• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Brandenburg III

A Smooth Operator
25 Badges
Jun 22, 2007
  • Lead and Gold
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Rise of Prussia
  • Pride of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2
  • Rome Gold
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • The Kings Crusade
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III
  • East India Company Collection
  • Darkest Hour
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
Edit: AAR begins on Post #16

This AAR is not your typical AAR. Its dedicated to those who’ve been around these unique AARs I’ve been writing since my second AAR attempt. Below this, and over time, there will be a number of excerpts from my AARs that mirror the style of this project. If you like it, chances are you’ll like this AAR which begins on Post #16.

Anyway, everyone who has ever commented in any of my AARs now has a right to choose which nation I will play and in which game (Victoria w/ VIP, EU3 w/ IN (option of MM), Rome w/ Epiogi or FTG.) As standard, it will have my “attempt at humor” that I often had in my earlier AARs so hopefully we’ll find some faces we don’t see anymore... C’est Moi??? Azugal??? Throne??? I know you guys aren’t dead. I just checked your profiles. ;)

So guys, come alive. This one’s for everyone who ever commented in any of my AARs. Anyone whose commented does have a vote (and I will check because that’s how “beautiful" I am. ;) )

This first post will have a feature of my favorite personal pictures I created, my favorite lines I used and my favorite posts from other users in my AARs (if you want me to remove your post, then pm me and I’ll remove it from this post.) But eventually, this post will be a shrine to me!!! (You know you love it.)

So here’s the line. Tell me what game and what country you want me to play. I list this in EU3 because more than likely you’re going to choose this one but if that changes I’ll contact a mod.

Last edited:
Having read through that first post and looked at the links I can only conclude I talk a lot of crap don't I? :rofl:

Once you decide which game you are going to play you can choose a particular forum to start the AAR in. But if you haven't settled on which game it will be, this has to go in General Discussion. There will be a re-direct in the EU3 subforum for the next week in case anyone is looking for the thread. :)

I vote that you finish some of your unfinished AARs...

Seriously? This stuff is getting old, man.

You realize out of all the ones I started, I only have one abandoned AAR? I really don’t understand the problem. You don’t like it? Don’t read anything that has Brandenburg III in the title.

Seriously? This stuff is getting old, man.

You realize out of all the ones I started, I only have one abandoned AAR? I really don’t understand the problem. You don’t like it? Don’t read anything that has Brandenburg III in the title.

Enewald seems to be reading every single AAR, so he must have found unfinished Brandenburg III AARs you didn't even know existed! :rofl:

Quick update all.

I was originally planning to release this as soon as the Siam AAR ended and now that I keep running into a CTD wall over and over again - always at different dates - I’ll go ahead and give this another bump and another week before I start it.

I will say that I’m now adding Victoria II to my list of available games although the list of countries will be limited. You can choose only these Great Powers: Ottoman Empire or Austria. And any power between ranking 9 - 40 at the start of the game. I’ve found Great Powers to be incredibly easy after the first few years - totally awesome that they didn’t put in varying difficulty levels :rolleyes: - so I want to stay away from them. Also since I’m still very new to the game I don’t want to completely jump off the deep end just yet. So those are the options if you want me in Vicky II.

As an aside I do have the rebel fix installed which was an incredible help when rebels were becoming insane by 1852. :eek: I don’t understand why people are so upset about the game aside from the OE never hitting Egypt, Prussia/Austria going to war every five years of the US never invading Mexico. From the horrible publicity received by flaming members on these forums I was expecting something absolutely completely broken. And those of you who’ve followed me for the longest time know I’m no shill for the company and that I do say what’s on my mind. Its a good game.

An added note, I’ve tried both Wallachia and Shirvan in their respective games. I’ve never been very good at EU2 and that’s transferred well to FtG ;) so I won’t be able to play it without being annexed fairly quickly and without finding a bit of luck. However, I’ve played a decade or two of practice years with Wallachia and found them very playable in MM.

If a vote is split, then I will take my choice between those tied selections. And I’m letting the “voting” run for another week. If you want to change your vote, just edit it - no need to post a new post - and I’ll look at this thread again before I start up whatever game.

Over time the first post of this thread will get an overhaul. Initially I expected no one to write anything in this thread and had planned on turning it into a mausoleum for my "best of" attempt-at-humor/stream of consciousness quotes/comments. So if nothing else, check out the first post every once in a while. Although I probably won’t touch it until this AAR begins and yeah, the title will be changed and this thread moved so make sure you’re subscribed this thread if you want to follow along.

I’ll also get to all comments after the first update is up.

I'll second Vic II with Belgium. That was my first game - very playable and fun, but by no means a pushover.

I disagree with the faction that says Vic 2 isn't playable. I've had a lot of fun with it so far with significantly more problems created by my poor decision making than game issues.

But back on topic - Belgium is a fun one.

tuore: Looking back I think there is one more that I forgot. :)

CatKnight: I’m still not sure what most of the people are/were complaining about. There are fixes for just about everything in the mod forum.

Serek: Colombia is 42. I didn’t think they were that low. But I did have a short game with them before starting this thread, taking pieces of the Central American States, much of Ecuador and Venezuela. But I was still learning and didn’t go too deep with it.

Enewald: I was actually expecting most of the people to pick Sweden.

To all: I’ve only played as Belgium twice in the original Victoria, one in VIP and the other in vanilla and both were successful. But I think Victoria was an easier game... at least it is until I learn this one.

I was going to start this AAR tomorrow but it looks like the voting has dried up and I don’t think anyone else who comes along is going to tilt the balance in another way. So the game will be Belgium and the game will be Victoria II. I’ll probably be altering the first post later tonight.

Well, I’m far too lazy to send a pm so if a mod is looking in on this, we can move it to the Vic 2 forum with a title change to:

My Terminal Uniqueness: A Belgium AAR

This is a Brandenburg III AAR. Keep your arms, legs and tentacles inside the AAR at all times or I’ll slice them off with my axe. You're not going anywhere and I’m a collector, after all. And they go for big money in the third world, especially tentacles. Aphrodisiacs, baby.

r0qtn7.jpg

And if anyone can guess what song the title comes from, I’m gonna love you forever. Or at least until a nice shiny red walloon comes along. Probably one that’s been drinking. Anyway, let’s Hello Nurse this AAR and get things started.

az6t5i.jpg

I noticed a few things right off: The flow of cash is always dropping at the start of the game, unlike after a few years when you're a great power and the income is never-ending, kind of like the list of EU III expansions. You now realize that no employee of Paradox can ever complain about another Rocky movie being made? It’s a law somewhere, I’m sure of it.

Also no one wants to be my ally. I mean, what’s the deal with everyone not wanting to be my friend? Why do I have to bribe everyone? C’mon Paradox, I play your games to get out of reality, not to relive it. Even the mannequin said, “Not tonight, my knee hurts.” WTH, over? Its all downhill from here. Who wants a drink? And normally this would be my segue to Semicolon but its just too early in the AAR. Either way, I locked him in the basement and I don’t think he’s coming out for a while.

So I’m ranked 9th and managed to secure an alliance with the UK. And forget about the income, I began building four more clipper transports and another cavalry unit - its the last unit I’m going to be able to build for a while.

2ef591d.jpg

In March I decided to take a little vacation to Tunis for two reasons: One was a prestige bump but the primary one was to place my troops in closer proximity to Morocco so transportation wouldn’t take as long when I declared war on them for full and total annexation. So let’s find a theme song for Tunis... how about...

2irw94z.jpg

eh, the song’s a joke but what can you do?

After accidentally wiping the Tunisian army in August - they followed me and wouldn’t stop trying to liberate their province :rolleyes: - I moved into the Tunisian capital and took it by the end of October. The Tunisians accepted peace and I was all ready to annex Morocco.

tak51v.jpg

While on my way to Morocco, carrying half of my entire army, the Netherlands declared war. At this point I thought about what I wanted to do. I had the alliance with the UK - which they honored - and I was sure I could handle the Dutch until the UK arrived but that would mean relying on the AI and I did that plenty in my PictAARs AAR. Oftentimes it wasn’t fun. So instead of declaring war on Morocco, my ships headed home while the British battled the Dutch navy. I only have a few clippers and if I want to take on the Netherlands by myself - more or less -, I’m going to need my entire army.

rsrak2.jpg

As for what they want? Well, they want to annex me and I’m not really into it. I really wanted Morocco but now Spain, France or Portugal is probably going to get it.

Last edited:
And normally this would be my segue to Semicolon but its just too early in the AAR. Either way, I locked him in the basement and I don’t think he’s coming out for a while.
I think you need to play Austria for that.

the song’s a joke but what can you do?
But the singer is a sort of national treasure. Look at his day job and the whole taking Cricket to Iceland thing :cool:

As for what they want? Well, they want to annex me and I’m not really into it.
I guess you're just not ready to commit?

PrawnStar:
PrawnStar said:
I guess you’re just not ready to commit?

Nonsense. I can commit to a lot of things. Liquor, poker and girls who wear miniskirts in December.

Enewald: I wish I could fly.

aldriq: Ah, so I have an excuse! I didn’t use the tutorial or read the manual. Although in my five year practice run I was able to prestige hit Tunisia followed by annexing Morocco. Guess the Dutch have had a change of heart since the last game.

While writing these updates I have to keep reminding myself that this forum wants to be family friendly. It gets hard sometimes... ... ... Hm, I was expecting Semicolon to make a comment about something she said but I guess he’s still in the basement. I hope he’s alright. Maybe I should’ve thrown some food down the laundry chute.

2r6jkep.jpg

As I began to

nwfxno.jpg

in the sand, the Dutch decided to cross it. The rolls went poorly and I’d have to wait for my reinforcements to arrive. However I was able to demolish a rising 3k Dutch group in Ghent.

mtxw92.jpg

Then... even more fun followed with Spain, Portugal and Luxembourg all coming to aid the Netherlands.

13zu5bl.jpg

Yes, Luxembourg. But at least the UK was around to safely blockade the Netherlands while my ships maneuvered around Europe - luckily enough I was north of Iberia by this point - and I safely reached home.

I lost another province in Antwerp but was able to steal away Maastricht. This occupation permitted me to group all my troops together when the Netherlands decided to besiege my capital. Perfect! A nice plain province with no mountains and I had superiority. Its all my troops v. all of the Netherlands’ in Europe.

2cg9di.jpg

After the win I followed them a few times until I was able to wipe the Netherlands Army from the map in late August.

Mid September I wiped the Luxembourg army - again - and thought about the war. With the UK blockading in the north and chances of the Netherlands DoWing me later on, I decided against annexing Morocco and thought about taking a chunk out of my friendly neighbors.

k2o4yr.jpg

Over the course of the rest of the remaining months I was able to recover Ghent, occupy Luxembourg and get an overview of the war on the first of the year.

2cnjq5d.jpg

26 January I reoccupied Antwerp and had nothing standing in my way. One day later I added a new wargoal: Acquire Gelderland. I hear it’s a place where leprechauns dance for loose change so its definitely on my bucket list.

And 1 February I found I had enough cash that I could start repaying my 5k debt. Six days later the UK accepted Spain’s peace deal. I guess being blockaded on all sides while two of her allies were being run over was enough to bring the alliance to its knees.

210ghl4.jpg

Two months later I declared war on Morocco anyway. My objective was to take two states. But Spain declared war three days after my initial declaration, their war goal featuring my second war goal choice.

Then on 6 August I occupied Casablanca. At that point I kept checking the peace score after every occupation. Once Ingrid Bergman left me on that ****ed plane, there was really no reason for me to remain until Amina al Alam showed up some decades later.

51q9lx.jpg

FYI for newcomers, if you didn’t see something from Casablanca coming from a mile away, you’re going to have problems keeping up with this AAR. ;)

By March Spain wasn’t doing anything so I went ahead, adding Taza as another war goal. In August UK added the Netherlands to their Sphere of Influence which means if I want to war later on, its going to be tough. But I’ll have to burn off BB for a while anyway so I wasn’t really concerned about it.

On 2 December I occupied the Moroccan capital and on the third they finally agreed to peace. They’d give me what I wanted. And one day after that, Spain and Morocco agreed to a white peace. It seems as though the AI has a tough time landing sometimes.... and that great powers never intervene in wars they should.

292xz44.jpg