• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What ahistorical imperial titles were in CK1? :confused:

Well if you used your imagination after getting 5 king titles you were (was this guarenteed or not, I forget) crowned emperor by the Pope. So if you were to say conquer all of Iberia you could be crowned Emperor of Hispania (really you just got the Emperor trait. That was more or less what I was getting at.) Also the tool tip for that trait said something like "Although the HRE was the only empire in Western Europe during this timeframe CK allows for alternative paths" or something along those lines.

Also post #100!!:D

Edit: Gah emu'd. My answer was more in depth though!

Well if you used your imagination after getting 5 king titles you were (was this guarenteed or not, I forget) crowned emperor by the Pope. So if you were to say conquer all of Iberia you could be crowned Emperor of Hispania (really you just got the Emperor trait. That was more or less what I was getting at.) Also the tool tip for that trait said something like "Although the HRE was the only empire in Western Europe during this timeframe CK allows for alternative paths" or something along those lines.

Also post #100!!:D

Edit: Gah emu'd. My answer was more in depth though!

Huh, I never knew that. I thought there was only the HRE and the Byzantines.

Huh, I never knew that. I thought there was only the HRE and the Byzantines.

Well it was just a trait so in your list of traits you would see Emperor. I think it just added some prestige when you got it.

It was nice seeing that crown next to the schizophrenia trait. :rofl:

The whole Emperor of Hispania was the imagination part. This game is alll about imagination, more so than other major P'Dox titles IMO. Although I've yet to see anybody top the Horthy Maddening, best AAR IMO. Too bad it is dead. R.I.P. Horthy.

*If* hypothetically they didn't allow you to create your own empire when combining a lot of kingdoms together, should they incorporate more pre-created historic empires that either existed beforehand or after the time period? You just need the necessary lands (just like you need for a Duke for example, but much, much, greater), the necessary prestige, and etc.

I'm trying to brainstorm all of the empires that existed in Western Europe, and any that *could* exist in CK2's timeframe.

HRE - which we already know it's in there.
Carolingian Empire - Basically pre-cursor to HRE, yet it also covered France. So basically, you need both France and Germany.
Western Roman Empire - Fell about 400 years earlier
Roman Empire - You need to get the "Western Roman Empire" as well as "Byzantine Empire" to combine them.

Were there any others around this time period, before or after that I didn't list? Mind you, I do want the option to create our own empires by combining King titles, but if that isn't allowed perhaps this option is the next best (or at least can be modded later).

Last edited:
*If* hypothetically they didn't allow you to create your own empire when combining a lot of kingdoms together, should they incorporate more pre-created historic empires that either existed beforehand or after the time period? You just need the necessary lands (just like you need for a Duke for example, but much, much, greater), the necessary prestige, and etc.

I'm trying to brainstorm all of the empires that existed in Western Europe, and any that *could* exist in CK2's timeframe.

HRE - which we already know it's in there.
Carolingian Empire - Basically pre-cursor to HRE, yet it also covered France. So basically, you need both France and Germany.
Western Roman Empire - Fell about 400 years earlier
Roman Empire - You need to get the "Western Roman Empire" as well as "Byzantine Empire" to combine them.

Were there any others around this time period, before or after that I didn't list? Mind you, I do want the option to create our own empires by combining King titles, but if that isn't allowed perhaps this option is the next best (or at least can be modded later).

Like others have already said, some kings of Leon claimed the title 'Emperor of Hispania' (Imperator totius Hispaniae) even at times when most of Spain was controlled by the Moors.

In the East there was the Bulgarian Empire and the Serbian Empire, though both claimed to be co-emperors of the Byzantine Empire, where the Byzantine Emperor in Constantinople was considered the 'junior partner' by them.

re Spain

Having done a bit of reading about this (I don't know as much about Spain as I possibly ought): I think that while the various figures that claimed the title Emperor of Spain before the C12 were asserting their authority over the kings of the peninsular (to various levels of success), the kings themselves generally held a level of power similar to that of the more important dukes in France or the HRE (or even in England). I'm talking about those like the dukes of Aquitaine, Toulouse, Anjou, Britany, Flanders etc. I think it's fair to compare these figures to say the king of Leon or Navarre or Aragon etc. Esentially, we can say that the Emperor of Spain was on the same tier as the king of France or England, while the kings of Spain were the same tier as the dukes of France and England. In much the same way, no-one could claim that the minor kings of Ireland in this period were on the same tier as those of France and England (or Scotland for that matter). Of course, this is all subjective and a symptom of imposing an arbitrary system of tiers on a system that in reality was multi-faceted. Moreover, the claiming of the title of Emperor was massively controversial with the Papacy and the HRE.

re the Bulgarian and Serbian Emperors, I prefer to see these as claimants to the Byzantine Emperorship for gameplay and historic purposes. The same could probably apply to the Russian Tsars later on, but that's starting to get out of the period (although I suppose given that this is a sandbox game this could apply).

I'm still wondering if people had the option of kingdoms being merged into an emprie, how will it be named?

I was looking at a bunch of maps that represent the period, and I did notice that on one of them during Charlemagne's period, that it read "Empire of Charles the Great" while another read "Charlemagne's Empire" and another read "Carolingian Empire".

Or it could be named from the ruler's dynasty, such as if your name is Robert Guiscard, it would be the "Guiscard Empire". It would be kind of a power trip to see your dynasty name on the big map. It would also be a power trip to have it like the example in the above paragraph, such as "Empire of Robert Guiscard".

Granted I do believe anything huge like an empire should be hard to keep, and you'll always be walking a fine line concerning keeping it together and having it fall apart (horrible civil wars between sons, etc). It would be kinda fun to reminisce of the past, when your one and most notable King had all of that, and now you are only a King in some backwater corner of Europe. Oh the memories... :D

I'm still wondering if people had the option of kingdoms being merged into an emprie, how will it be named?

I was looking at a bunch of maps that represent the period, and I did notice that on one of them during Charlemagne's period, that it read "Empire of Charles the Great" while another read "Charlemagne's Empire" and another read "Carolingian Empire".

Or it could be named from the ruler's dynasty, such as if your name is Robert Guiscard, it would be the "Guiscard Empire". It would be kind of a power trip to see your dynasty name on the big map. It would also be a power trip to have it like the example in the above paragraph, such as "Empire of Robert Guiscard".

Granted I do believe anything huge like an empire should be hard to keep, and you'll always be walking a fine line concerning keeping it together and having it fall apart (horrible civil wars between sons, etc). It would be kinda fun to reminisce of the past, when your one and most notable King had all of that, and now you are only a King in some backwater corner of Europe. Oh the memories... :D

Since CK2 is based on the Clausewitz Engine, we alreay know with a high certainty that all nations must have pre-defined names.

Of course you can say, this is a new game and they might code it differently, but I don't think that such 'basic' things can be changed.

Since CK2 is based on the Clausewitz Engine, we alreay know with a high certainty that all nations must have pre-defined names.

Of course you can say, this is a new game and they might code it differently, but I don't think that such 'basic' things can be changed.

True, but who's to say they won't incorporate some type of if/then statement in the code.

If not [empire], then [realmname]

If [empire], then [Empire of [dynastyname]]

or something like that. :D

True, but who's to say they won't incorporate some type of if/then statement in the code.

If not [empire], then [realmname]

If [empire], then [Empire of [dynastyname]]

or something like that. :D

You say 'true' and make a statement that says my statement isn't true at all. :)

Look at the games released with the Clausewitz engine so far then you will know how realm-names are coded.

That is very unlikely to change.

You say 'true' and make a statement that says my statement isn't true at all. :)

Look at the games released with the Clausewitz engine so far then you will know how realm-names are coded.

That is very unlikely to change.

Just because something may not happen, doesn't mean it won't. It may be a feature that is different for CK2 than the other games powered by that engine, who knows.

Victoria II as a feature has multiple names for the same tag, depending on government (So for example the 'United Kingdom' won't be called that if it's a republic). It's not implausible to have dynamic country names in CK2.

Paradox generally doesn't let engine limitations to get in the way of a new game.

Victoria II as a feature has multiple names for the same tag, depending on government (So for example the 'United Kingdom' won't be called that if it's a republic). It's not implausible to have dynamic country names in CK2.

aye, and thus: It would be great to have Duchy/Principality/Kingdom/Empire ect show up also on the map and in realm name

That's right, I even have Vicky 2 and didn't even consider that (I just played it an hour ago too haha). The only question left would be.. what to call it. Named by dynasty, named by first kingdom, hmmm..

That's right, I even have Vicky 2 and didn't even consider that (I just played it an hour ago too haha). The only question left would be.. what to call it. Named by dynasty, named by first kingdom, hmmm..

named by player, and remembered in the save file

Paradox generally doesn't let engine limitations to get in the way of a new game.

All those names are pre-defined in the game files.

If you want empire names based on the dynastie that forms it then you must pre-define all dynastie-names in the game as possible empire-names.