• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ooops

You were posting the results of your war against the Union and the UK declaring war on you, so scratch my set of suggestions... :rolleyes:

hi aquinothomas, thanks for the input, looks like you posted while I was posting the update.....

if there's any possibility to do so, try to get a military alliance with Great Britain before you take any action west of the Rockies

It appears that Great Powers can't ally, at least it always says "impossible" when I tried to do it with the UK :(

pump money into the CSA, since you have it, become their ally, and build up your forces west of Oklahoma
did all of this except for pumping in money - good idea though, i frankly just forgot that option!

when the situation presents itself, support the CSA militarily, and box in the Union forces, but don't annihilate them
Why not? I did wind up annilhating them - why was that a mistake?

broker a deal with the UK to divide up the American west with the goal to eventually make it culturally Mexican. That will make it harder for England to try to back stab you

too late, they did immediately :(

If you get that far, maybe Spanish will be the lingua franca of the modern world instead of English.

ojala que sea! (may it be so!)

I think the UK will crush you; though it's hard to say. I've found the AI is terrible at doing invasions across the ocean.

Why not? I did wind up annilhating them - why was that a mistake?

Not a mistake per se. My thought was that the Union would be a buffer against either the UK or the CSA becoming too powerful on the NA continent. If you did the dirty work for the CSA, and then they become powerful, you've basically got an alternate USA to contend with when the dust settles. If they're both relatively weak, and neither has hegemony, then they would be easier to overcome later on.

You've got bigger problems to worry about now that the UK has declared war on Mexico. If you can improve relations with that behemoth, you might be able to scavange territory from either the Union or CSA until neither one is a threat.

I'm eager to see what happens now!

I think the reason you got dowed by UK is you got to high infamy score.
The free state cb did not cost you, but when you added 3 new states at a price of 10 pr state, it added 30 infamy. This is 5 over the 25 threshold wich gives other GP's a containment cb on you.

Having a border with UK at that point did not help :)

Good Luck !

As said, the infamy from your war goals must have brought the UK down on you. In My Mexico game I instead went for the release of New England. Took some land and factories from the US at minimal cost to me.

And just like you, the CSA walked out with a white peace when they could have gotten away with a couple of states.

I think the reason you got dowed by UK is you got to high infamy score.
The free state cb did not cost you, but when you added 3 new states at a price of 10 pr state, it added 30 infamy. This is 5 over the 25 threshold wich gives other GP's a containment cb on you.

Having a border with UK at that point did not help :)

Good Luck !

D'oh! Now you see why I titled this a "NOOB" learning AAR :)
Now I see that I made 3 signficant mistakes:
  1. I thought that "gain state" GB was "gain stateS" (plural).
  2. I confused colony with state (in my defense, it's nonsensical to consider "Idaho" a state and "Oregon" and "Minnesota" provinces).
  3. I didn't realize that each additional colony/state would cause me more infamy when I added it as a goal.

So, I guess it served me right :(

As said, the infamy from your war goals must have brought the UK down on you. In My Mexico game I instead went for the release of New England. Took some land and factories from the US at minimal cost to me.

And just like you, the CSA walked out with a white peace when they could have gotten away with a couple of states.

I thought of taking New England, but figured I wouldn't be able to hold on to it. Probably should have, though :(

And is there a way to see what your infamy is? In EU3 it was right there on the main screen, here I can't find it anywhere....

And is there a way to find out which countries you have a CB on, or that have a CB on you? This was a page in the ledger in EU3, here I don't see it anywhere.

Thanks for the input - I played through the first year of the war with the UK, will post an update when I get the time.

To find your infamy; go to the diplomacy screen. Make sure you are tabbed to 'show wars'. It will show a countries infamy there. Select various countries and it will tell you their infamy.

I thought of taking New England, but figured I wouldn't be able to hold on to it. Probably should have, though :(

I think gosam means force the US to releaee New England as a separate country. A balkanised North America is in your interest.

I think gosam means force the US to releaee New England as a separate country. A balkanised North America is in your interest.

Oh Prawnish one - but if my only CB was to "gain state", wouldn't "release country" not count as 'justified'?

I am with ya 100% on the advantages of Balkanisation, I thought splitting the US in two was a good start :)

Chapter 5: War against the UK, and some belated learnings...

Chapter 5: War against the UK, and some belated learnings...

OK, so it's late 1851, and it's just me and my trusty ally the USCA against the UK. Gulp. Let's look at the map, shall we?

War against the UK, round 1: 1852
In the South, things are great, at least at the start - the USCA and I have the UK far outnumbered, and I order an immediate advance into Belize.

In the North, UK soldiers start streaming westward (I can see them walking near the US border), and then swinging south to attack me in the Pacific Northwest. My troops are scattered all over the western half of the US, so I frantically try to pull them together in northern Utah before it's too late.

The picture below shows the situation by december 1851

There are 4 UK stacks, totaling 73K, while my 60K guys slowly stream in. Sadly, it doesn't seem like there's winter weather here, like in EU3, otherwise an army in the Rockies in mid-winter would be withering away quite rapidly! As it is, I'm hoping that attrition will still be my biggest friend.

In February 1852, I get good news - things are going swimmingly in the South, as Belize falls. Go go USCA! The UK has a total blockade on me, which, in another departure from EU3, seems to not hurt my economy a whit - it just ups their warscore.

In April 1852, the UK makes a significant mis-step (as I had just made a similar mis-step against the US, I don't gloat too much :)) - it over-splits its forces. There are roughly 100K of them and roughly 100K of me, but instead of trying to duke it out monster stack to monster stack, perhaps for reasons of attrition, it splits up into about 5 20K stacks. Holy Lee-before-Antietam, Batman! I ain't no McLellan, and I immediately seize the opportunity, with the AI never really reacting - from April through December 1852 my monster stack methodically fights battle after battle against much smaller UK contingents in Oregon and Idaho. A sign of just how lucky I am here is that even with though I am usually outnumbering the UK 5 or 10 to 1, I usually lose slightly more troops than they do - they also have an outstanding leader (+2 attack and +2 defense, if I recall).

I get another bonus in December 1852:

I get muzzle-loaded rifles - that should help!

War against the UK, round 2: 1853

By the start of 1853, things are going great in the North - I have almost totally wiped out the UK army, have conquered Washington state, and am starting to move into Canada. I order roughly 1/3 of my army to start moving south, as I worry that eventually the UK will amphibious-invade me near the capitol.

In the south, I get a nasty jolt right at the start of the year- the USCA white-peaces out. Hard to blame them, scrolling down there I see lots of rebellions, and a large redcoat contingent, 45K to my 21K:

My bad, I had totally focused my attention up north, they must have amphibiously-invaded down there, I stopped paying attention after Belize fell. Ay caramba!

In April 1853, I get two pieces of bad news

First, that I'm due to stop being a Great Power! Waaah! But I wanna!

Second, the UK thrashes me in southern mexico

The way to Mexico City is open! The troops I started moving down in January are still a long way away, too - uh oh!

I count myself very lucky in July 1853 when, for some reason

the UK offers me a white peace, which I jump all over. Yay!

Just one week later

the UK DOWs somebody else! It's a busy life being the world's bully, ain't it!

However, the bad news doesn't stop, as by September 1853 I do indeed lose Great Power status (to pathetic Spain no less!)

and by January 1854 am all the way down to 13th place.

Booo!

And by the way

What good is it having a liberal party in power if you don't do anything? Though I can't pass any social reforms, I can have my pick of political reforms. The only one with a non-microscopic approval rating with the public, however (at 10%), is widening the franchise:

I do it, and don't really notice any effect ... at least, yet.

The situation, and some learnings

How is it that, as Mexico, I could keep all my starting territories, gain Colorado, Idaho, and Oregon, win a war against the US, see the US split in two, fight the UK off, and fall from 9th place to 13th as a result? Let's take a little look.....

First, a little stroll around the state of the country:

The economy is in very good shape, mainly due to lots of gold:

Politically, check out the crazy fragmentation in the issues, and the number of political parties:

It's on the diplomatic tab that my imbecility becomes apparent:

My prestige is a lowly 11, 46th in the world, and my infamy is 49, nearly twice the bad-boy limit! I am going to be Senor Unpopular for a long, long time. I honestly don't know how I bolloxed things up this badly, but I have a guess.....

Lesson: don't DOW Hawaii

One thing I hadn't even bothered to mention in this AAR, which I now think was a major failing, was my actions with Hawaii. As part of my "if the USA wants it, I should have it" diplomacy, I had been raising my influence with Hawaii. This had worked so well that they entered my SOI twice. What's so bad about this? What's so bad about this is that each time, after a few months, there was a diplomatic incident where they burned my ambassador, or spit on him, or called him bad names, or something, and my choices were to either (a) lose prestige (I think not!), or (b) DOW (yes indeed!). As my navy and theirs are both nearly non-existent, it never really meant anything, and after a while either they would offer white-peace, or I would, shrug. No harm, no foul, I figured. However, it may be that my DOWs were considered 'unjustified' DOWs, which would rack me up a goodly amount of my infamy, and I guess it could be that my white peaces might have lost me prestige (because I never humiliated Hawaii like a good imperialist, or something?). I won far more battles than I lost against UK and US, I don't think that's been an issue....

My current theory is that it was this Hawaii blundering, combined with my poor choice of wargoals against the US, that's responsible for my poor scores. Other pointers as to my poor play are welcome :)

So for now I'm frankly in a bit of a bind. I certainly can't DOW anybody, not with this infamy score - I'll be lucky just to be ignored. OTOH, sitting quietly for the next 50 years isn't an attractive option, either. If only this was EU3 and I could donate to the Pope or something :). It's probably inevitable that the US will attack me in a few years, beating them (assuming I even can) seems my only real avenue at this point. Any other suggestions?

Last edited:
Well you lost GP status because you didn't achieve all the wargoals you set against the USA, hence losing much needed prestige.
Those 50bb will be a pain in the ass, you'll probably have to fight GB every 5 years like it happened to my russia when I didn't know where to check the BB limit.

Great AAR though, I'll def follow.

Keep fighting!

At least you are learning and an experienced EU3 player really should know a little bit about BB management ;)

Taunting the US into a war sounds like a good option, and if you achieve a dominant peace, won't that gain you prestige? Maybe you can insult the US ambassador. ;)

Cultural research also seems to be a good way to go as far as building up prestige but you would need to invest a lot of research to get that to pay off.

Is there a way to actively lower infamy?

A bit of industrialization wouldn't hurt. Many of the discoveries can gain you prestige.

There's two cents from the complete neophyte corner.

let my pain be your gain

I dug through some old save files, yes indeed I royally screwed myself by not paying enough attention to wargoals and DOWs. Let's all see just how badly I screwed things up - hope somebody can learn from this :). I dug through some old save files, watch my errors unfold:

• Jan 1851 - Prestige 62, Infamy 0. At war with the US. So far, so good, no mistakes yet!
  • May 1851 - Prestige 63, Infamy 37.86. At war with the US, UK, and Hawaii. Whoopsie daisy! Here is my first (very large) screw-up. The war with the US had been going so well that I nonchalantly added 3 more war goals - acquiring Oregon, Wyoming, and Montana. In EU3, this is typical behavior, just askin' for a few more warscore winnings. In Victoria 2, this is a horrible mistake - I acquire 10 infamy for each province requested. The icing on the cake is that I think that when I accepted the event that put me at war with Hawaii, which gives me the "Cut down to size" war goal, I got another 10 infamy. From 0 to 40 in nothin' flat!
  • Oct 1851 - Prestige 48, Infamy 37.70. At war with the UK. Between May and October I take Oregon and Idaho from the US, and white peace with Hawaii. So why does my prestige plummet 15 points? Because in each case I didn't meet my war goals. My guess is I probably lost 30 prestige here (-10 each for Wyoming, Montana, and cutting hawaii down to size), and recouped 17 because of military victories.
  • Jan 1852 - Prestige 49, Infamy 37.60. At war with the UK. No news is good news :)
  • Oct 1852 - Prestige 60, Infamy 37.27. At war with the UK. Prestige climbing as I win battles against the UK.
  • Jan 1853 - Prestige 61, Infamy 37.20. At war with the UK. No news.
  • July 1853 - Prestige 23, Infamy 50.10. At war with the UK, Hawaii. Ouch, that smarted! Once again my infamy climbs way up for getting in war with Hawaii. I'm not too sure why my prestige plummets so enormously here - I lost the battle of bacalar for 3 of the 38 loss, otherwise it's a mystery. When my buddy the USCA white-peaced out, could that have somehow caused me to lose massive prestige? This one is still a head-scratcher to me.
  • Jan 1854 - Prestige 11, Infamy 49. At peace. The disaster is complete, as I lost prestige for not cutting Hawaii down to size and accepting a white peace.

Ouch, that is a painful lesson learned - kids, Vic2 is not EU3! Be very very careful about DOWs and about war goals.

Keep fighting!

At least you are learning and an experienced EU3 player really should know a little bit about BB management ;)

i abase myself before thee, o prawnish one :). My mistake was equating EU3 BB management with Vic2 BB management :(.

Awesome AAR! It's nice to see an AAR where someone is learning and not afraid to make and admit mistakes. Keep it up!

Thanks! If making mistakes makes this AAR awesome, then I think we're in for lots more awesomeness ahead! :)

Industrialise! I know you said you wouldn't, but what other choice do you have?

sad but true. At least I think I will have to stop scorning it and reluctantly accept it.

Taunting the US into a war sounds like a good option, and if you achieve a dominant peace, won't that gain you prestige? Maybe you can insult the US ambassador. ;)

Cultural research also seems to be a good way to go as far as building up prestige but you would need to invest a lot of research to get that to pay off.

Is there a way to actively lower infamy?

A bit of industrialization wouldn't hurt. Many of the discoveries can gain you prestige.

There's two cents from the complete neophyte corner.

re taunting - I think that with my infamy the way it is, and the US having cores on a zillion of my territories, no taunting will be necessary :)

re cultural research - i have been pondering that also, the problem is that my research faucet drips so little water that i think i need every drop for industry and the military.

re way to actively lower infamy - i wish :(.

It's good to see somebody learning the ropes and actually admitting mistakes. I think it gives the AAR more realism.

Good work so far, keep it up.

Good explanation of what happened and why. As you say it's a learning experience.