+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Victoria 2 Savegame Editor/Analyzer

68 games registered

200k clubDiplomacyEast India Company CollectionElven Legacy CollectionEuropa Universalis 3
    Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryFor the Motherland
    Galactic AssaultHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneImpire
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossKing Arthur IILead and GoldThe Kings Crusade
    Lost Empire - ImmortalsMagickaMajesty 2Majesty II CollectionMarch of the Eagles
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionNaval War: Arctic CirclePenumbra - Black PlaguePirates of Black CoveVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper FiSengokuShip Simulator Extremes
    Sword of the StarsSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler: Cold WarSupreme Ruler 2020
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesHoi 2 Beta500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Blog Entries

Victoria 2 Savegame Editor/Analyzer (ver. 0.0.8)

Victoria 2 Savegame Editor/Analyzer Project

The Goal:

The goal of this project is two-fold: to develop a user-friendly graphical user interface to edit just about what ever you'd want to within a savegame without opening any text editor and also provide convenient table layouts to display all the information you'd ever want to see about your savegame.

Current Progress:

What's Currently Editable?
    1. Leaders (Create, Delete or Modify Leaders)
    2. Badboy
    3. Plurality
    4. Revanchism
    5. Diplomatic Points
    6. Prestige
    7. Total Funds (Money)
    8. Leadership Points

What Information is Currently Displayed?
    1. Country Overview (For each country)
      1. Flag icon
      2. Tag
      3. Name
      4. Government
      5. Ruling Party
      6. Badboy
      7. Plurality
      8. Revanchism
      9. Diplomatic Points
      10. School
      11. Primary Culture
      12. Prestige
      13. Population (New)
      14. # States (New)
      15. # Controlled Provinces
      16. # Owned Provinces
      17. # Core Provinces
      18. Total Funds (Money)
      19. National Bank Total Funds
      20. Total Money Lent by National Bank
      21. Tariffs Slider setting
      22. Tax Base Calculations (Total, Poor, Middle, Rich)
      23. Daily Balance (+/- Money)
      24. Total Income (Taxes, Gold)
      25. Tax Slider Settings (Poor, Middle, Rich)
      26. Tax Revenues By Class (Poor, Middle, Rich)
      27. Tax Revenues By Pop (Craftsmen, Clergy, Capitalists, etc...)
      28. Gold Income
      29. Total Expenses (Military Maintenance, Education, Administration, etc..)
      30. Subsidies (Total amount spent)
      31. National Stockpile (Total amount spent)
      32. Education slider setting & total amount spent
      33. Administration slider setting & total amount spent
      34. Social Spending slider setting & total amount spent
      35. Military slider setting & total amount spent
      36. Civilized flag
      37. National Value
      38. Technology currently being researched
      39. Total # of techs researched
      40. Total # of inventions acquired
      41. Leadership Points
      42. Total # of brigades
      43. Total # of military units by type (Irregulars, Infantry, Cavalry, etc...)
      44. Total # of ships
      45. Total # of ships by type (Ironclad, Frigate, Steamer Transport, etc...)
      46. Total # of generals
      47. Total # of admirals
    2. Leaders (Per country)
      1. ID
      2. Name
      3. Portrait
      4. Traits (Personality & Background)
      5. Trait Modifiers (Attack, Defense, etc... based on traits)
    3. Provinces (Per Country/State)
      1. ID
      2. Name
      3. State
      4. Continent
      5. Controller
      6. Owner
      7. Population (New)
      8. Population By Each Pop Type (New)
      9. Life Rating
      10. Colonial
      11. Owner
      12. Nationalism
      13. Infrastructure
      14. Resource
    4. States (Per Country) (New)
      1. Name (New)
      2. Country (New)
      3. Owned Provinces (New)
      4. Total Provinces (New)
      5. % State Owned (New)
      6. Savings (New)
      7. Interest (New)
      8. Colonial (New)
      9. Slave State (New)
      10. Population (New)
      11. Population By Each Pop Type (New)
    5. Pops (Per Country/State/Province) (New)
      1. Type (New)
      2. Country (New)
      3. Province (New)
      4. State (New)
      5. Culture (New)
      6. Religion (New)
      7. Population (New)
      8. Class (New)
      9. Money (New)
      10. Life Needs/Everyday Needs/Luxury Needs (New)
      11. Literacy (New)
      12. Con (New)
      13. Mil (New)
      14. Converted/Promoted/Demoted (New)
      15. Colonial Migration/Local Migration/External Migration (New)

Please visit this tool's official home page for link to download latest version, reporting a bug, submitting comments and more.
    http://www.webatrocity.com/v2/sea

Screenshots:
    Attached Images
    Last edited by TheDarkside; 22-11-2010 at 05:40.

68 games registered

200k clubDiplomacyEast India Company CollectionElven Legacy CollectionEuropa Universalis 3
    Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryFor the Motherland
    Galactic AssaultHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneImpire
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossKing Arthur IILead and GoldThe Kings Crusade
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionNaval War: Arctic CirclePenumbra - Black PlaguePirates of Black CoveVictoria: Revolutions
    Sword of the StarsSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler: Cold WarSupreme Ruler 2020
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesHoi 2 Beta500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    Troubleshooting / FAQ

The program does not run

First, make sure you unzipped/installed into the same folder the .exe and all it's dependent files together. There should be an exe.config file and two DevIL .dll files.

If you are using a newer Windows (Vista/7) try to use a "safe" folder because some places like Program Files have many security restrictions preventing programs from accessing files. You can also try to use "Run as Adminsitrator" to explicitly grant the program rights to access files (right-click on the exe it should be an option)

Next, make sure you have the right version of .NET installed. You need to have .NET 3.5 on your machine (even if you already have the more up-to-date .NET 4) - available from the following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Where are my Victoria 2 save games?

If you cannot find them in the save games folder where the game was installed then you are probably on Vista/Windows 7 and the files have been moved to a "safe" location due to security restrictions mentioned above.

Here are several options:

1. Try this folder:
    C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)
    or a folder under C:\Documents and Settings\<your user name> look for "Games" or "Paradox" folder names and Victoria 2 might be there

2. Tip posted by sagji:

Quote Originally Posted by sagji View Post
    Go to where you installed the game.
    Press the compatibility files button. This takes you to where the game actually saves to.
    Now go into the "save games" folder.
    3. Run a search on your hard drive for *.v2 files

Reporting Problems

Feel free to post here or PM me to report problems using the application. I would appreciate it if you supplied me with your Windows version & if it's 32-bit or 64-bit, .NET framework version and any error messages that are being displayed. The key most helpful thing you can provide is the "V2SavegameEditor.log" which gets created every time the program runs. This will contain details that will help me debug what is happening.

It should be located in the same folder that the program was run from unless you have some stricter permissions, then it may be under some weird Documents and Settings subfolder - use search to find it.

Request features

Please feel free to request any feature you think would make this tool better. Don't matter how trivial or daunting the task may seem to you, at least put it on the table so I can think about it.

Of particular interest are tools to help analyze savegame data which is tedious to do against a raw savegame file, for example one thing that may be cool is a feature to easily check the flags in a game- see which countries have any particular flag at a glance.

Another idea is to have pop breakdowns on cash reserves to see how the money in a country and the game in general is divied up - something I cant seem to find any interface for in the game itself. For example, what is the total cash reserves of all pops in a country, and of that what % belongs to craftsman? What % belongs to pops in colonial provinces? A way to quickly check on stats such as that I think would be valuable and if you have any suggestions along those lines as well I would love to hear them

Help Wanted

Since I dont actually play the game as much as I'd like I have very limited save games which will result in things that could be part of the savegame file that I am never aware of- so it may give you validation errors (like unknown elements) when you load your savegames. If you come across such a situation PLEASE let me know and send me that savegame!

And, if you have any particularly advanced savegame like if you made it to the 1900s PLEASE send me a sample so I can see what other problems might be lurking that I am not currently aware of. PM me if interested in helping out with that.
    Last edited by TheDarkside; 06-09-2010 at 22:53.

68 games registered

Blog Entries
    I have a new version to release today labelled 0.0.0.4

- fixed Close File operation
    - added Show/Hide Columns under View in the menu bar allowing you do choose what columns to display in the table. This will be more useful once I save your column settings to config file and once I add the export feature since it will be based on what is visible.
    -Added a bunch of military stats: instead of just #brigades & #ships there is a # for each unit type (infantry, planes, steamer transports, etc..) which is something you cant get from the in-game ledger; and a count of generals and admirals.

Lots more coming quickly down the pipe.

I am looking next to adding reforms stats and budget stats (i.e. see what slider settings every country has- something else the in-game ledger wont do)

Download from link in OP

Thanks!
    Last edited by TheDarkside; 28-08-2010 at 02:53.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    SengokuVictoria 2Rome: Vae Victis500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

wow nice idea... i'm actually quite capable of editing my eu3 saves... 2 days ago i tried with vic2 and got crazy...

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultLead and GoldMagickaMajesty II Collection
    Sword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

Wow, I love this idea :P I've never edited a save file, but this would just be awesome. I'd test it as much as I can.

Sword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

I opened up a save game just to see how it looked... Quite the view :P

Initial thoughts: It's cool to view what's going on with all the other nations. I didn't realise how far behind in resrearch i was, or that GB has 126 brigades of guards lol

Thoughts after a few min: At this point, I don't see a way to edit things. Not a big deal, as it's not the easiest thing to code

Feature request: Can you make the tag and name colums stick? As in, their always visible on the left side no matter how far over scrolled you are? It sucks having to scroll back all the way to the left to see what country I'm viewing.

68 games registered

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by deedasmi View Post
    I opened up a save game just to see how it looked... Quite the view :P

Initial thoughts: It's cool to view what's going on with all the other nations. I didn't realise how far behind in resrearch i was, or that GB has 126 brigades of guards lol

Thoughts after a few min: At this point, I don't see a way to edit things. Not a big deal, as it's not the easiest thing to code

Feature request: Can you make the tag and name colums stick? As in, their always visible on the left side no matter how far over scrolled you are? It sucks having to scroll back all the way to the left to see what country I'm viewing.
    Yes, ability to edit is not built in yet - but I am using a parsing engine I have used for many different tools now which can edit so the only thing holding me back is implementing the UI for editing. I will probably go with in-place editing controls so you edit right on the table. For example you want to edit badboy you just double click the cell in the table and it turns into a text box you can edit the value.

Yeah good point about making those columns stick - sort of like Freeze Panel in Excel. I thought the same thing as I scrolled across the tables and wished I didn't have to scroll all the way back and following my row to see the country. I will look into some ways to code that in.

Thanks for your input!

Your probably going to have to manually designate what things are editable. Things like number of techs shouldn't be editable, unless you plan on opening up another form with a bunch of selection boxes. On for researched, off for not-researched (which would be really cool :P). Even then, your going to have to designate which are numericly editable. You probably already thought of all this, I just like tinkering in programming, so I get lots of thoughts lol

68 games registered

Blog Entries
    Your probably going to have to manually designate what things are editable. Things like number of techs shouldn't be editable, unless you plan on opening up another form with a bunch of selection boxes. On for researched, off for not-researched (which would be really cool :P). Even then, your going to have to designate which are numericly editable. You probably already thought of all this, I just like tinkering in programming, so I get lots of thoughts lol
    No, that's cool I appreciate all the help anyone can offer.

What I was planning is that yes some things just wouldn't be editable like the aggregates like # of techs. Instead, what I want to do is have a separate table for details which cannot be easily aggregated to the main table. So for this example with techs, there will be a table where each tech in the game is listed in rows going down the left, and then along the columns is each country (by tag or maybe even flag icon to save horizontal space) and at each intersection will be a checkbox to indicate that country has it or not.

Its just a preliminary idea right now but let me know how that sounds to you.

Also similarly would be a diplomacy matrix where along the left and top and the countries lsited out, and at each intersection is their relations (or nothing or N/A if the intersection is from the same country)

I think the tech would be more user friendly if you could select which nation you want, and the main part of the window turned into the in-game tech tree, and you can click on it to enable/disable techs. If you wanted.

This would be a little bit harder, as you'd have to check individual techs instead of populating a table. This would be for people that don't have the tech tree memorized, and I don't know how the engine would react to having upper techs enabled while lower techs are still disabled, as might happen with a simple matrix.

Can't think of a better way to do diplomancy though. A matrix would probably work best. And only one side would need a filter so that you could find which countries diplomancy you were looking for.

I skimmed through the saved file looking for inventions. I found an "active" "possible" and "illegal" inventions. You could make this into a simple listbox with 2 tabs, possible and active. You can remove the active, or enable the possible. Illegal is unnesecary, as they would have to enable the techs before the invention becomes possible. This also means that when you enable techs, you need to move the illegal inventions numbers to the possible inventions section, or they would have to run the game in between setting techs and inventions.

This could also be one of your first supported "mods". Tech mods that add inventions. When the mod is selected, the extra invention numbers moved to possible when the tech is enabled.
    Last edited by deedasmi; 23-08-2010 at 04:01.

68 games registered

Blog Entries
    I think the tech would be more user friendly if you could select which nation you want, and the main part of the window turned into the in-game tech tree, and you can click on it to enable/disable techs. If you wanted.

This would be a little bit harder, as you'd have to check individual techs instead of populating a table. This would be for people that don't have the tech tree memorized, and I don't know how the engine would react to having upper techs enabled while lower techs are still disabled, as might happen with a simple matrix.
    Yeah that definitely sounds better than what I planned, the good thing about the matrix I am imagining is you can edit techs across multiple countries very easily - but yeah it would be hard to visualize what techs are required by what and I'd need to put in validations and prompts to guide the user - but it would be good for an advanced user.

I would definitely like to eventually have a screen like what you describe for editing a single country's techs. It wouldnt be hard to make.

Can't think of a better way to do diplomancy though. A matrix would probably work best. And only one side would need a filter so that you could find which countries diplomancy you were looking for.
    Yeah I dont think anything can beat a matrix for this too.

I skimmed through the saved file looking for inventions. I found an "active" "possible" and "illegal" inventions. You could make this into a simple listbox with 2 tabs, possible and active. You can remove the active, or enable the possible. Illegal is unnesecary, as they would have to enable the techs before the invention becomes possible. This also means that when you enable techs, you need to move the illegal inventions numbers to the possible inventions section, or they would have to run the game in between setting techs and inventions.

This could also be one of your first supported "mods". Tech mods that add inventions. When the mod is selected, the extra invention numbers moved to possible when the tech is enabled.
    Yeah when I was parsing that particular data it took me a bit to realize how those lists worked, for active, possible and illegal. So I am glad you confirmed my suspicion! I would definitely do what you describe as soon as I implement that part - those 3 lists would be updated to reflect what techs you enable/disable, and when I do a screen to check inventions on/off it will obey what inventions are even allowed by techs you have.

68 games registered

Blog Entries
    I just added a ton of budget related columns. Curious to compare tax percents, total incomes and incomes by pops across all the countries? It will be in next version.

Any idea where the gold income figure comes from? I'm guessing I need to actually calculate it based on precious metal producing provinces?

And how do I come up with the tax efficiency figure displayed in game? I show 24.99 in my game with parenthesis (5% from tech). Wonder how the base is figured - from static modifiers or something? I dont seem to find any indication in the save file itself unless I am missing it
    Last edited by TheDarkside; 23-08-2010 at 04:50.

I looked in the save file, LOT's of precious metal listings. Oddly enough, it listed then as tradable, with automated trade. This made me curious, and I booted up the game, and searched the trade screen. It's simply not there. This would lead me to believe that as a simple go around, gold is traded somewhere, where it generates cashflow, completly out of human or AI hands. It's hidden in the world market, and simply destoyed when the cash is added to the gold seller's bank. One thing I havn't looked into, does gold have a variable income in game?

My first game ever as Great Britain the gold events gave me 50-250 income per event. My first game as china I got ONE gold event and my income went to 450. Not sure how it's calculated.

I believe tax effeciancy is based on number of beuracrats, and tech. I'm not a very experianced player, I just remember see'ing it somewhere, one of the tutorials I think.

And on the admin slider bar, the note right above the bar lists tax efficiency, so logic would point me there.

I'd offer actuall help. But I've had the mind of a programmer for years, never really learned a language though : / I can do a bit of VB6, but that's it.

68 games registered

Blog Entries
    Quickly post about the update before forums go down for maintenance:

v0.0.0.5 has tons of new budget related columns:
    Daily Balance
    Total Income
    Total Expense
    Tax %'s for each bracket (poor, middle rich)
    Taxed amounts for each class (craftsmen, clerks, etc..)
    Gold income
    Industrial Subsidies
    Stockpile expenses
    Education, Administration, Military, Social %'s and total amounts
    National bank amount and money lent

Loaded my game with these new stats quickly showed me for example that China had a huge daily deficit yet it insists on investing like 90% into education and 80% into administration which costs extremely high

Download link in OP

I just dump all columns at once by default but I'll soon only display the "Overview" category of items on load and the rest of the columns will be hidden and you'll need to make them visible via the Show/Hide columns dialog.

I suggest using that dialog now to focus on particular areas to analyze such as Income, Expense or what not.

Hi could you please tell me how to refer to national bank in the modding code? I want to mod some events and decision regarding national bank, but not sure what's the code for it?

Thanks a lot in advance!

68 games registered

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NobleJms View Post
    Hi could you please tell me how to refer to national bank in the modding code? I want to mod some events and decision regarding national bank, but not sure what's the code for it?

Thanks a lot in advance!
    Greetings, NobleJms!

Unfortunately this is something I really dont know anything about. Taking a quick glance at the files OHGamer posted with V2's event effects/commands/scopes I dont seem to find anything directly related to national banks - just money.

Looking under decisions/events all I could find that may be of interest are the files decisions\Political.txt which has a few references to central banks decisions and in events\EconomicalEvents.txt which has references to private banks, business banks, bank inspection board

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkside View Post
    Greetings, NobleJms!

Unfortunately this is something I really dont know anything about. Taking a quick glance at the files OHGamer posted with V2's event effects/commands/scopes I dont seem to find anything directly related to national banks - just money.

Looking under decisions/events all I could find that may be of interest are the files decisions\Political.txt which has a few references to central banks decisions and in events\EconomicalEvents.txt which has references to private banks, business banks, bank inspection board

Yeah I've looked everywhere myself and all I found were some decisions that do not directly make a reference to "national bank". But still thanks a lot for your help

68 games registered

Blog Entries
    Here's a little teaser on what I am working on currently - it's taking some time because I'm developing a new table interface instead of using the one I used from my HoI3 tools.

Here's the leader dialog screen:

you can click the buttons for personality/background to take you to another screen that lists all the traits and what effects they provide.

the effects on this screen shot are the combination from the two traits the leader has.

you will be able to edit the leader's name or traits, add new leaders and remove existing ones (finally be able to remove those worthless leaders that clog up your list!)
    Attached Images

Zealot Crybaby Troll Jarkko Suvinen's Avatar
    200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEast India CompanyEuropa Universalis 3
    Galactic AssaultHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMagicka
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordV2 BetaPride of NationsRise of Prussia
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Thanks for this nice gem I for one am using this analyzer
    I prefer the term differently rational.

WT2 teams and players

Excellent tool. I do have few requests:
    - is it possible to show more pop information? Total pops, number of farmers/clerks/caps/etc and percentages?
    - is it possible to get total supply/demand or production of goods?
    - total rp generation per day?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast