• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

LordofSaxony

a Relic
63 Badges
Apr 1, 2009
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Rome Gold
  • Sengoku
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • 500k Club
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • BATTLETECH
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Prison Architect
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Victoria 2
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
This is probably a very under looked aspect concerning games and their creation, yet it's something that we look at the whole time we're playing, so it's a pretty important aspect. What type of "feeling" would you want the GUI (buttons, frames, etc) to be? Would you want it to be dark and forbidding? Classical in style? Would you want a color scheme to make you feel like your in that time period? If so, what colors would best represent that?

I like it as "medieval" as possible, with pictures for events from actual paintings of the period perhaps. Also popups, events etc. should be written with feather on a nice animal skin. :D
Worst that coudl happen is a modern and polished look. I think CK1 modding has done some nice things in this section.

I second the "midieval" look, I hope the colors are darker, not like the light Vicky 2 colors.

CK had everyone you needed to know in one place, the best interface in terms of appearence and how its presented on any Paradox game, i really hope they keep it.

and a gothicy look to the boxes frames would be well fitting

My only real complaint about the original CK's interface is how big it is. It eats up an inordinant amount of space on the screen. Of course, interfaces that are too small kind of make me nuts, too. I can't play Victoria II on my monitor's native resolution because it strains my eyes, believe it or not.

UI needs to be scaleable for all supported resolutions. It's quite annoying when you have a monitor which supports 1920x1200 resolution, when UI is designed only for meager 1024x768 resolution and in screens (like research, production etc.) 50% of the space is not used at all.

Double Facepalm for Paradox:

DoubleFacePalm.jpg

It shouldn't be very big, but it also shouldn't be too small. It shouldn't be cluttered, but it also shouldn't feel spartan. I want it to be sleek and clean, but also medieval in design. And it should be forward thinking, but still traditional. Can you make it like that miracle workers?

Last edited:
Don't worry, whatever feeling the game GUI will offer, it will be moddable (at least I hope), so you can adjust it to your liking :)

The only wish I would have for the interface is the following; Please, for old times' sake, don't switch the province building screen to 3D. Please. I don't know a single person here who would say that the 3D province screens of EU3 and Rome are prettier than that of the original CK, or EU2. Or, if the old 2D pic is too out of place, just give us a building list to choose from.

must confess. in medieval total war the music was so authentic! even if i played it only one day, heh. Its dark, intence, and give that medival feeling at full! so copy if have to, those basses and gong bells i dont know... gregorian choirs cames to mind.

and gui have to be with all those swings and stamps like it was, maybe more active on hover. And btw there surely have to be much more executes burnings and hangings! everywhere:) and plague, corps, sceletons ! and Bruegel Bosch kinda illustrations everywhere! :)