+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: San Felipe's Colouring Book

San Felipe's Colouring Book

Hi folks! Just thought I'd create my own version of colours for the map of what I think the world should look like during game play. Special thanks also goes to Teckor for providing the inspiration. The colour scheme is based on some colours used by Teckor, except that I've swapped a few of the colours around. For example, I've got rid of the grey colour for Prussia since I think its inappropriate to colour them grey, especially when Germany has not yet formed.

EUROPE

You can see on this map that I've swapped the crimson red with a scarlet pink for the UK and in turn given the crimson to Japan. I've also swapped the Swedish blue from Oman and used it to re-colour Sweden. I've also swapped the Sea Gull Grey of France for the slightly bluish version that Brunei had and in turn given it to Germany. I've also re-coloured Sardinia and swapped Parma's green for the Ottoman's to make them both stand out more. As you can see, I've given the original green from Teckors colouring book to Persia since it better suites them I think.

NORTH and WESTERN AFRICA

I've re-coloured Algeria and Egypt along by adding a new light green to Sokoto.

SOUTH AFRICA

MIDDLE EAST

Re-coloured parts of the Middle East which has improved the overall look.

INDIA

Re-coloured some of the Indian states, giving them slightly brighter colours to make them stand out more against UK's red.

SOUTH EAST ASIA

Re-coloured Luang Prabang since the very light green didn't do it any justice against the Chinese Yellow.

OCEANIA

CHINA & JAPAN

Re-coloured Japan in a crimson red since the previous red kind of looked more orange. China I haven't touched since it goes well with the country's own flag.

NORTH WEST PACIFIC

Russia stands out better in this new lighter but not too dark green.

ALASKA

Same here.

NORTH AMERICA

Kept Teckor's colour for Mexico since its really nice and goes in well with the Mexican flags tri-colour.

CENTRAL AMERICA

Re-coloured USCA in a metallic blue with a silverish tint.

SOUTH AMERICA

Re-coloured Venezuela and Colombia with a wheat yellow & orange yellow. Replaced Brazil's green with that of Chile and replaced Chile's green with a light red.

SOUTHERN most tip of SOUTH AMERICA

Replaced Argentina's darker blue with a more subtle aqua blue.

NOTE!! I've updated this post by including the 2 versions of my mod. V1 includes USA.v1 colour and v2 includes USA.v2 colour. Everything else is basically the same and both files should be compatible with all vic2 copies.

Anyway enjoy your new colours and let me know if you encounter any problems, will try my best to help.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by San_Felipe; 03-09-2010 at 02:26.
    "The Filipino is worth dying for"

Ninoy Aquino.

MDS Modern Day Scenario 2003 - 2050: Acting Manager
    http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/....03-Compatible

San_Felipe colouring mod.
    http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...d.php?t=496514

HoI3 - Modern Warfare for TFH
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/hearts-of-...modern-warfare
    http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...n+day+scenario

HoI3 - Black Ice
    http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...-Black-ICE-TFH

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Majesty 2Semper FiSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of Darkness500k club

Beautiful! And this almost got overlooked completely.
    I like most changes a lot. In fact, USCA's silverish colour is stunning. Didn't know you could get such colours out of the engine.

The blue for Prussia is a big improvement over the somewhat grey/blue IMHO. Sweden and United Kingdom are perfect.

A couple of proposals:
    1. Korea and China barely have a contrast
    2. Same goes for Colombia and Venezuela
    3. Peru and Bolivia are rather ugly
    4. The shade of blue for the USA just looks wrong. It's a blue tone that I can't connect with anything really. The US should have a strong medium or medium-dark blue. But a strong shiny colour for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by seattle View Post
    Beautiful! And this almost got overlooked completely.
    I like most changes a lot. In fact, USCA's silverish colour is stunning. Didn't know you could get such colours out of the engine.

The blue for Prussia is a big improvement over the somewhat grey/blue IMHO. Sweden and United Kingdom are perfect.

A couple of proposals:
    1. Korea and China barely have a contrast
    2. Same goes for Colombia and Venezuela
    3. Peru and Bolivia are rather ugly
    4. The shade of blue for the USA just looks wrong. It's a blue tone that I can't connect with anything really. The US should have a strong medium or medium-dark blue. But a strong shiny colour for sure.
    Hey Seatle, glad you liked most of it.

To answer your questions.

1) I haven't coloured China and Korea, but left them at that colour since I just thought that the colours relate to the flags well. If you have a better colour, then let me know.

2) Same, I did swap the colours for these countries but didn't edit the colour initially. Just thought that a darker yellow for collombia and lighter for Venezuela goes hand in hand with the flags. Would be nice to know your suggestions.

3) Again, I never coloured Bolivia and Peru, just swapped a few colours.

4) Hehehehe if you actually put this colour on a smaller country like Haiti, you'l notice why I chose it.

To be frank on one thing. We all here criticise the colours, but if you look closely at any country, you will see that the shore of the country's main colour is darker than the core of the country. So as you head in from the sea, the colour get lighter and lighter, which for me ruins the contrast. In other words "lighter core darker shores". That's why you should see Seattle what that colour looks like on Haiti, because it is the standard US Navy Blue.

Now if you are not satisfied with my reply and wish to help improve it, then let me know of any suggestions you may have Seattle. I will fix the colours for the above countries you've mentioned, especially the US. When you say shiny colour, what kind of shiny colour?

Cya later!
    Last edited by San_Felipe; 03-09-2010 at 02:27.

Ninoy Aquino.

HoI3 - Black Ice

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour

It's difficult for me to propose changes since I use my favourite colours in my mod obviously. So if you ask me for a certain shade of blue for the US, I will probably favour my own pick. Why else would I have chosen it?

@Korea
    I always loved the combination yellow and brown (both pastell). Hence I use a strong yellow for China and brown for Korea. With the Vicky-engine light and pastell colours look awful, so I had to go dark brown for Korea.

Any contrastful colour will do for Korea. Blue, green, brown, purple...

@Colombia and Venezuela
    I would only change Venezuela. Simply make it lighter. IIRC I took Austria's white for Colombia and added a stint of yellow, so it will have this vanilla-touch (vanilla as in the colour, not the game). I would pick that colour for your Venezuela. It doesn't change the overall colour scheme, but only enhances the contrast.
    You can simply download my mod and take the RGB code of Colombia if you like my idea.

@USA and shoreline
    Yepp, a closer look at your US-shore and I know what you mean. And trust me, I know how much different the colours look in-game than the actual RGB code is supposed to look like.
    This also makes RGB-proposals difficult as I don't know how the colour will actually look in-game.

This blue ( 0 61 245 ) looks decent for the US (at least in theory).

It's difficult for me to propose changes since I use my favourite colours in my mod obviously. So if you ask me for a certain shade of blue for the US, I will probably favour my own pick. Why else would I have chosen it?

@Korea
    I always loved the combination yellow and brown (both pastell). Hence I use a strong yellow for China and brown for Korea. With the Vicky-engine light and pastell colours look awful, so I had to go dark brown for Korea.

Any contrastful colour will do for Korea. Blue, green, brown, purple...

@Colombia and Venezuela
    I would only change Venezuela. Simply make it lighter. IIRC I took Austria's white for Colombia and added a stint of yellow, so it will have this vanilla-touch (vanilla as in the colour, not the game). I would pick that colour for your Venezuela. It doesn't change the overall colour scheme, but only enhances the contrast.
    You can simply download my mod and take the RGB code of Colombia if you like my idea.

@USA and shoreline
    Yepp, a closer look at your US-shore and I know what you mean. And trust me, I know how much different the colours look in-game than the actual RGB code is supposed to look like.
    This also makes RGB-proposals difficult as I don't know how the colour will actually look in-game.

This blue ( 0 61 245 ) looks decent for the US (at least in theory).
    Thanks for the sound advice. I too agree that China and Korea need to be re-done, same with Venezuela, Colombia is OK I think. As for the USA, you first said to me that you can't relate to the colour of the US, so why keep it blue? Personally, I think the USA, should be an Oliva Drab of green. Now I know what you are going to say, but for me it makes perfect sense because US uniforms and standard equipment have mostly bee associated with Green. Look at todays US equipment, tanks, standard field green etc.

This is why I'm going to change it, be right back.

OK I've thought about it and after many variations, I think I've found the colour which the US can directly relate to since most of its vehicles, uniforms, and equipment are coloured in this variant of what I'd like to call, Army Green.

Now I know its green, but just take a look at it and think for a minute.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIVictoria 2
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Really beautiful! Hats off to you.

Yours,
    AdL

Edit: I second the following post though.
    Last edited by Alan deLane; 02-09-2010 at 21:10.
    "Don't bother me with technicalities." - Ulm // "Good god! What have we done?!" - H.J.W., M.Eng.

"... and maybe the horse will learn to sing."

... wanna see MEIOU in action? Take a look at this.

... plays now M&T.

... recommends reading this.

Quote Originally Posted by San_Felipe View Post
    OK I've thought about it and after many variations, I think I've found the colour which the US can directly relate to since most of its vehicles, uniforms, and equipment are coloured in this variant of what I'd like to call, Army Green.

Now I know its green, but just take a look at it and think for a minute.
    I'm so glad you asked us to think for a minute. My initial reaction was: horsesh*t. The explanation with the uniforms and stuff is simply awful. You don't seriously believe that anyone thinks the US-uniforms in the 19th century were green, do you?
    Yankee uniforms are blue (except for the sharpshooters which were green). A subtitle for the Civil War was not "The Green and The Grey".

Then when I had just passed the one minute mark, I started to like that colour. And you know what, every mod has a blue US (some have it purple, but that's just messed up). Why not an olive green US? Like the dollar.

I would however implement a nice blue tone in the country file and emphasize that the user can pick either. Otherwise you'll get this thread clogged up by verbal poop about that green goblin next to Mexico.

Which brings up my final point: Mexico needs to change, mate! I'd propose a light green or maybe red (as long as you keep Texas grey - for whatever reason that is). Currently North America looks cold, dirty, unpleasant, pitiful and plain boring. Put some life in there with powerful, warm colours for at least the other nations.

I'm so glad you asked us to think for a minute. My initial reaction was: horsesh*t. The explanation with the uniforms and stuff is simply awful. You don't seriously believe that anyone thinks the US-uniforms in the 19th century were green, do you?
    Yankee uniforms are blue (except for the sharpshooters which were green). A subtitle for the Civil War was not "The Green and The Grey".

Then when I had just passed the one minute mark, I started to like that colour. And you know what, every mod has a blue US (some have it purple, but that's just messed up). Why not an olive green US? Like the dollar.

I would however implement a nice blue tone in the country file and emphasize that the user can pick either. Otherwise you'll get this thread clogged up by verbal poop about that green goblin next to Mexico.

Which brings up my final point: Mexico needs to change, mate! I'd propose a light green or maybe red (as long as you keep Texas grey - for whatever reason that is). Currently North America looks cold, dirty, unpleasant, pitiful and plain boring. Put some life in there with powerful, warm colours for at least the other nations.
    @Seattle: Thanks man glad you liked it. What I meant by the US uniforms is after the civil war when the US started to expand beyond the Pacific, Hawaii, Philippines, Wake, Midway and Solomon's. From 1903 onwards they were already wearing Khaki and Olive Drab uniforms. they wore green and during the term of President Theodore Roosevelt they were already wearing Field Army Green or simply Army green and Olive Drab uniforms. Check it out.

http://www.history.army.mil/html/art...msoldier2.html

As for Mexico, will try my best to do that. Texas was a last minute thing hehehe. I just ran out of colours at the time to use, but thanks to you, I think you will find North America to be pretty different now.

OK here is the update folks. As you will see, the world is a much different place now, with more colour, and contrast.

I give to you.... San Felipe's Hi Def World of 1836.

EUROPE

As you can see, I have kept some of the original colours, but have modified and created entirely new colours that have been added. Take a look at Germany and Italy, I have re-coloured most of the provinces.

NORTH AFRICA & THE LEVANT

I have changed colours for Morocco, Tunis, Egypt and parts of the Levant. I quite like Egypt in this colour, in fact you will notice that a lot of the new colours have been inspired by the country's flag, uniform and cultural history to give better in game immersion.

SOUTH AFRICA

As you can see, I have re-coloured Orange, Transvaal, Zulu and Madagascar. I think using these colours have in a way brought back life to this neglected part of the world map.

MIDDLE EAST

Here is my new look for the Middle East. I think it looks so much better now that there's more colour.

RUSSIA

Here's a new picture of Russia or as I call it, big bear country.

INDIA

Here's a new picture of the Indian Sub-Continent. this is by far one of my favourite pictures since the contrast I think has greatly improved and it looks more Indiany since there are more vibrant colours.

SOUTH EAST ASIA

Here is a picture of South East Asia, as you can see I've re-coloured most of it. What do you think about Brunei? I know what is going in your mind right now, so please let me know after.

OCEANA

Just thought I'd add this. No changes can be seen since what is there to change here lol. :P

CHINA & JAPAN

Ah the Middle Kingdom. Now I know what you might be thinking, "has China changed?" YES it has hahaha although it is hard for all of us to notice it since it has always been Yellow. However, overall I think it stands out better now since its a new shade of colour and also, I've re-coloured Korea to a Mahogany, so it has helped to improve the contrast.

NORTH AMERICA

Version 1

Version 2
    Ah the New World. Now before you say something about Mexico, please consider the fact that I have yet to find the right colour for this since personally, I love the green that Mexico is in. I have however lightened the US to give it as Seattle said, more life hahaha. Apart from that, there's nothing much I could really do to it, unless that is you would prefer to have it back to blue. Personally, I can see the colours so contrast for me isn't a problem and what's more, I like the green colour idea for the USA.
    As for Texas, well I have added a nice red to it so as to give the continent a more homey feeling.

Note! There are two versions of the USA, so if you liked the first one, then let me know.

CENTRAL & SOUTH AMERICA

The coup de grass this is by far my favourite continent because this was before my most hated since it was just plain boring. Now it looks like there's a party every day. Really think its improved a lot, but that's for all of you to decide.

REST OF SOUTH AMERICA

Anyway I hope you liked my new mod. The pictures aren't great I know, but try it and see it in game play. You might have second thoughts after. As for any suggestions, I'm very tired, I want to sleep, but my ears are always open to any suggestions or advice you may have on improving this mod.

P.S. I have included in this post the two dl v1 & v2. Both are exactly the same, except on v1 you get the first US colour scheme and vice versa. Feel free to dl it any time and to install this, simply dl your version of choice, open and stick it into the commons folder. Make sure to back up your own countries folder first. As for compatibility, should work on all vic copies.

Thank you very much everyone and enjoy!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by San_Felipe; 03-09-2010 at 02:34.

Ninoy Aquino.

HoI3 - Black Ice

The first one is the best color mod so far! I'd just want compatility with VRRP.

Quote Originally Posted by Searry View Post
    The first one is the best color mod so far! I'd just want compatility with VRRP.
    @Searry: If you mean the US v1, then just dl it from the first post. Both versions have been included now so you should be fine and as for compatibility issue, this mod is compatible with all vic2 copies and mods so you shouldn't have any problems there either.

Let me know if you have more questions.
    Last edited by San_Felipe; 03-09-2010 at 02:29.

Ninoy Aquino.

HoI3 - Black Ice

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k club

I do think that Sardinia-Piedmont and Prussia have colours that are too similar
    This great evil. Where does it come from? How'd it steal into the world? What seed, what root did it grow from? Who's doin' this? Who's killin' us? Robbing us of life and light. Mockin' us with the sight of what we might've known. Does our ruin benefit the earth? Does it help the grass to grow, the sun to shine? Is this darkness in you, too? Have you passed through this night?

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneSemper FiVictoria 2Mount & Blade: Warband

Very nice! Well done.
    Recipient of the 6th ever Irish Shamrock Cookie and a birthday cookie! Thank you King_Richard_XI!

Sir dinofs of Gowin-Fártherr, Duke of Insanity, Lord of Tomfoolery, Spirit of Change, Upsetter of the Status Quo, Reverser of Historical Trends, Defeater of Ming, and All-Around Meddler.

Fan of the week, 1-08-2010!
    WRITAAR OF THE WEEK 23-05-2010!

San Felipe, your version of South America is without the shadow of a doubt the best of any mod!

North America has improved (well, because of Texas to be honest). It still has this monsoon-period look to it. I've lived in China for many years and your North America reminds me of the rain period. It still looks muddy and dirty.

Looking at a map, don't you automatically ask yourself, where would I wanna live (based on the graphics that is)? I see South America and it's stunning. Makes me wanna play any nation down there, so I know I'll have pleasant colours the whole time. North America doesn't look inviting to be honest. I can't imagine staring at that puddle of mud for tens of hours. Then again, maybe it's just me. Mexico looks plastic and the US-green IMHO only works if Mexico gets a completely different colour (I'd try white, or red if Texas is white). That way you'd end up with a nice combination of green-red-white. Mexicans would love that

PS: Did you try to switch Mexico and USCA? The silverish tone might work well.

San Felipe, your version of South America is without the shadow of a doubt the best of any mod!

North America has improved (well, because of Texas to be honest). It still has this monsoon-period look to it. I've lived in China for many years and your North America reminds me of the rain period. It still looks muddy and dirty.

Looking at a map, don't you automatically ask yourself, where would I wanna live (based on the graphics that is)? I see South America and it's stunning. Makes me wanna play any nation down there, so I know I'll have pleasant colours the whole time. North America doesn't look inviting to be honest. I can't imagine staring at that puddle of mud for tens of hours. Then again, maybe it's just me. Mexico looks plastic and the US-green IMHO only works if Mexico gets a completely different colour (I'd try white, or red if Texas is white). That way you'd end up with a nice combination of green-red-white. Mexicans would love that

PS: Did you try to switch Mexico and USCA? The silverish tone might work well.
    @Seattle: OK I've re-coloured Mexico and USCA including Ecuador. I kind of like this new colour now, looks really nice.

Here is the new picture of Mexico, USCA & rest of Northern South America. Let me know what you all think.

Ninoy Aquino.

HoI3 - Black Ice

Quote Originally Posted by San_Felipe View Post
    Here is the new picture of Mexico, USCA & rest of Northern South America. Let me know what you all think.
    The pic would be a lot more helpful had you included North America. To see if white for Mexico works, we gotta see the bordering colonies. Judging from the screenie, I can barely tell a difference.

The pic would be a lot more helpful had you included North America. To see if white for Mexico works, we gotta see the bordering colonies. Judging from the screenie, I can barely tell a difference.
    UPDATE!!

OK here is my latest update on Mexico.

I would have preferred a white silverish Mexico but the uncolonised regions are white, would like to change them to a dulish grey colour so that the other colours stand out more. So what do you think?
    Last edited by San_Felipe; 03-09-2010 at 19:49.

Ninoy Aquino.

HoI3 - Black Ice

200k clubCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor the Motherland
    GettysburgHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuSword of the Stars
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventWarlock 2: The Exiled

Looks good, I really like your colouring book.
    "So let me get this straight, you want to fly on a magic carpet to see the king of the potato people and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast