• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
That is a monstrous army...250,000 troops at full strength. That's just a horrific tidal wave of enemies!

I hope that you can fight back and restore the situation!

That's certainly the long-term plan, but in the short term, the better part of valour!

A 253 K stack? :eek: I strongly believe that's the largest I've ever seen. But of course, it's not a smart move to have so many men in one stack. You still cause more casualties - you'll be able to beat them if you can find the time and space to avoid them long enough to regain morale.

The gap might look small by numbers alone, but you're on different sides of the threshold (Land Tech 58) for the final Military Tactics level. That makes a big difference in casualties - along with discipline of course, like you said.

That certainly answers the question as to what tactics does. I've also got Napoleonic infantry and the related artillery and cavalry. I don't think Austria's quite there yet, and even if it is I'm guessing the AI won't switch mid-war (for good reason).

Now that is what I called a stack of death! Quite a surprising reverse considering that everything had been going very well until then. Its nice to see that the AI can still prove a bit of a challenge this last on however. I assume that you have enough of a peace score for a good peace deal regardless. If not, well, I'm sure Austria shall be suffering defeat soon enough once again!

It was a bit of a shock - I just got too cocky and thought I could take them, then forgot what I was doing. My morale evaporated so fast I didn't really have time to monitor the progress of the fight.

Mexico! I don't see that one form too often. :)

Speaking of doomstacks and attrition, in the late game, do you still bother to "march separately, fight together" to minimise attrition, or is it not much of a factor by now?

Mexico is only there because of me! :)

I generally try to keep stacks fairly small and combine when I'm up against a big enemy. I haven't taken the attrition reducing NI, so it's still a fairly big factor in enemy territory, particularly as I'm so far from home.

The reason causaultie are so off is becuase you reloaded.

I believe you're right, but this is the first time I've seen it.

So many pretty regiments... and they are all yours to destroy!
I envy thee!

If you want me to dump 250+ Austrian regiments on you you can have them! :D

Novus Ordo Seclorum: 1795 to 1800

Higashiyama, May 1770 - November 1797

The defeat at Steiermark threw Japan's forces into a panic the like of which was unprecedented in the annals of imperial history. Facing the very real possibility of losing his entire command, Field Marshal Maeda ordered a general retreat to Croatia and the dubious protection of the Japanese fleet.

In the days that followed the disaster it seemed likely that some - if not all - of Maeda's European force would be overtaken by the victorious Austrians. However, Franz II put a greater emphasis on liberating Vienna and opposing the Russians - a more traditional antagonist. If the Habsburg monarch believed that Steiermark had broken Japan's will to fight, he was to find himself very mistaken.

In the Caribbean the reconstituted Transport Fleet under Admiral Hosokawa had finished refitting after its long voyage from the Empire. Aware of the need to shore up the position in Europe, General Suwa's 4th Army was directed to capture Antigua and so bring the Austrian navy to battle.

caribbean1795.jpg

The resulting fight was marred only by a signalling blunder which sent the five remaining cogs Japan possessed into the path of the Austrian frigates, which quickly captured and then scuttled the museum pieces. However, in so doing they denied their comrades aid in an otherwise one-sided battle and were eventually forced to beach and then burn their ships on St. Thomas.

With control of the sea lanes secured, Japan could now concentrate on reducing Austria's possessions in the Caribbean as a prelude to a final reckoning in Europe.

The Bavarian gambit

Field Marshal Maeda had been given a reprieve he did not intend to squander. Having successfully evacuated his troops to Italy - a logistical task he would have taken no small pride in had it not been in the business of a retreat - he had managed to rebuild his troops' shattered morale and received what reinforcements had managed to make the long voyage around Africa.

Japanese scouts had lost contact with the massive Austrian force after Franz II had recaptured Vienna. It was commonly held that the Habsburg army was now engaged against the Russians and Maeda was willing to base his next move on this intelligence.

Although - or perhaps because - Austria was the main threat, the field marshal would concentrate his troops against Bavaria. Knocking the Holy Roman Emperor out of the war would signal Japan's determination to continue the fight and provide Maeda's troops with bases from which to strike at the heart of Austria itself.

The campaign that began in the summer of 1795 quickly silenced the critics who had called for Maeda to step down after Steiermark. The field marshal showed himself the superior general in countless engagements, pressing the Bavarian forces back through Japanese-controlled Austria.

turningthetide.jpg

In the battles prior to the invasion of Bavaria itself Japanese forces inflicted nearly 100,000 casualties against a handful of their own lossess.

By September 1795 - only nine months after Steiermark - the size of Japan's armed forces overtook that of the enemy coalition, although the balance in Europe still favoured the Austrians.

The conquest of Bavaria was a long, drawn-out process. While European armies no longer challenged the Japanese in the field, their fortifications were the best on the planet and progress was slow. However, with no relief in sight and artillery in plentiful supply Japan was able to reduce Bavarian defences unopposed.

barvaria.jpg

By April 1797 the struggle was over and Japan had assumed control of the entirety of Bavaria. The Holy Roman Emperor himself had fled to the Habsburg court vowing to fight on, but his nation had been knocked out of the war.

Taming the beast

Cautiously, Field Marshal Maeda began to extend his forces into Austria, still alert for the possibility of the return of Franz II and the bulk of the Austrian forces. When these finally resurfaced in September 1797 they were a shadow of their former power having been constantly engaged against Russia in the two years since Steiermark. Over 250 Austrian regiments were reduced to only 65,000 men.

stackhunter.jpg

Maeda was not about to pass up a chance like the one that now presented itself. Luring the Austrians into attacking a Japanese force in Dresden, the field marshal quickly directed reinforcements to the battle. Still outnumbered, the Japanese were better organised and better led and the first battle of Dresden seemed to mark the end for the Austrian army.

However, the follow-up battle at Erz was nominally an Austrian victory, as General Miura wavered between resisting the enemy's advance or withdrawing to gain greater support. Despite this, Miura's withdrawal in the face of Austrian pressure inflicted considerable losses at the cost of few casualties of his own.

Maeda decided to take the field himself, relieving Miura of overall command in a move which saw the latter feign a panic in his ranks and retreat in seeming disorder. In fact, the Austrians were being led into a trap which destroyed their remaining infantry and nearly all their cavalry, the latter of which perished in an attempt to cover the withdrawal of the artillery.

Their sacrifice was to be in vain however, as Maeda pursued to Sudety and finally wiped out the Austrian army.

warscore.jpg

Though a minor engagement, the Battle of Sudety marked the end of organised resistance against Japan. The war would continue as the imperial troops fought to bring Austrian cities into submission, but from then on the imperial troops had free reign of the Austrian countryside, barring the occasional patriot uprising.

Kashiwabara, November 1797 -

Sudety had been a triumph for Japan, but its architect had not lived to see it. Three weeks earlier, Emperor Higashiyama had died after a controversial reign of 27 years. Higashiyama left Japan stronger than ever, but from a position of relative isolation the Empire now found its forces stretched across the globe.

This newly-interventionist stance had provoked severe criticism at home. Higashiyama's westernising tendencies had been resented by some, but his wars with first Britain and then Austria had underlined the dangers of an autocratic system.

The succession of his son, Kashiwabara, was greeted by an uprising in Korea which was swiftly suppressed, but more dangerous to the Yamato line was the dissent in the upper echelons of Japanese society. Some of Higashiyama's most ardent supporters insisted that the late Emperor had meant to transform the empire into a republic, while even the more conservative wanted some checks on Kashiwabara's powers.

kashiwabara.jpg

Finally, a compromise was brokered by Duke Teramachi. The emperor would appoint a diet comprised of the foremost nobility, who would advise the court on matters of policy. Kashiwabara would appoint a cabinet from the diet who would be given day-to-day responsibility for running the empire. The Emperor would remain in overall control of policy, but it was hoped that the cabinet and diet would provide a formal mechanism to keep Kashiwabara informed of the climate of opinion. Duke Teramachi was appointed as Japan's first Prime Minister.

The new order

The first task facing the new emperor and his cabinet was ending the Austrian war. Although more keenly aware of the opposition to the conflict, Kashiwabara and Teramachi also knew they had to find a way to withdraw with honour. Russia had ended its war in March 1797, taking four provinces from eastern Austria.

makingpeace.jpg

Meanwhile, other states were taking advantage of Austria's weakness, while Japan itself was steadily occupying all she could.

Finally, the Emperor decided to honour the wishes of his late father and free as many nations as he could. Japan's territorial gains were limited to the province of Moulmein. The other conditions of the peace treaty - signed symbolically at Steiermark in 1800 - saw the liberation of Thuringia, Pegu, Arakan, Styria, Milan, Wurzburg and Mainz.

