+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 77 FirstFirst ... 4 19 27 28 29 30 31 39 54 ... LastLast

Thread: Children of the Sun - a Cuzco MEIOU AAR

Europa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome

Quote Originally Posted by zzzzz... View Post
    you guys are missing the best one!

Gold + cocoa = chocolate coins!
    lol...

A bunny with a hat Moderator Nikolai II's Avatar
    200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDeus VultEast India Company Collection
    Divine WindFor The GloryGalactic AssaultHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossLost Empire - ImmortalsEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldRome: Vae Victis
    Hoi 2 Beta500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by Malurous View Post
    How does an earthquake that kills 90 % of the province population and 55 % of an adjacent province's population sound? The chances for that outcome are low, but it's possible.
    Plain insane.

Sounds like someone didn't think things through game-wise. Sure, the city might be devastated, but the countryside isn't and people will usually move in again. (Decidedly faster than the games growth rate allows for.)

The Lissabon earthquake (a rather major one, kill-wise) killed 10-20% of the population in one city. 20% should thus be the maximum, and 10% a better maximum. Then add a timed modifier for "devastated province" which removes most of the production and taxes for a year or two, and you'd get a truer representation of an earthquake. (Stability malus optional.)

Good luck with your maize - I'm afraid that trade 15 and going north might be the only way to get more
    FSM! I am convinced. Are you?
    IPU! I have faith. Do you?

GENERATION 33: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultDungeonlandEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossLeviathan: WarshipsThe Kings CrusadeMagicka
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the Roses
    EU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Nikolai II View Post
    Plain insane.

Sounds like someone didn't think things through game-wise. Sure, the city might be devastated, but the countryside isn't and people will usually move in again. (Decidedly faster than the games growth rate allows for.)

The Lissabon earthquake (a rather major one, kill-wise) killed 10-20% of the population in one city. 20% should thus be the maximum, and 10% a better maximum. Then add a timed modifier for "devastated province" which removes most of the production and taxes for a year or two, and you'd get a truer representation of an earthquake. (Stability malus optional.)

Good luck with your maize - I'm afraid that trade 15 and going north might be the only way to get more
    But these are Incas. They live on mountains. When the mountains shake hard, they fall off. And as many are living on the mountains, many fall and die. And that is why Incas never in otl became a superpower.

Europa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron III Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Enewald View Post
    But these are Incas. They live on mountains. When the mountains shake hard, they fall off. And as many are living on the mountains, many fall and die. And that is why Incas never in otl became a superpower.
    That and the whole sea thingy...
    I was Sir blsteen, Knight of the Eastern West... in :One Last HurRAAh: A Milanese Empire Interactive AAR:

I was FOTW 11/25/09 and 9/12/10

Nice read! This makes me contemplate playing a non-Western nation (I've been too chicken thus far). It also makes me really, really want to upgrade my Complete to HTTT, but that may need to wait a bit. Finally, the earthquakes and disasters scare the be-jeeb-ers out of me, but I may have to try the MEIOU mod sometime.
    A world is supported by four things: the learning of the wise, the justice of the great, the prayers of the righteous and the valor of the brave. But these are as nothing without a ruler who knows the art of ruling.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Mount & Blade: WarbandPride of Nations500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Now this is curious. We're able to procure tens of thousands of horses from the Portuguese, and somehow they all end up in South America? How did that happen, did they swim?!?
    Maybe the Portuguese do deliveries. Only fair given the massive cost of that procurement contract. Are you concerned that in the case of a war the Portuguese can cut off your supply of horses?

Eliminating Tlacopan would make you the only native power south of the Rio Grande (or whatever it gets called in this game).
    AAR in progress
    Yet this will go onward the same: the Yamato Destiny - Continuation of the last AAR in Victoria 2. Last updated 17th October 2012

Completed AAR
    The Yamato Destiny: A Japan HTTT AAR

Ummm... We demand and update
    Nothing to say.

Fan of the Week - 31 July, 2011

F-CEO of EUIV:MEIOU and Taxes gigau's Avatar
    80 games registered

200k clubCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Roaming zombishly... looking for icooooonsssss !
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnishFish View Post
    Ummm... We demand an update
    +1
    • Europa Universalis III : MEIOU --- MEIOU Subforum in english | MEIOU on Twitter | MEIOU on Facebook | MEIOU Online Manual •
    • If you have zero infamy, then you're wasting everybody's forgiveness. - Zzzzz...
    •
    • Europa Universalis IV •
    • MEIOU and Taxes - It falls on to me to rule the entire world,... and don't forget to bring me my taxes ! - Download >>> HERE <<< •

M&T Subforum | M&T en Franηais | M&T on Facebook | M&T Wiki | M&T Report Tickets
    • Auretus Ornithorhynchus anatinus, in hoc signo vinces. In honorem Paradox! •
    • Ainsi Je Frappe - the level 1 unit sprite revamp. •
    Discussion thread | Vanilla version on Workshop | DLC version on Workshop | M&T version on Workshop | M&T and DLC version on Workshop
    • Awarded the SAS Award for Forum Dedication •
    • Vice-Zombiemaster of the Icon Zombie Club ! •

HoI AnthologyCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineKing Arthur II
    MagickaMajesty 2EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    Ummm... We demand and update
    If the ground starts shaking, an update is coming.

200k clubHoI AnthologyCities in MotionCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    Deus VultEast India CompanyEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    LegioMagickaEuropa Universalis: RomeSengokuSword of the Stars
    The Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    CK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition500k club

Sorry guys, RL - work/career mostly - has been next to hellish for the last few weeks (the same reason there was a delay on the update two weeks ago) and I can't really get stuff here more often than about once a week. I'm typically not in a creative mood these days and I don't want to post anything subpar.

To cut a long story short: Person A screws up. Person B, whose performance has always been very good, is asked to correct the resulting situation, which is pretty much impossible to correct. When Person B struggles to correct said impossible to correct situation, he finds out that unless he succeeds, he'll have to find some other way to pay the rent. Meanwhile, Person A seems to see no consequences at all for the original screw-up. Guess which I am, A or B?

I'll try to put something together in the near future, but don't be shocked if updates aren't that frequent until this crap is sorted out.
    Read my Cuzco MEIOU AAR Children of the Sun! (ongoing)
    AARland Choice AwAARd: EU Gameplay Q1 & Q2 2011, Weekly AAR Showcase 17-10-2010,

Follow Gentlemen in Germany - a Brunswick AAR! (ongoing)

Participating in 1001 Sultans - A Jalayirids Succession AAR (ongoing)

WritAAR of the Week 24-5-2011, Fan of the Week 3-12-2009 & 15-1-2012
    Speed - A Castille (mini-?)AAR (finished)
    Took part in the HT Succession Game (finished)

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Mount & Blade: WarbandPride of Nations500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Wow, that doesn't sound much fun at all for person B. If I were them I might consider telling my bosses it's their problem now and handing in my notice. Much easier said than done though.

Hope things pick up soon. Like everyone else I'm enjoying the (shaky) ride!
    Last edited by Dewirix; 28-01-2011 at 17:41. Reason: I meant person B.
    AAR in progress
    Yet this will go onward the same: the Yamato Destiny - Continuation of the last AAR in Victoria 2. Last updated 17th October 2012

Completed AAR
    The Yamato Destiny: A Japan HTTT AAR

F-CEO of EUIV:MEIOU and Taxes gigau's Avatar
    80 games registered

200k clubCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Roaming zombishly... looking for icooooonsssss !
    Blog Entries
    Hey, Bee, sorry to read that... i understand how you feel, believe me (although my situation was much less idre than yours... my version of person A got kicked out).

So take the time you need. We'll still be waiting for your updates when your sky clears up
    • Europa Universalis III : MEIOU --- MEIOU Subforum in english | MEIOU on Twitter | MEIOU on Facebook | MEIOU Online Manual •
    • If you have zero infamy, then you're wasting everybody's forgiveness. - Zzzzz...
    •
    • Europa Universalis IV •
    • MEIOU and Taxes - It falls on to me to rule the entire world,... and don't forget to bring me my taxes ! - Download >>> HERE <<< •

M&T Subforum | M&T en Franηais | M&T on Facebook | M&T Wiki | M&T Report Tickets
    • Auretus Ornithorhynchus anatinus, in hoc signo vinces. In honorem Paradox! •
    • Ainsi Je Frappe - the level 1 unit sprite revamp. •
    Discussion thread | Vanilla version on Workshop | DLC version on Workshop | M&T version on Workshop | M&T and DLC version on Workshop
    • Awarded the SAS Award for Forum Dedication •
    • Vice-Zombiemaster of the Icon Zombie Club ! •

200k clubHoI AnthologyCities in MotionCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    The Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the Arcane

Thanks for the encouragement, both of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewirix View Post
    If I were them I might consider telling my bosses it's their problem now and handing in my notice. Much easier said than done though.
    Oh, I've been keeping my eyes open for a job opening for months now as I haven't been happy with my situation at all. I even mentioned one interview in this thread. However, the problem is that there are extremely few jobs available in my line, and I have very little savings to boot, so I just have to deal with this for now. After all, the described treatment is better than I ever got from unemployment officials IIRC.
    AARland Choice AwAARd: EU Gameplay Q1 & Q2 2011, Weekly AAR Showcase 17-10-2010,

Thanks for the encouragement, both of you.

Oh, I've been keeping my eyes open for a job opening for months now as I haven't been happy with my situation at all. I even mentioned one interview in this thread. However, the problem is that there are extremely few jobs available in my line, and I have very little savings to boot, so I just have to deal with this for now. After all, the described treatment is better than I ever got from unemployment officials IIRC.
    D*mn the Finlands current financinal state there is so much unemployed people
    Nothing to say.

Fan of the Week - 31 July, 2011

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Victoria 2EU3 Collectors EditionEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Hope it comes together for you at work - that sort of problem is more common than it should be but it's always easy for lazy managers to blame the person with the mop for the mess on the floor.

Apparently I need to buy some more gravel.

My AARs: EU3 England, Golden Horde, France, Iroquois, Castile / EU2 Finland / My Inkwell

"Sunset Invasion isn't ASB - it's just Prawnstar playing CK2" Athalcor
    "If EU3 had exiled prawn-like aliens he'd be the first one to do a WC with them..." aldriq
    "You were prawn under a conquering stAAR!" Arakhor

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: Chronicles
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House Divided500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Good luck at work, either by way of a more understanding manager or a shiny new job.
    On-hold: Mamma Mia! The AAR
    Completed: Europe is our dancefloor | The Shortest Road to Damascus | No Iron, One Lion, Maybe Zion
    Tintero

The April AARlander is out now, no excuse not to read it: Thread | PDF | iBooks

Europa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron III Collection

Quote Originally Posted by PrawnStar View Post
    Hope it comes together for you at work - that sort of problem is more common than it should be but it's always easy for lazy managers to blame the person with the mop for the mess on the floor.
    Sure, good luck with the job. Maybe, you'll get something new or maybe this situation will eventually boil over again (and again) and it will be someone else's...GO time. As in go and don't let the door hit you on the way out.
    I was Sir blsteen, Knight of the Eastern West... in :One Last HurRAAh: A Milanese Empire Interactive AAR:

I was FOTW 11/25/09 and 9/12/10

Re: the work situation - I'm learning something new about myself. I did some subtle and sneaky pulling of the strings, and now Person A will spend a decent while doing an incredibly annoying assignment. And she doesn't even know I had anything to do with it.

The fun thing is, my situation hasn't changed at all and my future employment is still murky, but I've been in a really good mood since yesterday morning when this happened. Turns out I'm a vengeful bastard after all. And well, since I'm in a good mood, I felt like doing an update for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by gigau View Post
    Possibly a bit powerful in HT³x... however, with the greater requirement in magistrates in DW, that might be necessary
    Heh, could be.

Who wants cacao when they could get nice fish?
    Europeans'?
    It's kinda fun that our South American citizens have stopped producing any staple foods and are just going for chocolate. Sounds healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Ragusa View Post
    It's the horses, they've escaped from portuguese control and spread all over south america and the rest of the americas, eating all the maize they can find. Fishermen have had to stop fishing to use their nets to catch horses, all that lumber has gone iinto stables and corrals to house all the horses and horses don't like cacao. Now you get to ride those horses.
    Good explanation, well done!

Looks like Tlacopan is about to get hit. Can't see why you'll be distant overseas taking morethan one province, when those nice kind Lubeck merchants ensure regular communication?
    It's funny how the southeastern part of Mesoamerica is treated just like the homelands, and then there's suddenly this invisible border in the air and the provinces beyond it don't produce anything...

**** cacao everyone knows that salmon is the way to go
    Actually, IRL I'd be mighty cool with both.

Quote Originally Posted by Basileus444 View Post
    I wish I had all that cacao. The Incan Empire sounds like a fun place to live. Chocolate + volcanoes = hot chocolate for everyone!
    That's one heckuva fireplace to be sipping in front of!

At least the Portuguese are on the mainland, so having the horses migrate down to Peru isn't totally ludicrous. In my first MEIOU game, I was quite surprised to see the Aztecs fielding over 30 cavalry regiments, even though no European had landed on the mainland. Did the horses swim to Mexico from Cuba?
    Well, they totally swam from Mesoamerica to Peru, Cuba to Yucatan especially is way shorter.

Quote Originally Posted by gigau View Post
    The westernization rules in MEIOU are about the same as in vanilla... especially in the requirement of a neighbouring european. How did they get cavalry ?
    The same way I did - at land tech 10 in the New World tech group.

Quote Originally Posted by FlorisDeVijfde View Post
    So, you're an empire now. Excellent
    Yup. Fits the whole Inca Empire thingy.

Quote Originally Posted by blsteen View Post
    cacao and horses
    things in Inca land are looking up...don't look too high at the slumbering volcanos though
    you never know what will anger the gods.
    That makes me wonder... The horses aren't that smart, are they? I mean, why on earth would they make the effort to swim to the hell pit that is South America?

Quote Originally Posted by naggy View Post
    You should definitely get some really nice bonuses around Valentine's Day...
    Sure should have the requirements in place...

Quote Originally Posted by gabor View Post
    Do I hear the war drum? But you're not going to attack the Portuguese, are you?
    I can't really start working on throwing them out until I've used them to westernize.

Quote Originally Posted by Basileus444 View Post
    They hadn't westernized. They simply were able to research them on their own. My invasion did take place in the mid 1600s, so they had enough time for that.
    Yeah, even in this game the AI Tlacopan is only one level away in ca. 1560.

Quote Originally Posted by aldriq View Post
    So your evil empire won't stop until the whole world is covered in chocolate?
    The plan is to distribute it it all over with lava from the volcanoes. Sadly the Incas aren't aware yet that most of the rest of the world doesn't have that level of activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Zzzzz... View Post
    You guys are missing the best one!

Gold + cocoa = Chocolate coins!
    Haha, I gotta agree with Iwanow here, great one!

Quote Originally Posted by Nikolai II View Post
    Plain insane.
    Yeah I agree, it's a bit much especially when you hit the worst options...

Nah, I still have one nation to bully around. After that, true.

But that's a controversial theory. Some scientists disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by togre View Post
    Nice read! This makes me contemplate playing a non-Western nation (I've been too chicken thus far). It also makes me really, really want to upgrade my Complete to HTTT, but that may need to wait a bit. Finally, the earthquakes and disasters scare the be-jeeb-ers out of me, but I may have to try the MEIOU mod sometime.
    Thanks and welcome, your AAR is a nice one too!

New World nations aren't typically interesting at all in vanilla, but there are pretty cool nations in Asia etc. so you should certainly try out other areas besides Europe.

The disaster frequency has a lot to do with playing in South America. MEIOU is heartily endorsed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewirix View Post
    Maybe the Portuguese do deliveries. Only fair given the massive cost of that procurement contract. Are you concerned that in the case of a war the Portuguese can cut off your supply of horses?
    Not really, we already have a pretty insane number.

Eliminating Tlacopan would make you the only native power south of the Rio Grande (or whatever it gets called in this game).
    The only native power in America IIRC, actually. This version of MEIOU has no North American natives (a performance choice I believe).

Quote Originally Posted by naggy View Post
    If the ground starts shaking, an update is coming.
    Haha, isn't it handy to have an indicator like that? No need to check your subscriptions.

Quote Originally Posted by gabor View Post
    Cuzco made it, so will you!
    Thanks to everyone for your best wishes! I had to bring this one up as this is a good guideline to follow in life. FinnishFish makes a good point too, there just aren't that many options around...

Chapter Thirty-two
    1558-1561

So in July, one month after canceling our alliance, it's time to declare war on Tlacopan.

They really shouldn't have much of a say here.

Later in the month another Gifted Teotl seeks his place in our Empire, and as always, I happily welcome him. This is a very good one!

Whoa! Nice stats. Poor Tlacopan, they never had a chance to begin with and now I get a six shock and six fire guy with maneuver pips to boot.

General Llicllic dislodges Tlacopan's secondary army from their capital in August.

Days later, our new super general Pomacapi lifts a siege that Tlacopan was able to start. He slaughters everyone in the process.

Llicllic starts chasing the army that he beat, while Pomacapi removes any siege forces on our lands. Smaller forces start spreading around to begin sieges in safe provinces.

In October, Pomacapi crosses the border to one of Tlacopan's northern provinces in order to fight Tlacopan's main army. It goes well enough.

After throwing that army around some more, Pomacapi sees an opportunity to get the defensive side on the secondary army, as that one has been retreating towards the area. The secondary army is destroyed in late November.

Xilotepec is the first Tlacopan province to fall in December.

To add insult to injury, Tlacopan's weakened main army is wiped out in a remote province by a leaderless siege stack.

Tlacopan starts offering white peace. Hehe, as if.

Cempaloa falls as 1559 rolls around. Good, as it is the prime target province. I seize it immediately.

I notice that Bombards - a better form of province defense - has become available. I take the decision just in case in provinces that border Portugal.

I take a look at Meztitlan, one of the provinces that we're sieging. Turns out that it's another one of those dying provinces.

It's adjacent to the recently deceased Axocopan, so perhaps it was the same natural disaster that nuked both of these cities back to colonies.

When we reach February, it turns out that this war wasn't such a great idea after all:

Gaah! The benefits that we get for this campaign aren't anywhere close to compensating for this. It might be smart to end the war and sell the province back, but where's the attitude in that? And besides, I suppose there's the strategic benefit of keeping Portugal out as they're sailing in the area menacingly.

Little happens early in the year as Tlacopan is out of troops and I wait for sieges to finish. Rebels do keep me busy though.

I decide in May that it's time to build Workshops in a few Mesoamerican provinces. The rich Maya cities like Uxmal and Tikal give me pretty much the same income as some of my poorer South American areas, so it's worthwhile to do this now. These provinces are going to be very strong when nationalism runs out.

Later in May an assault succeeds in Caxcan. I grab the maize province.

Tamaholipa falls soon after and Tlacopan starts begging for peace, offering money and cores. Sorry guys, I really don't want you to renounce any claims.

Tlacopan falls in August, and I have the war score for their treasury now, even if I grab Tamaholipa. However, I have other ideas.

After the fall of Wixaritari, I'm able to force the peace that I want in September.

Granted, I lose the Colonial Conquest CB and the ability to seize provinces without peace negotiations, but it doesn't matter. I still have the (somewhat inferior, granted) Horde CB on them and I can easily force them to negotiations. Auto-converting Tlacopan's capital to Inti is certainly worth that, and it's pretty cool to force the Sun God on the tribe anyway.

Tlacopan is also landlocked. Now they can't be attacked by Europeans and lose land to them - unless someone colonizes the north, that is.

Hmm, seems that Tamaholipa is distant overseas as well. So it is as I feared: only Cempaloa is close enough.

In October we get what we came for:

Yaxhilan is the next province to get a missionary in December.

Our national focus finally becomes available in March 1560 and it's placed in Tulum.

That catches most of the richest lands that aren't distant overseas, though sadly not Tikal.

General Pomacapi dies in April. How surprising that the super general lives less than two years, especially seeing that I have something like six other (worse) generals that all started earlier. Oh well, at least he was actually available for a war.

Seems that Hatun Canar is a couple of years late - they start producing cacao in January 1561... oh dear.

Okay Tlacopan, the truce is up on September 1st, 1564. Expect some visitors then, put the kettle on.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 77 FirstFirst ... 4 19 27 28 29 30 31 39 54 ... LastLast