• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The reign of Daulat Khan I (882- 894 AH) (1478-1489 in the Christian calendar) (A/D/M 5/5/8)

If there’s something Daulat Khan I could be called was stubborn. He always refused or went against the advice of his councilors and always had to have the final word on the matter of discussion.

Daulat Khan waged three wars with the Tibetan Noble Republic, for example, just so that Bhutan would remain independent. Many of his councilors advised him to let Bhutan be annexed, so that a powerful Tibetan state could be used as a buffer against the powerful Ming, but he’d have none of it.

“They’re our allies. They called for help. We must answer. Aren’t we not the most just state in the world?” he’d say.

Daulat Khan was more adamant on the independence of Bhutan than even than even the king of Bhutan himself. In the first Tibetan war of reconquest, the Tibetans had stormed all the castles in Ur Tsang in just 4 months and Ngawang, king of the Bhutanese, had sworn fealty to the Noble Council in Lhasa to save his and his people’s lives. But just when Ngawang was arriving in Potala, the residence of the chief noble, he received the news that the Delhi armies had won the war and Ngawang was to be crowned again king of the Bhutanese. Not necessary to say, Ngawang was forever grateful to Daulat Khan.

In the last 100 years many changes had occurred in the Delhi sultanate. It had more than tripled in size, with many subjects of the most diverse ethnicities and languages. Also, the power of the hereditary noble chiefs and ulemas (religious leaders) had been curtailed in the last sultan’s reigns, with the sultan appointing most sarkar (province) governors and having the final say in each matter of law or religion.

All matters had to be solved by the sultan, which meant that people would have to wait for months for a trade dispute to be solved. It’s not necessary to say that many were not satisfied with that.

fig1.jpg

fig3-1.jpg

Ruling more than 2 million people was too much burden to put on the shoulders of a single man but Daulat Khan thought otherwise. Against the will of his advisors, to stop the sultanate’s expansion and consolidate his rule, he continued to wage Jihad after Jihad, acquiring the sarkars of Ahmadnagar, Maharastra and Khandesh.

The first years of Daulat Khan’s reign saw the formation of the Delhi navy. Wanting to attack the island nation of Ceylon, which had come to Orissa’s defense, Daulat Kahn commissioned several transport ships and two heavy carracks, with 10,000 sailors manning his ships. The hereditary nobility of Delhi had no knowledge of how to conduct battle at the seas, so Daulat Khan raised merchants and commoners to the ranks of officers in his navy. With the success of the first Orissan Jihad (and always afraid of a noble or religious revolt), he’d do the same with the army.

fig4-1.jpg

One good thing that came from Daulat Khan’s stubbornness was the fact that he double checked every paper his tax collectors gave him, catching many times cases of provincial governors trying to escape with a little bit of tax on the side. He wasn’t in any way lenient, which caused some dissatisfaction against the nobles his father had appointed.

fig2-1.jpg

Daulat Khan's obsession with managing the whole sultanate by himself eventually was his doom, as he died from a heart attack at the age of 26. His son, Sher Shah, was too young to rule, so the sultanate would be ruled yet again by a regency council for the next years.

4th Regency Council (894-899 AH) (1489-1494 in the Christian calendar) (A/D/M 3/5/6)

The Tedious Council

The period under the rule of the 4th Regency Council was one of the most uneventful of the Delhi sultanate’s history. Delhi participated in another war defending Bhutan against Tibet’s aggression in 1491, which ended in a victory in November 1492, as not only the Tibetans didn’t annex Bhutan, but they also were forced to release Assam from their grip.

fig6-1.jpg

The other years were affected only by some complaints coming from the ulemas (holy men) with how much power they had lost in the last half century, as sultans favored the merchant class instead of them. Even though it was too late to change anything (the merchants were too powerful, being responsible for the navy and a good part of Delhi’s income), people were dissatisfied, especially among the unlearned lower classes.

fig5-1.jpg

The rest of the years went on in peace, until Sher Shah I came to age in 1494.

The reign of Sher Shah I Thuqluqid (899-916 AH) (1494-1511 in the Christian calendar) (A/D/M 4/4/6)

Also known as Sher Shah I, the lesser.

Part 1

The reign of Sher Shah I saw many of the seeds of change that would take Delhi in the next years planted.

The Middle Kingdom of China, ruled by Ming, saw the ascension of the Joy Dynasty, which unlike its predecessors was interested in expansion. The people of Delhi heard the tale of how the far kingdom of Manchu and Korea had been conquered, but they only understood what the ascension of Ming meant when Tibet was conquered by them

fig3-2.jpg

Sher Shah I, heeding his courtiers, attacked Tibet just as Chinese troops were reaching the Hymalayas. The purpose of that was to liberate Nepal as a vassal, a buffer state so that Delhi wouldn’t border the expansionist Ming empire.

It didn’t work.

The mischievous Ming were more cunning and demanded the exact same thing of Tibet, but now Nepal would be their allies. The Delhi nobles felt more and more fearful of the eastern merciless neighbor and voices were hard claiming for the Delhi army to be bigger than theirs.

More dire news would reach Sher Shah I in 1497. The Jihad against Vijeyanagar and Gujarat had been a success, with the taking of their cities in just 5 days, but all the remaining Hindu kingdoms had been united under a single banner, and this time it seemed their ruler was very capable.

Tirumala I of Madurai (and his general Cimappa) proved to be a tougher nut to crack than Vijeyanagar’s rulers. In the Jihad against Vijeyanagar they intervened and even though they lost the battle of Goa, they were able to not only lift the siege of Raichur Dhoab a few days later (only a token garrison was left there) but also inflicted heavy casualties upon the Delhi army. This they’d do again and again in the next years.

fig5-2.jpg

The addition of Vijeyanagar to the empire again strained the sultanate’s administration, which was too dependent on the attention of the sultan (and Sher Shah I wasn’t as workaholic as his father, preferring to spend his time in the harem).

Good news would only come in 1499, as the court received the visit of Faisal of Fez, a traveler from the North of Africa with many tales from the world. Faisal captivated specially the young heir, Muhammad Shah, with sotires of how the Portugues, fleeing a Castillian invasion, had in their turn conquered almost all of North Africa and relocated their capital there, led by a men known as the Old Man from Restelo:

fig6-3.jpg

Faisal also tried to tell the tale of the forming of the British nation in 1503, but Mohammed didn't care about that. What would the matters of a small island in the northwest matter to India?

fig7-1.jpg

But bad tidings would come again, as the infamous Ming inherited the throne of the Mongol Khanate, again expanding their already incredible empire.

fig4-2.jpg

Sher Shah, angry that he’d been shamed by the Maduraian king, decided to wage a Jihad against Madurai in 1503. To the nobles that worried about Ming first he said:

“I’ll at first unite India. Only a united India will be able to face the onslaught of the Chinese. If we’re divided we’ll have no chance. Unfortunately the Hindu kingdoms to the south don’t see it that way, so I’m forced to make them see”.

The 1st Jihad against Madurai proved to be one of the thoughest in the sultanate’s history. Not only did Delhi armies had to deal with a very sizeable army (22,000 men against 50,000 of Delhi’s, of which 60% could be diverted to the south), but also with the torrid climate of Southern India during the monsoom season. Sher Shah lost as many men to malaria and diarrhea as he did to Tirumala. And Tirumala made sure to give only Pyrrhic victories to Sher Shah I, always blooding Delhi’s armies, making them suffer more casualties than his before he fled, specially at the 3rd battle of Bangalore.

fig8-1.jpg

fig9-1.jpg

fig10-1.jpg

Delhi’s intentions were to acquire the sarkars (provinces) of Raichur Dhoab and Goa, but Sher Shah I had to content himself only with the first in the Jihad of 1503.

In 1506 Delhi’ faithful ally of Bhutan told news of a civil war in Ming. Apparently the Joy dynasty was divided between who’d succeed to the throne. Bhutan declared war on Ming in February and Delhi went along.

Spies carefully placed by Sher Shah I discovered that Wanli I Joy, the emperor who controlled Beijing at the time, had the bulk of his forces (58,000 men) far up north, fighting his cousins’s armies and mongol rebels. His best general, Shen Mingao, was in Southeastern Asia. They were both too far away to interfere, so Sher Shah I tried to siege Ming’s closest provinces.

Too many problems with rebels Ming has.

Unfortunately, since it was the king of Bhutan who started the whole affair, it was he who could decide when to end peace, and he did so in 1507, before Sher Shah was satisfied.

But Delhi’s objectives were attained nevertheless when Sher Shah commissioned his 6th legion, with 10,000 more men. This, along with the continual state of civil war and strife in Ming, made Delhi’s armies bigger than their neighbors, easing the concern of the nobles.

fig12-1.jpg

In December of 1509 Sher Shah I again marched against Madurai, wanting to get Madras, a city that which had a sizeable Muslim minority. The battle at sea was lost completely and the battles at land, even though successes, were still pyrrhic.

One of Delhi’s finest generals, Mohammed Shah Musarif, died while battling Tirumala I in Raichur Dhoab. The day still ended in victory, but again more Delhi men died than Madurai’s.

Other epic clashs in this war were the battle of Bangalore, where Delhi was triunfant even with numerical inferioriry, the battle of Mysore (another pyrrhic vitory) and the battle of madras, which decided the war. In the battle of Madras, 20,000 Delhi men who were besieging the city fought what remained of Madurai’s forces for several days. The battle ended in victory for Delhi, but at a great cost. Sher Shah I was injured while riding the charge and died of an infection one month later. His son was crowned Mohammed Shah IV in Delhi the next week, among great instability and in the middle of a war.

fig14-1.jpg

Kondavidu and Raichur Dhoab would be added to the sultanate during the reign of Sher Shah I.

fig2-2.jpg

This is a picture of the world at 1506, right before the peace with Ming.

Last edited:
it's common thing to see northern Africa yellow , but rare to see it green :D
the yellow lost to the blue , classic

you have a good share of India under control , hmm and there is a huge nation in indochina to rival the ming

The Reign of Sultan Mohammed Shah IV Thuqluqid (916-929 AH) (1511-1523 in the Christian calendar) (A/D/M 6/6/7)

also known as Mohammed Shah, the reformer.

Part I: Sultanate

Mohammed Shah IV was very influenced by the tales of Faisal of Fez, a traveler from North Africa, about the West. He could spend several nights hearing the old man talk about the War of the Two Emperors, that pitted Bohemia (Holy Roman Emperor) against the Byzantine Empire, for example. He also loved the tales the court bards told about the Shahanrishah, the epic of Persia.

It was no wonder then that he married only foreigners. His first wife, Samara of Kokkand, would have much influence about him. She brought new customs from a land much influenced by the reborn kingdom of Persia, a culture much more advanced than the ones seen in India (at least from Mohammed Shah’s point of view).

Mohammed Shah had inherited from his father not only a throne, but also a war. He ended the affairs quickly, as the siege of Madras was over three months after he had been crowned. Peace with Madurai soon followed.
Even though Mohammed Shah IV was an able general on his own, probably one of the best of the world, he preferred not to take the field, unless he’d die like his father, of a minor wound that festered. Instead he relied on his generals.

In 1512 the nobles of Delhi said that the sultan should seize the opportunity to attack Ming as the neighboring empire was still suffering under the civil war. Mohammed Shah IV did so and in 1512 the 1st Jihad against Ming started.

Many Delhi merchants had prospered from the lucrative trade with Ming, establishing themselves at Jiangsu. Ming officials tried to expel them as soon as the war started, but a careful bribe was enough to make them forget. That this thing happened is proof of how much the imperial authority had waned in China, as the Ming couldn’t control their own capital officers. (lost 50 ducats, but totally worth it) .

fig0_a.jpg

Emperor Wanli I Joy of Ming was facing too many troubles and a war with Delhi was too much for him. Without even a skirmish, Delhi negotiators were able to demand the release of Tibet and Qin as sovereign nations, allied with Delhi (78% peace deal with 0% war score) .

figc.jpg

Delhi nobles had a special delight in recreating the Tibet empire, this time as a despotic monarchy and friendly towards them. Any of the old nobles of the noble republic were killed by hanging.

The peace deal with Ming meant that the Chinese empire would be divided. This was a very old stratagem of Delhi, used by Mohammed Shah IV’s ancestors against the Timurids. Ming would no longer matter in the world from now and would threaten Delhi no more.

In October of 1512 travelers from the west told stories about a reunion of Christians in Africa, near Timbuktu. Apparently “bishops” of the “Catholic Church” had enacted something called “Counter-Reformation” there. Mohammed Shah IV didn’t care much about this news, but was curious about the name of the place these “bishops” gathered: Gao.

figa.jpg

In that same month, Mohammed Shah IV started the first of his reforms. He changed the way soldiers in Delhi’s armies were trained, demanding more professionalization and training, depending less on peasant levies (national idea = military drill +1.0 morale)

Delhi enjoyed 3 years of peace after that, but the sultan’s mind didn’t. He was awestruck with his wife and the courtiers that came with her, with the tales she told by his bed and the way she raised the young Mohammed Shah V. In February he finally made his mind and decided to emulate the ways of the Persian culture of the kingdoms of the west. His intellectuals would read the works of Avicenna, Al-Khwarizmi, al-Marwazi, al-Farghani, al-Sufi and so on. The nobles at his court would have to wear the latest Persian fashion and talk in Persian as well. (national decision = modernization – changes tech from Indian (60%) to Islamic (80%) and -5 stability)

The access to these great books would bear fruits very soon, as Khidr Khan Jahan, advisor to Mohammed Shah IV, would write an astronomical book of his own based on the studies of the Persian sages of the past (astronomical book = +2 stability)

fige.jpg

At that same year (1515) Mohammed Shah IV would decide to make a nation-wide census to see the state of his nation. He decided that it’d be done again 85 years after the first one and each 100 years after that, using numerological tables.

STATE OF THE NATION

Delhi’s income is the second highest, losing only to Portugal even at -2 stability.

figb.jpg

The number of provinces as well is the highest in the world now that Ming has weakened.

figf.jpg

The army is the 6th largest. It’s composed of 6 10,000 batallions, each one composed of 4,000 Indian infantry (offensive-defensive F/S/M 0-0/1-0/1-1 movement 1) and 6,000 Indian cavalry archers (offensive-defensive F/S/M 0-0/1-0/2-1 movement 2).

figh.jpg

In other aspects, though, Delhi is much behind other nations.

The navy is # 22, with only 13 ships (3 carracks and 10 cogs).

The technology is very much below Latin Europeans, with the best ones of them having 16-18. Delhi has:

figi.jpg

(this picture is actually from 1522. Forgot to take the screen shot before)

Finally, on the ledger, Delhi is very centralized (-3) and innovative (-5). The last few movements have been toward plutocratic, since free subjects would make a cost in stabilization, which is already high.

figg.jpg

Advisors are good (4* at least), as is cultural tradition (almost 100%).

My objectives to keep me from getting bored are:

Unify India. All Indian cultural groups should be under my rule.

Don’t expand beyond that. I’ll only annex non-Indian provinces if they’re part of a mission or to release them as vassals afterward. My domains should only be India and eventual colonies.

Keep Indian military units. I’d like to see how Indian units fare against others. If I wanted to use line infantry or caracole cavalry I’d play as Sweden or France, not Delhi.

Become defender of the faith. Earn the right to call myself khalifa by defending all Sunni muslims in danger everywhere. It’d be an interesting late game objective.

Don’t have democratic form of government. It wouldn’t go so well with the caliphate theme. I could become a republican dictatorship, but none of those which have elections.

Last edited:
Feedback

sprites That SE Asian nation is Lan Xang. They also implode in the next years. It's unfortunate, I'd really like some serious competition now.

And Portugal has actually changed their capital to North Africa. I rarely see them do that. Normally they conquer a whole bunch of provinces there, lose a bunch of provinces in Europe, but still remain in Europe when it'd be much more advantageous to change continents. I glad they did it this time.

Well done. Now that Ming is out of the way, you're safe and sound.

dinofs - yep, safe and sound from external threats. The only problems will probably be internal for the next decades, until Europeans start arriving or trying to conquer the Middle East.

The Reign of Sultan/Padishah Mohammed Shah IV Thuqluqid (916- 929 AH) (1511-1523 in the Christian calendar) (A/D/M 6/6/7)

Part 2: Empire

Just after commissioning the national census, Mohammed Shah IV received good news from the south and bad news from the west.

The good news were that the Maduraian Empire had collapsed into three different states in May 1516.

figj.jpg

The bad news was that the Persian court, which he so much admired, had decided to make their imam receive the title of khalifa.

figk.jpg

Mohammed Shah IV decided that this would be need to be taken care of in the long term. The war with Persia for the title of calipha would take decades, not years. The first order of business would be take control of the Indus river, making it Delhi’s western border, attacking at first the fellow Muslim state of Sind. In July 1516 the sultanate went to war against Sind for the province of Jasalmir, which most courtiers believed was rightfully Delhi’s (some papers at least seemed to prove it so).

figl.jpg

Sind was allied with several other kingdoms (Chagatai, Nogai and the Jalayrids) but none would be able to help them, all of them being far away and only Chagatai sharing a border with Delhi.

The war went well, with Mohammed Isa I Faruq, bey of Sind, trying to storm the Delhi sarkar (province) of Kutch in August. The Delhi general Saikander Nagar led the 6th army to lift the siege, being successful and able to obliterate all of Sind’s forces just after one month.

In January 1517 Mohammed Isa I Faruq accepted the peace deal and in the next month Chagatai and the others accepted as well Delhi’s claims to Jaisalmer.

In August 1517 both Tibet and Bhutan declared war on the failed state of Ming. Mohammed Shah IV preferred to be in alliance with Tibet to gain their trust, since the Bhutanese already trusted Delhi.

The war with Ming was uneventful, with Delhi’s armies spending most of the time climbing the Hymalayas and fighting some Ming pretender rebels or particularists. The war ended in march of 1519, with Tibet acquiring two of Ming’s provinces.

In October of 1519 Mohammed Shah IV decided to end the Maduraian problem by declaring Jihad on them. The battle of Kongu could only be described as a picnic, with 3,000 dead Maduraians in the field and none from Delhi. The sieges were fast as well, since most Maduraian men defected (since they weren’t paid well ever since Madurai went bankrupt). In April of 1520 the war ended with Delhi gaining the sarkars of Teruchchiripalli and Kongu. Mohammed Shah IV considered changing the first one’s name to something more easily pronounceable.

figo.jpg

In1520 Mohammed Shah IV started building centres of production in the capital of each sarkar, which would greatly enhance the income of Delhi in the coming years (production tech 9 and begun the construction of workshops).

Mohammed Shah IV did his last great reform in 1521. In that year he changed his title from Sultan to Padishah, again being influenced by Persian titles. He changed completely the way Delhi was ruled, appointing men of learning to rule the sarkars and a new office called "Eye of the Padishah" to check the works of these men, instead of trying to rule it all by himself, as his ancestors used to do. He copied much of the new administrative rules from the works of Darius the Great of the ancient Achaemenid Empire of Persia. Some historians later said that February 1521 marks the end of the Delhi Sultanate and the beginning of the Delhi Empire (Adopt imperial administration - -3 stability).

figm.jpg

The common people didn’t understand much of the changes that happened with the adoption of imperial administration and things got confused. The sight of a comet in 1522, combined with the death of Khidr Kan Jahan (the one who wrote the astrological book) were seen as bad omens (-1 stability, reaching -3).

fign.jpg

To appease the people, Mohammed Shah IV hired a great artist known as Ibrahim Shariff (6*) but it didn’t work in his lifetime. In July of 1523 Mohammed Shah IV died, leaving his heir far too young to rule and several provinces under the siege of traditionalist rebels who didn't like the way things were going in Delhi.

Last edited:
5th Regency Council (929-932 AH) (1523-1526 in the Christian calendar) (A/D/M 7/7/5)

also known as the Sultana Regency.

Mohammed Shah IV’s reforms made sure that, in the event of his death the government would go into capable hands: that of his favorite wife, Samara of Kokkand.

In 1523, just as Mohammed Shah IV’s corpse was being cremated, a pretender to the throne rose in the sarkar (province) of Golconda; His name was Mubarrak Shah Lohia, a descendant of the Lohia noble family which had much influence in the past (during the reigns of sultans Nusrat Shah I and Mubarrak Shah II) but now had grown in disfavor.

Mubarrak Shah Lohia, the pretender, gathered other nobles to his standard, people who were dissatisfied with the way things were changing too fast in Delhi in the past few years and wanted everything to go back the way it was, with no Persian manners or imperial administration.

figq.jpg

But the Lohia Pretender was soon killed by Islam Shah Azad, the mobile, one of Delhi’s most trusted generals, known for how quick he could make his men march (movement 5). Islam Shah Azad led 2 armies of 10,000 to crush the few nobles that had come under the Lohia banner.

In 1525 news came to the court of several serfs getting dissatisfied with their lot in life. Apparently all the changes made in the last years had made them want to receive new rights, specially the one to move wherever they wanted. Samara of Kokkand accepted their demands, thinking that not only this would make the general populace like her and her son more (avoiding another rebellion), but would alienate the nobles even more (something she desired, since she didn’t trust any of them since the Lohia revolt).

figr.jpg

The rest of the regency period was uneventful, with people slowly understanding more about the new ways (stability -2 again) and Samara getting her son brides from Baluchistan and Haasa. She also continued the policy of her husband of constructing workshops in the richest sarkars (provinces) of Delhi.

Good gains and Workshops are always nice :)

I guess a bit of consolidation is due at -2 stab and with a regency.

It's 1526 and you're on your fifth regency? I'm surprised anybody actually wants the thone as it seems to be a pretty quick route to the grave.

As to future government forms, you could argue for Constitutional Monarchy, explained as Sharia law moderating the power of the emperor. This would also give a reason for the +2% prestige.

Van Thanks!

Prawn Star I agree, always gotta love'em workshops. The first third of my next ruler is a bit calm, with consolidation.

Dewirix Now that you're saying it, yeah it's been pretty unlycky. Maybe some fort of curse on the Delhi throne?

I liked your suggestion about constitutional monarchy. I never actually used that form of government, and I'm looking forward to it.

The Reign of Padishah Mohammed Shah V Thuqluqid (932-??? AH) (1526-???? in the Christian calendar) (A/D/M 6/7/3)

also known as Mohammed Shah, the unfriendly.

Part I: Losing friends (Qin)

Mohammed Shah V began his reign by marrying foreign princesses from the countries of Hedjaz and Baluchistan. The first marriage would prove very fruitful in the coming years.

But the defining moment of Mohammed Shah V’s reign was when the kingdom of Tibet called for aid against the crumbling state of Ming in July 1530. Tibet had been warned by another Delhi ally, Qin, which was becoming very powerful. Mohammed Shah, having to choose between two friends, decided to remain with Tibet, since there was some frontier with them (and since Qin was becoming more and more expansionist and belligerent in the last years). And so the 3rd Tibetan-Ming Punitive war began, with former friends having to go to battle with each other.

fig1-2.jpg

Good news would come one month later, though, as Yazmin, the princess of Hedjaz, would give birth to Ibrahim, the heir to the throne (A/D/M 7/5/8).

In February 1531 Delhi accepted a white peace deal with Ming, the leader of the enemy coalition. Mohammed Shah V did that because a 20,000 Qin army was approaching the 3rd legion in Kuruk Tag, and the 3rd legion only counted 10,000 men, being led by Mohammed Shah V himself. Qin and Ming remained at war with Tibet, but in July white peace was made between all of them. Everything was back as it was, except that Delhi now had one less ally.

fig2-3.jpg

Mohammed Shah V would go into the history books as a patron of the arts. He hired a great artist to the court, a poet known as Ibrahim Shariff (level 6 artist, stability +18). Ibrahim Shariff would help convey to the common people the beauty of the Persian culture the court had adopted, making the peasants less dissatisfied with all the changes. His efforts were admired throughout the great nation of Delhi.

fig5-3.jpg

In April 1531 Ibrahim Shariff advised Mohammed Shah V to make a decision so that every edict of his empire would have to be written in a very stylized form of calligraphy known as Dirwani script. Many people from all over the Muslim world would admire the beauty of such documents in the years to come (and they’d become collectioner’s items in the 20th century).

fig3-3.jpg

fig4-3.jpg

With stability regained in the empire, Mohammed Shah V decided that it was time to continue the work of his ancestors of uniting India. Between 1531 and 1547 Mohammed Shah waged seven Jihads against the Hindu minor states of Bijapur, Travanacore , Maharasthra, Deva Bengal and Maldives, gaining the provinces of Goa, Mysore, Calicut, Madurai, Bangalore, Silhet, Konkan, Maharasthra and Malabar. These were all easy wars, and many of these provinces would soon convert to Islam in the following years.

fig6-4.jpg

All that's not green would become so by 1547

Mohammed Shah V would also go down in history as a wise ruler, who wanted his people to be freer of the old ways and customs. He, like his mother, gave more freedom to the serfs (free subjects +1). This freedom was put into good use, as the productivity of free farmers was great, making the prices of several agricultural products go lower, increasing the welfare of everyone in the empire.

fig7-2.jpg

Mohammed Shah V’s good fortunes would probably reach their apex in December 1535, as the amir of Hedjaz died and the padishah was declared ruler of Hedjaz (personal union with Hedjaz). This meant that Mohammed Shah would rule both Mecca and Medina, which was only fitting since he was the khalifa. Also in that year the Panjabi culture was accepted in the Delhi court, always a good thing in multicultural India (only 25% of my population is from my main culture).

fig8-2.jpg

fig9-2.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent, a PU getting you Mecca and Medina. :D Once you inherit those, no one will be able to dispute your title of Khalifa.

Poor Mohammed Shah. A patron of the arts, a keen calligrapher and a defender of the common man, yet he gets stuck with the epithet 'the unfriendly'.

Suppose the five jihads didn't help.

dinofs: Yes, the personal union is excellent. But as far as the khalifa business goes, it get more complicated in the future. See the next post for an explanation.

Dewirix: Mohammed Shah V's epithet will be made more clear in the next two updates. For the people of Delhi he was very friendly, but for the foreign powers he actually wasn't :D.