• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
TRANSYLVANIA

dz7yvo.jpg

Entry 95

Shortly after the end of the war, Range climbed aboard a small private merchant ship that was to take him to Ireland. Alina and the kids were waiting for him. Erin and Richard were now thirteen years old and they had never laid eyes on their father. They couldn’t wait to have their father with them.

Range was finished with the army and with time travel itself. He couldn’t wait to begin his new life with his family. He had a lot of catching up to do.

The world was truly at peace. But, Mother Nature it would seem was not in a friendly mood. As dark storm clouds formed above, the vessel “Mary Beth” the ship Range was on set sail from Kyoto, Japan.

A gale and heavy rain soon began to batter the ship. As the vessel sailed along the Taiwan Strait a warning shot up from one of the crew, “Maelstrom!” It was a whirlpool of biblical proportions.

“All hands on deck,” ordered the captain, as the bell began to sound.

Everyone including Range took up positions on deck. Many of crew believed their end was near as their ship was soon caught on the rim of the whirlpool.

Range yelled out “toss out the anchor…it might sling shot us away from the whirlpool!”

There was no one close to Range…no one could hear him. Range moved toward the anchor, where two men were standing nearby. With help of the two men Range was able to toss the anchor into the water.

It worked, the ship was soon cast free of the whirlpool. But, mishaps of all mishaps, in his attempts to save the crew Range was thrown from the boat into the whirlpool. Round and round Range went soon to disappear from view.

28ix6a1.jpg

When word arrived of Range’s mishap, Alina could hardly believe it. She sadly stared out to sea.

But, what happened to Range? After being pulled down the funnel, Range hit the strait floor. He was then dragged ten feet along the sea floor away from the whirlpool’s eye, before his body was spit up into the air. He eventually landed back in the water far from the strait and was quickly carried even further away from the whirlpool.

The next morning a man named Oda stood over a still body along the shore of Izumo, Japan.

The man from the sea was not breathing, but suddenly he began choking from the sea water that was being forced from his lungs.

“You are safe,” Oda said to the stranger. “I pulled you from the sea. Do you remember anything?”

“I can’t even remember my name.”

“Your name is Rangemura, and you should be eternally grateful to me for my saving you.”

“I am grateful,” said Range, before pausing to make a point. He stared into Oda’s eyes for a moment to make sure he the had a right to say what he was thinking. Then, he knew he was right about Oda just by the look in the man’s eyes. “But, that only goes so far.”

The next day, Oda and his followers, twelve in all followed him moved toward Kyoto to have an audience with the Emporer Gokomatu Yamato. Rangemura also choose to go with them, along with Matsuo Basho.

The year is 1399.

Rangemura could not remember anything of his past, not even the reason why he was in the sea. If asked he couldn’t even describe himself to someone. But, he was a man of strong Japanese features…brown eyes and black hair. Yet, maybe there was something inside of him that couldn’t be disguised, or denied…his inner man…the man he truly was and still is to this very day.

Last edited:
Whirlpool of time vortex followed by some "folding" of the space time continumum and a brow

That pretty much sums it up...yeah...thanks. I couldn't have said it better.

Last edited:
TRANSYLVANIA

Entry 96

dz7yvo.jpg

3rd of April 1823.

Range never returned. Although, Alina knew he was still alive, she felt it was time to take Erin and Richard to her world. With the help of Sir Farly she returned to her world, saying farewell to the thought she would ever see Range again.

Last edited:
Very good stuff, a fine ending which ties in nicely with Range's current adventure in Japan. From the updates it truly does seem as if Oda has some great power, I had until now thought of him as an advesary Range would easily overcome, I'm not quite so sure anymore. Still, very good stuff, congratulations on having ended an excellent AAR and I'm now off to catch up with Range in Japan.

And so ends...Transylvania, now off to Japan and some more unibrow action

Japan...hopefully I'll be able to complete the AAR.

Very good stuff, a fine ending which ties in nicely with Range's current adventure in Japan. From the updates it truly does seem as if Oda has some great power, I had until now thought of him as an advesary Range would easily overcome, I'm not quite so sure anymore. Still, very good stuff, congratulations on having ended an excellent AAR and I'm now off to catch up with Range in Japan.

I hope you enjoy Japan AAR my friend.

And, thank you very much. I really appreciate you and everyone that reads and comments on the AARs. Otherwise, there would be no reason to continue writing them.

TRANSLYVANIA

dz7yvo.jpg

Entry 97

Sir Farly as he is known brought Alina, Erin and Richard back to her time. The twins were now sixteen years of age and now they were expected to live in today’s world..a world they could never belong.

Sir Farly whether he knew it or not was a bad influence on the twins. From the moment they arrived he filled them with all the tales of their father. He also told Erin that she was like her father as she was a traveler like her father.

On that day, Erin told her brother that she wanted to travel back in time to find their father.

Richard was quite put off. “And, what,” he asked, “and what leave me here to grow old without you…and what about mother?”

“Oh, silly,” she replied. “Don’t you know…why if I left this very instant I could be gone for hundreds of years, only to return the moment I left. Mother wouldn’t be any wiser of the fact that I had traveled unless you opened your big mouth and blabbed what I had done.”

“Then, if you have any idea of leaving me here, without you…you better think twice, and take me along.”

“All right,” she said, “I shall then.” She held out her hand to her brother.

“What,” he asked, hesitantly, “now?”

“No time like the present,” she smiled.

“But, where to?”

Erin thought for a moment. Then, her eyes lit up. “I know…Sir Farly said I was once queen of Ireland.”

Richard held out his hand to his sister. “Take my hand, my queen and we'll be off to rule your humble subjects!"

"If not Ireland...we'll try somewhere else until we find father. After all, we do have over 400 years to find him."

"...Are you sure we'll be gone for only moments?"

Last edited:
Irish...humble...
:rofl:

Well, that's Richard for you. At times, he has to be reminded to engage (too late) his filter after saying things he should have kept to himself...then, other times you have to laugh as he catches you off guard with what comes out of his mouth. In other words he's a character. (I have to watch my typing.)

As for Erin, you know what you'll get if you tangle with that wild cat.

Last edited:
TRANSYLVANIA

dz7yvo.jpg

Entry 98

On January 1, 1821, at a dock in Kyoto, Japan, Erin and Richard search for Range their father.

“You don’t think we’ve missed father,” asked Richard.

“I don’t believe so…I won’t believe it…I can’t let myself believe it,” replied Erin.

The twins had just arrived back from the future. Now, they search furiously out to sea.

First, Erin then Richard spotted a small craft in the far distance moving away from the dock.

“Might I be of some assistance?” Asked a simple looking man, who’s back had been turned to them all the while they had been on the dock. They had passed him not giving him as much as a second thought. The man didn’t appear to be of the military…he wasn’t in uniform.

“No," snapped Richard.

“Quiet Richard,” said Erin scolding her brother. “Would you be so kind as to tell us the name of that craft?”

“Certainly,” said the man, “it’s the Mary Beth.”

“That was the name of father’s ship,” said Richard.

“Well, I wouldn’t g as far as to call that rickety old garbage carrier, a ship, now,” said the man in a soft tone.

“We’re too late,” moaned Erin.

“Too late for what?” asked the man.

“Too late to keep our father from setting off on ill-fated voyage.”

“MY good man,” said Richard, “you must take us to that boat this instant.”

The man stared out to the Mary Beth, knowing the foolishness of such a request. “Not a chance of catching her...she’s got a full head of wind and all I have is this row boat…but, you’re welcome to it.”

“You mock us,” Erin snapped.

“Not at all, miss,” said the man before smiling kindly, one of his cheeks lifting up.

To Be Continued…

Last edited:
Now I'm even more bamboozled than I was from reading the Samurai update! Certainly consider me intrigued, looking forward to seeing how this pans out.

Now I'm even more bamboozled than I was from reading the Samurai update! Certainly consider me intrigued, looking forward to seeing how this pans out.

The two AARs are actually connected.

TRANSYLVANIA

dz7yvo.jpg

Entry 99

Erin, teary eyed, stared out to the Mary Beth disappearing in the distance. “Father...”

Richard turned to the man on the dock, asking almost demanding, “My good man...tell us, if you saw our father get on that boat?”

The man’s back was turned to them as he answered in a simple uncaring manner. “If you’re referring to Marshall Range...yes, he boarded the Mary Beth...and, he’s on it yet.”

“And, Mary Beth will carry father to his grave,” said Erin, mournfully.

“NO,” replied the man, “not to his death...he will save every man on that boat...and, begin a new journey...one that I have just completed.”

“How could you know that?” asked Richard.

The man turned, smiling his half smile. Up to this point neither Erin, nor Richard had looked into the man’s eyes. “I once got on that boat," said the man, "but, I completed that journey and I’m not about to take it twice.”

Richard, instantly recognized the man from a photograph his mother had given him, and was astonished.

Erin’s face lit up as she turned and rushed toward Range her father. “FATHER!”

“But, how,” Richard stuttered, “If you’re on the boat?”

“The mysteries of time travel, my son...the mysteries of time travel.” Range hugged both his kids, before stating and asking the obvious. “I think it’s high time that we hurry home...don’t you?”

Next to Range’s feet on the dock sat a duffle bag filled with gifts for Erin and Richard, and Alina. Oh, yes, inside the bag there was also a small wooden box that he had kept as a small memento of someone he once knew.

If you’re wondering how this reunion came about...I guess you’ll have to read Samurai for the answers. Keep in mind...at this point, both Range’s (Rangemura included) were the same age. What the Range facsimile experienced, so did the real Range experience... for they were one in the same...but, the sharing of experiences was only one sided...the facsimile shared experiences, but the true Range did not share what he knew, or what he experienced.

Ah...I can’t do that to you...The young Range that was in chains outside of time... who had been charged with the crime of sending his facsimile traveling through time made many journeys after dispatching Rangemura...his last journey was Transylvania which brought him to the very dock moments after his facsimile sailed off on the Mary Beth.

Much more is to be revealed in Samurai to round out the explanation to form a full circle.

As for this real Range being forewarned of what was to be...you’ll have to read the rest of Samurai.

Now, with the end of this journey the real Range swore this was his final journey... Transylvania...Samurai being one in the same...as were all his journeys as they were all connected...as if they were one in the same journey.

THE END...maybe...not a chance

Last edited:
THE END...maybe...not a chance

Maybe not quite the end but a very lovely possible ending. I like how all the strands from Range's various journeys are being drawn together and Range is gaining the ending, the possible ending at least, that he deserves. Now to read on with Samurai and find out how this all came about!

Maybe not quite the end but a very lovely possible ending. I like how all the strands from Range's various journeys are being drawn together and Range is gaining the ending, the possible ending at least, that he deserves. Now to read on with Samurai and find out how this all came about!

I'm looking forward to this as well. Tonight, I'll post for SAMURAI for tomorrow's (EST) reading...and, then try to post twice a week.

As for this ARR (Transylvania) there's only one more post. It'll be the 100th.

TRANSYLVANIA

dz7yvo.jpg

Entry 100

When Range, Erin and Richard returned to the present day, they appeared on Main Street of the town of Lake Ronkonkoma, Long Island, New York; a mile south from where they live in Lake Grove. Along the streets of this small merchant district the flags that lined the sidewalks weren’t American...instead. all the flags were Japanese...you know the kind...white background with a big red circle in the middle.

The streets were strangely silent...no one was about...even cars were not to be seen. Shops were closed, their front windows bare. It was a ghost town and it was in the middle of the day.

Suddenly, from down the street there came this strange sound of quickly marching feet of soldiers. Their cadence was a funny sort of canter, their knees rising up toward their waists. It was the occupying Japanese army.

Oh yes, something else had just appeared on the scene...there were pictures of the world dictator Mahâkâla plastered everywhere, as well as his female counterpart MahâkâlI...of course her poster was much smaller and always displayed at a lower height than any of Mahâkâla posters.

It was about this time that an old shopkeeper motioned for Range and the twins to move to the safety of his shop. The shopkeeper scolded Range for being foolish endangering himself as well as the youths. Then, he became silent as he stared into Range’s eyes, and gazed at his clothes. “Of course you have no idea of what has transpired while you were gone," he said, "none of you do.”

The Old shopkeeper went on to explain what happened in the last few days. “The world changed slowly at first...brought on by waves...each wave brought more shocking developments. The last one was only an hour ago...that’s when they appeared...the Japanese soldiers.”

The world had been taken over by the Japanese...the entire world...and, not for the good... Mahâkâla was a hard taskmaster...freedom and rights had been erased from the human vocabulary. The world’s military, other than the Japanese army didn’t exist, as if they hadn't for a long time...in fact, the Japanese army was composed of all races and creeds as if it was always so...as if history had been rewritten.

“I don’t know who you are friend, or where you come from” said the old shopkeeper, “but, with you appearing out of nowhere I sort of hope you’ve shown up to set things right.”

When Range and the twins arrived at home and they stepped through the door, Alina’s ’s tears flowed as she rushed to Range’s tender embrace. She was confused and thankful that Range was at home.

After a while Range moved into the study to ponder what he could do to change what had taken place. That’s when he heard Alina’s mother let out a scream, before hitting the floor. “I guess grandma found ODA.” Turning back Range was staring into the face of an old friend that had suddenly arrived from beyond time.

“Hello Range...did you miss me?” Sir Farly asked.

Range paused briefly, before responding. “I guess killing Rangemura didn’t work.”

“Not this time Range, I’m afraid...”

Range hemmed and hawed for a moment before wondering out-loud, “what a minute...he can't be here to ask me to knock Rangemura off again?”

“Yes,” Farly explained, “but, it’s a bit more complicated than that.” Farly then paused, noting Range’s expression of disbelief. “Well, what are you waiting for...get your hat and coat. Tomlinson is looking forward to speaking to you again. He’ll explain everything to you...on what you have to do.”

“There's no reason for me to see Tomlinson." Range paused to ponder, "Another journey?” He asked, knowing and fearing the answer. “And, I bet it’s going to be a long one.”

“I’m afraid so...” Farly paused very briefly before he hurried to explain, “but not as long as usual...only about two-hundred and fifty years or so…7th of December 1552 to be exact."

“Where to?”

“First to take care of Rangemura...then France.”

“FRANCE,” exclaimed Range. “If I remember correctly France wasn’t doing too well in that timeline…two provinces.”

“Four,” Farly corrected Range.

"Well, why come to me?"

“Well, we feel you can turn France around in time to stop Mahâkâla...and, foil his plans and put everything back to how it was.”

Range hung back not knowing what to think.

Early exasperated, snapped, “Well, get a move on...do you think we have all day?”

“Frankly, yes…just tell me one thing…why me and not a younger me.”

“You’re the elder statesman…if you can’t change things back no one can.”

“But, why France…and, a France that’s on its last breath?”

“Simply stated," Farly said, straining to explain, “France is the only country nobody really sees them as a major ruling nation. When you make them into a great country and you stop Mahâkâla no one will ever complain if we wiped the entire journey out of existence and make France…into France again.”

“I don’t know about that Alexander, there’s about sixty-four million Frenchmen that might object.”

Range accepts the charge to make the rather puny country of France into a great nation (temporarily). He will begin in the year of 1552. The Regents believe that by the year of 1740, Range will have made France into a powerful nation and then lead them against the great Japanese Empire of Samurai. His main duty then is to reduce Japan to the island nation they began with in 1399 of that very journey. He'll have those last eighty years to make that so.

But, that of course is the third AAR of this trilogy. The older Range will have to range back in time to 1552 of the Samurai journey and try to dismantle the juggernaut known as the Japanese empire.

“Good luck Range,” said Sir Farly.
“Good luck my boy, and Godspeed,” added Tomlinson, standing beyond time, within his observatory.

17zjo8.jpg

iwptfm.jpg

4he2xg.jpg

The End.

Last edited:
Good to see a final end to this AAR and I love how everything is tying together so nicely with the overall Range story. The new AAR, The Day of Reckoning, looks very promising.

Good to see a final end to this AAR and I love how everything is tying together so nicely with the overall Range story. The new AAR, The Day of Reckoning, looks very promising.

I'm happy its over as well. I just needed to tie the ARRs together.

In the trilogy:
First comes Transylvania, followed by Samurai, and ending with The Day of Reckoning.