• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
TRANSYLVANIA

124k6ci.jpg

Entry 39 - The Trial Conclusion

By the end of the trial, Rudolph had laid down a very damaging strategy in his attempt to prove Katherine’s wrong doings. Through lies and twisting Katherine’s very own words somehow very little hope of her being found innocent remained.

RANGE: Officers…please, bring the two accused forward to bench to hear the verdict.

Katherine, always a strong and independent woman was about to be assisted by her councilor.

2wdda2g.jpg

KATHERINE: Thank you Walter…but, I will stand and walk on my own strength.

Range stared sadly at Katherine.

Under guard both Katherine and Rudolph soon were standing before the judges.

Range picked up a noose to show to both of the accused. Katherine swallowed hard. Rudolph smirked in seeing her reaction.

RANGE: I have in my hands a noose that I tied myself. I can truthfully tell you both that I’m quite familiar to nooses. I have placed them on many a man in my days, as well as I have worn a few myself. (pause) Before passing sentence I need to hear from the both of you. Katherine…I will hear from you first.

KATHERINE: Sort of like a condemned woman’s last words. I know what you are held to do…as you are servant of the king. And, with this being so…you must do whatever you can do to put down all movements that might be regarded as a threat against his throne…regardless of the fact that the movement was meant to bring justice to his people.

RUDOLPH TOWNSEND: What insolence of the woman. The king’s throne and rule is absolute. No one should come against his rights, or natural course of his nation or kingdom. That right of our king to rule over his people was bestowed upon by heaven above…

RANGE: No truer words have been spoken. (pause) But, her remarks are not against the sovernity of our king. She like me believes in the King to do what is right by his people. We have a good king…that’s why I was sent by him.

Range held up the decree from the king…

RANGE: (cont) King Rakoczy I, gave me this decree to try to this case and he names the one he wanted tried. (pause) Katherine…I need you to search your memory to the day the dog was let loose on Father Humble. I will ask you a question and in answering that question make certain of your answer before speaking…

Range held up the note that was written by Troy Townsend.

RANGE: YOUR answer must come as close as possible to what Troy Townsend wrote on this paper.

RUDOLPH TOWNSEND: What my poor cousin…what good is the word of dead man he cannot say one way or another that it was his written word.

RANGE: Oh, didn’t I tell you Troy’s not dead…he has a stay of execution…bring him in! Of course it all hinges on Katherine here answering the question.

Rudolph was beside himself, not knowing what to think.

RANGE: (cont) Katherine…what sort of signal did you see Rudolph here give his cousin Troy Townsend to release the hound that attacked my good friend Father Humble?

KATHERINE: (beat) Rudolph was on his horse.

RANGE: Rudolph Townsend?

KATHERINE: Yes…Troy Townsend and Rudolph Townsend’s eyes met…Rudolph Townsend removed his hat and lowered it to his side. Rudolph Townsend then nodded with a firm movement. Afterward, Rudolph Townsend in a sweeping movement placed his hat back on his head.

Range stared blankly at Katherine. Then looking at Rudolph he spoke.

RANGE: Bingo…Rudolph Townsend you have now been found guilty of the murder of my good friend Father Humble. And, are hereby sentenced to death by hanging. Sergeant of Arms take him away.

RUDOLPH TOWNSEND: And, what the king’s decree?

RANGE: Glad you asked…you see your name is on it. The king had heard what had been taking place here. He wanted me to take care of you. You have a destiny with the gallows.

Range held up the noose.

RANGE: (cont) And, I just happened to have a noose already prepared. Do you have anything to say…Rudolph?

Weeks later, Range said goodbye to Katherine as he headed back to the capital. The miners and their families would now be treated more fairly as the king had sent a commission to over see the town and the mines.

RANGE: (to Katherine) Stay out of trouble.

KATHERINE: You do the same soldier.

RANGE: Trouble is my middle name.” (he chuckled)

As Range rode out of sight, Katherine thought of the many things she might have told him. Still, what she knew she felt was better left unsaid.

She had taken a liking to Range, and she felt he liked her. But, certain things were better left unsaid. Besides there were other secrets…secrets of the future…that were not meant for him to know...yet

She knew Range was a traveler, as she was. She had learned that he was from the year 2010. And, it wouldn’t have been good if he knew she was from 2012 as there would have been too questions…and answers she wasn’t willing to share.

The one thing she did tell him was, “forget about Oma…Alina is the one for you.”

Of course this wasn’t the last time Range saw Katherine.

In mid-June of 1671, Range received a plea from the Catholics living in Zaporozhie. The request came from guess who?

RANGE: (rant) That woman will be the end of me…what did the leaders of Zaporozhie ever do to the Catholics? Saddle my horse…we’re going to war!

rt23p0.jpg

After Range took the entire independent kingdom of Zaporozhie he wasn’t quite sure what to do with it. As it turned the Catholics weren’t really in danger. There was a disagreement but that it was settled unbeknownst to Range before the war began. And, it wasn’t much of a war.

RANGE: Sultan Hetmans…I’ll have to get back to you regarding the peace terms.

Before he left the capital, Range noticed Katherine peering at him from the side of a wall.

RANGE: (playful) I see you!

KATHERINE: I suppose you didn't get my second letter...telling you not to come?

RANGE: Well, maybe it's waiting for me at the post office. (pause) I expect no repeat.

KATHERINE: Of course.

2n1cols.jpg

But terms had to be agreed upon.

RANGE: You may keep your kingdom in tack…however, there are two provisions. First, the Catholics will be treated fairly…second, you will become a Transylvanian vassal.

drdx6w.jpg

Last edited:
A noose and Nogai

A noose, Nogai and Persia...the next war will include Persia. Tonight, possibly, Transylvania grows larger.

NO! I look to the east, to the north, to the west...but, to the south is the true enemy...THE OTTOMANS! Come Friday we shall tame the beast as we drive IT back, AND, RECLAIM THE LAND THAT IS RIGHTFULLY OURS... ONWARD MEN...FOR GOD AND COUNTRY!

Last edited:
A noose, Nogai and Persia...the next war will include Persia. Tonight, possibly, Transylvania grows larger.

NO! I look to the east, to the north, to the west...but, to the south is the true enemy...THE OTTOMANS! Come Friday we shall tame the beast as we drive IT back, AND, RECLAIM THE LAND THAT IS RIGHTFULLY OURS... ONWARD MEN...FOR GOD AND COUNTRY!

Ok then
good luck with that...walks away quietly whistling a tune

You've lost it again Range. Calm down. The mean Ottomen will be gone soon.

Ok then
good luck with that...walks away quietly whistling a tune

It'll be a blood bath...a blood bath...Greece must be freed.

You've lost it again Range. Calm down. The mean Ottomen will be gone soon.

It'll be like awakening from some dream...just answer me this...why did it take me so long to look to cut them down to size? I need help with such matters...enemies all about me...(I think you're right...I am losing it.)

TRANSYLVANIA

124k6ci.jpg

Entry 40

Range stared up at the map on the wall, taking stock of his enemies. The Austrians were to the west, the Scandinavians to the north…and, the Russians to the east. But, it was the thought of the enemy to the south that made his blood boil.

The Ottomans had been somehow given full reign to take and hold the Holy Lands and most of North Africa.

2akbdoz.jpg

But, what really made Range fly into rage…was the thought of yet another prize they also held.

140ajat.jpg

RANGE: Greece…they hold Greece!

War was unavoidable...

30w8oxt.jpg

Most of the battles were a cake walk for the Transylvanian forces. But, Thrace became a slugfest. With no clear victor after two battles…in all, there were three battles for Thrace…the third crowned the victor.

In early May, Range’s force of 30,000 took Thrace. But, two weeks later they were overwhelmed by an Ottoman army of twice their size that was led by their Ahmet Serdar.

Even in victory Serdar found himself in a very bad position. Shortly after victory a sea battle began to rage. His navy would eventually be utterly destroyed by a huge armada of the French and Transylvanians. As for his land forces he had lost a third of his force in retaking Constantinople. And, had reached him that Range had been reinforce and was mounting another attack on Thrace.

With fresh troops Range drove Sedara and his forces from Thrace. That day, he triumphantly rode into Constantinople.

SIR FARLY: (to Range) I dare sir my good man…the Ottoman’s will not give up their capital.

RANGE: You’re right…so, we’ll have to have make them move their capital.

SIR FARLY: Say, what?

RANGE: Didn’t you know sir Farly…I can see the future. It will take two more wars with us and possibly the English…but, they will move their capital…and, then we will have Constantinople, for us to keep.

SIR FARLY: Istanbul…The Turks refer to Constantinople as Istanbul…

RANGE: Turks? You’re a little early to call them Turks aren’t you? Then, again, what’s in a name? Once the city is ours we can call it whatever we like…even New Rome…

SIR FARLY: Is it your plan to take Rome?

RANGE: No one comes right out and challenges Rome…but, why couldn’t there be two Romes?

2rmmog2.jpg

RANGE: (angry) I would have demanded Larissa, if not for the French. (added the following) So...what time are you from...the 1940s...England?

Last edited:
Make those wars quick; I want to see the Golden Horn retaken! Also, the Turks don't call it Istanbul until 1930. Istanbul simply means "the city" and wasn't even colloquially adopted until the Ottoman Empire collapsed in 1923.

Constantinople as the name of the city was officially dropped in favour of the Turkish name Istanbul in 1930

Make those wars quick; I want to see the Golden Horn retaken! Also, the Turks don't call it Istanbul until 1930. Istanbul simply means "the city" and wasn't even colloquially adopted until the Ottoman Empire collapsed in 1923.

I know...remember that both Range and Farly are time travelers. I should have made that more clear. Also, by 1923, the Ottomans were becoming the young Turks.

The following is what I should have included:

RANGE: So...what time are you from...the 1940s...England?

SIR FARLY: Those are quite amazing guesses...

RANGE: Actually...they're little more than educated guesses...remember you called the Ottomans, the Turks.

SIR FARLY: I also corrected you when you called Istanbul...Constantinople...silly of me.

(I dropped the ball - by not including the above lines in the last post)

Last edited:
I know...remember that both Range and Farly are time travelers. I should have made that more clear. Also, by 1923, the Ottomans were becoming the young Turks.

The following is what I should have included:

RANGE: So...what time are you from...the 1940s...England?

SIR FARLY: Those are quite amazing guesses...

RANGE: Actually...they're little more than educated guesses...remember you called the Ottomans, the Turks.

SIR FARLY: I also corrected you when you called Istanbul...Constantinople...silly of me.

(I dropped the ball - by not including the above lines in the last post)
:eek:

TRANSYLVANIA

124k6ci.jpg

Entry 41

With the wars with the Ottoman Empire still fresh in his mind, three events helped to drive Range toward a quick succession of wars.

1. Declaring the statue of Monopolies
2. Forming a Cabinet.

2d85qpt.jpg

3. Austria attacking Bosnia, Serbia and the Ottoman Empire, which ended in a white peace. No sooner had their war ended, Range declared war on the Ottoman Empire to unify the provinces in far south with the rest of the nation.

2uivu52.jpg

It was a short war…shorter than expected. Range hadn’t counted on the Austrian taking aim on the Ottoman empire…but, he had to act…in sort of a land grab.

SIR FARLY: I say Range…this was a spot of bad luck…the Austrian attempt to take some land in your backyard and all.

RANGE: What’s that?

SIR FARLY: Austria…forcing you to go to war against the Ottomans before you were ready. It’ll take an additional war now against those Turks to secure Thrace.

RANGE: That’s true…but, for now, we turn our attention toward Austria...

SIR FARLY: How soon?

RANGE: Immediately…we need to take them down a peg or two…so, they won’t be so eager to go to war in our backyard. But, there’s something I need to take care first…

2cx9og4.jpg

Transylvania was joined in the south. But, there was another move Range felt had to be done. Some unfinished business.

2mcc0eo.jpg

It was finally finished...Hungary was wiped off the map.

RANGE: The Hungarian people wanted that.

SIR FARLY: You don’t really believe that Range…do you?

RANGE: And, why not? Transylvania isn’t perfect I know. But, in Transylvania you can worship as you please, or not at all. And, this experiment known as Transylvania isn’t complete.

SIR FARLY: If you don’t me saying…what about the wars…the wars Range. Is it your intention to make the entire world Transylvania’s playground?

RANGE: No, but I have a dream of making a new Rome…a beacon for the world to marvel at…

SIR FARLY: An Utopia…others have tried and failed, Range.

RANGE: Then let’s toast to the new Utopia, and not the eagle going down in flames.

Last edited:
A new Rome? Taking Rome itself would help in that. ;) :p

TRANSYLVANIA

124k6ci.jpg

Entry 42

Range didn’t wait long before declaring, "The time was right…morale for the Austrian army is low." The Austrians had just fought a war against the Ottoman Empire. Now, they were facing off against a foe that wouldn’t accept a white peace.

30sa8eh.jpg

6r5w6c.jpg

RANGE: WE must choose wisely.

SIR FARLY: At times there's no rhyme or reason to your decisions.

1rvpt2.jpg

xddpqw.jpg

RANGE: Is there still a question?

SIR FARLY: Frankly Yes...

RANGE: I can't take every province in a war.

SIR FARLY: And, why not?

29xhd1w.jpg

RANGE: At times, it's better to end a war with a lesser foe to concentrate on the main target.

Last edited:
It's about time...

TRANSYLVANIA

124k6ci.jpg

Entry 43

Sir Farly thought about all the many wars Transylvania had waged over the last few years...and, the same victims in succession…it was either the Austrians…or, the Ottoman Empire…with a little small nation rampage mixed in between.

2crw0hi.jpg

RANGE: How are we doing Farly old man?

SIR FARLY: We’re doing just fine…it looks like a fine day to take on the Ottomans today…or, is it the Austrian’s turn…I’ve seem to have forgotten?

RANGE: It is a fine day and it the Ottomans, the Albanians, the Serbs and…

Range saw Sir Farly’s sour expression.

RANGE: (cont) Say, what’s eating you?

SIR FARLY: Nothing…nothing…oh, all right if you must know…say…can we take on the Russians?

RANGE: All in good time…all in good time, my good man.

As Range turned and bolted away, Sir Farly could only rubbed his forehead in amazement as he mumbled to himself.

SIR FARLY: At least, this time he didn't call me old. One day when he least expects it the Russians are going to swarm over the border…(Loud) and, I hope we’ll be ready for them!

He then grumbled.

RANGE: Did you say something, old man?

Sir Farly, annoyed, threw his arms and hands at Range.

SIR FARLY: I give up…

Years later, Farly, looking back detailed a quick synopsis of the war.

xqjgno.jpg

FARLY: So it was decided…Transylvania was going to war once again against the Ottomans.

5vx17t.jpg

SIR FARLY: (cont) As if to clear a path to future conquests, the kingdom of Albania was wiped off the map as it became a part of the nation.

2mdjwnp.jpg

SIR FARLY: (cont) I haven’t the slightest idea where our navy was, but the Ottoman Empire slipped a rather large army ashore to attack Athens. They of course were soundly defeated in two battles.

6ohkdv.jpg

SIR FARLY: (cont) Four months later the war was over. Thankfully the Persians gave us military access to move troops about. Otherwise it would take a long time to move troops about the lake…or, the Black Sea. (thinking back…grumbles) Old man indeed…well, I took care of that…no one will ever called me old again…believe you me.

4lmssl.jpg

Last edited:
Old man indeed…well, I took care of that…no one will ever called me old again…believe you me.

4lmssl.jpg

He got a nose job! :eek: