+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to build a great army?

Achtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyDarkest HourEU3 CompleteHearts of Iron III
    Hearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourVictoria: RevolutionsSupreme Ruler 2020 Gold

How to build a great army?

I'm kind of new to Victoria so I'm just interested in all the simple steps that must be done to build the largest potential army of your country.

High military spending is necessary to recruit soldiers, I got that. As Greece however I never got the opportunity to mobilize, not even when I was at war. Don't now why.

And a very high military spending did not give me the expected results either. In Victoria 1 one could just directly convert farmers (I think) to soldiers, in addition to mobilizing. I haven't seen anything like that in Victoria 2. So, since I just want to crush the Ottoman Empire as Greece (the post war economic consequences aside), and only were able to muster some 20 - 30 000 soldiers I was the one getting crushed you see

Increasing your military spending won't get you more soldiers...well, you'll get more soldiers but they'll all promote to officers because of the enormous amounts of money you give them. Keep the military slider at 50-60% for best results. Decrease it if you see that your officer pool increases above 0.20% (can be seen when hovering your mouse over the "leadership" pool). Mobilization depends on how many of your poor strata you can mobilize, it's increased with technologies and reduced with liberal ideaologies. You can mobilize right under the "build army" button.

200k clubCrusader Kings IIFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Semper FiSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    V2 BetaV2 AHD Beta500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaEUIV: Art of War

Blog Entries
    What he said.

Plus ... diplomacy.

Also, luck helps. Don't forget about luck.
    I'm a 19th century man inflicting himself upon a 21st century world.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Unbelievers always want other people to act like Christians." - Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Perfected by the sixteen men of Tain.
    "If it is disagreeable in your sight to serve the LORD, choose for yourselves today whom you will serve: whether the gods which your fathers served which were beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you are living; but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD." -- Joshua 24:15

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteVictoria 2500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

test

this is a test ...im testing if i can post because i was having issues
    Dacia is my mother and the name of my car.

Sergeant
    Achtung PanzerEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesGettysburgHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    King Arthur IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness

Any other strategies for making a large army in Victoria 2?

A Game of DwarvesCrusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteMagickaThe Showdown Effect
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

get the techs that lower casulty rate. Increase population growth and conquer high populated area's.
    Since Soldier is always a demotion it's easier to get those from new territory.
    So Soldier is the lowest class on the population ladder.
    Tax the poor to oblivion helps to encourage a live as a soldier and counter's promotion to officer's.

Arsenal of DemocracyEU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIIron CrossVictoria 2

can also use national focus as well as what everyone else said. I use national focus on my most populous states for at least a year and a half to 2 years before a war. Atleast if playing a small country.
    he who neglects the possible in quest of the impossible is a fool - Carl von clausewitz on war

Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Easy1 View Post
    I'm kind of new to Victoria so I'm just interested in all the simple steps that must be done to build the largest potential army of your country.

High military spending is necessary to recruit soldiers, I got that. As Greece however I never got the opportunity to mobilize, not even when I was at war. Don't now why.

And a very high military spending did not give me the expected results either. In Victoria 1 one could just directly convert farmers (I think) to soldiers, in addition to mobilizing. I haven't seen anything like that in Victoria 2. So, since I just want to crush the Ottoman Empire as Greece (the post war economic consequences aside), and only were able to muster some 20 - 30 000 soldiers I was the one getting crushed you see
    Greece is annoying to play, UK is worth s*** as ally. Even worse if Ottomans ally with NGF.

Without big population you simply won´t have a big army.

+ Reply to Thread