+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Heart of Africa: A Visitor's Guide to Modern Ethiopia

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEast India CompanyEuropa Universalis 3Heir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2
    Rome: Vae Victis500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Blog Entries

The Heart of Africa: A Visitor's Guide to Modern Ethiopia

Heart of Africa:
    A visitor's guide to modern Ethiopia

C 1934, Random House Publishing, New York, NY

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEast India CompanyEuropa Universalis 3Heir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2

Blog Entries

OOC Welcome

This is going to be a true after action report, as I had no intention to AAR this game until it came out so well. Therefore, I decided to use the format of a guidebook for western (specifically American) tourists written at the end of the game, showing off "modern" Ethiopia's achievements. So rather than a narrative that starts in 1835, we'll almost be doing the opposite.

A major influence is a recently republished book called "Advise for American servicemen in Iraq during WWII" which I highly recommend, as it's a short but fascinating time capsule of sorts.

I have ADD and bipolar disorder so I apologize in advance for what will likely be an inconsistent update schedule.

Blog Entries
    Welcome to Ethiopia!

The Empire of Ethiopia is a land of staggering contrasts. It is one of the oldest civilizations on Earth, with a royal family that traces itself back to King Solomon, but it is also a relative newcomer on the world scene. It is a land of ancient traditions and also a place of dynamic change. The land itself is a mixture of towering mountains, deep valleys, parched deserts and humid jungles.

Perhaps the most important thing for a traveler to remember is that too see and experience all Ethiopia has to offer would be the work of a lifetime.

Geography

The Empire of Ethiopia is one of the largest countries on the planet. It stretches from the Congo Delta to the Red Sea, from the cataracts of the Nile to Lake Tanganyika.

Broadly speaking, the Empire has two distinct parts. First there is the "Old Empire", consisting of the Ethiopian Highlands and the Sudan. This part of the Empire has been united under the Emperors' authority the longest, and is the center of modern, civilized life in Africa. The New Empire consists of those territories gained after around 1890. Ethiopians consider it their duty to lift these territories up, in time making them peers of the Old Empire. but for now these territories remain mostly wild and undeveloped.

That is not to say that there are not parts of the Old Empire that are untouched by modernity. There are also islands of sophistication and comfort within the New Empire as well. The city of Nairobi, less than 40 years old, has blossomed into an ideal jumping off point for Safari trips. But in general, the further a traveler gets from the Old Empire the more primitive conditions are likely to be. While the local people are usually friendly, we advise anyone but experienced explorers and mountaineers to stick close to the major railways when traveling in the New Empire.

Ethiopia was one my favorite nations to play as in Vicky 1, so I'm looking forward to seeing how it plays in Vicky 2.
    I arise from my slumber feeling like J.S. Bach.

The Sevillian Chronicles- Now with 20% more deaths!

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEast India CompanyEuropa Universalis 3
    Hearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Victoria 2Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

Blog Entries
    Neat.

Although I'm surprised the Chad and the Kameroons were conquered before Somalia was.
    The Russia Megacampaign - See my other work at my Inkwell

A YeAAR's Education - Rurikovich in Crusader Kings 1066-1393

From Rus to Russia - Kiev in EU3 1393-1836 - Get the Loading Screen Pack - Weekly Showcased AAR, 6/6/09 and 7/7/10 - WritAAr of the Week, 27/7/10 - Ambitions are denied and tasks appointed - Check out the first installment of the Medieval Atlas!

Duke of Bonbon, and also Chevalier Grand Croix of the Ordre Militaire du Saint Christophe.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RGB View Post
    Neat.

Although I'm surprised the Chad and the Kameroons were conquered before Somalia was.
    The main factor in that is the French, as you can see in this full world map:

They took a rather aggressive interest in my neighborhood, which I will probably elaborate on.

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedEuropa Universalis IV

I look at China on that map, and my only reaction is "weehhhwha?" That's a pretty ridiculous British Empire.

Wow big Germany and a not shrunken U.s cool!

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight
    EU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham

Blog Entries
    History/guide book! I like.
    Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. -Isa 41:10

For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. -John 3:16
    -------------------------------

My machine specs: i7 2600 @ 3.4 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, Radeon HD6870 with 1 GB RAM, Windows 7 64-bit

Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    MagickaSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Looks intresting

Blog Entries
    Massawa: the Empire's Golden Port

Since it's conquest from the Khedive of Egypt in 1853, most trips to Ethiopia have begun in the Red Sea port of Massawa. Travel to and from Massawa is easier than ever, with the Suez Canal shortening trips from Europe and an extensive rail network leading all the way to the Atlantic.

Shopping aficionados won't want to miss out on Massawa's famous jewelers. Gold strikes in the last century drew skilled goldsmiths from across Africa and the Mideast. Now window shopping in the jewelery district has become a popular pastime for tourists.

But Massawa is most famous for the decisive battle fought here in 1862. In the 1860s, several European powers attempted to 'contain' a rising Ethiopia. In June of 1862 over 50,000 elite French troops landed and tried to seize the newly conquered town from a garrison of 30,000 Imperial troops. Over the next two months, as the Massawa garrison held out against the French attacks, reinforcements from across the empire arrived to launch a counterattack. By August, the French were cut off from reinforcements and water, surrounded and massively outnumbered, and on August 12 the French forces formally surrendered.

A famous painting of the Battle of Massawa. Infamously, the artist depicted the French flag backwards.

August 12 remains a national holiday in the modern Empire, because the victory has an importance beyond the military. The decisive defeat led to the end of the War of Ethiopian Containment. By defeating one of the world's leading military powers, Ethiopia had put a final end to any colonial designs European powers might have held. Captured French soldiers returned home with tales of Ethiopia's impressive civilization, and several French officers wrote books describing their experience. It is only a slight exaggeration to say that before Massawa, Europeans saw Ethiopians as savages to be exploited, while after Massawa they saw Ethiopia as a civilization in its own right.

Should you happen to be in Massawa on the anniversary, you won't want to miss the annual celebrations around the Triumphant Obelisk, erected in 1930. The great square around the Obelisk hosts a parade, with music and colorful marchers from across the Empire.
    Last edited by Deaghaidh; 28-08-2010 at 01:07.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEast India CompanyEuropa Universalis 3
    Hearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Victoria 2Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

Blog Entries
    I find Photobucket way more reliable than Angelfire.

30K Ethiopians vs. 50K French is unbelievable by the standards of the day!
    The Russia Megacampaign - See my other work at my Inkwell

A YeAAR's Education - Rurikovich in Crusader Kings 1066-1393

From Rus to Russia - Kiev in EU3 1393-1836 - Get the Loading Screen Pack - Weekly Showcased AAR, 6/6/09 and 7/7/10 - WritAAr of the Week, 27/7/10 - Ambitions are denied and tasks appointed - Check out the first installment of the Medieval Atlas!

Duke of Bonbon, and also Chevalier Grand Croix of the Ordre Militaire du Saint Christophe.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RGB View Post
    I find Photobucket way more reliable than Angelfire.

30K Ethiopians vs. 50K French is unbelievable by the standards of the day!
    Started at 30k v 50k, by the end it was more 120k v 50 k, as I took armies from the provinces in every neighboring province and set them marching to Massawa as soon as the french landed.

HoI AnthologyFor the Motherland500k club

Tiny pic is a pretty good image host aswell, unlimited storage as far as I can tell (I'm approaching 400 images) and an adequate limit of about 5 mb per pic.

Also... moar.

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: Chronicles
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House Divided500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Great choice of country, with a rich and fascinating history. I'm playing my first game with Ethiopia and enjoying it, although I still haven't attracted foreign attention other than from Egypt.
    On-hold: Mamma Mia! The AAR
    Completed: Europe is our dancefloor | The Shortest Road to Damascus | No Iron, One Lion, Maybe Zion
    Tintero

The July AARlander is out now, no excuse not to read it: Thread | PDF | iBooks

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Rome GoldSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k club

Of course Paradox screwed one thing up in Vicky. Ethiopis didn't exist as a unified state in 1836. Was divided in rivalling petty kingdoms until 1855 when it was united by Tewodoros. Of course Ethiopia is always interesting since it's one of the really hard nations in both Vicky 1 and 2.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineKing Arthur IIMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the ArcaneCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderWarlock 2: The ExiledEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica
    EUIV: Art of War

Blog Entries
    No bisected crustaceans eh?
    "Man is free; but his freedom does not look like the glorious liberty of the Enlightenment; it is no longer the gift of God. Once again, man stands alone in the universe, responsible for his condition, likely to remain in a lowly state, but free to reach above the stars.."
    -Jean-Paul Sartré

General in Chief of the CSA Projekt 919's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    March of the EaglesSemper FiVictoria 2500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by yourworstnightm;
    Of course Paradox screwed one thing up in Vicky. Ethiopis didn't exist as a unified state in 1836. Was divided in rivalling petty kingdoms until 1855 when it was united by Tewodoros. Of course Ethiopia is always interesting since it's one of the really hard nations in both Vicky 1 and 2.
    Ethiopia did exist in 1836, in fact it had existed from sometime in the 1270's AD the King of Kings (the actual title of the Ethiopian monarchs) of ethiopia lost authoriy over many of the empires outlying provinces progressively from the 16th century, tewodoros merely recentralized the state and regained actual control over areas that were already part of Ethiopia. But anyway Ethiopia existed continually from the 1270's AD

edit: sahle dengel I was emperor/king of kings in 1836
    Last edited by Projekt 919; 28-08-2010 at 16:49.
    1st Knight and Grandmaster of the Order of Southern Paradoxians
    Unreconstructed and Nationalist Southern Intellectual
    Descendant of James Clarke Taylor, Who's 34th Georgia Regiment was sacrificed in vain by General Pemberton in an attempt to slow the Northern Armies
    A believer in that faint glimmer of hope that we Southerners will not fall into the dustbin of history and may one day have our own Country Again
    Avid reader and student of Faulkner
    Expert on North Korea and lover of History in General
    Permenant Fan (And within Paradox Games, Player) of Lost Causes
    Student of International Affairs
    Confederate Ronin of Clan Taylor, second to Tufto-san, the Daimyo of Groan
    (Join the Order of Southern Paradoxians at: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...hp?groupid=531 and I will send you your Number by PM)

200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Victoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisEU Rome Collectors Edition500k club

Good AAR, I like the style.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast