+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tariffs or no Tariffs?

English Francophile Fire_Unionist's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3For The GloryHearts of Iron III
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Rome: Vae Victis
    500k club

Tariffs or no Tariffs?

What is generally your policy? As I'm usually rolling in money, I usually just subsidize all the way. Are tariffs better?

I generally prefer to max out tariffs. For some reason it makes my middle class happy.
    It's not that there aren't enough hours in the day. Just that I'm not awake for enough of the ones already available. - Karen Ellis

You may also know/hate me as Semaphore >.> <.<

Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest HourEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneMagickaMarch of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordPride of NationsRise of Prussia
    500k club

I use tariffs, I'm running on the belief it encourages my capitalists to buy their goods domestically, building me an industrial base, enriching my national economy and making me money. It goes against my free market tendencies but, I want the money now!

English Francophile Fire_Unionist's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3For The GloryHearts of Iron III
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Rome: Vae Victis
    500k club

But if money was not a problem(I'm making way too much), would you still use tariffs?

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine WindFor The Glory
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLost Empire - ImmortalsEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

Blog Entries
    I set my tariffs at -2 to-4%

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Max tariff with 25% tax for me. Nearly all population will get their luxury good with such setting.

Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest HourEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneMagickaMarch of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordPride of NationsRise of Prussia
    500k club

Quote Originally Posted by Fire_Unionist View Post
    But if money was not a problem(I'm making way too much), would you still use tariffs?
    Then I would personally drop them, in theory your capitalists should build a more stable and profitable economy based on world demand and not the artificial one imposed on them through your tariffs.

I think the higher tariffs help your artisans if your POPs are buying foreign the middle class artisans go broke. Same as if you sell to much from your stockpile domestically

The theory would be that if your POP has to buy foreign goods, by having high tariffs, they will have a hard time buying foreign goods. By subsidizing you would be able to help them buy foreign goods.

However, what seems to work the best is just making your RGO profitable, which makes your POPs very rich, and even at 100% tariffs they can afford even luxury goods.

Even as a weak nation, you can make your RGO very profitable within a few years with the correct technologies. Half of your income will probably come from tariffs and your people will still be happy. If you are worried about making too much money, you can just build a huge army and navy. By taking as much money as possible, you can slow down the broken population promoting as well.

at begin i also went up to -20 % tariffs, but sadly, that your own people dont actually buy everything from your nations production. ....

Better is 100% tariffs, so that the imports as low as possible. This will make your nation as whole richer. In V2 u actually handle less the budget , but more the national (closed ) economy. In a closed system the sum remains ever the same * ( practically, except gold , blockade,... ).

So in a closed system u can actually build an army/navy for 1M - and the whole money returns in your pocket. Factories sell more goods. Better profits -> more income for the worker -> higher income of pops -> higher tax/national bank /tariffs.

So in a closed system u can enact all the social reforms, except better wages(seems broken), u can have 6% bureaucrats and 4% clergyman with 100% investments, ... and still make profits , but other distributed ( so tax 100% isnt actually something bad ).

other examples. : when u subsidize a factory with 2000 money a day , but u fullfill the requirement to not import anything for it - u actually don't make deficit. U just distribute the money and it will raise the solds from the inputs and so mostly the labours will gain more income.

Anyway other nations will never go over 5% tariff. So they bleed out . In my game actually only GB still can export some stuff. But cause of my massive overproduction some goods prices are actually quite low. and other nations industry collapses . France / USA about 300 industrial points at about 1895 , and this are the nr.3 and 4 in the world.

Far as I know, everyone gets their goods on the local market first no matter what. Thus saying that high tariffs makes them get it locally first is .. well.. wrong ;P
    I think tariffs are in place to control the over promotion of POPs to rich strata, when taxes aren't enough. I havent really done the math, but i think taxes are only on salaries they make from selling their goods and tariffs are on goods they buy.

Corporal
    Victoria 2

Wolverhampton, England, United Kingdom, 108243952533545, Wolverhampton
    I have -25% tarriffs, and i tax all classes 45%. I have a very lassei economic policy, but my government is tory (uk). I only interviene to expand factorys or build railways. It seems to be working because i am spending 100% on all the public spending, and i am making +700 a day.

Also i have just colonised north west canada, so i am NF on clerks in south east, and craftsmen in the midlands (england)

Quote Originally Posted by varonel View Post
    Far as I know, everyone gets their goods on the local market first no matter what. Thus saying that high tariffs makes them get it locally first is .. well.. wrong ;P
    I also thought so, but .
    at some point my whole money starved.
    My industries hardly sold anything.

After i raised tariffs first up to 40%, and some days later up to 100%.

my money was raising extremely.
    And my industry goods sold better.

market activity told me that time, trade ledger told me , max export value about 150k and import something about 8k. I still do import grain ,.. may 2 G people are too much for my only unciv/colony gains....

try it

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    DiplomacyEast India CompanyEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMagicka
    Majesty 2EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    SengokuSword of the StarsSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

The Anarcho-Syndicalist Commune of Atlantis
    Does -100% subsidies mean that your people can get anything for 0% cost from foreign markets?

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultEast India Company
    For The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    Majesty II CollectionEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Mount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcanePride of NationsCK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderWarlock 2: The Exiled

Use taxes only when tariffs do not do the job. Try to equalize income and spending unless gearing up for something big.
    There are three roads to ruin: by gambling, which is the quickest; through women, which is the most pleasurable; and through taking the advice of experts, which is the most certain.

Charles André Joseph Marie De Gaulle

Quote Originally Posted by AlknicTeos View Post
    I also thought so, but .
    at some point my whole money starved.
    My industries hardly sold anything.

After i raised tariffs first up to 40%, and some days later up to 100%.

my money was raising extremely.
    And my industry goods sold better.

market activity told me that time, trade ledger told me , max export value about 150k and import something about 8k. I still do import grain ,.. may 2 G people are too much for my only unciv/colony gains....

try it

Useless, 2 months later artisans can't afford to buy anything and factories in deflict is still in deflict.

Pops get their goods from whichever is cheapest, so raising tariffs usually means they'll get goods from the local market. Alternately, if your country is importing a lot of goods, then lowering tariffs can make those goods cheaper, thus making your producers more effective and able to pay you more taxes...

So if the main problem is over-supply then it can't be helped?

Quote Originally Posted by SchwarzKatze View Post
    So if the main problem is over-supply then it can't be helped?
    You can increase demand for some things yourself. Raise more armies, especially later units like Guards etc. This will increase demand since you need to buy them for your stockpile. You can also take over manual trade and just start buying stuff up with your cash (which should then make the goods more valuable, increasing pop income, increasing tax revenue, giving you back the cash). Try to promote more craftsmen and capitalists, since they have crazy needs requirements which should increase demand (but only if your factories are doing well, otherwise they will demote).

Quote Originally Posted by quetzilla View Post
    Pops get their goods from whichever is cheapest, so raising tariffs usually means they'll get goods from the local market. Alternately, if your country is importing a lot of goods, then lowering tariffs can make those goods cheaper, thus making your producers more effective and able to pay you more taxes...
    isnt the price everywhere the same ?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast