• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Nice work, BB.

Luckily I saw Casablanca. Once and about 8 or 10 years ago, but that's a scene I still remember.

Qorten: Luckily? The movie is wickedly overrated. :p

Enewald: They’re coming to get you.

aldriq: The Moroccan states were 4 a piece so I’m tiptoeing just under the BB line.

I don’t know about you but I just saw an act the other day and decided that ventriloquists really freak me out. They’re up there and you know they practice doing their act by talking with themselves alone in a room. Its kinda freaky.

153llyt.jpg

2z54tqa.jpg

“What are you, doing here? Working on being some kind of lush?”

“Its a new badge for boyscouts I'm trying to get.”

“You’re too old for boyscouts.”

“I meant manscouts.”

“You are not a man. You are punctuation.”

“That’s not what your girlfriend said last night.”

... There’s something really wrong with you, Semicolon. Anyway, we have to get this thing going. My first elections began in 1840 and on 2 June I reached Great Power status. I feel wicked strong.

34hi9fn.jpg

v8irrd.jpg

And by the way, I didn’t just sneak in at #8. I’m #7... although me burning off BB means I’m probably going to be sitting around doing nothing for a while.

The party in power didn’t change come July so I kept plugging away and was finally able to raise my military maintenance 100% while still making enough cash to keep me afloat in mid November. 29 December I was able to repay my debt in full.

1841 passed without much happening which bled into 1842. By late January I’d expanded influence in Morocco, the Netherlands and Luxembourg while being pleasantly surprised that my capitalists were working on the railroad.

35d2qef.jpg

And Portugal and Morocco went to war the previous year but it ended in early March with Portugal taking Morocco’s northern coast.

a5dxlw.jpg

Early July France declared war on the UK which destroyed my alliance because there was no way I was going to be able to take on France. Leaving behind the UK kinda made it feel like I was leaving a cult and just a bit of advice, I suggest you never join one. For example, I was going to join one and for part of my initiation they wanted to use my house for a “little get together.” Yeah, try explaining that one to the cops. So now I have a pair of Nike shoes that are all but worthless!

Still, I decided to shove on with a shiny new alliance with Portugal in February 1843 which they’d fail to honor after Spain declared war on me - for Taza - in April... Well, at least I built some ships. Hopefully that’ll be enough to keep them out of Africa and Belgium’s Europe.

x28izq.jpg

Enewald: Judging by the last pic, I think they’re trying to right things again. ;)

aldriq: Yeah, I was surprised they declared war on me but I guess they really want pieces of Morocco. But as you’ll see, its harder than it looks.

Quacky: As long as I get the land, everything’s okay. :cool:

At the start of the war I figured I’d try taking down the small Spanish groups of ships like hookers on the streets of Whitechaple. At first I took out four of their ships but by early July I discovered I’d need a bigger boat... or at least more of them.

21dqryq.jpg

But hey, at least I was able to take Melilla on 7 July. Unfortunately, Portugal declared war on me in late September wanting Wujda. What’s the deal with this? AI? It can’t mean intelligence so I’m assuming its all by accident kind of like when my finger slipped on the trigger six times. I told them, ‘If the glove doesn’t fit, you must acquit,’ however I happened to be wearing a white one... not a black one.

And - Aw, ****.

ehaof4.jpg

I gave into Spain’s demands and offered up Taza, freeing me from any real African invasion threats. I still haven’t been able to raise many troops since the start of the game and I was willing to hire mercs... if there were any.

20sd4es.jpg

Anyway, I decided to hold Portugal responsible and planned on exacting my revenge on them for me losing Taza which shattered my awesome “Belgian Morocco” map lettering into nothing. Of course Canadian Judge gave the move a 10.

At least I had my troops halved between Africa and Europe... Half my troops invaded the Netherlands while the other half went south to occupy Luxembourg. This permitted me to occupy Utrecht in the middle of March, and occupying Luxembourg in the middle of April. Conveniently, the UK ended a war and entered mine after the Netherlands asked for their help... 28,000 Brits landed in Bruges. This isn’t going to end well.

24wy61y.jpg

Yeah, that did not end well. I’m talking about Joaquin Phoenix’s career, not the movie... okay, I’m talking about the movie, too.

After taking out the Netherlands capital I combined my European troops and sent all my troops into Bruges... against the British. Come October I felt like I just built a railroad through Rock Ridge.

2myondf.jpg

Late November I cleaned up the UK from Belgium followed by the very weakened Dutch soldiers. After all that fighting the UK offered me a white peace 7 January 1845. I was shocked. At least this leaves me to take apart Portugal like I’ve always wanted, or at least since about an hour of playing time ago.

317jmeo.jpg

Between then and the time I was actually able to do enough to Portugal to add a wargoal, Spain and UK signed an alliance and France went to war with the Ottoman Empire. Everyone’s getting along yet strangely I feel left out. So I decided to add Sao Tome to my aim, putting me .89 over the BB limit. With all Great Powers busy or on a truce - except Prussia - I decided to take my chances. After a little while it seemed to not be a good idea.

2lk432x.jpg

My navy didn’t have anything to worry about with Portugal so I could go around as I liked, sacking Madeira and Tangiers... on 1 January I decided to check out my warscore and discovered Portugal was ready for peace. Nice.

e0k41k.jpg

However, Prussia kept worsening relations. I began feeling like the California courts going up against Lindsey Lohan... No matter what I tried doing for them, they did nothing but spit in my face. Speaking figuratively, because a country on a map can’t literally spit on you but give Paradox a few years and they’ll work it out.

160d8at.jpg

29cp4wg.jpg

Well... that isn’t going to help.

I suspect you are going to have more trouble dislodging the Prussian army out of your territory than those few British brigades :eek:

Yeah, that did not end well. I’m talking about Joaquin Phoenix’s career, not the movie... okay, I’m talking about the movie, too.

All these films (Contact, Signs, Knowing) invariably leave me with one certainty: if aliens exist and find out about humanity they'll first exterminate science fiction screenwriters... and directors, producers, actors...

Enewald: They’d arrive just in time to surrender. :cool:

aldriq: Worst thing, I remember hearing good things about Signs but a bad ending can destroy a whole movie. It happens a lot more than it used to.

Eight days after the declaration of war I checked out what Prussia wanted... Containment. It reminds me of a little thing that happened between the US and Cuba in the 1960's when the US installed a "Quarantine." It wasn’t a big deal, you might’ve heard of it. It was called

wup2mu.jpg

So I offered what they wanted as though it were a sacrificial virgin and Prussia was the volcano. I just pretended I was France for a little while...

15e8w7t.jpg

Does the AI seem a little unambitious in this game, or what? OE doesn’t go after Egypt, Spain almost never does anything unless someone gets in the way in Morocco... just sayin. Peace almost seems too easy at times.

But the peace would be my reason for falling out of GP status, giving it up to the OE. Its still early - that’s what she said... right before she asked me why the singer’s name was Alice. I said listen baby, you really wouldn’t understand.

By September the French/OE war ended with France taking Tripoli... and I had just slipped under the BB line. :D

sauop0.jpg

Early in 1847 Spain went after Morocco, in March I became a GP again and Austria began the first of what I thought would be many DoW’s against Prussia. At least it’ll keep the bastards at bay. After a month I decided to give war subsidies to Austria. I’m still not sure if it actually helps the war if you give it to them or not but it raises relations so why not.

26 May Spain annexed Morocco for what I assume to be almost no BB. This kind of thing happens for the AI far too often. Now if there were actually difficulty levels I wouldn’t be bothered but if I’m playing on “normal”

afa734.jpg

then I want the AI to suffer the same BB penalties I do.

2077ztw.jpg

Its especially fun when the bones get so tight they snap through the skin. Yummay!

Although the thing I always get a kick out of is seeing my population flood the new territories. Its just a little strange that they’d want to come to a desert with little opportunity for advancement rather than stay home... in Europe... where there is nothing but peace and tranquility.

2u4k2l5.jpg

19 May 1849 Austria and Prussia signed peace with Austria giving up Moravia and admitting Hegemony. I guess that’s money down the drain.

2ext0ew.jpg

When 1850 started I was just drunk enough to see if I could stop the blades of a fan with my tongue. I also wrote down my military stats as vaguely as possible: 60k troops, 33 ships. I’m getting there.

6 August the CSA formed but I didn’t put much into it.

Things were kinda quiet for a while with my high BB so I sat through 1851 while Russia, Krakow and Sweden went to war against the OE, Wallachia and UK. It’s about as historical a Crimean War that you're going to get in vanilla Vik II - which blows... a game without historical events is as plain as vanilla EU3... and boring - but I didn’t see Tolstoy anywhere. Saw plenty of the 600 though.

16iz31t.jpg

Gah! A guy with a beard like that won’t starve for weeks!

And 1852 was almost just as quiet except I added Hedjaz to my SoI and sent subsidies to Russia and Sweden. I want a strong Russia. Toward the end of the year Yemen entered my SoI too and I readjusted my influence points.

347gyfp.jpg

Some say Ruhr is an heavy industry area, but in V2, the black heart of Europe is in Böhmen and Mähren. Those provinces are just sick. :wacko:

Does the AI seem a little unambitious in this game, or what? OE doesn’t go after Egypt, Spain almost never does anything unless someone gets in the way in Morocco... just sayin. Peace almost seems too easy at times.

It seems to be the case in 1.1, hopefully they'll inject some ambition in future patches...

Enewald: Some also say the moon is made of cheese. It makes me never want to go there.

aldriq: One can only hope.

WT* did they do to my forum?!?!?!? Now my Japan/Victoria AAR is off-center! And the AAR is strangely red rather than meshed into the background. Actually, the only thing that bothers me are the forum colors aren’t what they were before. This doesn’t feel like the Victoria forum. Its kind of like when Paradox initially changed the color of Austria in EU3 from what it was in EU2.

Oh well, we’ve got an AAR to write.

After finding out that the save game isn’t going to be compatible with 1.2 - as far as I’ve been hearing, haven’t heard anyone with a real voice say it yet - I hurried up and finished the Belgium game during the break rather than write up new updates for my AARs. I didn’t want this AAR to also crumble due to mechanical stuff.

So around 1853 I allied with Yemen which proved to be almost useless but I was getting lonely in my geopolitical world.

1znols6.jpg

Over the course of the middle months of the year the Netherlands was tossed out of an SOI and I risked militancy for cash. And by the first of July, I also added Ethiopia to my SOI in case Egypt decided to go after them again.

2e1gkr8.jpg

Then around late July I began increasing influence in Portugal, intent on kicking out both the UK and Spain. I felt like a police officer knocking on a run down door and showing my warrant so I could take down the punks.

2emzxoy.jpg

Through ‘54 France went to war with Prussia over the Rhineland, Austria went to war with Prussia over Moravia and I finally gained the upper hand in Portugal. The French/Prussian war would result in a white peace less than a year later.

By 1855 the Netherlands was no longer allied with the UK and was still out of people’s sphere

2gy3lon.jpg

and I declared war on the Netherlands for Friesland. I had about 72 ships which I thought would take care of Spain, Portugal and the Netherlands.

25syfci.jpg

About a month into the battle I found the only Dutch army unit in Europe, which I easily demolished. This General is so awesome I considered changing his name from Camille to almost anything else. Around this time I got my blockade on and nobody was going to run through it... I was protecting Africa so I can take out both Portugal and Spain without having to land on their far colonies or Iberia.

5mk2ly.jpg

Through the months and to November I managed to take Middleburg, Agadir, Benguela and Utrecht. I added Egypt to my sphere and wiped out the Dutch army on 13 November. 15 November I occupied the Dutch capital and wiped another army, this time a Spanish one in North Africa that once held 18,000. Those sneaky ****.

The war wasn’t looking too bad by the start of the year.

2hef42e.jpg

12 January 1856 I discovered a new war goal... assert hegemony which I used. It was BB free so why not?

The occupations continued through March and by the end of it, white peace treaties were signed with both Portugal and Spain, leaving the Netherlands lonelier than an actual Democrat at a Democrat convention.

On 1 September I brought the Netherlands to their knees.

207n6rp.jpg

At the start of ‘57 I was only building influence in Portugal and the Netherlands since my peace knocked them down to 10th place. I also permitted universal suffrage. The dudes a few decades from now should thank me because there’s not going to be any hideous ugly women-who-look-like-men who want to vote. Susan B Anthony makes my blood curdle.

2ywxpi8.jpg

You’re welcome.

The US would win the Civil War in that year, I allied with Egypt and I had a Hello, Nurse moment when I received a CB on Spain however due to the recent peace I didn’t want the prestige drop since I’m still trying to maintain my Great Power status.

The next few years were pretty quiet. In ‘58 the liberals were still winning elections, I expanded naval bases in Bruges and Tarfaya and took a shot of the Wallonians in Ifni. They must love their deserts.

2u8jcqb.jpg

Nice war and a nice victory, eventual goals with the Dutch?

I'll warrant that asserting hegemony was just the cherry on the pie for you.

(feel free to throw things for that line)

Qorten & PrawnStar: I never really had any goals for the Dutch until they initiated that first war. At this point, now that I’ve taken all I could on Europe, I had little interest in the Netherlands outside of their small Africa possession but 8 infamy for one province is steep. Hopefully they fix the problem of 9 bb for one province states in a future patch.

Enewald: Power grows from the barrel of a gun... not assimilation. :p

aldriq: Time will say... I’ve had +200 relations with France as soon as I could get it up that high and they haven’t been dropping relations at all so I feel confident about not having to worry about France. However, Prussia is another matter...

After giving up on my search for my DB longhand writing, I’ve decided to write another update rather than attempt to recreate what I’ve lost. Its moments like these that make you feel like Hemingway... or Hadley at least.

So around April ‘61 Austria and Prussia went to war again easing my mind but eleven days after the declaration, Spain declared war on me again, wanting Sawira. They definitely love Morocco for some reason. It must be for Polisario or something. It’s the only place you can get it. Russia joined the Spanish side leaving me with my invulnerable allies, Egypt and Yemen at my side.

Months went by with the usual war stuff happening while I continued to sweep away the Spanish/Russian fleets that tried coming around North Africa. The AI, over the course of many Paradox games, still haven't learned to stack their ships.

sdpkyx.jpg

By October Spain had lost their GP status to the OE. Toward the end of that month I landed 18,000 from my mainland in North Africa to aid with the sieges of Spanish Morocco.

Months went by with nothing but sieges but I noticed Egypt getting in on the fight... unfortunately for them - and their soldiers - they took the long way.

1607ci1.jpg

Even Yemen stopped by for some fun - their flag kind of look like a group of rebels.

2guw6jd.jpg

A few months later I realized I wasn’t going to get out of the war what I wanted so I sped through Gibraltar, wanting to on some Spanish islands. But I discovered Egypt really was in the war and was having a tough go with it. So plans were changed.

20a5kcp.jpg

23 June Liberty Prevailed, knocking away 3 BB. In case you’ve missed it, now is the time to begin salivating. Just make sure you bring your own bucket.

axfm1k.jpg

Late August Russia decided to add the war goal to annex Yemen and about a week later the Netherlands declared war. Something about wanting their land back. However I still have about 40k in mainland Belgium and am only at war with the Netherlands and Luxembourg. Although this does mean I can’t transport those extra troops to aid Egypt or continue efforts against Spain.

The opposing Dutch army is still pathetic and just one of my 23k armies can handle them while the other will head into Luxembourg, working on some warscore.

2ni1v60.jpg

By late September I kicked the Russians out of Egypt but their occupations still existed, keeping another one of my armies occupied.

Throughout the rest of the year I took out the Netherlands European army, I completely occupied North Africa - with Yemen and Egypt’s aid - and the Austrian/Prussian war ended with Austria losing Bohemia.

Seven days into 1863 Egypt and Russia signed a white peace and twenty three days after that I occupied the Netherlands capital. I added a small war goal that they’d have to release Luxembourg from their puppet status.

ndv5mc.jpg

A few months later, I began landing troops in Spain.

mcrtyb.jpg

By July the Luxembourg capital fell as had Valencia and Spain tried getting in my way. But a day after the victorious battle Portugal declared war. I was starting to understand what Robbie Knievel feels like after he realizes he’s just missed a jump. Two months later I signed peace with Spain. Less than three weeks later I’d sign a release puppet peace with the Netherlands and a white peace with Russia, ending those wars.

296gd3o.jpg

By July - again - of 1864 I added Hedjaz to my sphere, allying with them as well. Also all of Portugal’s North America was occupied which led to a nice white peace. Although not everything ended well. During my onslaught, Egypt was removed from my SOI thanks to the OE but at least I still have Portugal. And with all their provinces/states in Africa, they're my prime target.

2drrkmb.jpg