• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Does anyone have any idea about what military musics are royalty free and can be used commercially without any fear of breaking copyrights?
That would greatly help me as I failed to get an answer to that so far. :)

Royalty free stuff, even if you can find some, can be used and published under specified terms of usage, but may not sale or distributed to a 3rd party without a permission of the creator.

The creator retains all copyrights and publishing rights. That means for a commercial use you always need to get his permission, and such a permission is obviously not cheap. Do not hope it will be free.

Royalty "free" things remain actually free only as long as you use them for non-commercial purposes. But once you have started to sell them, it is not free any more.

Same rule applies to any other created content - paintings, photographs, and so on.

The only way you can secure yourself from very likely legal prosecutions if you hire a professional artist and a professional musician to do that kind of work for you.

Does anyone have any idea about what military musics are royalty free and can be used commercially without any fear of breaking copyrights?
That would greatly help me as I failed to get an answer to that so far. :)

By the way, if the creator of copyrighted stuff is already dead, it doesn't mean nobody has the copyright any more. His closest relatives inherit that copyright. Which lasts for 70 years after the day the creator dies.

Thank you for your answers.
Now how about a website like http://www.musopen.com/ for instance?
It allows you to download free public domain musics. Does that imply that they can be used in commercial products?

For more informations, the website states :

Musopen is an online music library of copyright free (public domain) music. We want to give the world access to music without the legal hassles so common today. There is a great deal of music that has expired copyrights, but almost no recordings of this music is in the public domain. We aim to record or obtain recordings that have no copyrights so that our visitors may listen, re-use, or in any way enjoy music. Put simply, our mission is to set music free.

Nothing is really free in this world.

Before you start picking up music and pictures on the internet, keep in mind that an unauthorized reproduction and distribution of copyrighted material, according to the international and national laws, may result in severe financial penalties, sometimes up to €250 000.

Much cheaper to hire professionals to make the stuff you need rather than to pay huge fines.

music that has expired copyrights

This means you can freely use this in a commercial product without restrictions

Those lazy bums who offer you music with "expired copyrights", are they going to pay your fines when it turns out that those copyrights have not actually expired ? It's not that easy to keep track of that. I bet they themselves never know for sure if those copyrights have really expired by now or not.

But Fernando Torres is the one who's going to pay the fines.

Lol. That will sound ridiculous in the court. You may think whatever you want about copyrights. But your judges won't care about your allegations about the law. They only care what the law says, your own interpretations will not count. :rofl:

Do you know anything about german law?

Few weeks ago, a company which produced fridges got fined 10k € because a customer complained the fridge didn´t include all the extras which were promised...

Laugh about this... ;)

By the way, if the creator of copyrighted stuff is already dead, it doesn't mean nobody has the copyright any more. His closest relatives inherit that copyright. Which lasts for 70 years after the day the creator dies.

This is correct, sir.

It's comfortable to presume that the music can be free for commercial use. Dream on.

I wish I could see you when you get sued.

Why do you think all serious developers of computer games spend lots of money on musicians and artists ? They could have saved that money by simply downloading that "free" stuff.

But they still prefer to pay money for making music and artworks. Why ? Because this is the only way to be 100 % sure that you are not breaking somebody's copyright or some other associated rights.

Those fellas who collected hundreds, maybe thousands, pieces of music, how can they be absolutely sure that all that music is copyright free ? There is no way to find out if it's really free or not.

Why do you think all serious developers of computer games spend lots of money on musicians and artists ? They could have saved that money by simply downloading that "free" stuff.

Because they have the money and Project Blitzkrieg does not

But they still prefer to pay money for making music and artworks. Why ? Because this is the only way to be 100 % sure that you are not breaking somebody's copyright or some other associated rights.

Sure, it´s the quick and dirty way for those who can afford that money

Those fellas who collected hundreds, maybe thousands, pieces of music, how can they be absolutely sure that all that music is copyright free ? There is no way to find out if it's really free or not.

They will be held responsible if it´s not true, not the ones who downloaded the music and used in in commercial products...

lil Bill said:
It's comfortable to presume that the music can be free for commercial use. Dream on.

I wish I could see you when you get sued.

Go away little troll

That's true, in addition to that: If there is no creator (no PERSON, just a organisation like a radio station or such things) the copyright lastes 70 years after the day it has been recorded.

So the most music from the late 30s is still under copyright.

But there is a way: Most of the famous marches are from the late 19th century.
So, find a man with a synthesizer an give them a sheet of music.

I knowed someone at the the dmp board, but he had left a long time ago.
(he was a guy from Uk. a professonal musician, don't remeber his name.... )

maybe you can find help here:

german gamedev board
or here

THE gamedev board - international

i can ask around if you want(need) my help.