• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I said dalmatic does not exist, so areas in the romanian areas , need to be dicussed on what they should be, be it thracian or dacian or getae or paeonian

as for kosovo , I am reading currently the book on illyrains and it does state they where very different from illyrian, greek, macedonian ( I am refferring to the roman-illyrians wars after Hannibals wars.
As for celts , they should be in serbia and north from there, looping around illyrian lands , through modern austria , including lombardia and swiss lands

This is for discussion.

paeonia was north of macedonia (vanilla map)and west of thrace ..........bascially where slav macedonia nation is now

I don't think the Celts are appropriate for this time period. As far as culture breakup, here is what I implemented:

ILLYRIAN
Odenburg
Serbia
Ragusa
Kosovo
Bosnia
Dalmatia
Croatia
Krain
Istria
Steiermark

DACO-ROMAN (from the wikipedia pages in English and Romanian, it seems as though Daco-Roman/Thraco-Roman can be used interchangeably to describe the romanized Dacians and Thracians)
Bujak
Dobrudja
Rumelia
Wallachia
Bulgaria

I wasn't sure how far inland to spread Daco-Roman. Would it be appropriate for Banat/Transylvania/Moldova?

Although Romanian nationalists would tell you otherwise, the best evidence doesn't have the Vlachs/Daco-Romans moving north of the Danube until the 12th century.

what about the province of Thrace ?

yea, most likely hellenic

probably same as western asia minor

Although Romanian nationalists would tell you otherwise, the best evidence doesn't have the Vlachs/Daco-Romans moving north of the Danube until the 12th century.

Who would you suggest for those provinces then? As I currently described, I have a mix of Daco-Roman (representing romanized Dacian/Thracian populations) and East Germanic. Someone has to be there. :D

edit: The only other thing that could be done is give some of those provinces to simply Dacian, representing the native Dacians that had remained beyond the Roman grasp even before 271.

Just reading a new study that came out on the migrations period - "Empires and Barbarians" by Peter Heather. A lot of useful info on this period, but makes clear the difficulties in simulating it - the break up and formation of new groups, migration, fluid cultural identity.

After 238, Gothic power east of the Carpathians began to rapidly grow at the expense of the Carpi and other Dacian groups. By 300 Dacian political independence was totally broken and - according to the ancient sources - hundreds of thousands were resettled within the empire.

The only problem with making the whole area North of the Black Sea "Gothic" culture before the Hunnic invasions is that there were other Germanic groups that migrated to the area - Gepids, Heruli, Taifali, etc. - and earlier populations of Sarmatians and probably some Dacians that were partially assimilated. But maybe this doesn't really matter? Archeologists refer to the broader cultural area as "Cernjachov".

If it's just gonna be "East Germanic", maybe could leave Transylvania Dacian; and parts of the Middle Danube and one or two provinces North of the Caucasus remain Sarmatian.

I get where this is going. Talking with some archaeologists is being nationalist? Daco-Romans "moving"??? Every archaeologist will tell you they never migrated as a people, and vlachs, if you go deep with etymology is just the name that some "foreigners" gave to the daco-romans living there (word of german origin). Transylvania Dacian? What is that? I'm reading Getica - A Proto-History of Dacia by Vasile Parvan, established archaeologist and historian. We're not talking about who was the "best" in this time. We're talking about who lived there, and who ruled.

If the first invasions of the free Dacians are in 117, they still occur, however, many times, in alliances with other tribes, to 381, so 254 years time - we really can not say the free Dacians loved Empire Roman, even if it was admired.
Mihai Andrei-Aldea

Costobocii, Carps and other northern tribes trace their continued incursions into the Roman provinces during the century. II-III, and carpo-Dacians are listed in alliance with the Huns (Zosimus, IV 34). - fate is unknown specific "free Dacians" after sec. IV is very likely that many of them have entered the "former province Dacia after its evacuation by the Romans and Dacians were mixed with helping to strengthen the strong nucleus" getic left of the Lower Danube.

In the late period of ancient Thracians Dacians free and others in the Northeast appear to have been absorbed into the Sarmatian tribes, Germanic, and Slavic Middle Ages, but - as said - some of them (by Cri, Maramures Moldova) remained loyal to the Carpathians of Dacia, mixed with getodaco-Romans left behind and the official Roman army in 271 / 2 - which would help facilitate the work of explaining the "tracismului" much more pronounced in the northern Romanian dialect (so-called Daco-Romanian) in the lexicon, from the southern dialects of the Balkan Peninsula and to understand the phenomenon of "Romanization" (or "Romanization, " Expansion of Romanism, the Romanian speaking element) in the territories to the north, west and temporal boundaries east of the province of Dacia Traiana.

used google translate unfortunately...

Last edited:
Just reading a new study that came out on the migrations period - "Empires and Barbarians" by Peter Heather. A lot of useful info on this period, but makes clear the difficulties in simulating it - the break up and formation of new groups, migration, fluid cultural identity.

Yeah, I actually just got that for Christmas. :)

If it's just gonna be "East Germanic", maybe could leave Transylvania Dacian; and parts of the Middle Danube and one or two provinces North of the Caucasus remain Sarmatian.

Alright, that might be a useful solution.

They weren't called Ostrogoths until they had already moved onto Roman soil - and both Visigoths and Ostrogoths had their origins in the East Germanic populations that lived north and west of the Black Sea.

Also, there should be some "Alan" cultural provinces around Volgograd and Donetsk (maybe the dominant population group around the northern Caspian until the Huns move in mid-century?).

Last edited:
0.3a is now available in the first post of thread. Change log also viewable there.

downloaded it, works except missing some flags and COA for burgundii and many others
Where can I go to download these?

They don't exist yet, which is why most nations aren't in the selectable tag list.:p

np

not knowing a great deal on the early period of your time span, bu I thought the lombards originalated around the nothern Hungarian , czech area prior to the slavs arriving.
Basically east of the avars

Hey, this mod looks really interesting but the religious tolerance sliders seem kind of broken for certain religions, like med pagan and tengri, they only have one slider and it's stuck in the middle.