• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Malurous

Field Marshal
97 Badges
Jun 24, 2007
  • 200k Club
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Sengoku
  • Sword of the Stars
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • War of the Roses
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • East India Company
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Deus Vult
  • Dungeonland
  • Cities in Motion
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
Children of the Sun - a Cuzco MEIOU AAR

shield.png

Game version: HTTT April 29th Beta, MEIOU mod
Start date: January 10th 1356
Settings: Default MEIOU, a tweak to my country's start (described at the end of this post*)
Rules: No cheating or reloading. Also, when in doubt, roleplay.
AAR style: Gameplay/Narrative hybrid
Updates: I'm aiming for twice a week in the beginning.

I'm playing Cuzco, the Incan city state that later developed into the Inca Empire. In reality, they did not start expanding until 1438, but I'm taking a head start as I'm attempting to fare better in the long term than the Incas did. ;)

The leader in the beginning is the legendary Manco Cápac. He may have been dead for a century or two at this point in the real world, but no matter. If we trust the theory that he was a son of the sun god Inti - and why not, sounds quite plausible to me - maybe he's a bit more godlike in this alternate reality. Enough so to live several centuries.

Some "disclaimers", MEIOU calls the native Americans "a work in progress". Readers unfamiliar with the mod should know that it has (even) more flavor in other parts of the world, but I've enjoyed playing here anyway. Also, while I consider myself a decent enough vanilla player, I don't claim to be a MEIOU expert yet. But that's part of the fun really. :)

*Cuzco normally has the powerful Blessings of God modifier that's intended to boost nations that are historically supposed to rise (giving +150 % tax, +200 % manpower, +400 % land forcelimits, + 10 infamy limit and lowered army costs). I've removed this modifier from Cuzco, so I won't have this advantage over other countries in my area and will have to forge Cuzco's historical rise in an ordinary fashion instead. Also, Tenochtitlan does have it, so I should run into a blessed country eventually. (Countries such as the Ottomans and Muscowy and several others also have this modifier. Meanwhile, nations that are supposed to go down - for example Byzantium and Serbia - have the negative counterpart, the nasty Wrath of God)

Table of Contents

Introduction

The reign of Manco Capac:
Chapter One (1356-1358)
Chapter Two (1358-1361)
Chapter Three (1361-1365)
Chapter Four (1365-1367)

Regency for Tupac Amaru I:
Chapter Five (1367-1370)

The reign of Tupac Amaru I:
Chapter Six (1370-1374)

The reign of Tupac Yupanqui I:
Chapter Seven (1374-1377)
Chapter Eight (1377-1384)
Chapter Nine (1384-1388)
Chapter Ten (1388-1393)
Chapter Eleven (1393-1395)
Chapter Twelve (1395-1401)
Chapter Thirteen (1401-1406)

The reign of Huayna Capac I:
Chapter Fourteen (1406-1415)

The reign of Tupac Yupanqui II:
Chapter Fifteen (1415-1425)
Chapter Sixteen (1425-1442)
Chapter Seventeen (1442-1455)
Chapter Eighteen (1455-1460)

The reign of Titu Cusi Yupanqui I:
Chapter Nineteen (1460-1471)

The reign of Pachacutec I:
Chapter Twenty (1471-1482)
Chapter Twenty-one (1482-1488)

The reign of Tupac Hualpa I:
Chapter Twenty-two (1488-1496)
Chapter Twenty-three (1496-1502)

The reign of Tupac Yupanqui III:
Chapter Twenty-four (1502-1508)

Regency for Tupac Yupanqui IV:
Chapter Twenty-five (1508-1520)

The reign of Tupac Yupanqui IV:
Chapter Twenty-six (1520-1528)

The regency for and the reign of Titu Cusi Yupanqui II:
Chapter Twenty-seven (1528-1540)

Regency for Tupac Yupanqui V:
Chapter Twenty-eight (1540-1542)
Chapter Twenty-nine (1542-1547)

The reign of Tupac Yupanqui V:
Chapter Thirty (1547-1551)
Chapter Thirty-one (1551-1558)
Chapter Thirty-two (1558-1561)
Chapter Thirty-three (1561-1565)

Regency for Yahuar Hacuac I:
Chapter Thirty-four (1565-1568)
Chapter Thirty-five (1568-1576)

The reign of Yahuar Hacuac I:
Chapter Thirty-six (1576-1588)

The reign of Tupac Hualpa II:
Chapter Thirty-seven (1588-1589)
Interlude: The YHCmobile
Chapter Thirty-eight (1589-1595)
Religious overview 1595
Chapter Thirty-nine (1595-1602)
Chapter Forty (1602-1606)
Chapter Forty-one (1606-1609)
Chapter Forty-two (1609-1614)
Chapter Forty-three (1614-1622)
Chapter Forty-four (1622-1625)
Chapter Forty-five (1625-1628)

Regency for Pachacutec II:
Chapter Forty-six (1628-1634)
Chapter Forty-seven (1634-1638)

The reign of Pachacutec II:
Chapter Forty-eight (1638-1639)
Chapter Forty-nine (1639-1642)
Chapter Fifty (1642-1644)
Chapter Fifty-one (1644-1645)
Chapter Fifty-two (1645-1647)
Chapter Fifty-three (1647-1653)
Chapter Fifty-four (1653-1656)
Chapter Fifty-five (1656-1657)
Chapter Fifty-six (1657-1662)
Chapter Fifty-seven (1662-1663)

The reign of Huayna Capac II:
Chapter Fifty-eight (1663-1665)
Chapter Fifty-nine (1665-1668)
Chapter Sixty (1668-1670)
Chapter Sixty-one (1670-1672)
Chapter Sixty-two (1672-1677)
Chapter Sixty-three (1677-1683)
Chapter Sixty-four (1683-1686)
Chapter Sixty-five (1686-1690)
Chapter Sixty-six (1690-1693)
Chapter Sixty-seven (1693-1697)
Chapter Sixty-eight (1697-1703)
Chapter Sixty-nine (1703-1708)
Chapter Seventy (1708-1712)
Chapter Seventy-one (1712-1716)

Regency for Sayri Tupac I:
Chapter Seventy-two (1716-1718)
Chapter Seventy-three (1718-1725)

The reign of Sayri Tupac I:
Chapter Seventy-four (1725-1727)
Chapter Seventy-five (1728-1730)
Chapter Seventy-six (1730-1733)
Chapter Seventy-seven (1733-1736)
Chapter Seventy-eight (1736-1740)

Last edited:
This looks interesting. I also am excited read more about MEIOU. It's a mod, I've been taking a look at, but unfortunately I don't think they have a mac version. :(

Good luck! Subscribed.

I'll post the AAR introduction in a few.

This looks interesting. I also am excited read more about MEIOU. It's a mod, I've been taking a look at, but unfortunately I don't think they have a mac version. :(

Good luck! Subscribed.

Thanks, I'm happy to have the first reader four minutes after thread creation, that's quick! :D Here's hoping for more mac supporting mods then. :)

Introduction

With "in a few", I obviously meant a few dozen minutes. (Ok, I had a crash and had to write some stuff again) Let's have a look at what I plan to do in this game, as well as Cuzco's starting situation.

The situation

Here's a shot of the territory I can see in the beginning of the game. I've done an exceptional job with the map so there's no way for you to see that it's combined from many screenshots.

...hey, no need to look closer! I think it's a better idea to just take my word for it.

02_01.jpg

So anyway, we can see that Cuzco has a quite central location in South America. We mostly border smaller nations, with a couple of powers (Chimu and, to some extent, Chibchaya) further north. Of some concern however is our southern border - Aymara is somewhat larger than us. And overall, I'll have to play the diplomatic game carefully in the beginning to avoid simultaneous wars, especially because the mountainous territory is rather slow to cross (and because small-to-medium sized nations have more troops in MEIOU).

Further north, the Central American nations are visible to us. Tenochtitlan (dark green) should eventually become the power in the region due to Blessings of God. There's an important difference between South and Central American natives - their provinces are instantly annexable but ours aren't.

Looking closer at the provinces reveals another notable difference that makes these natives a lot more playable in MEIOU - forts. Everyone in the region has them from the beginning. The tech rate is also better, though nowhere near European standards.

An important strength for Cuzco is the CoT in the city itself.

The plan

Now that we're familiar with the circumstances, the plan is as follows:

1 - Make sure that Cuzco survives and thrives. This means becoming the unquestionable number one power in our South American region by grabbing what useful territory I can early on.

2 - Take all of the region. This includes expansion via war and diplomacy.

3 - Find ways to expand outside the region. Colonize adjacent provinces and/or enter Central America one way or another (adding the possibility to meet Europeans earlier).

4 - When Europeans are encountered, keep our lands safe. Then attempt to westernize as well as modernize our rotten government.

5 - ? ? ?

6 - Profit.

Looks fun. The challenge of westernising adds much more to the game.

A show-down with Tenochtitlan should prove an interesting climax to the pre-contact part of the story.

Can you colonise without a coastal CoT, or is there one nearby you can 'borrow'?

Anyway, looking forward to following this one, particularly as I've yet to play any mods and want to learn more about them.

Very Interesting...well, thought out posts.

And, I can tell you truly did work hard on the maps. They're great...they add a lot to the telling of the AAR.

Good luck.

Looks fun. The challenge of westernising adds much more to the game.

A show-down with Tenochtitlan should prove an interesting climax to the pre-contact part of the story.

Can you colonise without a coastal CoT, or is there one nearby you can 'borrow'?

Anyway, looking forward to following this one, particularly as I've yet to play any mods and want to learn more about them.

Good to have you following!

That's how I see Tenochtitlan too. :)

Colonizing is something for after westernizing - you don't get colonists from coastal CoT's in MEIOU (a shame since Chimu has one "available" :D) so I have no choice but to tech up.

In general, I should note that the plan points aren't necessarily chronological in the sense that I'd just go 1 -> 2 -> 3 -> 4: I expect to enter Central America before I'm done in South America (because Tenochtitlan probably expands faster than I can so I have to get there while I have room), and I expect to run into Europeans before I'm ready with Central America.

What makes it interesting for me is that I just don't have enough experience with the mod regarding this part of the world to know very accurately when the Europeans will show up. So it will be a surprise when it happens. :) The same goes for Tenochtitlan - I don't know how exactly they'll behave, though I'm certain they'll be strong.

Very Interesting...well, thought out posts.

And, I can tell you truly did work hard on the maps. They're great...they add a lot to the telling of the AAR.

Good luck.

Thanks! Happy to see you here.

Thanks for the compliment on the map, the good thing about using large original images is that you can resize the final map to so much smaller than the original that it actually looks tolerable. :D

Good luck, I'll be following! I don't know MEIOU but it's always interesting to learn about different mods and their 'world views'.

I've done an exceptional job with the map so there's no way for you to see that it's combined from many screenshots.

...hey, no need to look closer! I think it's a better idea to just take my word for it.

Hey, you do the joins better than me! :rolleyes:

I'll be watching this AAR with interest. I've been thinking about downloading MEIOU for a few days now and I'd love to see what you can handle with it.

Oh for your goals you might have wanted to put
6. PROFIT
A silly joke but I think it would work well after all that conquering and surviving you'll do. Maybe you should go visit China with your traders later on. :)

Good luck, I'll be following! I don't know MEIOU but it's always interesting to learn about different mods and their 'world views'.

Hey, you do the joins better than me! :rolleyes:

Thanks, glad to see you here aldriq, having eagerly followed each of your AARs. :)

And I have to say I'm surprised about the reactions to the map. It was a bit of an eyesore in full size but I guess it looks better smaller.

I'll be watching this AAR with interest. I've been thinking about downloading MEIOU for a few days now and I'd love to see what you can handle with it.

Welcome, happy to have you here! MEIOU is a fantastic mod judging by the moderate amount I've played - you need a solid computer though as it's not the fastest.

Oh for your goals you might have wanted to put
6. PROFIT

Look closer and you just might find something, that's all I'm going to say. :D (And I agree, it's a silly joke...)

A very challenging starting position for what seems to promise a difficult and thus engrossing game. Colour me subscribed.

Now this looks interesting! I've always wanted to play one of the Native American nations in MEIOU.

Looks good! :)

morningSIDEr and dinofs: Yes, I found the position interesting too, that's a big reason why I decided to turn such a game into my first AAR. ;) Welcome, I'm happy to see both of you here!

Ashantai, blsteen and Cossack8559: Glad to have all of you following! :)

Update very soon.

Chapter One
1356-1358

I start by making a couple of administrative moves - moving the slider towards quality to improve our very questionable discipline, hiring the only advisor of any use, setting our CoT on auto-send and introducing Vision Quest as a religious decision.

03_01.jpg

Speaking of religion, Cuzco belongs to the Inti faith. Having the son of your god as ruler sounds like a decent call to me.

I also want to get a war going before everyone gets allies. The obvious target is the small nation of Huanca to the northwest. Everyone in these parts is a tribe, so Tribal Feud can be used as a CB against any neighbor. We regain stability very fast so the good relations stab hit is pretty much inconsequential.

03_02.jpg

I choose them because of the gold produced in one of their provinces, Huanuco. The way cores work in MEIOU - nationalism revolt risk leads to no tax income at all for quite some time after conquest - high production provinces are the only way to make an instant difference of that kind in the economy if you have no cores you can take.

Before unpausing, I also decide to secure our southern border in order to avoid a multiple front war. I offer alliance to Aymara, the largest country in the region, and they accept the next day.

My first mission is nice enough - I'll get it done without specifically trying as I'm going to build up to force limit anyway.

03_03.jpg

Chibchaya - the teal nation north of Huanca - offers an alliance. This is accepted as they are a northern power, second only to Chimu in that area.

Manco Capac will command our army personally against Huanca. His shock stat leads me to believe that there might be something to that being divine thing.

03_04.jpg

Two months later the small southern nation of Mapuche - Pantheistic heretics I might add - offers a royal marriage. No harm in accepting.

On April 18th, the first battle of the war is "won".

03_05.jpg

In retrospect, I should have just advanced to their territory when they wouldn't attack my troops, even small stacks. Instead, I let them in to try and fight on my own soil but the terrain in Vilcashuaman is very dangerous for the attacker. Huancavelica on their side is more forgiving.

Fortunately, we've already recruited more men (some even made it to that battle) so we'll strike with more force when the troops have recovered.

03_06.jpg

For whatever reason, I don't get a new mission until a bit later.

In August, we've established a position in Huanca territory.

03_07.jpg

Huancavelica does have easier terrain, only 25 % mountains, but I'm unlucky enough to hit that nasty quarter. My WE is starting to look pretty ridiculous for such a short conflict... However, I can now siege while weaker regiments head back to Vilcashuaman to rest.

Being the defender helps immensely in November when Huanca attempts a counter attack.

03_08.jpg

Their general gives no manouver bonus, and that makes all the difference in the next phase: Manco Capac is able to lead his army to Huanuco before the Huanca can get back!

Pain ensues for the enemy army.

03_09.jpg

Meanwhile, I have very good luck at home: via event, Vilcashuaman's production goods change to Diamonds from something ordinary, Corn I believe. Combined with Cuzco producing gold, we now have a couple of rich provinces.

This also gives us a small prestige bonus.

03_10.jpg

In the new year, we can recruit more advisors. Our original one-star manpower/force limits advisor is replaced with a six-star of the same type, and I also add two mediocre military advisors of other kinds.

One or two of these will have to be changed soon (explained later) but with a war going on and a starting economy that can withstand it, I might as well take all the bonuses I can.

03_11.jpg

Manco Capac again reaches a province before the worn-out remainder of the Huanca army, this time the third enemy province of Cajamarca. That battle is won handily, so afterwards we have a siege going on in all of their provinces.

The enemy army is bounced to Huanuco and back until it's finally annihilated in Cajamarca.

The Huanca Tribal Council starts begging for peace when the army is destroyed, but this is naturally rejected. All that's left to do for Manco Capac in this war is to adjust troop numbers in sieges and send badly damaged regiments back home to heal. Any Huanca resistance is over.

03_12.jpg

Surrounding countries smell blood and declare war on the poor Huanca tribe, but that's obviously in vain with us sieging all the land.

In late May, Chibchaya is the first nation in our region to expand, taking two provinces (in pink) from small Quito (the blue nation). This makes allying with them seem like an even better idea, I don't want to take them on unless it's on my terms...

03_13.jpg

We get our first Great Man event this early, however it's one of little use. I do build the troops though. Another event is more useful, giving us cash.

03_14.jpg

The siege of Huanuco is won in October. However, with all the other provinces of Huanca behind their capital Huancavelica from our point of view, I'll have to wait until I can annex.

Disaster strikes our province Chuquipaya in November - a plague. We try to alleviate the population however possible.

03_15.jpg

Down south, Mapuche is hurt by their Pantheism: they're at war with the large Aymara, who can simply take the province of Bio Bio without negotiations.

03_16.jpg

In February 1358, Túpac Amaru, our new heir, is born. He's an ugly 3/4/4...

Meanwhile, I have some spare cash so I decide to construct Ballistas in each province. It's a national decision that gives +1 % defensiveness for 10 ducats. The improvement is small but so is the price.

All sieges are finally won by April 20th. However, there's a problem with annexation: looking at the infamy stats for the large Aymara, it can be seen that crossing the large tribe limit - which we will with these acquisitions - is a huge burden regarding infamy. Our limit is 22 now, so make your own conclusions...

03_17.jpg

A chamber in the Cuzco palace. Manco Capac is meeting with representatives from the Huanca, Aymara and Chibchaya Tribal Councils.

Manco Capac: "What are you talking about friends? How come I can't just take the Huanca lands without repercussions? From what I've seen, there's been a lot of leeway in these matters before."

Aymara councilman: "Yes, but that all changes when your tribe becomes larger. Trust me, my people know."

Chibchaya councilman: "It's all about maintaining balance. If anyone tries to achieve dominance by going on a conquering spree, the rest of the tribes rise to counter that. Even as your allies, we can't let such transgressions slide. And I don't think your own people will want to see such actions either."

Huanca councilman: "You know, maybe you can just take a small part of our lands. Or hey, we've got all this nice cash..."

Manco Capac: "Nobody asked you anything, you're just here to hear the peace terms when I decide them. Now where were we... Right. But I can't just take the faraway lands and leave their capital in our way! Isn't there any way to make this acceptable to you?"

Aymara councilman: "If it was up to just us, maybe - MAYBE - we could think of something. But the other tribes will never accept such abrupt expansionism. Healing the wounds is always a slow process."

Those in the meeting turn to look when they hear some kind of commotion from the hallway. A young man who must have just recently come of age appears in the chamber. Agitated guards scramble to catch him but stop - they seem wary to enter the chamber.

03_18.jpg

Yahuar Hacuac Chilche: "Yo!"

Chibchaya councilman: "Who is that man?!?" The councilman's eyes shine with enthusiasm and appreciation.

Yahuar Hacuac Chilche: "A youngster looking for work in the court you doofus." He turns towards Manco Capac. "I see you're having a meeting. I don't care, I just barged in to ask for a job. I'm a trained diplomat."

Manco Capac: "A diplomat? I'm sorry but you don't seem very competent, judging by your behavior."

Yahuar Hacuac Chilche: "I was the best of my class actually. Not that that's much of an accomplishment, our schools suck. Not much educational culture going on with all the fighting. So maybe you should do something about that instead of questioning my skills you twit!"

Manco Capac: "Why you little... Guards! Have this man behea..."

Aymara councilman: "Wait! You hire this dude and your instant annexation of Huanca will be totally fine!"

Manco Capac: "Huh?!? It just becomes acceptable by employing some fresh out of school diplomat wannabe of questionable talent? And without any delay to boot?"

Chibchaya councilman: "Definitely. Send this kid running around the different tribes and no-one will remember your heinous acts soon."

Yahuar Hacuac Chilche: "Damn right they won't! They'll have better things to worry about when Yahuar Hacuac Chilche is in da house, those mothaf..."

So, in game terms, I have no choice but to hire a Diplomat advisor to increase the limit. I'm lucky - our cultural tradition is just 17.4 % but we get a two-star (no idea how a one-star would have behaved himself...). No need to replace but one advisor (I choose to drop the morale guy as we need all the discipline we can get).

Huanca is swiftly annexed, bringing us to our new infamy limit.

03_19.jpg

Ballistas are built in the new provinces. Later, I'll be able to expand the army, but for now I can just wait for manpower to be replenished and for WE and Infamy to go down.

Here's a shot of our new lands (in pink) - notice that we now border both Chimu and Chibchaya, giving us a border with all the big countries in the area...

03_20.jpg

So two years in and already at the BB limit! :eek:

That certainly puts a dampner on things. The conquest of South America will have to proceed more slowly than planned. Let's hope for a few cores to recover.