+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Canvas Worldmap for Victoria 2

Art - Games - History Alexspeed's Avatar
    92 games registered

200k clubAchtung PanzerHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: Armageddon
    Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    DiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossKing Arthur IIThe Kings Crusade
    MagickaMajesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionPenumbra - Black Plague
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesHearts of Iron: The Card GameCK2: Holy Knight
    EU3 Collectors EditionKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Blog Entries

The Canvas Worldmap for Victoria 2

Alexspeed´s Canvas Worldmap for Victoria 2

Also try out:
    Alexspeed´s Untransparent Map Mod for Victoria 2.
    Alexspeed´s SexiiColours Intense for Victoria 2.
    Alexspeed´s Clear Map Overlay for Victoria 2.
    Also included in:
    Alexspeed´s MIP - Map Improvment Package for Victoria 2.

Ladies & Gentlemen,
    hereby i present you another modification that could improve your Victoria 2 Map.
    When i first saw the Victoria 2 Map, i thought, well... thats alot of green.
    I decided to do something against that

Dont get me wrong, Paradox did a great job with their V2 Worldmap, and it looks great,
    but for my taste its too intense after a while, and i wanted something else,
    something that looks alittle more artistic and like its drawn maybe.

So i did my best, and after much work its finally done, the Canvas Worldmap!

I had a lot of trouble making the texture borders dissapear,
    dont ask me how i did it (it involved alot of patience and some black magic ).

Sadly the engine itself sometimes shows this borders anyway,
    you can notice them too on the vanilla map if you look closley,
    theres not much more that can be done about it i guess,
    but i really did all i could to make it as unnoticable as possible.

This first (to my knowing) World Map Texture modification shows also that it is possible to mod this map completly,
    and its just a beginning, there could be much more done to it,
    and i hope i can get you another one thats even more altered in some time

The Textures themself are not bigger than the original ones,
    so your performance shouldnt be affected at all.
    You also dont need to rebuild your Map cache, all you have to do is to replace 3 files.

Also its compatible with my SexiiColours Intense Mod and my Clear Map Overlay Mod.
    Danevang's V2 Map Fertilizer, is compatible too in its current version 1.01.

I hope you will enjoy the Canvas Worldmap

More Pictures in the following posts.

The Mod:

This Mod replaces all world textures (near and far zoom) and the world colormap with modded ones,
    therby providing a completly new map experience.

The changes are discreet, all textures are lower saturnated and have now
    a slight sepia tone, also there is now a slight canvas pattern on them
    and the actual texture is alittle rougher, more like painted.

I wanted to create something thats easy on the eye, while still looking decent.
    I think it also looks alittle more realistic in the far zoom.

Its hard to describe, and the pictures that i made dosent do the mod really justice, the best to see it is to try it

I did test it on my machine without any problems.

If you want to give feedback or encounter any problems with this modification, please let me know in here

The Work:

The first Version of this Mod was created on Sept. 05, 2010
    It is intended for use with Victoria 2 - 1.1 & 1.2

This mod is tested and works fine with Victoria 2 - Version 1.2!

You are free to use this mod with your original of Victoria 2
    You may redistribute freely, but dont claim it as your own work nor charge money for it.

The latest release is Canvas Worldmap 1.1

Included in this Release:
    - 1 folder with subfolder
    - 1 .dds-file
    - 2 .tga-files
    - 1 readme.txt file

Please note that this mod is currently untested by the creator with the Victoria 2 Expansion - A House Divided.

As Paradox changed alot on the UI and some of the map modes, its likely that it wont work as its intended to if you use it with the Expansion.
    So if you choose to try it out, do it on your own risk and be prepared to reinstall the game/uninstall the mod in case it dosent work.
    If you do try it out, please report back if you had any issues.

I plan to get back on the mod eventually to make it work with the expansion if its needed, but i have no timefrane yet for this in mind.
    Thank you in any case for your interrest and support =)

UPDATE 23/07/2012: Iulius Agricola reported in this post that the mod works with the Victoria 2 Expansion - A House Divided

The Download:

click here: Canvas Worldmap 1.1

Mirror1.1 (not jet ready)

To Use:

Go to your "..\Victoria 2\map\terrain" Folder,
    make a backup of the "colormap.dds", "texturesheet.tga" and "texturesheet2.tga" files that are in there,
    save them at a secure place or rename them, in case you want to revert to the original map textures.

Then copy the 3 files from the mod archive in your "..\Victoria 2\map\terrain" Folder.

Launch Victoria 2 and enjoy!

Changelist:

1.0: initial release

1.1: changed .dds file compression format + brightened the colormap.dds alittle.

Old Versions:

Canvas Worldmap 1.0, Mirror1

------------ Pictures in the following Postings --------------
    Last edited by Alexspeed; 20-05-2013 at 22:19.
    Platypus rutilus, in hoc signo vinces - In honorem Paradox!
    Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign for a diseased mind! – Terry Pratchett
    ----------- -----------
    Alexspeed´s MIP - Map Improvment Package and Untransparent Map Mod for Victoria 2.
    Alexspeed´s Canvas Worldmap, SexiiColours Intense and Clear Map Overlay for Victoria 2.

Mount & Blade Custom Flag Tutorial - Alexspeed´s Victoria 2 Wallpapers and Loadscreens & Wallpapers for EU3

Member of The Iconians Club 50 and the 200k Club - - Proud Owner of the SAS Award for Forum Dedication.
    My finished Victoria 2 AAR Contest - My AwAARds: Fan of the Week: 7-Nov-2010

92 games registered

200k clubAchtung PanzerHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: Armageddon
    DiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossKing Arthur IIThe Kings Crusade
    MagickaMajesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionPenumbra - Black Plague
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesHearts of Iron: The Card GameCK2: Holy Knight
    EU3 Collectors EditionKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Blog Entries

Pictures for the Canvas Worldmap Mod

Pictures for the Canvas Worldmap Mod:

Version 1.0

Details, max zoomed in, you can see the pattern:

Middle Zoom:

Far Zoom:

Last edited by Alexspeed; 06-09-2010 at 13:38.
    Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign for a diseased mind! – Terry Pratchett
    ----------- -----------
    Alexspeed´s MIP - Map Improvment Package and Untransparent Map Mod for Victoria 2.
    Alexspeed´s Canvas Worldmap, SexiiColours Intense and Clear Map Overlay for Victoria 2.

Mount & Blade Custom Flag Tutorial - Alexspeed´s Victoria 2 Wallpapers and Loadscreens & Wallpapers for EU3

Member of The Iconians Club 50 and the 200k Club - - Proud Owner of the SAS Award for Forum Dedication.

92 games registered

Blog Entries

reserved

Reserved
    ----------- -----------

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourVictoria: Revolutions
    Victoria 2Victoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

i got a question, how do you make the political make not transparent. by that i mean when you zoom into select an army it is looks really bad how the underlying terrain shows through the political colouring. in vicky1 it didnt do that. is there any way you can see alexspeed that this can be corrected?

also the borders would look better i think if they were just a straight red line and not dashed.

92 games registered

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by takedown47 View Post
    i got a question, how do you make the political make not transparent. by that i mean when you zoom into select an army it is looks really bad how the underlying terrain shows through the political colouring. in vicky1 it didnt do that. is there any way you can see alexspeed that this can be corrected?

also the borders would look better i think if they were just a straight red line and not dashed.
    I know what you mean (i personally like that the terrain map shines through on the political map),
    but i donk know if there is somewhere a value you could change so it isnt transparent any more,
    maybe somewhere in "..\Victoria 2\gfx", but i havent seen jet something that would relate to that.

I could think of a workaraound, like making all textures and the worldmap the same solid colour,
    but that would logically give no information then on the terrain map and this mapview would look plain and bohring.
    But jeah, then there wouldnt be anything there that could shine through and it would look solid on the political map.

If i come across such a value to change that, i will let you know.

The Borders are not in the scope of this specific mod,
    i might give them a try at a later time, not sure what can be changed there,
    borders are delicate, at least they allways where in former Paradox Games.

What do you think about the new textures?

EDIT:

After a closer look at the files i think i found whats responsible for the transparency,
    I bet its the "colormap_political.dds" in "..\Victoria 2\map\terrain". (my best guess)

I havent done jet anything with that, but i might give it a try and see if i can erase the transparency.
    But thats for another mod...

EDIT2:

No, the "colormap_political.dds" defines the shadow on the political map,
    must be something else...
    Last edited by Alexspeed; 05-09-2010 at 10:01.
    ----------- -----------

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourVictoria: Revolutions
    Victoria 2Victoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

i also noticed the colormap_political and thought it might work so i went ahead and painted europe from grey to black but it only had an effect on the darkness of the map when zoomed right out. when zoomed close in it made no difference.

Great mod, but what don't understand is why there isn't any tundra or snowy regions in Scandinavia or Russia? Would be nice to see a more varied terrain, slightly more green for Jungles, tundra and snow for the northern hemisphere and mountainous regions. Everything else look OK.
    "The Filipino is worth dying for"

Ninoy Aquino.

MDS Modern Day Scenario 2003 - 2050: Acting Manager
    http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/....03-Compatible

San_Felipe colouring mod.
    http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...d.php?t=496514

HoI3 - Modern Warfare for TFH
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/hearts-of-...modern-warfare
    http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...n+day+scenario

HoI3 - Black Ice
    http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...-Black-ICE-TFH

92 games registered

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by San_Felipe View Post
    Great mod, but what don't understand is why there isn't any tundra or snowy regions in Scandinavia or Russia? Would be nice to see a more varied terrain, slightly more green for Jungles, tundra and snow for the northern hemisphere and mountainous regions. Everything else look OK.
    Thank you, glad you like it

To your question:
    Because there arnt any tundra or snowy regions in Scandinavia or Russia in the unmodded game either. This mod dosent change the clima or terrain features of any region. Its purly a graphical mod.

To change the clima or terrain of any provinces wasnt my intention at all,
    but i am sure it can be done.
    ----------- -----------

Very nice looking graphics. A considerable improvement IMHO.
    Have a great day.

92 games registered

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sentinal 6 View Post
    Very nice looking graphics. A considerable improvement IMHO.
    Have a great day.
    Thank you Sentinal 6, glad you like it.
    Good day to you too
    ----------- -----------

Achtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    Darkest HourDeus VultEast India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSengoku
    Supreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Warlock: Master of the ArcanePride of NationsCK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
    Crusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
    Crusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: CharlemagneEUIV: Art of War

Nice work.

92 games registered

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Olaf the Unsure View Post
    Nice work.
    Thank you Olaf

I am happy i get replys, i wasnt sure if such a mod yould be wanted at all
    ----------- -----------

92 games registered

Blog Entries
    Mirror Link to Strategyinformer hosting added
    ----------- -----------

Could you merge all 3 of your mods into one? I think they would go great together :P

92 games registered

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nabobalis View Post
    Could you merge all 3 of your mods into one? I think they would go great together :P
    Thank you for the suggestion

I will do that, but i also want to include something more and still need the permission to include it, till then, just install them one by one.
    ----------- -----------

Quote Originally Posted by Alexspeed View Post
    Thank you for the suggestion

I will do that, but i also want to include something more and still need the permission to include it, till then, just install them one by one.
    That is what I've done. It is some really nice work

92 games registered

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nabobalis View Post
    That is what I've done. It is some really nice work
    Thank you, i have now 2 other map ideas in my head allready to change the worldmap even further
    ----------- -----------

92 games registered

Blog Entries
    Canvas Worldmap 1.1 has been released:

All who downloaded the Version 1.0, please update to Version 1.1

I changed the .dds file compression to use the one the original game file uses.
    I also tinkered a bit with the colourmap.dds and made it a littlebit brighter, so the World isnt looking all so dark any more, but its a minor difference.

Besides the small optical difference its the same to 1.0, but the compression i used with 1.0 could mean a difference to the game engine, so its better to use the same compression format the original file has.

changes in 1.1:

1.1: changed .dds file compression format + brightened the colormap.dds alittle.

The Download:

click here: Canvas Worldmap 1.1

Image:

As you can see the changes are minimal, its a little brighter,
    therefore you can see the pattern also a little better

Last edited by Alexspeed; 08-09-2010 at 00:25.
    ----------- -----------

Field Marshal
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteHeir to the ThroneVictoria: Revolutions
    Victoria 2

It might be my LCD screen... but to my eyes the map looks very unformly brown. Did you test how it shows up on different monitors?

92 games registered

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathan07 View Post
    It might be my LCD screen... but to my eyes the map looks very unformly brown. Did you test how it shows up on different monitors?
    I have only one Monitor at the moment connected, so i did only test it on that one, its a bright LCD so it could be that it comes out darker than i intended it to on less bright Monitors.
    ----------- -----------

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast