+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Two cultures per character, please!

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: Chronicles
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Lead and GoldMagickaMajesty 2Penumbra - Black PlagueVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2Rome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Two cultures per character, please!

A simple requst that in CK2 all characters have two cultures, rather than just the one as in CK1. This would allow subtle cultural shifts to occur over time. For example in 1066 the nobles in England could start out as Franco-Norman, but over the generations of living in England can become Anglo-Norman.
    This would also work well for nobles ruling over crusader states. Southern French conquerors may start out as Franco-Occitan, but further generations might form a Franco-Arab culture as they gradually adopt local customs.
    Sola Virtus Invicta

Deus VultEU3 CompleteMount & Blade: Warband

This is one of the best ideas I've seen. Kudos .

Tsar of Australiarr HMAS-Nameless's Avatar
    HoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 Complete
    For The GloryHearts of Iron IIIIron CrossEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Mount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight500k club

handled well this could be the greatest feature yet!
    AARS

GOTT MIT UNS! Rise of the Black Eagle! [DEAD] (Prussia: Victoria 2)

MODS

SEXIICOLOURS 1.3! for Victoria II. Want a better more historic country colour scheme? Sick of Prussia being yellow? isn't Prussian Blue much better:P

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDarkest HourDeus Vult
    East India CompanyEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneThe Kings CrusadeMarch of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandV2 BetaV2 AHD Beta500k club

This seems to be along the lines of your ruling dynasty assimilating to the majority culture of their realm. As such, I think it could be good for modelling various aspects within the game, with a multitude of effects (likelihood of revolts, for example, perhaps?).

DONT TREAD ON ME Moderator TheLoneGunman's Avatar
    200k clubAchtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in Motion
    Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest HourDeus VultEast India Company
    East India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneIron Cross
    King Arthur IIThe Kings CrusadeMajesty 2Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiSengokuSword of the StarsSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    Pride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight500k club

How would you determine what cultures a child inherits from their parents if each parent has 2 cultures and the child can only have 2?

I think multiple cultures would be in order with an accompanying pie chart...
    "also most of paradox rise as a successful company can be attributed to the motivating powers of "Mr Nibbles", a vicious old platypus specimen Johan keep locked in a drawer. Whenever a programmer isn't working fast enough, or introduces a bug Mr Nibbles is let out of the box to give the perpetrator a nasty bite." - podcat

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMarch of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiSengokuSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler: Cold War
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    Pride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Probably something to do with the actual cultures of the parents and the culture of the province he was born in.

I'd imagine it would be something like that...
    Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    "Fascist: I am angry about something but find it difficult to articulate exactly what it is. " ~Developer Diary 13 – Upper House and Reform - Victoria 2~

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLost Empire - ImmortalsEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Rome GoldSengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Call to arms event

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoneGunman View Post
    How would you determine what cultures a child inherits from their parents if each parent has 2 cultures and the child can only have 2?

I think multiple cultures would be in order with an accompanying pie chart...
    the 2 parrents 2 main cultures would transfer to the kid?
    Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong. - Murphy's law

The Dream of Dumbarton Watch the rebirth of Strathclyde in my first AAR!

Best Character Writer of the Week: 3/2/13 Fan of the week: 1/6/13

"Fear not what will be, fear what has already come to pass"

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: Chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoneGunman View Post
    You could ask the same question of CK, where two parents can have different cultures, but the child can only have one. In CK the child is far more likely to inherit culture from the father than the mother, and is (I think) even less likely to get a culture from the province he rules. It could work the same way in CK2, but with two cultures present any shift in culture would be much less sudden than in CK1, where a child born to european parents can still inherit a wholly foreign culture.
    Sola Virtus Invicta

200k clubCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    For The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Rome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight
    500k club

Should there be events/decisions that shift culture??

Like if my king is frankish and his wife danish, thus the child becomes frankish-danish in culture (since his father's culture most likely take precedence), should this ever be able to change??

Could be cool if the boy at some point through events/decisions would change to danish-frankish, or maybe even to the arab culture of the province he rules.
    I love my copy of CK so much, I am thinking of marrying it

New Paradox games icons ... get some new cool game icons for your PI games. (of course now updated with CKII icon )

Tsar of Australiarr HMAS-Nameless's Avatar
    HoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 Complete
    For The GloryHearts of Iron IIIIron CrossEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Mount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight500k club

What about having a national culture and a hereditary culture. This is the most realistic way to portray shifts in cultures (i.e. from Franco-Normans to Anglo-Normans). The country culture tag takes it from the highest title or the highest title of the liege and the hereditary culture comes either from the mother or father (like ck2)

For Example:

the character William de Normandie before the invasion of England has the culture Franco-Norman. He invades England then has a new son. Lets say his name is Robert.
    Robert then has the culture Anglo-Norman having been born in the England having the country culture tag Anglo because his liege (being his father) is the King of England while he gets the hereditary culture of Norman from his father. Eventually after years an event or decision could unify the Anglo and Normans and make characters from there on have the culture of English. Say after so many progressive characters of the same culture (being Anglo-Norman in this example) a decision could become available uniting the English. If a country culture tag matches the same hereditary tag it cancels the country culture tag out of the characters culture. That is the most simple, effective and realistic way to do this.
    AARS

GOTT MIT UNS! Rise of the Black Eagle! [DEAD] (Prussia: Victoria 2)

MODS

SEXIICOLOURS 1.3! for Victoria II. Want a better more historic country colour scheme? Sick of Prussia being yellow? isn't Prussian Blue much better:P

Oooh, a Custom User Title? Gwyn ap Nud's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Mount & Blade: Warband500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Then you can also differentiate between the Sicilu-Normans, and the Anglo-Normans.
    I know I believe in nothing, but it is my nothing
    Cogito Ergo Sum

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis: Rome

That is all fine and dandy for nobles invading foreign lands and all that, but what about the rest? Dano-Danish, Germano-German, and Polish-Polish doesnt sound all that hot to me.
    Richard Dawkins - "We should be open minded, but no so open minded that our brain falls out."

Quote Originally Posted by Boblof View Post
    That is all fine and dandy for nobles invading foreign lands and all that, but what about the rest? Dano-Danish, Germano-German, and Polish-Polish doesnt sound all that hot to me.
    You're seriously suggesting that in the middle ages all of Germany was a monolithic "German" culture? Sure there was a "Germanic" culture, but it had distinct subcultures. There would be German-Flemish, or German-Dutch maybe. I don't believe for a second that Denmark and Poland have no regional subcultures, or cannot themselves be part of a larger macro-culture.
    Sola Virtus Invicta

Deus VultEU3 CompleteMount & Blade: Warband

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleidoscope View Post
    You're seriously suggesting that in the middle ages all of Germany was a monolithic "German" culture? Sure there was a "Germanic" culture, but it had distinct subcultures. There would be German-Flemish, or German-Dutch maybe. I don't believe for a second that Denmark and Poland have no regional subcultures, or cannot themselves be part of a larger macro-culture.
    Indeed. There's Saxons and Bavarians for starters. I'm not sure about Denmark or Poland, but I know this system would still work in Germany.

10+ Years on the Forum Demi Moderator SAS's Avatar
    83 games registered

200k clubHoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIDiplomacyFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourMarch of the EaglesRome Gold
    Semper FiSengokuCK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventWar of the VikingsMagicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
    Warlock 2: The ExiledEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

Blog Entries
    At first I did not like this idea, but the more I think and read about it, it is a great idea!
    - March of the Eagles mod: The Gods

- When I speak in Cyan its as a Demi-Moderator. Please review the following links: FAQ / Forum Rules / General Usage

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis: Rome

You're seriously suggesting that in the middle ages all of Germany was a monolithic "German" culture? Sure there was a "Germanic" culture, but it had distinct subcultures.
    I cannot see into the future, I don't know what cultures paradox will put in, german was one culture in CK1 that is why I used that as an example.

There would be German-Flemish, or German-Dutch maybe. I don't believe for a second that Denmark and Poland have no regional subcultures, or cannot themselves be part of a larger macro-culture.
    Even if you surely could have Dano-Jutish or something Danish is itself an ethnonym for a specific area, you would still have Dano-Danish, and Swedish-Swedish etc. Unless you make Scandinavian the first ethnonym in the name or something like that, then you would have Scando-Swedish and Scando-Danish.

I still think this is alot of mucking around with made up ethnonyms just to allow for something that was abstracted pretty well in the original CK and has no discernable effect on gameplay. It might increase immersion when playing Normans, but I would rather not play as a family of Scando-Geats or Russo-Novgorodians.
    Richard Dawkins - "We should be open minded, but no so open minded that our brain falls out."

It could have some interesting implications. The childs culture shouldn't be based upon birth though but where and by who he was raised. If he is sent away to a foreign court that is probably where he'd acquire a great deal of his cultural background.

If I'm an English duke and he is raised by his French mother in my French counties when I come for a visit I think I'll find my boy speaks French.

Financial Director tretii_sleva's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIHearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition

I don't know, one culture seems enough for me. Not liking the idea, I guess.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneSemper FiVictoria 2Mount & Blade: Warband

I like this idea. Almost all countries have several distinct cultures, so as long as Paradox properly implemented this, I don't think we'd be seeing too many "Dano-Danish" combinations, for example. More like "Jutish-Scanian."
    Recipient of the 6th ever Irish Shamrock Cookie and a birthday cookie! Thank you King_Richard_XI!

Sir dinofs of Gowin-Fártherr, Duke of Insanity, Lord of Tomfoolery, Spirit of Change, Upsetter of the Status Quo, Reverser of Historical Trends, Defeater of Ming, and All-Around Meddler.

Fan of the week, 1-08-2010!
    WRITAAR OF THE WEEK 23-05-2010!

Deus VultEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome

But then you're talking about different subcultures within a particular group, such as in EU3 there's an "Iberian" culture group that includes Castilian, Galician, Portuguese, etc. That's a completely different issue than having every character in the game have 2 cultures.

Not really liking this idea.
    Currently playing:
    EUIII (IN)
    CK (DV)
    EU:Rome

"The Assyrian program of exterminating various ethnic groups generally failed to promote cultural diversity."

"...we must also hope...that history will have compassion in judging our mistakes, and for that reason we must try not to judge too harshly the mistakes of the generation before us." Bill James

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast