+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 48 of 48

Thread: The GUI (Game User Interface)

  1. #41
    Patron Saint, Lost Epic Causes .Spartan's Avatar
    200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings II
    Commander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultDiplomacyEast India Company CollectionElven Legacy Collection
    Europa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLead and Gold
    The Kings CrusadeLost Empire - ImmortalsMagickaMajesty 2EU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Penumbra - Black PlagueVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSengoku
    Ship Simulator ExtremesSword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Rome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    752
    Quote Originally Posted by Alojzy View Post
    I'd like to see sea monsters at the nautical edges of the map.

    Please?
    That would be nice if the entire map's imagery was complementary to it.
    The most difficult pain a man can suffer is to have knowledge of much and power over little - Herodotus

  2. #42
    ВИТЕЗ СА ШТИТОМ WanderingKnight's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEast India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: Chronicles
    EU3 CompleteRome GoldSengokuVictoria 2500k club

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Far Away
    Posts
    327
    Quote Originally Posted by sjones25 View Post
    But seriously, I don't see any reason to radically change the design from CK1. The GUI was simple and self-explanatory. They'll probably need to add and/or remove a few parts and maybe update it a bit to look nicer, but other than that I think that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

    ...
    I second this.

    And for what to add, THIS:

    Quote Originally Posted by The Andy-Man
    Personally, I would love to see a UI based on the religeon and culture of your Dynasty. So a Greek Orthodox would have some decendant Byzantine iconographic elements, where as an Italian Catholic could have something very Dante, and so on. It might not be so easy to do though.

    But certainly there should be some art from the age.
    And maybe a bit darker colors.

    I like the games that are done with so many details, in which department PI is very good so far.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by LordofSaxony View Post
    This is probably a very under looked aspect concerning games and their creation, yet it's something that we look at the whole time we're playing, so it's a pretty important aspect. What type of "feeling" would you want the GUI (buttons, frames, etc) to be? Would you want it to be dark and forbidding? Classical in style? Would you want a color scheme to make you feel like your in that time period? If so, what colors would best represent that?
    Agree, GUI and visually created feel is important (especially in RPGs). Because it may be considered as advertising other developer's game in Paradox's forum I won't mention any names, but I quite like the visual appearance of the game which screenshot collage is shown below... a pleasant color scheme, art style, polished details (the 'Slavic style' of decorative elements is appropriate in this context as the game covers mainly Eastern Europe). Fortunately, as much as revealed so far, it seems that "Crusader Kings II" is going to be rather similar in style.

    (By the way, there's almost no doubt that the developer of a pictured game has been inspired by "Crusader Kings" and "Knights of Honor".)



    There is a theory which states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
    ~Douglas Adams~

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by vadermath View Post
    The only wish I would have for the interface is the following; Please, for old times' sake, don't switch the province building screen to 3D. Please. I don't know a single person here who would say that the 3D province screens of EU3 and Rome are prettier than that of the original CK, or EU2. Or, if the old 2D pic is too out of place, just give us a building list to choose from.
    This.

    Other than that, as long as the GUI elements and layout are easy to navigate, I don't have any preferences for the artwork as long as it's moddable.

  5. #45
    a Relic LordofSaxony's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneRome GoldSengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    On the other side of reality.
    Posts
    852
    Quote Originally Posted by Helvetesguten View Post
    This.

    Other than that, as long as the GUI elements and layout are easy to navigate, I don't have any preferences for the artwork as long as it's moddable.
    I'd rather have an artistic 2D city/castle view as well. Something that matches the artistic stylings of the portraits.

  6. #46
    Modding Paladin RedRooster81's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Heir to the ThroneRome GoldMount & Blade: Warband500k club

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The Castle of Aaaggggggh
    Posts
    5,646
    Quote Originally Posted by LordofSaxony View Post
    I'd rather have an artistic 2D city/castle view as well. Something that matches the artistic stylings of the portraits.
    +1 I think that the 3D city views in Rome in particular were stark and unattractive. I like the old CK view, but maybe with a little more variety (depending on terrain or region). The EU2 views were very nice, too, as I remember. My fantasy for a western European landlocked province would be something like this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Le....jpg#filelinks that would slowly fill out as you get advancements.

  7. #47
    a Relic LordofSaxony's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneRome GoldSengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    On the other side of reality.
    Posts
    852
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRooster81 View Post
    +1 I think that the 3D city views in Rome in particular were stark and unattractive. I like the old CK view, but maybe with a little more variety (depending on terrain or region). The EU2 views were very nice, too, as I remember. My fantasy for a western European landlocked province would be something like this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Le....jpg#filelinks that would slowly fill out as you get advancements.
    I agree, something like that would be great. It's artistic, and stylish.. and blends with the rest of the graphics. They could have 2-3 versions of each type of building so it has more of a mix-match type of variety to it, so each city doesn't look like a carbon copy of each other (if they have the same buildings). They could just do it with layered and transparent pictures.

  8. #48
    Major
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Semper FiVictoria 2Pride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Antwerpen ,Belgium
    Posts
    614
    Quote Originally Posted by Count of Reval View Post
    Agree, GUI and visually created feel is important (especially in RPGs). Because it may be considered as advertising other developer's game in Paradox's forum I won't mention any names, but I quite like the visual appearance of the game which screenshot collage is shown below... a pleasant color scheme, art style, polished details (the 'Slavic style' of decorative elements is appropriate in this context as the game covers mainly Eastern Europe). Fortunately, as much as revealed so far, it seems that "Crusader Kings II" is going to be rather similar in style.

    (By the way, there's almost no doubt that the developer of a pictured game has been inspired by "Crusader Kings" and "Knights of Honor".)



    what game is this? It looks really cool
    Just because everyone is capable of having an opinion doesn't mean that nobody is full of shit.

    The lack of Belgian patriotism is easily demonstrated by this: there is 1 somewhat succesfull (AKA it's sometimes heard on radios) pro-belgium song and it's sung and written by a dutch man (not an immigrant either, someone who still lives in the Netherlands)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts