed. Inca casualties are minimal.

77_07.jpg

In September we occupy Tarragona, one of Catalunya's provinces. Taking land from them is a bit annoying as it's all level 4 forts, but as before we have a strong military presence in the area. The remnants of the Catalunyan army are routed and a smaller group of Spanish troops meets its end. In worse news, our fantastic admiral dies and we can't replace him with anyone of similar maneuver skill.

October sees us take one province from both Iberian enemies, Castello and Castilla la Nueva.

There's also notable colonization news - Incan settlers have now reached the South Island of New Zealand as well.

77_08.jpg

Annoying minors Armagnac and Albret keep sending tiny armies into my territory around Tolosa. I decide to permanently dedicate one army to beating them up.

Lleida and Valencia fall in November so we have all of Catalunya under control. We can't annex however as the cost is too high, even with only four provinces. That's a shame but can't be helped under these circumstances, so I just grab two provinces from them.

77_09.jpg

Spanish Badajoz falls and Occaneeshi embraces Inti. We end up fighting the Norwegians as well: they randomly sail past our African holdings so we defeat the small fleet, capturing a big ship in the process. Meanwhile, they land a regiment on Mallorca so we have to transport some troops to take care of it.

We gain control of Viscaya in January 1727. Spain seems to be going down without any serious issues so I feel ready to declare another war.

77_10.jpg

This is an absolutely critical war and the reason why I didn't declare war on Spain earlier. From her old colonies in West Africa and St. Helena, Nice has launched both colonization efforts and campaigns of conquest farther south and east, and a lot of this land they gained later is about to core. I have to take it from them now or their colonization range will increase significantly and I might start seeing them in places where I don't want to see them.

Small enemy armies and fleets are taken care of all over the place. Yanktonai and Chowanoc see the light of Inti, and Khoi Khoi in South Africa is the first Nicard province to fall. I notice something funny on the navy page of the ledger:

77_11.jpg

Okay, I'll have to assume this won't be too difficult... Considering that I have caused them next to no naval losses in this war I have to wonder how they've been able to run their colonial empire with no navy.

We accept a white peace offer from Norway, while Albret has to empty their small treasury to get peace. That's what you get for constantly harassing us. The other South African province, Knysna, falls in late February and we start moving forward.

Our Iberian armies occupy Nafarroa. Unlike Albret, Armagnac gets away with a white peace due to their high level forts - I don't feel like going through the hassle of taking those down just out of spite.

Goyaz starts producing maize, didn't exactly hit the home run there. Burgos falls, followed by Nice's capital Prouvenco in April. Forcing peace should probably be simple enough now.

Xavante reaches city status while a Central American earthquake leads to 4300 deaths in Seibal and another 1400 in neighboring Kaminaljuyu.

Nice appears to have military access through Savoy and troops begin to pour in from their French lands. Our force meets resistance when entering Forcauquier and also has to deal with a separate attack only days later.

77_12.jpg

77_13.jpg

We win the siege of Cantabria, Monacan converts and Taranaki starts producing maize. May brings popup spam of notable proportions: most of the Caribbean cores. Also, Chugash grows into a city.

Kei, the next enemy province along the African coast, falls into our hands and we defeat a total of some 10000 troops there and in Forcauquier. A new colony is launched in Quechuan in the western U.S. area - of course we should have a province that has the same name as our culture, but more importantly we hope that this will reveal the remaining TI without having to waste a colonist on a conquistador.

Some minor battles are won and to finish the month Forcauquier is successfully assaulted.

Kwazulu, the next African province, is taken in early July. We accept white peace offers from Artois and Naples. In October an island with a long name, Adna eal Maghrebain, is under control. I believe that's Réunion.

Aztlan cores and Trade tech level 50 is reached in November. Andreanov starts producing fish. The enemy stacks that keep attacking Forcauquier are getting very small to the point of being completely inconsequential.

Goyaz reaches city status in December, and our men land in Mawuti (Comoros) and seize the colony. We're ready for peace, taking five provinces in addition to the seized colony.

77_14.jpg

77_15.jpg

We've now reached a situation where St. Helena is the most faraway colony the Europeans have.

77_16.jpg

Neat, you're set to control the Atlantic, the Pacific and the Western Indian Ocean. Together with your presence in the Mediterranean nobody can deny that the Inca rule the waves. Might be nice to leave the Asian countries alone and just trade the heck out them. Less of a hassle than direct control. Although Ceylon looks awfully delicious. Maybe just one bite off the Asian continent...

Good tidying up around the Pyrenees, and of course those pesky about-to-core colonies needed sorting out too... I notice Mutapa has carved out a decent empire.
Looks delicious, doesn't it? I don't know what South Africa is worth economically, but there are five Inca enclaves just begging to be united.

I agree that Incan Iberia looks much better now. Are you taking European provinces off Portugal in the next war or continuing with Canada for a bit?

Good tidying up around the Pyrenees, and of course those pesky about-to-core colonies needed sorting out too... I notice Mutapa has carved out a decent empire.

Yeah, ever since they got the tech to colonize they've done a pretty good job filling in the empty space in South Africa.

I think it could be flavorful to set prime meridian as a western demarcation line.

I'd be hurting "friends" (Fez mostly) then - not something I want to do.

Neat, you're set to control the Atlantic, the Pacific and the Western Indian Ocean. Together with your presence in the Mediterranean nobody can deny that the Inca rule the waves. Might be nice to leave the Asian countries alone and just trade the heck out them. Less of a hassle than direct control. Although Ceylon looks awfully delicious. Maybe just one bite off the Asian continent...

We'll see, I'm not ruling it out. :)

Actually, I think there might be an argument to be made that we don't properly rule the waves. No-one can really threaten our fleet, true, but I can't really cover everything I own currently. With the African campaign and constant naval needs in the British Isles and of course above all the Med where I need a strong fleet, I currently have next to nothing in America other than transports. I'm building more warships, but in any Portuguese or Spanish wars in the immediate future my naval approach in the American theater would have to be "stay in port". :p

I wish Portugal would either inherit England or lose the PU. I can't really do much about England while they're the junior partner and taking them out of the picture would free up some naval resources.

Looks delicious, doesn't it? I don't know what South Africa is worth economically, but there are five Inca enclaves just begging to be united.

It would be worth it for the slaves alone - slaves producer bonus gives production efficiency - but Mutapa definitely falls into the "friends, don't kill" category. As the only non-heathen nation in the world (that I can see anyway, I believe some of the inland African nations are still fully in TI) for long stretches they've been a constant source of a small legitimacy boost via my only royal marriage. As long as they don't give me a reason to change my mind I will most likely leave them alone.

Speaking of slaves, I hope the Europeans in West Africa have them.

I agree that Incan Iberia looks much better now. Are you taking European provinces off Portugal in the next war or continuing with Canada for a bit?

It would have to be Canada. The lone northwestern province alone is holding tens of thousands of Inca troops hostage (because marching takes years and it has a level 4 fort) and overall I'd like to just take the rest of America quickly so I can start ignoring it even more than I already do. :D

It would be worth it for the slaves alone - slaves producer bonus gives production efficiency - but Mutapa definitely falls into the "friends, don't kill" category. As the only non-heathen nation in the world (that I can see anyway, I believe some of the inland African nations are still fully in TI) for long stretches they've been a constant source of a small legitimacy boost via my only royal marriage. As long as they don't give me a reason to change my mind I will most likely leave them alone.

Would you give them the land you took from the Europeans? I suppose now that you border them they gain the ability to Westernize (Or Incanize) so if you plan to divest yourself on African holdings you might keep one so your allies get more powerful.

Nice appears to have military access through Savoy and troops begin to pour in from their French lands. Our force meets resistance when entering Forcauquier and also has to deal with a separate attack only days later.

77_12.jpg

77_13.jpg

Sure, the opposing numbers make it seem as if you met resistance, but your losses (about as big as can be expected from an army that size holding a victory party) don't agree :p

Victory party that size would have a lot more losses:p know from exp.
Things are looking good except north america.
PS. thanks for your comments.

Would you give them the land you took from the Europeans? I suppose now that you border them they gain the ability to Westernize (Or Incanize) so if you plan to divest yourself on African holdings you might keep one so your allies get more powerful.

Hmm, I haven't really thought about it much. For now I'm going to keep the provinces, if nothing else they'll give me bases to strike from if some Europeans decide to go somewhere where they aren't wanted. Giving them to Mutapa later might be an option however.

Sure, the opposing numbers make it seem as if you met resistance, but your losses (about as big as can be expected from an army that size holding a victory party) don't agree :p

True. :p Not sure how Nice fought quite so pitifully, they aren't that far behind in tech or anything... Of course the rather poor general explains a part of it.

Fortunately, not everyone is willing to just forget about it and die like that.

Victory party that size would have a lot more losses:p know from exp.
Things are looking good except north america.
PS. thanks for your comments.

Know from experience? I want to know where you party! :rofl:

North America will get some loving attention next.