As Japan entered the 19th century it seemed that she had taken on still more responsibilties in Europe. A Europe whose map she had just radically redrawn.

postwar1800.jpg

France and Russia REALLY need to be dealt with. Also, I still would like to suggest my plan for European bases. Higarashiyama is dead and you could roleplay that his son does not share his sympathies. Also, have you considered continuing this in Victoria.

Last edited:
That was a great campaign! My compliments to the Marshal!

Do you have the EU3 stats program to examine how many total losses there were in that war?

I second the idea of continuing in Vicky. That's a very interesting situation you have worldwide.

Nice war, I knew you'd get the chance to regain morale after that loss. ;) Also, damn you write well. :)

Gotta love the 13 WE Austria got for that one naval battle! :rofl:

That Europe looks absoulutly crazy! frenchmen in the balkans, Russians everywhere! and now Japan winning a war in Europe! :eek: :D

The Russians are certainly profiting from my belligerence. I'm hoping I haven't messed up the European map too much.

France and Russia REALLY need to be dealt with. Also, I still would like to suggest my plan for European bases. Higarashiyama is dead and you could roleplay that his son does not share his sympathies. Also, have you considered continuing this in Victoria.

Higashiyama's plan will be followed for now. I'm sure there will be more wars in Europe to come as Japan is forced to defend the new status quo and then all bets are off.

That was a great campaign! My compliments to the Marshal!

Do you have the EU3 stats program to examine how many total losses there were in that war?

Unfortunately I don't have the stats programme. Losses on Japan's side were light and mostly due to attrition. Austria and Bohemia lost at least the 475,000 troops they entered the war with.

I second the idea of continuing in Vicky. That's a very interesting situation you have worldwide.

Nice war, I knew you'd get the chance to regain morale after that loss. ;) Also, damn you write well. :)

Gotta love the 13 WE Austria got for that one naval battle! :rofl:

Thanks for a very kind compliment! As a fan of your work that means a lot! I think I had a screenshot taken after that battle of Austria on 33 war exhaustion. That quickly cleared itself up, but was very funny.

Now nothing stands between France and Russia...

That's a great concern for Russia, but less so for France. One of the great wonders of this game is how they haven't collapsed yet and why they're still so competitive tech-wise.

Yikes,
nice move to force release though.

It just seems more natural than taking territory in Europe. I wish I could have done more, but the anti-Austria dogpile destroyed my chances of 100 warscore.

State of the Nation, 1699 to 1799

So here we are after 400 years of gameplay and only 21 to go before the end. Japan has come a long way from (relatively) humble beginnings, but so far I think I've managed to stick to my goals of plausible expansion and a technological focus.

Some of you have mentioned the possibility of taking this game into Victoria II. I must admit it's crossed my mind more than once, and for that reason I've taken care not to destroy too many nations that could provide a decent challenge. That said, it'll be a lot of work converting this game into V2 in a way that catches its unique quirks. It is on my long-range to do list though!

This has been a very satisfying century to play. Japan started it off in the Chinese tech group and finishes not only fully westernised but also a world leader! I've tried to capture the flavour of what that would have been like from a cultural point of view, but I can't really do it justice.

I've also run out of ambitions for the final portion of the game. Japan's got obligations to her allies that will be honoured, but I'm not really in the mood for more war, and after Higashiyama's adventures nor are the Japanese people. On the plus side this probably means I can wrap up fairly quickly and start mucking around to convert the save.

Economy

Number of provinces: 90 (78 in 1699; 45 in 1599; 31 in 1499; 19 in 1399)

Annual Census Tax: 1558.08 (1167.39 in 1699; 387.15 in 1599; 146.86 in 1499; 69.69 in 1399)
Per province: 17.31 (14.97 in 1699; 8.60 in 1599; 4.74 in 1499; 3.67 in 1399)​

As you'll note from the above and the screenshot below Japan is filthly rich! Expansion has slowed as most of the additions are from colonies now rather than conquest. We will pick up Moulmein at the end of the Great Austrian War, but hopefully I'll be able to get rid of it in short order. Perhaps I should give it back to Scotland, who once held it.

Per province income is slightly up from 1699, which is a nice bonus. Wasn't sure that would happen what with all the colonising, but I suppose the core of the empire is getting richer all the time. This figure was once of great concern to me as it governed the tech rate, but we're so far advanced now that I'm relaxed about.

I had considered releasing Korea as most of their provinces are poor and it seemed in character for Higashiyama, but the option doesn't show up, so I'm stuck with it for now. Might release them in the conversion to Victoria II.

income1799.jpg

Japan is 50% richer than giant!France, almost twice as well of as Russia and far ahead of everyone else. We've also managed to avoid crazy inflation.

Technology

tech1799.jpg

Monthly investment: 833.6 (275.8 in 1699; 98.6 in 1599; 40.0 in 1499; 20.6 in 1399)
Per province: 9.26 (3.54 in 1699; 2.19 in 1599; 1.29 in 1499; 1.08 in 1399)​

Here's where it gets interesting. For some reason my monthly investment has skyrocketed from 275 to over 800 ducats a month! As a result, my tech rate has drastically improved to the point where I'm ahead of the game. Some of the things I pulled recently, such as declaring war without a CB and switching National Ideas were done because not only is stability cheap, but it's kinda pointless to keep pouring money into research due to the ahead of time penalties. I'm currently doing just that, but only because there isn't much else to do.

techcomparison1799.jpg

All the world bows before Japan's technological might! I'm number one across the board, including beating out those pesky OPM traders! Nice to see Colombia doing well in this list as they're fun in Vicky 2.

Military

Army size: 174/239 (94/148 in 1699; 65/109 in 1599; 32/45 in 1499; 6/28 in 1399)
Army upkeep: 63.6 ducats/month (33.2 ducats/month in 1699; 19.1 ducats/month in 1599; 9.1 ducats/month in 1499; 1.3 ducats/month in 1399)​

Manpower: 139,000 (108,000 in 1699; 75,922 in 1599; 33,498 in 1499; 15,274 in 1399)

The army size has grown quickly as a result of all the recent wars and now costs nearly twice what it did a century ago. Despite this, I never have as many troops as I'd like, which I suppose is realistic enough.

Navy size: 171/85 (74/69 in 1699; 68/81 in 1599; 45/52 in 1499; 37/44 in 1399)
Navy upkeep: 20.9 ducats/month (3.8 ducats/month in 1699; 3.5 ducats/month in 1599; 2.4 ducats/month in 1499; 1.5 ducats/month in 1399)​

Navally I think I've gone a bit overboard (groan :D). I'm now way beyond my force limit and spending over five times what I was 100 years ago. I guess a colonial interventionist power does need a navy after all.

Armed forces comparison: 1699
army1699.jpg

Armed forces comparison: 1799
troopsize1799.jpg

Progress has been steady compared to my competitors, but of particular note is the plight of Austria. As of this screenshot we're still at war and they've been reduced to a mere 5,000 men and less than 9,000 manpower. I bet they're regretting their random colonial aggression now!

Home affairs
overview1799.jpg

Not a great deal to say here, except to note that we no longer have any rivals or threats on the board. We've also become a constitutional monarchy, partly because I'm a bleeding heart liberal and partly because it lets me drop a prestige adviser for someone else. Haven't got around to doing that yet.

Also of note is our small list of best friends, many of whom I've released from oppression. Go Japan!

The Court
court1799.jpg

Where was Emperor Kashiwabara when I was waiting for a decent admin ruler? Nevermind, he's here now. Of greater interest is his heir. Koko is, I believe, a female name, so Japan's about to get its first Empress. That seems to tie in pretty well with the shift to constitutional monarchy. Stats wise the Empress-designate isn't that bad either, and a better soldier than her dad.

If she does live to inherit, I'll lobby to have Vicky 2 renamed in her honour.

sliders1799.jpg

Slider wise we're nearly there. I think I've only got two more moves before the end of the game. One will be to max centralisation, then the other to get a wee bit more free trade-y. That's more a flavour thing than anything else, as it's far too late to matter.

All the national ideas are locked in, although I could easily ditch QFTNW as there's not much more for explorers to do. There's not much I'd want to replace it with though.

Cabinet was another flavour decision. I'm not planning on racking up the infamy, but I thought it went well with constitutional monarchy.

pies1799.jpg

The pies show that Japanese has once again become the largest culture in the empire thanks to the colonisation programme. Apart from that, not much of a change on 1699.

World affairs

And here's Japan's empire and the rest of the world. In fun news, Trebizond has moved its capital to the new world, joining Britain and Aragon as exiles from Europe. France and Castille are also major colonisers, while Russia is slowly expanding eastwards.

Japan in 1799
japan1799.jpg

Asia in 1799
asiaoceania1799.jpg

Europe and Africa in 1799
euafrica1799.jpg

The Americas in 1799
americas1799.jpg

Excellent and beautifully laid out presentation! :)

One thing, the pies don't show up for me?

Very good updates. Austria has been humbled and Europe made even more of a mess! The bit of explanation surrounding the adoption of the 'Cabinet' national idea was very well done. I have to agree with what others have said, the world as it currently is in your game seems nicely positioned for an interesting game of V2, thus I do hope you get the chance to convert the save.

The prospect of trying to manage a late-game world war across many theatres is daunting, but you have pulled it off with aplomb. Congrats!

Now we just need Napoleon.

Absolutely. Need another big bad wolf to inject jeopardy into the last decade-and-a-half of the endgame! :cool:

I would be interested in seeing this transition to Victoria II as well, although I don't really have any idea of how of how to play it.

Lol, All these european powers in excile in their colonies makes me think of Kaiserreich xD

All the exiles are nothing to do with me. Castille's responsible for Aragon, the Pope (!) for Britain and I'm not really sure what the deal with Trebizond is.

Excellent and beautifully laid out presentation! :)

One thing, the pies don't show up for me?

The pies should be working properly. You're not really missing much if you can't see them.

Now we just need Napoleon.

No we don't! Status quo is to be firmly supported.

Very good updates. Austria has been humbled and Europe made even more of a mess! The bit of explanation surrounding the adoption of the 'Cabinet' national idea was very well done. I have to agree with what others have said, the world as it currently is in your game seems nicely positioned for an interesting game of V2, thus I do hope you get the chance to convert the save.

Austria has been humbled, but begins to bounce back, which would indeed make V2 more interesting.

The prospect of trying to manage a late-game world war across many theatres is daunting, but you have pulled it off with aplomb. Congrats!

Absolutely. Need another big bad wolf to inject jeopardy into the last decade-and-a-half of the endgame! :cool:

I would be interested in seeing this transition to Victoria II as well, although I don't really have any idea of how of how to play it.

I was lucky in that Austria didn't really do naval action that well, otherwise chasing down single regiment colony seiges would have become tiresome. The game in Victoria 2 would be less about war, but I have thought about maybe trying to use Japan's clout to pull off some unifications.

Brave New World: 1800 to 1808

Kashiwabara, November 1797 -

With the defeat and dismemberment of the Austrian empire Japan's standing in world affairs reached its zenith, but victory came at a price. Post-war Europe was a cauldron of petty states whose opportunism and rivalries were to produce crisis after crisis for the new Emperor and prime minister Teramachi's cabinet.

The Great Austrian War had been the initiative of Emperor Higashiyama, and if he had had a vision for the post-war world it had died with him. The many nations liberated in the war all looked to Japan as their protector, but the Empire's control over them was tenuous at best. What Japan saw as defensive alliances to preserve the status quo ambitious Europeans viewed as a rampart from which they could sally forth to attack their neighbours.

Unlike his father, Kashiwabara cared little for the welfare of far-away nations, instead preferring to keep Japan out of further fighting and allow its soldiers the rest they deserved. The realities of the situation meant that the Empire would have to keep a substantial garrison in Europe, but it was hoped that this would serve as a deterrent and thus avoid open warfare altogether.

In addition it was decided that Japan needed a strong European friend to help maintain the status quo. France and Russia were the two natural choices as the dominant European states. Prime minister Teramachi favoured a Russian alliance, noting that France had begun to spread aggressively into Asia and could come into conflict with Japanese interests. In particular, the Duke was concerned about the French presence in New Japan and New China, warning that such proximity could lead to friction and possibly war. While accepting these arguments as valid, Emperor Kashiwabara was unable to shake off the francophilia handed down to him by his father. He viewed France as the pinnacle of European civilisation, the Japan of the West, and contended that as a Catholic power its views would carry greater weight with the Italian and German states that Japan now had to deal with.

The debate split the cabinet, and although many sided with Kashiwabara the prime minister and foreign secretary were able to put together a solid body of support for the Russian option. Eventually a compromise was brokered which would see a French relationship pursued first while keeping diplomatic channels open with the Russians.

frenchalliance.jpg

At the same time, the Empire moved to divest itself of one of the spoils of the Great Austrian War. The province of Moulmein was of little interest to Japan, being of limited economic or strategic value. Recognising its prior claim on the region, the government determined to cede the province back to Ayutthaya.

moulmein.jpg

Although some ministers suggested that the Empire ought to have demanded a nominal fee for the handover, both the Emperor and prime minister were adamant that the transfer must be seen as a gift rather than a commercial transaction.

The Milanese crisis

Even as Japanese diplomats began to build bridges with France events in Europe were acquiring a momentum of their own. In Italy the Duke of Milan was enjoying his new-found independence under the protection of not one, but two Empires. Emboldened by this, and viewing the liberation of Milan as a sign that the Duchy was favoured by providence, Duke Guido d'Este moved to assertlong-dormant rights over Tuscany.

The smaller state at once sought out the assistance of Modena, the foremost Italian power, in the hope of forcing Milan to drop, or at least moderate, its claims. Japanese diplomats - while repeatingly assuring the Duke that they would protect Milan's territorial integrity - urged Guido d'Este to exercise restraint. Japan had already fought a long European war and had no desire to be drawn into another.

However, to prime minister Teramachi the situation provided an opportunity. Milan was a firm Japanese ally, while relations with both Tuscany and Modena were frosty to say the least. Teramachi believed that if Milan could be helped to a position of dominance in the Italian peninsula then Japan's hand in European affairs would be greatly strengthened. Accordingly, he gave secret assurances to the Milanese that the Empire would support whatever course of action they chose to take.

Emboldened by this open-ended promise, Guido d'Este dispatched an army to Tuscany as a show of force. Although initially ordered to avoid conflict the move was viewed as an open declaration of war by Modena, which declared its intent to defend its ally. The Milanese appealed to Field Marshal Maeda for assistance, showing him the letters from Teramachi supporting their actions. Far from anyone with the authority to cancel such orders, Maeda mobilised his forces against Modena.

modena1802.jpg

When this news arrived back in Japan it caused a scandal which brought down the Teramachi cabinet. The idea that the prime minister could give assurances behind the back of many of his colleagues, the diet and even the Emperor was too much for even the wily old politician to survive. In the wake of Teramachi's fall the Emperor appointed a constitutional committee to draw up a more formal defintion of the powers of the government.

separationofpowers.jpg

From henceforth, all orders to commanders in the field would need to originate from the Emperor and prime minister together. The diet would be given oversight of all treaties with foreign states and any alliances that were not public knowledge would have no standing. It is ironic to think that the system which had been put in place to prevent the Emperor taking Japan to war on a whim had been brought down by similar actions on the part of its prime minister.

Now that the war was in progress the Emperor was determined to fight it to a successful conclusion. Modenese forces had proved themselves no match for the considerable army that Japan already possessed in Europe and the cabinet agreed that Teramachi's plan of strengthening Milan - though carried out in the wrong way - did have merit.

Having swept through the Italian peninsula, Maeda was forced to embark an expeditionary force for Modena's African colony, where the presence of a sizeable garrison dissuaded the state from making peace. Only when the last hopes of resistance were crushed by Japanese troops was a settlement reached.

modenapeace.jpg

As before, Japan had no desire to take territory in Europe, but had an interest in weakening Modena against Milan. However, even with their lands occupied the Modenese proved stubborn and would not agree to more than the release of Corsica and reparations. Despite protests from some of the more belligerent members of the cabinet, Kashiwabara agreed to the terms.

milanpeace.jpg

The Emperor's judgment was proven to be correct when Milan made its separate peace. The Japanese ally wrested Mantua and Ferrara away from Modena - rich provinces in themselves, but more importantly they provided a corridor between the once divided territories of the Duchy.

It seemed that all of Japan's diplomatic manoeuvring would bear fruit, but there was one cloud on the horizon. During the Modenan war Russia had declared war on France and won a great victory over the power that was fast becoming a firm friend of Japan.

francerussia.jpg

The shock of defeat led to civil disorder throughout French territory which required the aid of Japanese troops to put down. Any thoughts of pursuing a rapport with Russia were abandoned in favour of bolstering the allies the Empire already had.

My guess is that the Russians came down into the Balkans when most of the French were absent.

Nice update! :)

Interesting - is there going to be a showdown with the Russians before it's all said and done? :D